• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Class2ldn

I doubt its first come first served. Nobody really knows how they do the recruitment or if the date you apply makes any difference whatsoever. If you're application is better then others then it makes no difference

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I’m very surprised to still see every advert up when they shut tomorrow!
Some of the posts were automatically taken down within 9 hours (Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh). I’m assuming they had reached a limit on the amount of applicants. However, the next morning they were all advertised again. I imagine it must be something to do with giving people a fair chance by keeping them open till the advertised closing date.

irish_rail

Established Member
Some of the posts were automatically taken down within 9 hours (Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh). I’m assuming they had reached a limit on the amount of applicants. However, the next morning they were all advertised again. I imagine it must be something to do with giving people a fair chance by keeping them open till the advertised closing date.
Or not enough "desirable" applications received (im thinking box ticks here).

Chippychips

I think its purely just innocence.
They already pre published when the advert will go live, and when the advert will close.

I notice this drive is a little different to past adverts.
Main two differences being that its being clearly advertised as an Apprenticeship, and also the addition of the DFFT which wasn't there before (I never sat paper tests with Avanti so maybe someone can confirm or deny my belief)

Sorcerer

Maybe the adverts were closed early on both occasions to prevent the server and sites being overwhelmed and crashing. These sort of vacancies will attract thousands, so that will definitely overload the system as we have already seen and thus a temporary removal was merely a way of damage control for need of a better term. That is just conjecture on my part but it seems a reasonable guess in my opinion.

EchoMike

I think its purely just innocence.
They already pre published when the advert will go live, and when the advert will close.

I notice this drive is a little different to past adverts.
Main two differences being that its being clearly advertised as an Apprenticeship, and also the addition of the DFFT which wasn't there before (I never sat paper tests with Avanti so maybe someone can confirm or deny my belief)
I’ve noticed a number of these at different TOCs have been classified as Apprenticeships. Has something changed? Bit out of the loop.

Samzino

Established Member
I’ve noticed a number of these at different TOCs have been classified as Apprenticeships. Has something changed? Bit out of the loop.
Think they get some sort of Government grant doing an Apprenticeship, they provide the training to be a driver but supplement it with a basic IT course. Helps offset some of the training costs.

Jayleeruss

Hey guys! Can someone remind me (if they remember). The CV part with avanti, was we meant to take our names (and any other identifiable info) off of the cv and file name, or was it a normal upload?
Thanks!

SuperS16v

Hey guys! Can someone remind me (if they remember). The CV part with avanti, was we meant to take our names (and any other identifiable info) off of the cv and file name, or was it a normal upload?
Thanks!

It just said CV upload, it did not mention about removing names or details.

ctobi

Ive applied at London Euston. Good luck all!

Does anyone know the roster pattern for Avanti drivers?

I know GTR is 7 on 2 off 7 on 5 off...
Southeastern (my current employer) is pretty mixed roster lots of 4 on 2/3 off. 6 on 5 off every 2-3 weeks.

Would be nice to know the Avanti roster. I wonder if it could be more intense with less rest days hence the higher salary?

SuperS16v

Ive applied at London Euston. Good luck all!

Does anyone know the roster pattern for Avanti drivers?

I know GTR is 7 on 2 off 7 on 5 off...
Southeastern (my current employer) is pretty mixed roster lots of 4 on 2/3 off. 6 on 5 off every 2-3 weeks.

Would be nice to know the Avanti roster. I wonder if it could be more intense with less rest days hence the higher salary?

Good luck! Regarding shifts I posted an old example in this thread. Post #112.

TK.

Maybe the adverts were closed early on both occasions to prevent the server and sites being overwhelmed and crashing. These sort of vacancies will attract thousands, so that will definitely overload the system as we have already seen and thus a temporary removal was merely a way of damage control for need of a better term. That is just conjecture on my part but it seems a reasonable guess in my opinion.
The system was extremely overloaded. It crashed every single time I clicked next or any other button/drop down box. Straight back to the beginning or thrown out completely!!
There was also text completely missing from the top of the 'previous employment page', when I've since reviewed my app, turns out I didn't need to complete that page !! Hope that's not a mark against me..
I uploaded my CV too .. fingers crossed

Arrers70

Can anyone advise me on something please? I have received an email from Avanti for an online assessment and it says the best way to answer the questions is 'be yourself.' This is the assessment run by UNA and is about measuring my 'unique qualities.' I suspect though there is a knack though to completing these- or am I overthinking it??

TK.

Can anyone advise me on something please? I have received an email from Avanti for an online assessment and it says the best way to answer the questions is 'be yourself.' This is the assessment run by UNA and is about measuring my 'unique qualities.' I suspect though there is a knack though to completing these- or am I overthinking it??
I don't have the answer I'm afraid. But just wondering, did you only apply this wk? If so.. that was quick, well done

kajojek3232

Is that for this job?

pmc88

Hey, How did you get on with the online assessment? was it situation judgement questions?

Sparrowman

Maybe they're working through applications for one depot at a time? I applied for Wolverhampton and haven't heard anything yet.

DM1994

The applications only closed a day or two ago after they readvertised. They've put a lot into this recruitment too so I imagine they have thousands of applications to go through. Wouldn't expect anything too quickly.

Jayleeruss

I spoke to hr through email recently (over something unrelated) and they said you should expect to wait approx two weeks before hearing back between stages. So guess we’ve got two weeks to kick back and hope for the best

SuperS16v

Most likely in for a long wait, there’s another thread active from the recruitment drive at the end of last year and they will most likely fill the training courses this year and most of next. Although, with this industry you never really know what’s going to happen! Some fly through and others don’t.

TK.

That’s a negative
Also negative

Has anyone any insight into situational judgement tests? I've obviously searched different variations of the wording and not much comes up re the style of questions, I thought it was a paragraph of text to read followed by 4 possible answers, most likely and least likely answer. However I've just found train driver SJT's online and a portion of the questions are around percentages, probability, averages etc...
Can anyone advise what the actual AVANTI SJT's are like, I'm not looking for answers.. but need to know if I need to re visit my Maths prior to this test if I pass papersift. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.. thanks

Last edited:

colleymore

Just a small word of advice, I went through the same process with transport for Wales and some of their emails went into my spam. I would not have got to the interview stage if I hadn't checked my spam folder. That said I have heard nothing yet from Avanti.

st1995

Also negative

Has anyone any insight into situational judgement tests? I've obviously searched different variations of the wording and not much comes up re the style of questions, I thought it was a paragraph of text to read followed by 4 possible answers, most likely and least likely answer. However I've just found train driver SJT's online and a portion of the questions are around percentages, probability, averages etc...
Can anyone advise what the actual AVANTI SJT's are like, I'm not looking for answers.. but need to know if I need to re visit my Maths prior to this test if I pass papersift. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.. thanks
Maths has no relevance to the SJT.
The SJT is a scenerio followed by 4 responses, A, B, C and D.
You then number each response in which you would prioritise. So if your top priority was response A, you would put "1", if your second priority was C you would put "2", and so on until you have ordered all answers.
Its something you can't really practice, its your personal choice. Its Avanti's way of seeing if you have the right personality for the role.

TK.

Maths has no relevance to the SJT.
The SJT is a scenerio followed by 4 responses, A, B, C and D.
You then number each response in which you would prioritise. So if your top priority was response A, you would put "1", if your second priority was C you would put "2", and so on until you have ordered all answers.
Its something you can't really practice, its your personal choice. Its Avanti's way of seeing if you have the right personality for the role.
Oh that's amazing thank you!!
I downloaded some tests that where apparently specific to train driver role and it was ratios, percentages etc..?!?!

If its purely scenario/situation based I'll focus on those instead.
Thanks so much for the reply, really appreciate it.

st1995

Oh that's amazing thank you!!
I downloaded some tests that where apparently specific to train driver role and it was ratios, percentages etc..?!?!

If its purely scenario/situation based I'll focus on those instead.
Thanks so much for the reply, really appreciate it.
Your welcome, as far as my memory serves me, the only time maths might be relevant is the Cables and Dials test that you sit later on in the process, but i wouldnt worry about if your maths isnt up to scratch. Its quite basic, you just need to be able to cope with your anxieties, have complete concentration and make almost zero mistakes