• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ayrshire coastline rolling stock discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
I'm not aware of any plans to change the stock on the Ayrshire Coast line. The 380s work fine as they are.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I'm not aware of any plans to change the stock on the Ayrshire Coast line. The 380s work fine as they are.
Indeed, ScotRail will likely lose some classes of stock in the medium term (5-10 years), but the 380’s almost certainly won’t be among them.

They work very well on the Ayrshire coast and will likely do so for at least the next decade.

Beyond that, probably EMU’s for most services, with BMU’s for Stranraer trains, but that’s just speculative.

Sprinter156

I'm guessing Glasgow/Kilmarnock - Girvan/Stranraer will have 158's for a while once the 156's go. Electric services will probably stay 380's only for many years to come.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm guessing Glasgow/Kilmarnock - Girvan/Stranraer will have 158's for a while once the 156's go. Electric services will probably stay 380's only for many years to come.
It's quite possible the Girvan/Stranraer services go straight from 156s to the replacement stock.

Potentially Girvan could even be electrified in the future, I think it could sustain an hourly extension of a Glasgow-Ayr; Stranraer would then quite possibly go to just a few shuttles to/from Girvan - ideally connecting into a train from Girvan to Glasgow.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m guessing the eventual plan is entire GSW electrification (bar Ayr - Stranraer?)

I understand the platforms don’t suit 158’s at the moment due to the clearance needed for the doors? May be totally wrong on that though!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I’m guessing the eventual plan is entire GSW electrification (bar Ayr - Stranraer?)

I understand the platforms don’t suit 158’s at the moment due to the clearance needed for the doors? May be totally wrong on that though!
Given that originally (late-80s) 158s were planned to run the Glasgow-Paisley/Kilmarnock-Ayr-Stranraer/Dumfries-Carlisle services I assume something could/would've been sorted.

snowball

Established Member

Under the decarbonisation plan as published in August 2020, Ayr-Girvan would be wired, but that may change.

Sprinter156

Potentially Girvan could even be electrified in the future, I think it could sustain an hourly extension of a Glasgow-Ayr; Stranraer would then quite possibly go to just a few shuttles to/from Girvan - ideally connecting into a train from Girvan to Glasgow.
It's quite possible the Girvan/Stranraer services go straight from 156s to the replacement stock.

I found a publication posted back in May 2022 suggesting that
 Electrification Complete:
Perth to Inverness; Ayr to Girvan & Kilmarnock to Carlisle via Dumfries
(page 125)

In the 2020 decarbonisation plan, Ayr-Girvan was to be electrified by 2045 so hopefully this means they're bringing it forward a bit.

And also
 Electrification Complete:
Fife Circle / Dundee / Perth; and Barrhead to Kilmarnock
 Service Introductions and Rolling Stock Notes:
Edinburgh / Glasgow to Perth / Dundee and Fife Circle (Battery Electric for
scenarios 4 and 5)
Class 158 units transferred to South West Scotland; all Class 156 units
withdrawn from South West Scotland
(page 124)

Also mentions Class 170's being cascaded to SW Scotland by 2030. It's quite interesting, hope it all comes to fruition.

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member
Going on past experience, when Scotrail do get some new EMUs might these be allocated to Ayrshire with the 380s cascaded elsewhere, as happened with the Class 318s and 334s?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The next lot will be to replace the 318/320s on Argyle/Cathcart/Inverclyde/Barrhead & EK by then. Followed next by bi-modal units with hybrid battery power for Fife etc, those won't be going to Ayrshire.

I don't see either of those going to Ayrshire.

gingertom

Established Member
The next lot will be to replace the 318/320s on Argyle/Cathcart/Inverclyde/Barrhead & EK by then. Followed next by bi-modal units with hybrid battery power for Fife etc, those won't be going to Ayrshire.

the 380s are well suited to the routes. I could perhaps see a couple of battery hybrids being borrowed to do the Ardrossan and Largs routes during times of bad weather at Saltcoats so the power can be turned off.

BDLhouston

Services from kilmarnock-girvan go via ayrshire so ayrshire might see the new bi-mode or hydrogen stock

route101

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see some 385s on the Ayrshire services but the 380s will remain.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see some 385s on the Ayrshire services but the 380s will remain.
Why? The 380 fleet is more than sufficient for Ayrshire and Inverclyde to the extent that some get used elsewhere. I can't see any benefit in running 385s to Ayr, Ardrossan or Largs.

Peter0124

Established Member
Why? The 380 fleet is more than sufficient for Ayrshire and Inverclyde to the extent that some get used elsewhere. I can't see any benefit in running 385s to Ayr, Ardrossan or Largs.
If the 380s have another outage like they did last time, then 385s could run a skeleton service on those routes.

SC318250

Were Ayr drivers not suppose tobe learning the 385s or was that just before covid?

Falcon1200

Established Member
Were Ayr drivers not suppose tobe learning the 385s or was that just before covid?

One would have to ask, what would be the reason, and the benefits? Operating a service with a single fleet of compatible units is by far the most efficient means, and there would not be sufficient Class 385 units to run the full service.

gingertom

Established Member
One would have to ask, what would be the reason, and the benefits? Operating a service with a single fleet of compatible units is by far the most efficient means, and there would not be sufficient Class 385 units to run the full service.
I don't think there's any suggestion of the 385s taking over the Ayrshire routes. I do think running 8-car 385 on peak services would be a slight increase in seating capacity though (16?). Whether that justifies training the staff on the class and the expense that entails? I doubt it.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
My own thoughts is that I cannot see 158s running to Stranraer when the 156s are retired.

The 156s were built 1987-88, and the 158s were built 1989-92 meaning that they are not much younger.

When Paisley Gilmour Street - Largs/Ardrossan/Ayr was electrified in 1986, BR built a fleet of Class 318 trains for those routes, and in 1990 the Class 320s too. I think the former Anglia 321s were built 1988-90, which Scotrail does have some that have been shortened to 3 coach sets.

In 2002-03 I remember the 334s running on the Ayrshire and Inverclyde routes, then subsequently transferred to run on the Queen Street/Central low level routes as the 303s had been retired. When the 380s were introduced in 2010 and after various faults were ironed out, the 334s went to the Helensburgh/Milngavie - Edinburgh via Airdrie route.

As the 318s, 320s, and converted 321s will be the first to approach 40 years in service, I believe that these will go first and a fleet of electric bimode operation trains (whether small diesel engine, hydro, or battery as the second source of power) will be considered bearing in mind the electrification of East Kilbride, Barrhead, and hopefully to Kilmarnock/Barassie (maybe also Gretna Jct - Dumfries as Carlisle - Dumfries is every 60 minutes).

Personally, I would prefer the Girvan - Stranraer section to be mothballed, but compensated with a rail replacement bus service integrated in the railway ticketing system, which would also connect intermediate settlements (e.g. Pinwherry, and Cairnryan) to the railway network with not so much operating cost compared with the present railway line. This replacement bus is similar to Peterborough - Kings Lynn, and Malton - Whitby.

Status
Not open for further replies.