• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann GB quarterly announcements.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bl***y Stingray figurines??? Another sign that Bachmann have caught Hornbyitis! :rolleyes:
Here's the link:
Probably a bit more to get excited about for the N-gauge crowd.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Bl***y Stingray figurines??? Another sign that Bachmann have caught Hornbyitis! :rolleyes:
Ah now, I'm sure they'll fit into anybody's layout! :lol:

Not terribly whelmed by these announcements, I was expecting a few more new toolings and less repaints. They're very proud of their 31s, and quite rightfully too at least.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I'm not an N scale modeller but I'm very impressed with their 10000 and 10001 models.

I hadn't previously spotted that they are doing their OO class 46 Peak with sealed beam lights.
That RRP is quite a hike compared to their class 45/0 sealed beam examples.
And it's the old tooling; a giveaway is the nose traction motor blower grille, with an incorrect "split seam". Their 45/0 tooling corrected that, plus other improvements.

Attachments

• 32-704-2.jpg
    32-704-2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 7
  • No.D182,_BR_no.46045_(Class_46)_(6101022710).jpg
    No.D182,_BR_no.46045_(Class_46)_(6101022710).jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
A very underwhelming announcement to be honest - Bachmann rather hyped it up themselves when they said they were announcing a new tooling Tuesday (the 30/31s) and a whole host of new tooling today. The 31 has somewhat deliberately been priced to target the Accurascale one, while the OBA and TEA to target Rapido and Cavalex respectively. I'm not sure we really need another super detailed 31 and it's disappointing Bachmann seem to be targeting duplications than producing models we've not yet seen before - or due upgrades, or even producing further requested liveries on their own toolings such as the 90, 47 or MK2s.

Also, the noticeable draught for Steam fans seems to continue. And as for Scenecraft - again, I'm not sure what the point in offering 2 versions of the same buildings is, when the only difference is the colour of the door. They've got some excellent models in that range but they seem hell bent on ignoring them, I mean the Truro signal box is a pretty standard GWR Design box for example!

SCH117X

Established Member
A very underwhelming announcement to be honest - Bachmann rather hyped it up themselves when they said they were announcing a new tooling Tuesday (the 30/31s) and a whole host of new tooling today. The 31 has somewhat deliberately been priced to target the Accurascale one, while the OBA and TEA to target Rapido and Cavalex respectively. I'm not sure we really need another super detailed 31 and it's disappointing Bachmann seem to be targeting duplications than producing models we've not yet seen before nal box is a pretty standard GWR Design box for example!
If you watch the Hornby Magazine video
its quite clear Bachmann have been working on the 31 since before Accurascale announced theres

Iskra

Established Member
Despite being non-plussed about the 31 announcement, there was actually quite a bit amongst these announcements for me. I've ordered 5 OTA Timber wagons, 1 OBA wagon and 5 TTA tank wagons. I did consider picking up a WCRC Mk1 to go with my WCRC Accurascale Mk2's I have on pre-order, but I decided against it in case the paint/finishes don't match as then they will look odd together. Some nice looking diesel locomotives too including Peaks with evocative names, but I resisted temptation...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A little bit thin pickings from an N gauge point of view, although the LMS Twins do look very very nice. Not my era though unfortunately.

I was hoping for a couple of new sound fitted class 47 liveries (either large logo or standard blue), but apart from the XP64 one with the collectors club there wasn’t anything.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I bet they'd look rather pleasant sporting a large logo blue, with Highland stags on the side.

A cheeky what-if, @D1511 ? Wonderfully weathered, of course. ;)

I was just wondering if we could use one on Moors View, but they didn’t venture further west than Exeter Central I believe.

I think they’d look good in Dutch livery anyway. :)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A little bit thin pickings from an N gauge point of view, although the LMS Twins do look very very nice. Not my era though unfortunately.

I was hoping for a couple of new sound fitted class 47 liveries (either large logo or standard blue), but apart from the XP64 one with the collectors club there wasn’t anything.

Funnily enough I was hoping for the same, a sound fitted large logo 47 would fit in well in my collection.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With Bachmann continuing their policy of quarterly announcements rather than one big announcement at the start of the year, it does at least leave some hope for further livery variations later in the year.

D1511

I bet they'd look rather pleasant sporting a large logo blue, with Highland stags on the side.

A cheeky what-if, @D1511 ? Wonderfully weathered, of course. ;)
Ha! :lol: I was thinking of actually doing that to one of those reject 73 bodies just for amusement!

Indeed, I was similarly unimpressed with the scant offerings. Either of those 47s would have done nicely, or even better a ScotRail one with light blue body stripe and ploughs :D I must admit those LMS diesels are handsome beasts but don't fit with my eras either, and I've never seen one, so are of no nostalgic value to me. I suppose the MK3 sleepers are a nice addition, but some re-tooled MK1 sleepers would have been nice. The coal sector HEAs will happily sit in my fleet, so I may pick up some of those, but they're hardly exciting. Some new TEA 100T bogie tankers are long overdue, but the eBay battles to get hold of the old Farish 370x models looks like they'll have to continue.....

I have to say that Bachmann's strategy seems more about trying to eradicate the pesky opposition rather than to actually expand the available locomotives to the modeller. Dapol are too big to take on nowadays, but they look like they're going after Accurascale and Revolution. The 31 in particular is trying to pull the rug from under Accurascale, to my eyes anyway.
I sincerely hope their strategy fails. We need a decent number of healthy manufacturers in the market to keep the release of new models interesting.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Ha! :lol: I was thinking of actually doing that to one of those reject 73 bodies just for amusement!

Indeed, I was similarly unimpressed with the scant offerings. Either of those 47s would have done nicely, or even better a ScotRail one with light blue body stripe and ploughs :D I must admit those LMS diesels are handsome beasts but don't fit with my eras either, and I've never seen one, so are of no nostalgic value to me. I suppose the MK3 sleepers are a nice addition, but some re-tooled MK1 sleepers would have been nice. The coal sector HEAs will happily sit in my fleet, so I may pick up some of those, but they're hardly exciting. Some new TEA 100T bogie tankers are long overdue, but the eBay battles to get hold of the old Farish 370x models looks like they'll have to continue.....

I have to say that Bachmann's strategy seems more about trying to eradicate the pesky opposition rather than to actually expand the available locomotives to the modeller. Dapol are too big to take on nowadays, but they look like they're going after Accurascale and Revolution. The 31 in particular is trying to pull the rug from under Accurascale, to my eyes anyway.
I sincerely hope their strategy fails. We need a decent number of healthy manufacturers in the market to keep the release of new models interesting.

I can understand your line of thinking but I don't agree.
Unless you have specific knowledge of the timeline of both Accurascale and Bachmann class 31 projects, you cannot really accuse Bachmann of going after Accurascale's 31. bachmann's video states they have been developing the class 31 over several years, and employed a project manager for at least two years. So when did Accurascale start developing their class 31 ? We don't know the timeline.

fgwrich

Established Member
I can understand your line of thinking but I don't agree.
Unless you have specific knowledge of the timeline of both Accurascale and Bachmann class 31 projects, you cannot really accuse Bachmann of going after Accurascale's 31. bachmann's video states they have been developing the class 31 over several years, and employed a project manager for at least two years. So when did Accurascale start developing their class 31 ? We don't know the timeline.
This is where we’ll have to disagree I think. Bachmann have tried this predatory move in the market before, and if you look at both Bachmann’s and Accurascales range, the only diesel loco not duplicated by Barwell is the Class 50. In the 2 years that Accurascale have had their 31 in the pipeline, Bachmann could have also either played their hand and revealed theirs, or decided it wasn’t worth going head to head for. But like the 37, they’ve chosen another head to head battle with a smaller manufacturer (and I’m well aware there is no love lost between the two companies at all). The only small bit of credence in Bachmann’s favour is that they did produce a new 31 in N, so would have had detailed designs from all the research into that, but to announce it as late as now (and to price it almost similarly) leaves something of a bitter taste and all the hallmarks of a predatory move. They can announce in the video now they’ve had a project manager, but how do we know Accura didn’t do the same (especially as a number of staff have switched from Barwell to Accura).

The other think that somewhat grates, is that Bachmann have in the past claimed a stake that they were producing a certain new model, only to decide to drop it years later, when there was talk of someone else producing it - eg see an all new Turbostar model.

A0wen

On Moderation
Here's the link:
Probably a bit more to get excited about for the N-gauge crowd.

Right - got it. So a model railway producer should *only* produce model railway things, not general models or other products which may be of interest to their end customers.

How about the fact they might be looking at other revenue streams, which migth be of interest to some railway modellers ?

But clearly they should remain pure, only produce model railways regardless of the commercial success of the company......

If you watch the Hornby Magazine video
its quite clear Bachmann have been working on the 31 since before Accurascale announced theres

Bit bold - This - 100%. Just because Bachmann's has come to market second doesn't mean they started the work on theirs second.

(especially as a number of staff have switched from Barwell to Accura).

How many staff do you think / know have switched from Barwell to Accura ? I'm willing to bet it's much fewer than you are speculating.

SCH117X

Established Member
This is where we’ll have to disagree I think. Bachmann have tried this predatory move in the market before, and if you look at both Bachmann’s and Accurascales range, the only diesel loco not duplicated by Barwell is the Class 50. In the 2 years that Accurascale have had their 31 in the pipeline, Bachmann could have also either played their hand and revealed theirs, or decided it wasn’t worth going head to head for. But like the 37, they’ve chosen another head to head battle with a smaller manufacturer (and I’m well aware there is no love lost between the two companies at all). The only small bit of credence in Bachmann’s favour is that they did produce a new 31 in N, so would have had detailed designs from all the research into that, but to announce it as late as now (and to price it almost similarly) leaves something of a bitter taste and all the hallmarks of a predatory move. They can announce in the video now they’ve had a project manager, but how do we know Accura didn’t do the same (especially as a number of staff have switched from Barwell to Accura).

The other think that somewhat grates, is that Bachmann have in the past claimed a stake that they were producing a certain new model, only to decide to drop it years later, when there was talk of someone else producing it - eg see an all new Turbostar model.
Its been Bachmanns practice since 2020 not to pre-announce models. If they were still doing the annual announcements of what they were going to release in the next 18 months, which the model press and shops always misinterpreted as that year (and which invariably took 3-6 years to appear), then from comments in the Hornby Magazine video they would have announced it before Accurascales announcement of Feb 23 2022. May the 2022 announcement but given the project manager has been with them two years and picked the project up possibly 2021 or even 2020. They have previously dropped a model when all they had done was announce it without having much in the way of product development which was the GWR Grange that Hornby announced and produced; Bachmann instead doing the GWR Hall.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Right - got it. So a model railway producer should *only* produce model railway things, not general models or other products which may be of interest to their end customers.

How about the fact they might be looking at other revenue streams, which migth be of interest to some railway modellers ?

But clearly they should remain pure, only produce model railways regardless of the commercial success of the company......
They can do what they like, but if they do something completely out of leftfield with no relevance to their main area of expertise, they should expect some criticism.

Doing foot-tall figurines of a fairly obscure 1960s TV show (one which hasn't even had the attempted relaunch that its stablemate had) in the middle of a video about your already-established unrelated market, does not seem like a smart move to me. As always your mileage may vary.

SCH117X

Established Member
They can do what they like, but if they do something completely out of leftfield with no relevance to their main area of expertise, they should expect some criticism.

Doing foot-tall figurines of a fairly obscure 1960s TV show (one which hasn't even had the attempted relaunch that its stablemate had) in the middle of a video about your already-established unrelated market, does not seem like a smart move to me. As always your mileage may vary.
The Adventures in Plastic range has existed since 2021 with rebranded existing Thunderbird kits from the Aoshima range. The figurines if made by Kader will be most likely being made by the toy division not the model factory. They are being made in conjunction with Anderson Entertainment and being offered for sale on their web site. Reading between the lines Anderson Entertatinment wanted someone to make some foot high figurines and Kader were the agreed party. In the UK Kader is Bachmann Europe so they are being marketed by Bachmann Europe the same with all the other non railway brands they import be they Kader products or not, a handful being

A0wen

On Moderation

It absolutely *is* in their area of expertise. Bachmann have been distributing plastic kits for over 5 years having taken over the ranges a distributor which was closing down had previously have been working with the manufacturers of such items.

A number of other model railway suppliers / distributors also have a more varied set of products than just model railways - and whilst the product may not have been of interest to you, it's clear there are a number of railway modellers who are interested in such products - I guess you didn't watch the Great Model Railway Challenge ?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Adventures in Plastic range has existed since 2021 with rebranded existing Thunderbird kits from the Aoshima range. The figurines if made by Kader will be most likely being made by the toy division not the model factory. They are being made in conjunction with Anderson Entertainment and being offered for sale on their web site. Reading between the lines Anderson Entertatinment wanted someone to make some foot high figurines and Kader were the agreed party. In the UK Kader is Bachmann Europe so they are being marketed by Bachmann Europe the same with all the other non railway brands they import be they Kader products or not, a handful being
Well, every day is a school day! Still think it was a poor fit for a video discussing the model rail range. Whilst we can (and I will) mock some of Hornby's dafter items such as the Beatles vans and Coca-Cola bubblecar, those were at least railway items!

Indeed Hornby's joint marketing with their other brands such as Airfix, is generally handled better than I feel the Stingray stuff was by Bachmann.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just seen this on YouTube. Whilst I don't agree with every point made, there are some salient criticisms in there. Not least that the DCC Autocoupling system isn't made more of a feature and isn't mentioned until around the half hour mark. I just cannot understand why the Stingray figurines were chosen as the lead item! It's almost as if they're embarrassed at inventing a feature that modellers have been asking for for years.

SCH117X

Established Member
Just seen this on YouTube. Whilst I don't agree with every point made, there are some salient criticisms in there. Not least that the DCC Autocoupling system isn't made more of a feature and isn't mentioned until around the half hour mark. I just cannot understand why the Stingray figurines were chosen as the lead item! It's almost as if they're embarrassed at inventing a feature that modellers have been asking for for years.
The same clown did one on Hornbys annoucements being critical of everthing that was not a new tooling. Obviously far too young to remember when we were lucky to get one newly tooled model a year and a new livery or even just a chanhge of running number on an existing model was a rarity.

The figurines were part of a 8 minute round up that included what had happened- the same as the Class 69. The first new item announced was the twin EFE bus pack at 08:29

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The same clown did one on Hornbys annoucements being critical of everthing that was not a new tooling. Obviously far too young to remember when we were lucky to get one newly tooled model a year and a new livery or even just a chanhge of running number on an existing model was a rarity.

The figurines were part of a 8 minute round up that included what had happened- the same as the Class 69. The first new item announced was the twin EFE bus pack at 08:29
I found him quite amusing to be honest, though I will concede that it's easier to be negative. I still stand by my criticism of the Stingray dolls and how prominent they were in the video. I'm sure Bachmann's PR people thought it was a good idea, but to me it came across as a bit of a lame attempt to push some pointless plastic tat.

SCH117X

Established Member
I found him quite amusing to be honest, though I will concede that it's easier to be negative. I still stand by my criticism of the Stingray dolls and how prominent they were in the video. I'm sure Bachmann's PR people thought it was a good idea, but to me it came across as a bit of a lame attempt to push some pointless plastic tat.
Maybe part of the product terms with Anderson Associates who will not be judgng them pointless plastic tat, especially given they are £149.99 each or both for £239.96
https://shop.gerryanderson.com/collections/big-chief-studios-figures

One has four reviews all five star.

Pretty sure a previous quarterly announcement equally covered the 1/12th scale Toyway Raleigh Chopper

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Those prices for the Stingray dolls do make me feel a bit less guilty for spending the amount I do on model railway stuff, I'll give them that at least!

You'll no doubt be pleased to hear that the "clown" as you put it (in my book clowns aren't very funny, but the bloke behind Locomotion Motion was) had his video copyright-claimed by Bachmann. To me (and to a certain well known model railway youtuber) this is blatant abuse of the copyright system by Bachmann and does not paint them in a good light. Some may say the Locomotion Motion video was mean spirited, and to an extent I'd agree... but being mean spirited is not a crime or a breach of copyright. I've given Bachmann a fair bit of money over the years, but their thin-skinned reaction to some harsh but fair criticism will certainly make me think twice about giving them my hard-earned in future.

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
Those prices for the Stingray dolls do make me feel a bit less guilty for spending the amount I do on model railway stuff, I'll give them that at least!

You'll no doubt be pleased to hear that the "clown" as you put it (in my book clowns aren't very funny, but the bloke behind Locomotion Motion was) had his video copyright-claimed by Bachmann. To me (and to a certain well known model railway youtuber) this is blatant abuse of the copyright system by Bachmann and does not paint them in a good light. Some may say the Locomotion Motion video was mean spirited, and to an extent I'd agree... but being mean spirited is not a crime or a breach of copyright. I've given Bachmann a fair bit of money over the years, but their thin-skinned reaction to some harsh but fair criticism will certainly make me think twice about giving them my hard-earned in future.
Serves him right - the main graphic on youtube when you has a stack of video listed on the screen looked like real thing regardless of how the contents of the video were sourced. Copyrighhgt regislation is quite strict.

Another incorrect matter in a Youtube Video is Sam Trains one on costs of the hobby where he claims sellers are price fixing. Sorry completely wrong - the maker of a new item is entitled for 6 months to limit the level of discount. So for I think 8 weeks Bachmann for example limit it to 15% hence a number of sellers immediately discounting by 15%.