• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I think much of what people call “Stagecoach signage” is Siemens standard safety signage of the time and is identical to that on 350s.
The 350/1s have/had it purely due to them being trains originally ordered as 450/2 units for South West Trains.

palmersears

Established Member
I was chatting to a chap whilst photographing at Sawley yesterday who worked in the comms team at Avanti. Said the runs on Thursday were for shakedown purposes not intended to catch the public eye (the set is still waiting on a few finishing touches), but that was undermined slightly by the set being left unlocked upon arrival and NR customer support staff putting punters for Piccadilly on it!

He said that all being well it'll be in traffic mid April. The next one isn't far behind either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think much of what people call “Stagecoach signage” is Siemens standard safety signage of the time and is identical to that on 350s.

It is Stagecoach signage. The /1s have it because they were originally ordered as 450s for SWR and so it was just re-used. The 350/2s and later don't have it (or have rather less of it, it might still have been used in odd places because it was easier than redoing it, and it doesn't have the word Stagecoach on it). Along similar lines pretty much all trains in Germany have DB style blue signage even if they have nothing to do with DB.

Something that doesn't look so cheap, perhaps?

I certainly think the choice of colour schemes is very poor indeed and doesn't look at all premium, more a bit Ryanair esque. I'm surprised not to see the flecked grey seat coverings used on the Voyagers, which do look premium (a bit like Chiltern grey). The seats look OK in and of themselves, though I've not sat in one yet.

It's a pity FS being a partner didn't result in a bit of "Italian flair".

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I certainly think the choice of colour schemes is very poor indeed and doesn't look at all premium, more a bit Ryanair esque. I'm surprised not to see the flecked grey seat coverings used on the Voyagers, which do look premium (a bit like Chiltern grey). The seats look OK in and of themselves, though I've not sat in one yet.
Quite so, and the Voyagers now look very smart indeed. I find Chiltern Grey somewhat dull and depressing, certainly on the MK3s, the Clubmen less so (different material and appearance)
It's a pity FS being a partner didn't result in a bit of "Italian flair".
I’ve lost count of how many times you’ve mentioned “Italian flair”. ;)

greatvoyager

Established Member
Looks like Avanti are looking to give their new 805/807s a name.

The ‘Trackathon’ saw guests asked to join in and propose suitable names for the new Hitachi Sets which will be coming into operation during 2023.

The trains which are currently being built at Hitachi’s factory in County Durham inspired the creative flow of those onboard a Pendolino which was heading to Manchester from Euston.

The train saw a carriage of dedicated guests keen to fashion the next generation of rolling stock set to work the West Coast Main Line.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Looks like Avanti are looking to give their new 805/807s a name.

Seems strange when I understood they had already chosen a name. At least I'm sure I read they had - "Posnente" or something daft.

Unless that was nonsense?

Think that was over on wnxx from memory, some weeks ago.

Trackman

Established Member
Seems strange when I understood they had already chosen a name. At least I'm sure I read they had - "Posnente" or something daft.
It will be something daft that no-one can relate too.
---
On another note I read a while back that cast nameplates and new names for the Pendolino fleet, but nothing seems to have materialised yet.

aleandrail

Is 221143 still due to re-enter service in late March as previously mentioned?

Thanks.
Heard today, that 221142 and 221143 are no longer required and are being "Parked up". Nothing else to add to that at the moment

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Presumably the reduced North Wales service isn't going to be increased back to the previous level until the new bi-modes arrive, or fewer 10 car workings are necessary due to lower demand?
What will happen to the Avanti 221s when the new trains enter service next year?

realemil

Heard today, that 221142 and 221143 are no longer required and are being "Parked up". Nothing else to add to that at the moment

142 in service today? Are they being parked up after running services today or is the data provided by RTT incorrect?

It’s strange that they’d put 2 trains out of service for no reason considering they need stock.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
It’s very unlikely, as they won’t be able to work in multiple with any other unit than the XC 220’s/221’s (even the EMR 222’s aren’t compatible)
So most likely the Avanti 221s would go over to XC and the EMR 222s being transferred over to Chiltern Railways?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
So most likely the Avanti 221s would go over to XC and the EMR 222s being transferred over to Chiltern Railways?
There is no basis at all for the second of those statements regarding Chiltern - indeed the point has been made repeatedly that they are not at all suitable for Chiltern - but as posted above there is no point speculating as no decisions are made and storage remains an option.

It is no more likely than when you posted this three months ago.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/future-uses-for-class-220s-221s-and-222s.225875/#post-5440892

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can the Voyager speculation be kept to the speculation thread please

voyagerdude220

Established Member
390125 seems to have been on test again today. Does anyone know when it will be released into public service?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
390125 seems to have been on test again today. Does anyone know when it will be released into public service?
Current word seems to be that it’ll do a press run at the end of April, looking to head into service towards then/the start of May.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Current word seems to be that it’ll do a press run at the end of April, looking to head into service towards then/the start of May.
Thank you. It's taken quite a while to refurbish the train and get it back into service. I'm assuming other Pendolinos won't take as long to be refurbished.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Thank you. It's taken quite a while to refurbish the train and get it back into service. I'm assuming other Pendolinos won't take as long to be refurbished.
The first 390 took a few months but hopefully (now they know what they are doing and how it works) the rest of the fleet shouldn't take that long.

Some guy

It’s supposed to be on test from
Next Tuesday running a Blackpool to Carlisle service and back strangely. It’s showing as a passenger service but it’s just for engineers. The engineers are going to test the tilt on it on the north of the Mainline

RailWonderer

Established Member
Only just seen the refurbishment now, and it's a shame that they got rid of the ambient lamps in first class. Standard has moved to an ironing board and it looks like, but correct me if I'm wrong, that they have reduced legroom and stuffed more seats in.
Either way I'll try to get in as many trips on original 390s as I can before refurbs starts to come into service. Also can we have unit numbers so some of us can avoid units with refurbs?