• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Drivers Pwllehli & Machynlleth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones

I've been to Pwhelli it is not a dump at all!! Compare it to most places in Greater Manchester!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree about the language barrier - Do not expect to make any friends with the locals. But the place has its advantages. You've got both the coast and Snowdonia national park on your doorstep. The roads around the area are scenic and fast flowing with no traffic jams, it is actually a pleasure to drive around rather than a misery.

With respect I'm a Welsh speaking local who just returned after 20 years and cannot believe how much it's gone downhill. Apart from a Costa, new Weatherspoons and a few shops there is nothing here. Houses are cripplingly expensive, don't think a mortgage (3x45k) is going to get you much house wise, maybe a small 2 bedroom terrace, and if you can't speak Welsh you will feel comparisons to deliverance. No banjo's here, hard to play with 5 fingers.

:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
I've been to Pwhelli it is not a dump at all!! Compare it to most places in Greater Manchester!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree about the language barrier - Do not expect to make any friends with the locals. But the place has its advantages. You've got both the coast and Snowdonia national park on your doorstep.
Living outside Pwllheli won't cause problems - the roads around the area are scenic and fast flowing with no traffic jams, it is actually a pleasure to drive around rather than the usual misery found in built up parts of England.

Sorry to risk starting an off-topic spat, but ...

Of course, one could make the effort of learning the local language.

Beveridges

Established Member
Yes but if your not a very fast learner one would struggle to learn a new job and a new language at the same time.

SWTH

With respect I'm a Welsh speaking local who just returned after 20 years and cannot believe how much it's gone downhill. Apart from a Costa, new Weatherspoons and a few shops there is nothing here. Houses are cripplingly expensive, don't think a mortgage (3x45k) is going to get you much house wise, maybe a small 2 bedroom terrace, and if you can't speak Welsh you will feel comparisons to deliverance. No banjo's here, hard to play with 5 fingers.

:D

Never quite understood why Pwllheli is expensive. That said, there are plenty of decent places within the allowed 60mins travel time that are cheaper, and well within the reach of 3x£32k, or even the initial training rate if you have a partner who also works full time. Cornwall is similar, though even more expensive in terms of both houses and living costs - once you've been here for a few years and done all the touristy things, it can be very boring unless there's something specific you like doing. Fortunately most of my hobbies are well catered for in Gwynedd.

I don't speak Welsh fluently, but having spent a significant proportion of my life in Wales, I have picked up enough to make life much easier. I do want to become fluent, but as I spend most of my time in Cornwall at the moment I have nobody to converse with on a daily basis.

rob12

Has anybody heard anything yet? I can't remember when they closed the job actually but thinking it must be a month at least

TDK

Established Member
Sorry to risk starting an off-topic spat, but ...

Of course, one could make the effort of learning the local language.

The local language is English as they all speak it most likely!

Established Member
*runs for cover*

*yn rhedeg ar gyfer cyflenwi* or something ;)

Jones

*runs for cover*

*yn rhedeg ar gyfer cyflenwi* or something ;)

I think that means "running on behalf of the supply" :D

....having had to speak Welsh again after 20 years :oops:

sw1ller

Established Member
Sorry to be a bore and get back on topic....... but has anyone heard anything yet?

sw1ller

Established Member
Cheers, last time I applied I heard back quite quickly...... I didn't do a very good job on the big write up part. They told me it was a shoddy job quite quickly.

Spent much longer on it this time so fingers crossed, good luck pal.

Jones

But very true

Absolutely. There are still a few locals who only speak Welsh but they're usually 80+ .
The real issue is the few who demand everything is bilingual, and only speak Welsh to be awkward.

The Welsh Government actually pay for translators in local council meetings.

DIESELPOWER

Absolutely. There are still a few locals who only speak Welsh but they're usually 80+ .
The real issue is the few who demand everything is bilingual, and only speak Welsh to be awkward.

Welsh is the first language for 80% of the population of the area(north west Wales). The Welsh and English language have equal status in Wales both are offical languages of the country.Just because you speak english does not make it a local language. With your negative attitude towards the area why have you moved back here?

Jones

Welsh is the first language for 80% of the population of the area(north west Wales). The Welsh and English language have equal status in Wales both are offical languages of the country.Just because you speak english does not make it a local language. With your negative attitude towards the area why have you moved back here?

I'm a local and speak Welsh.

I moved back here because I decided to.

I am aware of the equality of both languages, I just think having a translator in a meeting is not good use of Tax money.

I still think it's a dump.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'm a local and speak Welsh.

I moved back here because I decided to.

I am aware of the equality of both languages, I just think having a translator in a meeting is not good use of Tax money.

I still think it's a dump.

I live in Caerphilly (S.E.Wales) and virtually NEVER hear any Welsh spoken. I have to go to groups in our area for Coffee Mornings etc., to keep in touch with the language. However, a few years ago I was going on exercise walks from our Leisure Centre and in the group was a woman from Pwllheli so I thought good conversation in Welsh now. She preferred to speak English, although "yn rhugl wrth gwrs" (fluent, of course) !!!

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member

Well, perhaps some do speak Welsh only to be awkward, but in my experience most speak Welsh because it's their first language!

And if they can't speak Welsh in Wales then where can they ... ?

Jones

Well, perhaps some do speak Welsh only to be awkward, but in my experience most speak Welsh because it's their first language!

And if they can't speak Welsh in Wales then where can they ... ?

Patagonia? :D

Speak Welsh because it's their first language? Absolutely, no problem with that. But I know some who deliberately change to Welsh because English people walk in to the place. I've experienced this myself as I have a "posh" English accent. When we visited the area last year and went into a bakery the 2 shop staff went on to insult my wife and myself, in Welsh. Pointing out a persons ignorance to them in a local accent is quite satisfying.....

Anyhow....back to the thread.

Anyone heard anything? :D

sw1ller

Established Member
This thread has gone very quiet, just wondered if anyone had heard anything yet?

Sammy h

Logged in and it says unsuccessful for my Mach application :(

Not received an email or anything yet though. Still got the Cardiff application..

lewis230386

Im still waiting on cardiff application too,sorry for the news.keep trying!how long were u waiting until you had a reply? Im getting so impatient now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.