• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti First class experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I think it’s very obvious that the real intention of standard premium is (eventually) to replace first as a cost-cutting exercise (in true “first” style).

Virgin took pride in their first class, offering often good value fares for what I thought was, by far, the best service on the network. Food, service and comfort were excellent.

Avanti are now (at least up my way) charging similar prices for what used to be first class for standard premium, and first prices are through the roof. I can’t justify paying them on my budget, so I can’t comment, but I’m hugely disappointed and thought virgin did a far superior offering at a much more reasonable price.

class17

Avanti are now (at least up my way) charging similar prices for what used to be first class for standard premium, and first prices are through the roof. I can’t justify paying them on my budget, so I can’t comment, but I’m hugely disappointed and thought virgin did a far superior offering at a much more reasonable price.
Not just your view. As a leisure traveller, I either don't use the train or buy a very cheap standard advance.

Last edited:

Blinkbonny

I'd have them back in a flash talking toilets and all!

I don't even look at first class now whereas before I was a regular customer. Though as I say, perhaps that's what they want.

NoOnesFool

I find the customer service in Avanti First Class to be great. The menus are very good and the food is delcicious but the portions are too small. Trolley runs of drinks and snacks were frequent. If Virgin provided better (as some posters have said), then I am sorry that I missed the chance to sample their First Class.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Virgin took pride in their first class, offering often good value fares for what I thought was, by far, the best service on the network. Food, service and comfort were excellent.
Agreed
Agreed
Indeed, Virgin is superior in every way compared to Avanti.
Agreed
I'd have them back in a flash talking toilets and all!

I don't even look at first class now whereas before I was a regular customer. Though as I say, perhaps that's what they want.
Agreed

I knew First would run down first class and they have.

Howardh

Established Member
I (used to) like using the lounges; now as thay are unaffordable, I wonder if anyone's travelled in Standard (Manchester/London) but bought a FC ticket to Macclesfield and used that simply to gain access to the lounge (or MK on the return leg)? Is that possible?

Butts

Veteran Member
Can't believe I've had to pay just short of £40 each for EUS to SAD on Sunday 10th July for Advanced 1st Class Tickets with a Railcard.

Used to be dead easy to get sub £20 fares not that long ago.

Indeed the cheapest Services that day for the journey in question was £71 for the two of us, and this was the day the advanced tickets were released.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Can't believe I've had to pay just short of £40 each for EUS to SAD on Sunday 10th July for Advanced 1st Class Tickets with a Railcard.

Selling First Class fares for £20 sounds like commercial nonsense, borne of the need to get a scattering of bums on seats across 3 coaches, at times when there was barely any demand at a realistic price.

Not surprising that Avanti/DFT have put a stop to this, to get more revenue via the Standard Premium offer.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

£40 sounds like a much more sensible price (they ought to charge you extra though given the amount of freebies you seem to consume ;)) but can you please use station names and not just codes the first time they are used, as not everyone will know that SAD = Sandwell & Dudley and it saves people looking it up. Thanks :)

Trackman

Established Member
I (used to) like using the lounges; now as thay are unaffordable, I wonder if anyone's travelled in Standard (Manchester/London) but bought a FC ticket to Macclesfield and used that simply to gain access to the lounge (or MK on the return leg)? Is that possible?
Yep, it is possible.
Stockport would be a better bet, only £1.70 more than a standard single (advance).
Next time I’m on a London service I’ll ask one of the catering staff before we set off if they could fill my bag with goodies as I’m leaving at Stockport.. for a laugh of course!
Also don’t forget at the moment it’s only one hour before departure for the lounges and zilch on return.. this is supposedly changing soon ..

Butts

Veteran Member
£40 sounds like a much more sensible price (they ought to charge you extra though given the amount of freebies you seem to consume ;)) but can you please use station names and not just codes the first time they are used, as not everyone will know that SAD = Sandwell & Dudley and it saves people looking it up. Thanks :)

Apologies.

Sounds like the amount of freebies I consume will be severely restricted by this "One Hour Before" entry ruling - it's not as if they have free alcohol.

Avanti said they were moving towards an "Airline Experience" in 1st Class and this restriction does not seem in keeping with that.

Is it down to capacity issues ?

class17

Selling First Class fares for £20 sounds like commercial nonsense, borne of the need to get a scattering of bums on seats across 3 coaches, at times when there was barely any demand at a realistic price.

Not surprising that Avanti/DFT have put a stop to this, to get more revenue via the Standard Premium offer.
Well yes, if those people pay Standard Premium or a higher First class fare. But not if they drop to standard. But I am sure it has been calculated that the overall change in fares will attract a higher income, and presumably less staffing costs.

Leisurefirst

Forthcoming London to Glasgow weekend away adv tickets released today.
Sat Avanti £35.20 std adv. £184.80 1st adv.
I think I'll get my own refreshments in std, thanks.
Sun For some reason no adv fares released except very late afternoon departures on Avanti.
LNER via Edinburgh 1st Class £76.50.
(And they've been on sale for weeks now).
I'll take that, thank you very much.
Your loss, Avanti.

gnolife

Established Member
Yep, it is possible.
Stockport would be a better bet, only £1.70 more than a standard single (advance).
Next time I’m on a London service I’ll ask one of the catering staff before we set off if they could fill my bag with goodies as I’m leaving at Stockport.. for a laugh of course!
Also don’t forget at the moment it’s only one hour before departure for the lounges and zilch on return.. this is supposedly changing soon ..
MAN always used to prohibit the use of Stockport tickets for the lounge

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
For those of you complaining about the one hour limit in lounges, I’m surprised you want more than an hour. These aren’t airport lounges, with shower, spa, buffet and sometimes an a le carte menu. They’re at most a tiny room with a coffee machine, mini fridge, and a couple of biscuits. Plus an overpriced bar at Euston. I certainly couldn’t fill two hours in there.

Butts

Veteran Member
For those of you complaining about the one hour limit in lounges, I’m surprised you want more than an hour. These aren’t airport lounges, with shower, spa, buffet and sometimes an a le carte menu. They’re at most a tiny room with a coffee machine, mini fridge, and a couple of biscuits. Plus an overpriced bar at Euston. I certainly couldn’t fill two hours in there.

Apart from Euston I'd agree with you.

It is much bigger than the average Avanti Lounge and has a wider range of freebies. Much better than milling about the concourse aimlessly for ages.

Your descriptor sounds more like LNER Lounges.

Trackman

Established Member
Spoilsports.
I suppose they can refuse entry without any reason.
I suppose a lot of people don’t spend two hours there, but it’s nice to know it’s there if you arrive for whatever reason before the hour mark.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
However, in line with airline lounges, they are populated by people who enjoy taking as many complimentary goods as possible! :D

py_megapixel

Established Member
I think the idea of First Class fares between Manchester and Stockport is a bit silly anyway. It's such a short journey on a Pendolino (less than 10 mins I believe) that you'll barely be able to sit down in the special comfy seat you've paid extra for before you have to get up again!

I wonder if that policy about the lounge might actually have inadvertently lost them some revenue, as I doubt that many of the people who would be minded to buy the shortest possible ticket to get into the lounge are going to upgrade to 1st for their whole journey.

Trackman

Established Member
Apart from Euston I'd agree with you.

It is much bigger than the average Avanti Lounge and has a wider range of freebies. Much better than milling about the concourse aimlessly for ages.
It does, I think it’s the only Avanti lounge that has a (pay) bar.

Howardh

Established Member
If I have a standard ticket, I wouldn't mind paying "on the door" to use the lounge at Euston - if they are losing first class passengers and the income from them, maybe they should do just that? Or at leats allow standard premium pax to pay a fiver to use the lounge? Better than being empty?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I notice Avanti have got a "Summer First Class menu" on their website now, which I like the look of, but..

Even with the usual very good (imo) hot breakfast menu, I certainly wouldn't call it good value for money, considering the large premiums being charged for First Class tickets compared with Standard Premium. At the very least I think they should offer a high quality hot meal service in the evening (or even all day).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I notice Avanti have got a "Summer First Class menu" on their website now, which I like the look of, but..

Even with the usual very good (imo) hot breakfast menu, I certainly wouldn't call it good value for money, considering the large premiums being charged for First Class tickets compared with Standard Premium. At the very least I think they should offer a high quality hot meal service in the evening (or even all day).

The price differential*, to me, would necessitate an experience like Italo's Club Executive Class, not Standard Premium plus free drinks and about £1 worth of food. It really is exceptionally poor value.

* Ignoring Seatfrog which is a minority pursuit.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The price differential*, to me, would necessitate an experience like Italo's Club Executive Class, not Standard Premium plus free drinks and about £1 worth of food. It really is exceptionally poor value.

* Ignoring Seatfrog which is a minority pursuit.
Yep!
I haven't travelled at all on long distance trains since Covid, but I wonder how busy First Class is now compared with when Virgin still ran the franchise.

One thing I've noticed (I work in a ticket office) is that Avanti First Class fares are often very consistent on some journeys regardless of how busy the train is expected to be.

E.g. I was recently looking at fares between Preston and Birmingham comparing the cost on different days of the week. Standard fluctuated between three or four different fares whereas First was the same every day.

Also when looking at trains I'd be very surprised if they were busy in First- 20:06 Glasgow to Crewe in advance often has very cheap Standard advance fares but First substantially more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.