• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Depends what link you’re on. Top link at Euston seem to have the best routes and shifts. Don’t let that put you off because if you end up working 7 to 9 days in a row, you’ll get a long week off every 5th week (I think). If I remember at some point, I’ll snap you a pic.
That’s great. Thanks mate appreciated. Bit of a random question. If you are travelling on a route but break down the other end. What contingency plans do Avanti put in place to get you back home - worst case scenario?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FManc

I'd like to see an actual rota, seen some on the internet but they maybe fake.

In all honesty I think you’d struggle to find an up-to-date roster posted online.

Week of RDs every fifth week. The four weeks of work in between are intense. You’ll alternate weekly between mornings and afternoons/lates with pretty much one day off a week if you choose to work your booked Sundays. Pretty much work 50% of Saturdays in a year.

If you’ve got a week of spare your RD isn’t fixed and there’s unlimited movement i.e. if you’re early spare you can still pick up an afternoon line.

nalla

Unfortunately, I've had the same email as a few others for Liverpool. I have the same thinking as a lot of others it seems: it's a crazy application process to begin in February 2023 and then just end so abruptly, especially when you've actually been successful in the assessments. It's almost as though they've picked applicants for the depots they say are now at capacity at random, as I've been waiting since October 2023 for an update, as have others from previous messages, so wonder where the new people now in the Liverpool Talent Bank have come from? Either way, absolutely gutted but will keep an eye out for other TOCs so I'm ready. Hopefully, the application process is better managed. Good luck, all!

Sharing The OPC email below for reference:

"Thank you for your continued patience regarding your Trainee Driver application. The 2023 Trainee Driver recruitment campaign received an unprecedented number of applications and over the last 14 months we have been prioritising and processing applications for specific depots where there is a higher demand under our workforce plan.

"Through this, we have been able to top up our talent banks to the required number of candidates. This means we are now concluding the recruitment process for the campaign and your application will not be taken any further.

"We understand that this will be disappointing, however we would welcome an application from you in the future when we re-open our Trainee Driver recruitment process.

"We appreciate the time and effort you put into your application, and we thank you for considering us as a potential employer."

Final tests before the DMI, but successful up until the rejection. Hadn't had any updates since October 2023, and was waiting for the next round of tests since April 2023. A long time to wait on hold only to be told you're application's been withdrawn.
hmm i am one step further than you, im awaiting a dmi, wonder if thats still going ahead.

JGB3

Manchester applicant here - just got the "concluding the recruitment process" email. To say I'm gutted is an understatement.
It would be one thing to fail on a particular step but to be put on hold for 16 months and then not even get to try especially as I have been driving Pendos (and other rolling stock) as a depot driver for the last 17 years.
At least I don't need to check back on this page every day although it may now be time to look at other TOC's in the area as I had wanted to complete this process before applying anywhere else.

tpfx89

Manchester applicant here - just got the "concluding the recruitment process" email. To say I'm gutted is an understatement.
It would be one thing to fail on a particular step but to be put on hold for 16 months and then not even get to try especially as I have been driving Pendos (and other rolling stock) as a depot driver for the last 17 years.
At least I don't need to check back on this page every day although it may now be time to look at other TOC's in the area as I had wanted to complete this process before applying anywhere else.
Same here. Feels a little galling to be held hanging for over a year saying that they're focusing on other depots to then get the "yeah we're all good now cheers though" email...

Kooch

Farcical really, the longer it went on, the more I felt like this firm was not for me - that said, i'm still naffed off! Ex-Mcr applicant

Ses16

That’s great. Thanks mate appreciated. Bit of a random question. If you are travelling on a route but break down the other end. What contingency plans do Avanti put in place to get you back home - worst case scenario?
You get put up in a hotel overnight. Unlikely to happen tbh, there should be another train to get you back. Lack of rolling stock is not something Avanti suffer with.

Last edited:

ndjefc82

Long time lurker....first time poster (Liverpool applicant):

I applied in Feb 23, I passed my final OPC tests in December and have now receieved an email to say DMI dates are likely to be in August.

First email I've had since Feb

Jquarterz

Long time lurker....first time poster (Liverpool applicant):

I applied in Feb 23, I passed my final OPC tests in December and have now receieved an email to say DMI dates are likely to be in August.

First email I've had since Feb
Good stuff! Means things are slowly moving overall. Are you waiting for another email for an actual specific DMI date?

ndjefc82

Good stuff! Means things are slowly moving overall. Are you waiting for another email for an actual specific DMI date?
Yes that's correct.

Exact wording is as follows:

'Thank you for your patience at this time, please continue to bear with us. Dates are yet to be confirmed for Driver Manager Interviews. Once we have these confirmed, you will be sent an invite - please note, the dates are likely to be after August, however this will be dependant on depot'

Limerickboyo

Yes that's correct.

'Thank you for your patience at this time, please continue to bear with us. Dates are yet to be confirmed for Driver Manager Interviews. Once we have these confirmed, you will be sent an invite - please note, the dates are likely to be after August, however this will be dependant on depot'

Got the same email. Wolverhampton applicant

June_111

Yes that's correct.

'Thank you for your patience at this time, please continue to bear with us. Dates are yet to be confirmed for Driver Manager Interviews. Once we have these confirmed, you will be sent an invite - please note, the dates are likely to be after August, however this will be dependant on depot

I had the same email - Euston applicant

Jquarterz

Yes that's correct.

Well hopefully it's close to the August mark

Well hopefully it's close to the August mark
I’m a Wolverhampton applicant - passed my DMI waiting in a talent pool for a course. If they’re proceeding with DMI’s for Wolverhampton - hopefully this means they need more Wolverhampton drivers and courses should be on the horizon sooner rather than later….. I hope!!

Jquarterz

I’m a Wolverhampton applicant - passed my DMI waiting in a talent pool for a course. If they’re proceeding with DMI’s for Wolverhampton - hopefully this means they need more Wolverhampton drivers and courses should be on the horizon sooner rather than later….. I hope!!
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you but a euston candidate, that's the same thing I was thinking

I had the same email - Euston applicant
I didn't know they still where recruiting for Euston? Did you apply in Feb 23 too?

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you but a euston candidate, that's the same thing I was thinking

I didn't know they still where recruiting for Euston? Did you apply in Feb 23 too?
Yeah I remember you passed around the same time as me and you mentioned anything this year would be a bonus. Fingers crossed we get some good news back end of summer/Autumn.

MissBambs89

Yes that's correct.

Long term lurker
Applied for Manchester and Liverpool. I have had this email too! Getting nervous now! I’ve seen a few people have just been dropped suddenly??

nalla

Yes that's correct.

i got the same message too Manchester / Liverpool applicant