• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Spincity

Same.
I think they’ve marked the original 5 tests.
Top marks are now doing their psychometrics / CBIs.
Lowest marks have had rejection emails.
Mid range or not far from top marks have had wait 6 weeks.

If people then fail their psychometrics then maybe put people through from the original 5 tests to the VSE and M7 tests.
And that is exactly how the various tests are not scored. All are scored as either a pass or fail. The same as the psychometric tests are pass/fail. There is not a grading.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RustyRuss

Hi,

I'm not sure if you're using the same test software I used when practicing for mine but I didn't rely on the score the program gave me.

For example, let's say image 1 on the program, there was traffic lights and motorbikes. If you missed either of them or said there was anything extra like pedestrians, the program would score you 0 for that image even though you might have identified one of the things correctly (does that make sense?).

Instead, what I did to work out my "true" score was added up everything that was shown across all 10 images and added up everything I correctly identified across all 10 images. E.g I spotted 27 of the 5 things to look for across the 10 images but there was 30 things in total across the 10 images. So my score would be 27/30 = 90%. Let's say the 5 things I missed were spread across separate images, the program would have marked me down as 0% for 5 images, giving me a score of 50% (which was disheartening when I was practicing). Hope this makes sense?

It goes without saying though and it's my one piece of advice with the ATAVT test: Unless you definitely saw the object in the picture, don't tick it. Helped me think I was being negatively marked down for saying something was in the picture when it wasn't there.
That's a very helpful insight into the test.
I had a quick go at it straight after download and didn't notice the timings were set at 0.6 of a second that was an eye opener! I've gotten my score to 70% at 1 second so far, it'll be a tough test for me but I'll approach it with optimism, I think its important not to let the thought of it beat you.

catmandoza

I see people mentioning practice software? What is this and where do I find it? A bit of extra preparation wouldn't go a miss, got over a month will my stage 2

Shinigami

Same.
I think they’ve marked the original 5 tests.
Top marks are now doing their psychometrics / CBIs.
Lowest marks have had rejection emails.
Mid range or not far from top marks have had wait 6 weeks.

If people then fail their psychometrics then maybe put people through from the original 5 tests to the VSE and M7 tests.
This is not true. It’s pass/fail. Timing is luck of the draw it seems. No point trying to work it

RustyRuss

I see people mentioning practice software? What is this and where do I find it? A bit of extra preparation wouldn't go a miss, got over a month will my stage

Hi mate if you pm me I'll let you know which I've been using, I think it certainly helped me with the vse.

Last edited:

SLR

Anyone know yet if the photos flash for one second or half a second? Would be good to know as I’m pretty rubbish at 0.5 and much better at 1 second

Neil2584

Manchester applicant, successful on the initial tests, next stage will be sent in due course (VSE & M7).
I don’t believe Manchester is a priority so we just have to be patient.

Gc85

I know this is somewhere is this thread but not going right through it to find it. what did people use to practise the vse and m7?

jonchall1971

First post, new member.

I also applied in Feb/March and now got as far as the pass to Assessment day etc

Applied for Liverpool. Wish I'd done this when I was a bit younger but hopeful and happy to have got this far

jdm365sito

Morning all - Same stage as few in here Liverpool applicant awaiting dates for next stage.

• The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test Part 1 and 2
  • The Group Bourdon Concentration Test
  • The Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ)
I was going to pay for the practice material of the OPC website as I have, 4+ weeks potentially to wait and practice. Anyone have any other practice material that they used they wouldn't mind sharing?

Also, is there a dress code to attend?

Cheers

Last edited:

catmandoza

Morning all - Same stage as few in here Liverpool applicant awaiting dates for next stage.

• The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test Part 1 and 2
  • The Group Bourdon Concentration Test
  • The Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ)
I was going to pay for the practice material of the OPC website as I have, 4+ weeks potentially to wait and practice. Anyone have any other practice material that they used they wouldn't mind sharing?

Also, is there a dress code to attend?

Cheers
I found the practice material included with the email was ok for the stage one tests.

As for dress code, as the email said, well groomed. I had to shave off my 3 year old pink Mohawk, but hopefully it will be worth it. I opted for shirt, tie, suit trousers

DaisyN

Out of curiosity, has anyone not managed to complete all questions on a m7sjt in the allocated time?
I thought I was a quick reader but I don’t think I am anymore…

jdm365sito

I found the practice material included with the email was ok for the stage one tests.

As for dress code, as the email said, well groomed. I had to shave off my 3 year old pink Mohawk, but hopefully it will be worth it. I opted for shirt, tie, suit trousers

Thank you, I've been through them just wondering if anything else could help. Still waiting for a date so got plenty of time to practise, hopefully not too much to over think it!
Ahhhh I would of loved getting the train by a pink Mohawk driver! I guess I'll shave my blue dreadlocks off and opt for a shirt and trousers too, thanks again!

FH.

Hello! Does anyone know if you will be contacted for the Manager Interview by email or phone call?

Furthermore, how long does it typically take for them to contact you?

Kind regards

Javhaid

Hello! Does anyone know if you will be contacted for the Manager Interview by email or phone call?

Furthermore, how long does it typically take for them to contact you?

Kind regards

Hi, I’m guessing it could be any? Some people have had emails and some have had phone calls. Someone mentioned that it landed in their spam folder so keep an eye on that too.

Not sure about timings is there nothing mentioned about this in the email from OPC after you passed your computer tests and CBI?

soph91

Has anyone tried to reschedule the date for the first assessment in Crewe? Is it possible to do?

Also. I assume when we get through this entire process we'll be put into a talent bank and then get onto a course maybe 6 months after that? So we can expect to not be in a train job for another maybe 9 months?

Aviator88

Has anyone tried to reschedule the date for the first assessment in Crewe? Is it possible to do?

Also. I assume when we get through this entire process we'll be put into a talent bank and then get onto a course maybe 6 months after that? So we can expect to not be in a train job for another maybe 9 months?

In the other thread, there were definitely people who successfully moved their Stage 1 assessment dates around due to conflicting obligations etc.

Also, I'd say that's a fairly safe bet - people who sat their DMIs in the last two months have been told that the next courses won't be until 2024 now.

Hope that helps!

soph91

In the other thread, there were definitely people who successfully moved their Stage 1 assessment dates around due to conflicting obligations etc.

Also, I'd say that's a fairly safe bet - people who sat their DMIs in the last two months have been told that the next courses won't be until 2024 now.

Hope that helps!
Really helpful! Thank you!

catmandoza

Hope that helps!
That's interesting to know, because, sod's law, as a self employed decorator, I've just booked in £10k worth of work for the summer holiday, and I hate letting people down If I end up on a train drivers course in the summer!

Shinigami

That's interesting to know, because, sod's law, as a self employed decorator, I've just booked in £10k worth of work for the summer holiday, and I hate letting people down If I end up on a train drivers course in the summer!
No chance of that. Chances are, people in this recruitment might not be on a course until the backend of 2024 if not 2025 realistically speaking. Courses are booked up throughout the entirety of this year already and there are plenty of people who are still waiting from the precious recruitment, some of which haven’t even had their DMI yet. That recruitment was started in September/October 2022 and the people from that one won’t be starting until some point in 2024. A year and a half+ is what you should be expecting if it runs the same