• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn refresh for GWR Class 165/166 Turbos

jackot

Here is the First Class in 165109 as of this morning. :D (also the light switches in the seat work finally)

45DD1BE0-F869-477A-BA83-537D7BDE1820.jpegBBDB1EA2-B99B-46AE-9856-B22B42992B1E.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Did they always have those tiny tables?
They used to have those in all the seating bays in standard class as well, not just in first class. The 166s were also built with them in standard class, although replaced by the triangular tables in the first year or so.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They used to have those in all the seating bays in standard class as well, not just in first class. The 166s were also built with them in standard class, although replaced by the triangular tables in the first year or so.
The triangular tables are a lot more robust.

jackot

The 166s actually [used to] have full-sized tables in First I think. Are those being kept?
Still did when I went on one of the FGW liveried ones on Tuesday, and yes the refurbished ones are keeping them I believe; I'm yet to travel on one that has been done but this photo from a contractor suggests they do.

class-166-5-435x325.jpeg

387star

On Moderation
166205 is the preview unit.
Indeed it is and it's in an interesting state. I've noted the following so far:

Many tables have the paint peeling revealing the former blue underneath. For this reason they should be replaced

A window surround by the disabled toilet is still in First Group blue as are certain fittings for instance the PIS housing

One triangular table is missing. Worth noting here on another turbo the First Class area at one end has one missing table and has been like that for years.

The original seat covers on 205 were replaced due to serious staining but the ex first class end retained them. A number of seat covers are now blue.

Finally the grab handles are mostly rubine red for some reason.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Still did when I went on one of the FGW liveried ones on Tuesday, and yes the refurbished ones are keeping them I believe; I'm yet to travel on one that has been done but this photo from a contractor suggests they do.

View attachment 122679
That's the prototype 166.

You can see the new refurbishment uses moquette rather than the strange flat cloth as shown in this 165 below. No 166 has had such treatment yet, but yes, all 166s have full length tables in the ex-first class sections.
Here is the First Class in 165109 as of this morning. :D (also the light switches in the seat work finally)

View attachment 122602View attachment 122601

D2007wsm

Established Member
Unless they changed it, when I’ve been on it the original refurbished 166 it had grey leather seats where First Class was with green headrests similar to what was in the HSTs

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Unless they changed it, when I’ve been on it the original refurbished 166 it had grey leather seats where First Class was with green headrests similar to what was in the HSTs
166s had first class at both ends, while 165s had it at one end with 3+2 at the other like in the rest of the train.

In 2015, the first class end was declassified on 165s, making them standard class only trains, and one of the two first class ends was declassified on 166s. This was why the prototype 166205 received green moquette at the end that was declassified (seen above), and cream and emerald leather at the end that remained first class, to create a more consistent first class product alongside the HSTs.

When 166s moved to Bristol in 2018, first class was declassified at both ends. To make up for the loss of the 166s which had retained first class, first class on 3-165s was brought back into use as they took over from 166s on Bedwyns, Gatwick fasts and some Cotswold services. At this point, 2 car 165s remained declassified as they were predominantly used on branch lines.

As the 2 car 165s began to join the 166s in the West a little later, the first class seating was removed from these and 3+2 seating installed in its place. At the same time, large luggage racks were installed at the opposite end.

Now, we have 2 car 165s with entirely 3+2 seating, 3 car 165s with one end of first class which is in use on Gatwick fast services (maybe Basingstoke too but I don't know) and declassified on Redhill stoppers, Henley, the rest of LTV and the west, and 166s with declassified first class at both ends.

The 166s in blue with pink doors still have an enormous "1" and a yellow stripe adorning one end of the train, despite both first class ends having been declassified for about three years at a minimum.

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
166s had first class at both ends, while 165s had it at one end with 3+2 at the other like in the rest of the train.

In 2015, the first class end was declassified on 165s, making them standard class only trains, and one of the two first class ends was declassified on 166s. This was why the prototype 166205 received green moquette at the end that was declassified (seen above), and leather at the end that remained first class to match the HSTs.

When 166s moved to Bristol in 2018, first class was declassified at both ends. To make up for the loss of the 166s which had retained first class, first class on 3-165s was brought back into use as they took over from 166s on Bedwyns, Gatwick fasts and some Cotswold services.

At this point, 2 car 165s remained declassified as they were predominantly used on branch lines, but then as they began to join the 166s in the West, the first class seating was removed from these and 3+2 seating installed. At the same time, large luggage racks were installed at the opposite end.

Now, we have 2 car 165s with entirely 3+2 seating, 3 car 165s with one end of first class which is in use on Gatwick fast services (maybe Basingstoke too but I don't know) and declassified on Redhill stoppers, Henley, the rest of LTV and the west, and 166s with declassified first class at both ends.

The only Thames Valley turbo route with First Class is North Downs, and that’s all services not just Gatwick trains.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The only Thames Valley turbo route with First Class is North Downs, and that’s all services not just Gatwick trains.
The guard on my NDL service the other day informed me that it was declassified on Redhill services, but it may have been misinformation. It definitely was like that a few years ago though, and there was a conscious effort to keep Gatwick fasts as 100% 166 operated around about 2016/2017.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The guard on my NDL service the other day informed me that it was declassified on Redhill services, but it may have been misinformation. It definitely was like that a few years ago though, and there was a conscious effort to keep Gatwick fasts as 100% 166 operated around about 2016/2017.

He was misled, First Class is on all North Downs services as per the timetable on GWR’s website. Although in reality often isn’t enforced.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

TEW

Established Member
He was misled, First Class is on all North Downs services as per the timetable on GWR’s website. Although in reality often isn’t enforced.

When the reduction of First Class started in the Thames Valley, the Redhill stoppers did become Standard Class only. I'm not sure when that changed back, quite recently possibly?

jackot

In 2015, the first class end was declassified on 165s, making them standard class only trains, and one of the two first class ends was declassified on 166s. This was why the prototype 166205 received green moquette at the end that was declassified (seen above), and cream and emerald leather at the end that remained first class, to create a more consistent first class product alongside the HSTs.

When 166s moved to Bristol in 2018, first class was declassified at both ends. To make up for the loss of the 166s which had retained first class, first class on 3-165s was brought back into use as they took over from 166s on Bedwyns, Gatwick fasts and some Cotswold services. At this point, 2 car 165s remained declassified as they were predominantly used on branch lines.

As the 2 car 165s began to join the 166s in the West a little later, the first class seating was removed from these and 3+2 seating installed in its place. At the same time, large luggage racks were installed at the opposite end.

The 166s in blue with pink doors still have an enormous "1" and a yellow stripe adorning one end of the train, despite both first class ends having been declassified for about three years at a minimum.
Ahh, I see, sorry about that. I thought it wasn't the demo as it wasn't leather, as I didn't realise the other first-class end has fabric instead.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
When the reduction of First Class started in the Thames Valley, the Redhill stoppers did become Standard Class only. I'm not sure when that changed back, quite recently possibly?

From memory it was only one timetable that had FC on the Gatwick’s but not the Redhill’s.

fgwrich

Established Member
A shame, as carpet also gave a certain sound deadening property to it as well as a slightly more luxury feel.

But then again, Reading were almost useless as keeping it clean and well maintained, and until the recent replacement scheme, most Turbos ended up like this inside.

Attachments

• C4B27B84-2DA2-482B-A097-DB5BF6F2DD77.jpeg
    C4B27B84-2DA2-482B-A097-DB5BF6F2DD77.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 92
  • 91FB417B-71E3-4526-8DFC-B1EEEA4C1AA0.jpeg
    91FB417B-71E3-4526-8DFC-B1EEEA4C1AA0.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 92

JohnRegular

Ahh, I see, sorry about that. I thought it wasn't the demo as it wasn't leather, as I didn't realise the other first-class end has fabric instead.
This confused me further up the thread, as I had the impression that the preview unit had the fabric seats at both ends and that I had travelled on a different unit with leather seats.
Having now realised that, the leather seats seem to have fared a lot better than the fabric ones, which have become quite badly stained.

Snow1964

Established Member
Just been on a green (repainted) 166 212, thought I would take a picture of interesting quad colour (pink, cream, brown, silver) grab poles by entrance doors.

I guess this is just wear and tear, and makes you wonder why the refresh was delayed so they can get in this condition

Attachments

• 20221027_111518.jpg
    20221027_111518.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 134

fgwrich

Established Member
Just been on a green (repainted) 166 212, thought I would take a picture of interesting quad colour (pink, cream, brown, silver) grab poles by entrance doors.

I guess this is just wear and tear, and makes you wonder why the refresh was delayed so they can get in this condition
Definitely wear and tear as the original handrails were a much smaller upside down L shaped affair, with the shape visible by the blanking circles above the bin. These were only fitted fairly recently (when the new PRM compliant loo was fitted) as the refurb kept the original ones. Sadly I'm not surprised either way, everything about them internally is looking tired and worn out - the tables are a similar shabby affair, often sticky, scratched and with a similar varying paint fade. But it's fine... they've got new Green Carpets! :lol::rolleyes:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Thanks for clearing that up.
The ridiculous saga of first class on the NDL route makes it unsurprising that even the staff don't know what the latest situation is! On top of that the appallingly lax application of adequate first class labelling, interior and exterior, for many years has led to a complete mess.

100%. This unit in particular was the first Turbo I have seen in many, many years to have all its tiny tables still intact! (for now)
"Intact" maybe, but firmly fixed? Refurbished units I have been on lately have had rapidly-loosening tablettes yet again. It seems to be beyond the wit of modern engineers to fix a small table securely enough to withstand being sat on by kids, etc.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
"Intact" maybe, but firmly fixed? Refurbished units I have been on lately have had rapidly-loosening tablettes yet again. It seems to be beyond the wit of modern engineers to fix a small table securely enough to withstand being sat on by kids, etc.
It is my understanding that only one refurbished 165 with the first class bit is in service at the moment?