• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Drivers Pwllehli & Machynlleth

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw1ller

Established Member
It appears both positions are now closed, and ATW are in the process of shortlisting candidates.

Good luck all who applied, please post updates if / when you hear anything!

Yes, good luck to all. Wish we could all get the job.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jones

Oh S**t!

Been away for a few days and was going to apply today as the closing date was 23rd.

:(

sw1ller

Established Member
Oh S**t!

Been away for a few days and was going to apply today as the closing date was 23rd.

:(

Sounds like my luck that.... Got an interview for DRS at Crewe and I didn't know about it till I got back off holiday, by which time the date had been and past!

Sorry to hear that anyway, is Cardiff too far for you??

Jones

Sounds like my luck that.... Got an interview for DRS at Crewe and I didn't know about it till I got back off holiday, by which time the date had been and past!

Grew up in Pwllheli (notice the spelling ;) ) and just returned after 20+ years. It would have been perfect, but I will relocate so no issues really :D

TDK

Established Member

I would have certainly ensured that this information would have got to me if I was on Mars.

Jones

Contacted ATW to ask if I could send in a lat application due to my PC crashing and got a polite sod off :D

Oddly I thought the statement about it staying open until they had enough applications to mean it would stay open later not close early. Given most of these posts have the hour limit I assumed they would struggle.

I was wrong. :cry:

Beveridges

Established Member
TOC's never struggle for numbers with trainee driver vacancies.

TOC's never struggle for numbers with any vacancies for any grade.

Except maybe Cleaners and Gateline where the pay is often poor.

Jones

Around £40K a year certainly does .....

You'd be surprised how many £40k+ earners that are in the area. Hated the area and moved asap but having returned recently I'm surprised how much money is here now.

Still full of idiots tho :D

carlejo

Contacted ATW to ask if I could send in a lat application due to my PC crashing and got a polite sod off :D

Oddly I thought the statement about it staying open until they had enough applications to mean it would stay open later not close early. Given most of these posts have the hour limit I assumed they would struggle.

I was wrong. :cry:

last year they had 2000 applicants for 8 posts, that's why they may have closed it early this time

Gareth Marston

Established Member
You'd be surprised how many £40k+ earners that are in the area. Hated the area and moved asap but having returned recently I'm surprised how much money is here now.

Still full of idiots tho :D

The GVA per head in Gwynedd in 2012 was £14,675 compared with UK average of £20,873, it's a poor county where the few train drivers have a wage nearly twice the national average GVA per person.

GVA being Gross Vale Added ie GDP divided by population.

sw1ller

Established Member
The GVA per head in Gwynedd in 2012 was £14,675 compared with UK average of £20,873, it's a poor county where the few train drivers have a wage nearly twice the national average GVA per person.

That's incredible! do the house prices reflect this too? I will be looking to rent as soon as I hear anything back to get prepared for the interview.

Jones

That sounds about right, but the area does have it's wealth. Mostly agriculture and leisure but the property bubble in the area has been simmering for at least 15 years. My first property is now worth 5 times what I paid for it. The rest of my properties were sold before the market went up, sadly.

Can't move for Range Rover Sports and pimped out L200's in the summer.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
That's incredible! do the house prices reflect this too? I will be looking to rent as soon as I hear anything back to get prepared for the interview.

Doesn't necessarily reflect in the house prices depends where and what your after. There's a higher percentage of retired folk who have moved in and bought fuelling house prices but don't have a large income. Council is a big employer but like many in Wales will be shedding shortly, little industry, tourism and farming are big sectors but not noted for their large salaries. There are some places that are holiday haunts of the prosperous such as Abersoch and Aberdovey. Huge Marina at Pwllheli. Having first gone up the Cambrian Coast in 1980 I would say the coast resorts look nicer and more prosperous than 30 years ago.

Jones

Rental market is very much you get what you pay for.

Personally, If I had got the job I would have moved away from Pwllheli into the country and driven to work.

Cannot express how much of a dump Pwllheli is, and awful if you don't speak Welsh.

TDK

Established Member
last year they had 2000 applicants for 8 posts, that's why they may have closed it early this time

I was told it was 890 applications before they closed it, where did you get these figures?

greatkingrat

Established Member
Even in London the median salary is about 30k so a train driver would be well above average.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Put it this way - drivers wages even in London are above "middle management jobs" - the latter will pay around £35K for a station manager with on call responsibilities for example.

Beveridges

Established Member
Put it this way - drivers wages even in London are above "middle management jobs" - the latter will pay around £35K for a station manager with on call responsibilities for example.

A Driver is far more highly trained than a Station Manager. I have worked with Station Managers, all they have done is worked their way up from a Despatcher.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A Driver is far more highly trained than a Station Manager. I have worked with Station Managers, all they have done is worked their way up from a Despatcher.

Not a critiscism of either drivers or "station managers" - (not like my generation of SM's who were fully Ops trained and practical) ! - however there is a lot to be said for doing your work and going home and not being the slave of the "Control or Service delivery centre" ......

Beveridges

Established Member
Yes but their pay in comparison to ordinary Despatchers reflects this extra duty

Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member
Rental market is very much you get what you pay for.

Personally, If I had got the job I would have moved away from Pwllheli into the country and driven to work.

Cannot express how much of a dump Pwllheli is, and awful if you don't speak Welsh.

I've been to Pwhelli it is not a dump at all!! Compare it to most places in Greater Manchester!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree about the language barrier - Do not expect to make any friends with the locals. But the place has its advantages. You've got both the coast and Snowdonia national park on your doorstep.
Living outside Pwllheli won't cause problems - the roads around the area are scenic and fast flowing with no traffic jams, it is actually a pleasure to drive around rather than the usual misery found in built up parts of England.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.