• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW submit to ORR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsatan

Established Member
Unless the DfT decides to send the 168s elsewhere which means ATW won't be able to use them. On the other hand, if ATW did ask for them, I'm not sure if they're cleared to run from Shrewsbury - Aberystwyth since they're a bit wider than the 158s.

I think the inhabitants of Aberystwyth would appreciate a through service to London since WSMR runs only 4 times a day from Shrewsbury (and the service, from what I've read, is fairly slow) and changing at Birmingham NS isn't much fun.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If there is to be an Aberystwyth-London service it should be provided by something better than class 158 DMUs though! Can you honestly imagine yourself being comfortable travelling on one of those for 5 hours between Aber and London?? Frankly having B'ham International-Aberystwyth done with 158s is already bad enough. They should already be planning to replace the 158s in general, demoting them to lesser services, such as on the Heart of Wales Line.

tbtc

Veteran Member
If there is to be an Aberystwyth-London service it should be provided by something better than class 158 DMUs though!

As I've said in this thread, what though?

They should already be planning to replace the 158s in general, demoting them to lesser services, such as on the Heart of Wales Line

An "all stops" service like the Heart of Wales line would be a real waste for units with the top speed of the 158

asylumxl

Established Member
SWT trains 159s are lovely. They currently go all the way to Penzance, and while I've only been on one for 2 hours it was very pleasurable!

If ATW refurbs them to a good standard they'll work fine.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
In the pre-arriva days, they used to run a 153 from Holyhead, to Pemroke Dock, via crewe and cardiff and took about 5 hours. Since I lived in HH and had to work out of pembroke dock some weeks I had to use it several times and it was hell.

By comparison a 158 Aber to Marl would be luxury.

it must have been in BR days and
it takes a 175 over 5 hours just to Cardiff, then another 3 hours on that
to Pem dock, FNW never sent a train south to my knowledge.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I didn't know there were any direct North-South services before Arriva's time. Do you have any more details?

I can recall a couple.

1.27 years ago, I used to catch, the 1820? one a day loco hauled service CDF to Holyhead via Crewe, I have no idea how it went back to CDF, its stock had
WR on the carriages, pulled by a class 40, this was at the same time all CDF Manchesters were loco hauled, I always took the car from Shrewsbury home.
Several of us soon learned, The Welsh Office Minister was Wynn Roberts,who lived in Aberconwy and was MP for Conwy and on his late afternoons in Cathys Park wanted something better to get home than a Ministerial car,however I recall him always taking a Ministerial car from Conwy to Runcorn to catch a London train, asked why by a colleague, he said"Its quicker than
getting a London train from the Junction"
So a kind of early "Gerald Wag Express" so to speak.

2.Another attempt by Politicians to run a railway was the Direct CDF to Holyhead Wales & West 158 two coach DMU, WAG paid £1M to have this train
run via Wrexham for a years trial,at the Time Local M.P. & A.M for Wrexham was John Marrick sponsored by the NUR (now RTM), to shut him up, this
DMU run was commenced, 0700 ex CDF into HLD six hours later, having called
at every station Shrewsbury to Holyhead, including the crazy Junction/Llandudno/junction triangle, due to its time scale, it was only seen as a local, non of my colleagues would use it, the service was pulled after a year. Oh it returned ex Holyhead,same route around 1400.

On another point, I notice in the ATW media release, only two 158s are
mentioned to/from London, the consultation paper of last January,offered
a summer service to Pwlhelli & a service from Shrewsbury to London plus a Sunday service also starting at Shrewsbury, these seem to have been dropped.

It is still my opinion that if the All Wales Franchise, does in fact have extra capacity, this could & should be used within the franchise area
to at least attempt to solve the chronic overcrowding of trains in the North
or run them in Mid Wales, what happens if & when a 158 fails between say
International & London, who tows it back, Wales & Borders on their attempt
to run a 158 Manchester to Waterloo service via Shrewsbury & Newport, found units failed often, I recall a programme on BBC about the problems
with WAGN showing a failed W&B unit in a siding in the South east & the
MD of WAGN playing hell about it holding up his trains. This attempt by W&B
was also pulled as a failure, as were FNWs attempt to take on VT with services to Euston when they hired in old Stanstead Express stock.

As the idea is with the ORR, we shall see the outcome.

Last edited:

steve099

I would be interested in WAG's response to such a request. As I understand it, hourly Aber-Shrews(-Intl) is being sought by 2011 or so, should this not be a priority rather than direct sevices to London? That would perhaps enable paths to be used for WSMR, who are already 'established' and 'sponsored' by the Welsh Assembly.

delt1c

Established Member
The opening post mentioned refurbishment of the 158's so cant see what all the fuss is about, Scot rail use 158's on long distance services and also 156's on the West Highland , they are in almost as built but have been refreshed internally, so if it is OK for Scottish services why not English and Welsh services? Has already been mentioned that the 159's have long runs and they are among the finest DMU's on the rails. Amazing how many "experts" put down proposals before they get of the ground.
Operators cant have new stock for every new service , they have to make the best use of existing resources, this applied as much in BR days as now, that is why BR had cascade policies.
I used the Watgerloo Cardiff service years ago and that was a 158, didnt have a problem with comfort on it.
I am sure if it was proposed to withdraw a service there would (quite rightly) be an uproar, instead of critising the companies we should be applauding them and giving them our support.

The Planner

Veteran Member
As I understand it, hourly Aber-Shrews(-Intl) is being sought by 2011 or so, should this not be a priority rather than direct sevices to London?
Needs ERTMS to work first, and thats slipping all the time. It is only ever going to be hourly to Shrewsbury, you wont get more paths to International. Surely ATWs priority is also to make a profit and pay dividends to any shareholders, aswell as providing a service specc'd by the WAG or DfT ?? so if they think there is some money in running to Marylebone, why not ??

merlodlliw

Established Member
I would be interested in WAG's response to such a request. As I understand it, hourly Aber-Shrews(-Intl) is being sought by 2011 or so, should this not be a priority rather than direct sevices to London? That would perhaps enable paths to be used for WSMR, who are already 'established' and 'sponsored' by the Welsh Assembly.

I agree with you,however the sponsorship, was to get Wrexham GeneraL bays into use, which had been neglected for decades.

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Needs ERTMS to work first, and thats slipping all the time. It is only ever going to be hourly to Shrewsbury, you wont get more paths to International

The only way I could see it working would be if they ran the Birmingham - Shrewsbury - Chester - Holyhead service in place of the XX.05 London Midland service from New Street to Shrewsbury - admittedly that'd be a slower journey from Birmingham to north Wales - but may make things marginally easier to have just one TOC west of Wolverhampton (ignoring WMSR for now) - that'd then give paths for the Aberystwyth service to go hourly as far as Birmingham International.

The ATW plan for Aberystwyth looked positive - trains time at getting people from London to be able to take breaks in Wales - encourage tourism and investment - rather than *only* to give people in Wales a day out to London, so the trains are busy in both directions.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
bring it on (only because I could possibly go to London free the long way round haha) I like 158's but even I'm not so sure 158's are suited to it myself mind, even a 175 would be an improvement for such a long run.

route:oxford

Established Member
If the 158s aren't suitable, what is?

Perhaps, given time, the 172 range?

Say for example a 172/6 (Just to confirm, this is fantasy)...

Six Car unit based on the the 172 range that is currently being built for London Midland & Chiltern.

Just a few specifications to make it more suitable for the "run"...

100 mph specification
End-doors
Buffet capable of providing full hot meals (essential to meet WAG approval).
First Class available
High Capacity Standard Class seating with plenty of luggage space.

merlodlliw

Established Member
The only way I could see it working would be if they ran the Birmingham - Shrewsbury - Chester - Holyhead service in place of the XX.05 London Midland service from New Street to Shrewsbury - admittedly that'd be a slower journey from Birmingham to north Wales - but may make things marginally easier to have just one TOC west of Wolverhampton (ignoring WMSR for now) - that'd then give paths for the Aberystwyth service to go hourly as far as Birmingham International.

The ATW plan for Aberystwyth looked positive - trains time at getting people from London to be able to take breaks in Wales - encourage tourism and investment - rather than *only* to give people in Wales a day out to London, so the trains are busy in both directions.

All due respect,Wolves to Shrewsbury is also LM land, I hope LM stay to offer
a choice. But can a train from Aber offer a day out,answer not really, with
ten hours travel minimum to/from London.

tbtc

Veteran Member
All due respect,Wolves to Shrewsbury is also LM land, I hope LM stay to offer a choice

But there's surely logic in that passing to ATW - it's the only diesel route LM run on that route north west of Birmingham (all the other Wolves services are EMU), plus giving it to ATW would simplify things in the event of a breakdown (like the example you posted a couple of months ago), and for route knowledge etc.

I'm all for keeping as few TOCs on a corridor as possible - "competition" is pretty wasteful - the existing LM service to Shrewsbury would fit better with ATW

emoaconr

I noted yesterday, the 9.20 CDF-HHD service was served by a 150, delayed by 39 minutes and terminated at Chester. I can't say I know the issue that caused this, but ATW's stock doesn't seem to be going in the right places lately. People moan about 158's... in this circumstance, most people would be grateful of a 158 over a 150.

Thankfully I was only travelling between Wrexham General and Chester.

fgwrich

Established Member
The opening post mentioned refurbishment of the 158's so cant see what all the fuss is about, Scot rail use 158's on long distance services and also 156's on the West Highland , they are in almost as built but have been refreshed internally, so if it is OK for Scottish services why not English and Welsh services? Has already been mentioned that the 159's have long runs and they are among the finest DMU's on the rails. Amazing how many "experts" put down proposals before they get of the ground.
Operators cant have new stock for every new service , they have to make the best use of existing resources, this applied as much in BR days as now, that is why BR had cascade policies.
I used the Watgerloo Cardiff service years ago and that was a 158, didnt have a problem with comfort on it.
I am sure if it was proposed to withdraw a service there would (quite rightly) be an uproar, instead of critising the companies we should be applauding them and giving them our support.

FSR's 156 and 158 Fleet have had quite a hefty overhaul and interior refurbishements...

The only original things left in FSR's 156s really are the seats - everything else interally has been recoverd or repainted and new interior lights - if you want a barley refurbished 156 - Try National Express East Anglia

As for the 158 Fleet - How you can say there next to nothing new i dont know - FSR recently completed a full interior overhaul on most* of there 158 fleet which included brand new grammer seats - the same as fitted to First Great Westerns HST's, New interal lighting, new carpets, fully repainted interiors, Brand new PA System, renewed if not brand new First Class, Large lugguage racks and most nicest touch of all, Seats that actually line up with the windows!!!

So as for theyve been barley refurbished since knew, you know who you can blame for that...Nat Ex...

And, unlike the ATW plans, FSR Actually provide a trolley service on the Far North line and most of the West Highland Line services...Another thing that certainly does put me off from say travelling on a 158 for 5 hours from london to Mid wales still dosent appeal to me...And what about First Class might i add...

*Almost all but the Ex Wessex Trains & SWT 158's - Though FSR have tidied up the ex wessex units quite neatly...

To be honest, i think that if Arriva are 100% serious about this, then perhaps 175's should be used until the ETRMS is fitted and by that time hopefully the 158's should be refurbished with Air con and a decent interior and hopefully more reliable...

Oh and to show FSR's 158 interiors - see my attached pictures - inc the ATW/W&B's 158 interior pic from Wikipedia - Youll see the differance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:158868_Interior.JPG

FSR 158
http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Inverness+Class+158+Refurbishment

And one more thing, do they actually have research from people in that part of wales saying that they would actually use the new London Service? theres now point running a train from God knows where to London hoping people will use it...Thing is, i will give support to TOC's who can already provide a reliable service with proven demand for it, this service on the other hand, is one im far more sceptical about!

***Edit - Sorry - misread your quote...

Attachments

• DSC08231.jpg
    DSC08231.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC08232.jpg
    DSC08232.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC03018.jpg
    DSC03018.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03019.jpg
    DSC03019.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC07887.jpg
    DSC07887.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 16

delt1c

Established Member
oK so the FSR 158's have been refurbished and are suitable for along joiurneys, this proves then there is nothing wrong with the basic desigm and they are capable unitATW say they wish to refurbish their 158's so why wouldnt they be suitable? Have the negative posters beem staring at their (Crystal) Balls and seen visions of the reurbs or are they guesing? Many new services have been written of before they started and then turned out to be a sucsess, look at the Stanstead to Stratford service.
As for Nat ex I dont need reminding of their refurbs.s

krus_aragon

Established Member
fgwrich said:
Though if Arriva are 100% serious about this, then perhaps 175's should be used until the ETRMS is fitted and by that time hopefully the 158's should be refurbished with Air con and a decent interior and hopefully more reliable...

Trouble is: the Cambrian currently uses RETB, which the 175s don't have. Furthermore: the 175s don't have end gangways, and use a different coupler to the 158s, so to get enough units to run to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli you'd have to put 158s on the Holyhead-Cardiff and Carmarthen-Manchester services.

merlodlliw

Established Member
And one more thing, do they actually have research from people in that part of wales saying that they would actually use the new London Service? theres now point running a train from God knows where to London hoping people will use it...Thing is, i will give support to TOC's who can already provide a reliable service with proven demand for it, this service on the other hand, is one im far more sceptical about! thread 46

This message from ATWs web site on the media release, says it all,WAG Regional Offices in Aber, so one asks why not a Service to Cardiff, you are correct in being sceptical, Market research is better aimed at those who will
travel, not the high & the mighty, I myself still think this is a spoiler, put forward by ATW as do others, if W/S fold,hope they dont,ATW will drop this
service like a stone, that is if the ORR gives its OK,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The refurbs of the ATWs 158s(London) were on the ATW web site from January to
end of consultation , so they have been seen by both positive & negative
posters, with all due respect. They were also on hard copy at both Aber,Machynlleth
& Shrewsbury stations. Stanstead services may be a success due to population,Mid Wales
is the lowest populated area in Wales,Aber the largest town is only 33 on the census lists, with less than 16 thousand all year residents.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I noted yesterday, the 9.20 CDF-HHD service was served by a 150, delayed by 39 minutes and terminated at Chester. I can't say I know the issue that caused this, but ATW's stock doesn't seem to be going in the right places lately. People moan about 158's... in this circumstance, most people would be grateful of a 158 over a 150.

Thankfully I was only travelling between Wrexham General and Chester.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I read on the log on approach to Newport it had speedo troubles (kept dropping to 0) and the quickest thing to do was to swap units with the cheltenham-maesteg -only thing available in the area and return the 158 to Canton.

emoaconr

...but it's the biggest place in west Wales ;)[/QUOT

Ok if we are being perdantic, its actually in Mid West Wales.

The other two areas are South West Wales & North West Wales.

The unitary area of South West Wales is the biggest of all three.With
Swansea by far the largest of them all.
Everbody has different opinions of what is in which arbitary area :P
Some people assume Aber and wider Cardiganshire is in Mid Wales, whilst the entirety of preserved Dyfed (Cardiganshire, Pembrokeshire, Camarthenshire) is often referred to as "West Wales". Some people include Swansea, some people don't :P There's no law to what is North/Mid/South/West Wales. Along with the three sets of "counties" we can apply, its a rather confusing situation! Wikipedia seems to think Ceredigion is in Mid Wales with Powys, but I don't think it matters :P

merlodlliw

Established Member
Everbody has different opinions of what is in which arbitary area :P
Some people assume Aber and wider Cardiganshire is in Mid Wales, whilst the entirety of preserved Dyfed (Cardiganshire, Pembrokeshire, Camarthenshire) is often referred to as "West Wales". Some people include Swansea, some people don't :P There's no law to what is North/Mid/South/West Wales. Along with the three sets of "counties" we can apply, its a rather confusing situation! Wikipedia seems to think Ceredigion is in Mid Wales with Powys, but I don't think it matters :P

Ok, its just how its seen by funders & local Govt now

Status
Not open for further replies.