• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

poveelas

Same here. what worries me is at the end of the test it just seemed to finish. i was expecting a big fancy Well Done finish screen. In the stress of it I can’t remember what the last screen actually said!!!
i waited a bit then went i log in again and it told me “ you have no assessments to complete”
Have i missed something??
You haven't missed anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20230313_130748__01.jpg
    IMG_20230313_130748__01.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 190

DanielWhitt

does the VSE change each time you take the tests ? i applied for avanti a year ago and it sounds different to what people have said above ?

wolvesayewe

Yes the vse is following the dot around the track and the symbols. There are 25 questions for the sjt. Good luck

How did you find it? Was it similar to the practice questions on the pdf on the email?
The vse was fine, the m7sjt is frustrating as in some of the questions there doesn't seem to be much to choose between the answers, it gets you thinking!!! I'd just say don't over think it and answer what you honestly think

does the VSE change each time you take the tests ? i applied for avanti a year ago and it sounds different to what people have said above ?
I applied about a year ago too. The VSE is exactly the same

Last edited:

ScouseScoff

Am I right to assume I've likely not made it to the next stage (VSE test etc) as I've heard nothing since the 14th
You're not the only one who hasn't heard back; perhaps we failed the initial sift, perhaps it's being filtered by first to finish the tests, or perhaps it's depot-related.
We won't know until we start getting rejection emails, so hold on and keep hoping.

Akeem20

Bit of a grey area. You would certainly incur a life lost for these tests specifically, and your Avanti journey would come to an end, but your pool position would not be at risk for failing an uncontrolled preliminary test, having passed previously with your pool TOC.
Reason being, these are like an additional sift before doing the main tests hence why they are uncontrolled.
Remember, the main tests also consist of a VSE and SJT in a 'controlled' environment which you have passed already. These passes are what matter most.
If your pool TOC saw you resit and failed the M7 and VSE, it doesn't mean anything to them as they already used them as a "marker" to invite you to take the main assessments with them which you have passed.
Failing the M7 and VSE tests would translate to nothing more than "he/she/they/it etc are not good enough to sit the main assessments", but... clearly you were as your results are now on file to show this WITH THE POOL TOC.
However... if you resit one of the controlled tests (I.e Group Bourdon) and fail, then it is likely your pool position will be at risk.

There was no revision material given. However when you get sent the link, theres a practice link before you start each test which you can practice as many times as you wish.
Theres nothing really out there that I've come across to help/revise.

Maybe another member might be able to post on this matter?
Yeah thanks think this is a good idea
Done my VSE & M7SJT, now just to wait... Again!!!... Good luck to everyone else
hey hopefully you pass are you able to link the practice material?

I suspect more invites will come through today
Yeah my deadline was the 14th just waiting for the next email hopefully it’s a pass

Hanz_05

I applied for Euston but have yet to hear back, whereas others have from the depot. What will be will be.

tpfx89

Nothing for Manchester here either, but I think the multiple comments upthread are the right way to go, no news isn't bad news! Waiting is always the hardest part though!

I just seen on the news Avanti have been given a 6 month extension to their contract despite constant failures.

On another note, has anyone heard from Edinburgh or Glasgow?

benny91

I just seen on the news Avanti have been given a 6 month extension to their contract despite constant failures.

On another note, has anyone heard from Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Hey mate! Nothing for Edinburgh. Also still waiting for XC Edinburgh too and I applied Dec 22. Looks like Edi are behind the other cities hehe. But patience is a virtue so all good.

Sparrowman

Still waiting to hear for Wolverhampton. I know some have already heard back from this depot which does worry me slightly but fingers crossed they're still working through them.

Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
If they lost the contract how would this affect jobs and recruitment?
It wouldn’t particularly, front line staff/recruiters would simply be TUPEd over. Any policy changes on recruitment would probably not be taken by new managers on day 1, there’s simply bigger fish to fry

y4d344

Does any know if the boxes practice questions on the pdf come up in the assessment for VSE? I just don't get the task.