• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

becoming a freight train driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luciobrazil007

hi, i am 17 and would like to become a freight train driver once i am old enough.

i am in my second year of college and i will probably not be going to university.
what should i look at doing from now until i am eligible to boost my chances???
:D

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stuart-h

I'd look on the toc's websites - train crew or something along them lines and work your way up.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
hi, i am 17 and would like to become a freight train driver once i am old enough.

i am in my second year of college and i will probably not be going to university.

thanks

I suggest you start by searching the wealth of information already on here, posted by those of us who have become drivers.

Some pointers to get you started:

1. Most freight drivers are recruited as qualified entrants from passenger companies. Become a driver first; worry about what you are driving later.
2. Driving is often a "second career"; something people move into directly, later in life.
3. You don't need to have worked on the railway before to get on a driver trianing course. You will need a strong CV though, with a good standard of education, and plenty of evidence that you can manage yourself and handle responsibility.

Don't count the days "until you are old enough" - most drivers tend to be a bit older than 21. Not trying to put a damper on you; just telling you the reality.

Last edited:

chrisdmadd

thanks

Id try and see as much of the railway as possible, many of the life skills and experiences needed to become a driver can easily be found in many roles in the railway. Find some work on a station (min age 18 or 21 not sure you can easily find out on here though) once you have that under your belt and after a year or twos experience move on to something else, on board staff perhaps. Treat it like an apprenticeship learning the different roles available. Then when you come to applying for a drivers job your almost guaranteed to have seen a hell of a lot and be able confidently show that you've got what it takes to fulfil the role and pass all assesments and interviews.

It's hard but focus more on how to get the skills needed to be a driver now, then when your 21 start applying and you will stand a good chance having had experiences. Most importantly though have a backup plan in case you either don't get past the assesments or in case you have a change of heart!

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Id try and see as much of the railway as possible, many of the life skills and experiences needed to become a driver can easily be found in many roles in the railway. Find some work on a station (min age 18 or 21 not sure you can easily find out on here though) once you have that under your belt and after a year or twos experience move on to something else, on board staff perhaps. Treat it like an apprenticeship learning the different roles available. Then when you come to applying for a drivers job your almost guaranteed to have seen a hell of a lot and be able confidently show that you've got what it takes to fulfil the role and pass all assesments and interviews.

It's hard but focus more on how to get the skills needed to be a driver now, then when your 21 start applying and you will stand a good chance having had experiences. Most importantly though have a backup plan in case you either don't get past the assesments or in case you have a change of heart!

Completely untrue - You may get lucky from these roles, but progression from them is in no way guaranteed, and please do not give others this false impression. Most of us that are drivers, have done something a heck of a lot more demanding, than a travelling waiter's job!

Your second paragraph is far better advice. As we mature, our ideas of what we want to do in life change. Don't limit your options.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I had the same wishes at your age, I joined stations as a dispatcher at 18, moved on to training staff on all the different station functions at 22, I'm now 24 and a shunter driver for a freight company and hopefully on a driving course next year so it's possible.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I had the same wishes at your age, I joined stations as a dispatcher at 18, moved on to training staff on all the different station functions at 22, I'm now 24 and a shunter driver for a freight company and hopefully on a driving course next year so it's possible.

You're one of the lucky few! Well done though, and fingers crossed you end up where you want to be!

E&W Lucas

Established Member
The key point, is that you've had to move about, and create your own career path.

Beveridges

Established Member
As said above getting a job as a Driver in a TOC is far easier than getting one in a FOC. Once your in a TOC you can move to a FOC later.

Regarding the Internal vs External debate (with a TOC):

Getting a job as an Internal then becoming a Driver is easier than trying to get in as an external - depending on TOC. Getting in is *the* hard part. For me getting in Northern as Platform Staff was hard and I got lucky to get in. Once I was in it was relatively easy to secure a very good Drivers role as an MDD, I had a few knockbacks while I was very new but I knew I would be going Driving sooner rather than later. Now I'm driving as an MDD there's countless opportunities to move into other forms of driving (i.e. mainline) but I prefer to be doing what I'm doing now.

I'm not in the minority. Loads of people join my TOC as Guards and become Drivers in less than 12 months. It's a proven path. Some have even joined as Cleaners and are now Drivers. As an external, to get the best chance, apply for drivers roles and other roles as well, such as Conductor, Platform Staff, Cleaner yes some of these jobs are hard to get in as it is, and they require different skills to driving (one can be good at one of these and terrible at driving, & vice versa) , but once you are in, its far, far easier to move around - but you need to be in a TOC that recruits trainee drivers in mass numbers like Northern for example. If you are in Virgin for example then there's almost no chance internally; they mainly recruit qualified drivers, in low numbers.
It may be worth trying to attempt the psychometric tests as soon as you can because if you cannot pass that then Driving is out of the question.

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
but you need to be in a TOC that recruits trainee drivers in mass numbers like Northern for example. If you are in Virgin for example then there's almost no chance; they mainly recruit qualified drivers, in low numbers.

Spot on. They are the companies to target, either as an internal or external candidate. Buffet crew were mentioned above. The companies that have them, aren't big recruiters of trainee drivers. Intercity guard, etc. to unit operator trainee driver, is another regular career move.

As said above getting a job as a Driver in a TOC is far easier than getting one in a FOC. Once your in a TOC you can move to a FOC later.

Regarding the Internal vs External debate (with a TOC):

Getting a job as an Internal then becoming a Driver is easier than trying to get in as an external - depending on TOC. Getting in is *the* hard part. For me getting in Northern as Platform Staff was hard and I got lucky to get in. Once I was in it was relatively easy to secure a very good Drivers role as an MDD, I had a few knockbacks while I was very new but I knew I would be going Driving sooner rather than later. Now I'm driving as an MDD there's countless opportunities to move into other forms of driving (i.e. mainline) but I prefer to be doing what I'm doing now.

I'm not in the minority. Loads of people join my TOC as Guards and become Drivers in less than 12 months. It's a proven path. Some have even joined as Cleaners and are now Drivers. As an external, to get the best chance, apply for drivers roles and other roles as well, such as Conductor, Platform Staff, Cleaner yes some of these jobs are hard to get in as it is, and they require different skills to driving (one can be good at one of these and terrible at driving, & vice versa) , but once you are in, its far, far easier to move around - but you need to be in a TOC that recruits trainee drivers in mass numbers like Northern for example. If you are in Virgin for example then there's almost no chance internally; they mainly recruit qualified drivers, in low numbers.
It may be worth trying to attempt the psychometric tests as soon as you can because if you cannot pass that then Driving is out of the question.

This is an interesting point, but in terms of objective-based tests such as the structured interview, do the OPC tend to look very favourably on railway-based experiences? Or are the experiences they are looking for simply just more likely to occur once you work within the rail industry?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Completely untrue - You may get lucky from these roles, but progression from them is in no way guaranteed, and please do not give others this false impression. Most of us that are drivers, have done something a heck of a lot more demanding, than a travelling waiter's job!

Your second paragraph is far better advice. As we mature, our ideas of what we want to do in life change. Don't limit your options.

I agree. Of all the people I worked with at the station and in the booking office who expressed an interest in becoming a train driver, I know of only ne person who achieved that goal.

I strongly suspect that working on the railway now has little relevance to securing a driving job these days.

Beveridges

Established Member
I agree. Of all the people I worked with at the station and in the booking office who expressed an interest in becoming a train driver, I know of only ne person who achieved that goal.

I strongly suspect that working on the railway now has little relevance to securing a driving job these days.

As said before, working for a TOC that recruits trainees in large numbers gives the best chace (almost guarantee) to securing a drivers job, providing you can pass the pyscho tests, which have about a 50% pass rate.

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
As said before, working for a TOC that recruits trainees in large numbers gives the best chace (almost guarantee) to securing a drivers job, providing you can pass the pyscho tests, which have about a 50% pass rate.

Oh come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to work for one of the major recruiters of trainee drivers, and my experience was somewhat different. 90% of trainees were external. Jobs were advertised internally, but management freely admitted that they had no expectation of finding (m)any suitable candidates. The only difference, was that it was a DOO outfit.

455driver

Veteran Member
XC, VT and EC dont generally train their own drivers (unless ordered to by DaFT or whoever) preferring to poach* from other companies, the chances of being 'promoted' internally is virtually nil because when they do train people up it is normally external candidates.

* back in the good old days it would be called link progression but privytisation put paid to that.

Beveridges

Established Member
Oh come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to work for one of the major recruiters of trainee drivers, and my experience was somewhat different. 90% of trainees were external. Jobs were advertised internally, but management freely admitted that they had no expectation of finding (m)any suitable candidates. The only difference, was that it was a DOO outfit.

That is a major difference if it was a DOO outfit!

chrisdmadd

Well this is the idea of public forums.... People ask for advice and people give advice.

Some differ from each other and that's fine. I was just saying how I would do it from my point of view if i were a 17 year old.

I've been accepted as a trainee driver and I know for a fact that I wouldn't have had the oppertunity had I not been in the railway and already got the skills needed.

Anyway I'm not for one to get into arguments with computer screens so ill leave it at that. Good luck OP and I hope you at least read and consider my advice along with others on here and end up where you want to be!

Lucas he might be paying for your/my pension one day!

Also I didn't say anything was guartenteed but I've been through the interviews and passed them and I know what it takes to fail them too. You need solid evidence and I think he/she can get this through working on the railway from a young age which by the sounds of it he/she would be willing to do anyway.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member

The only almost certain guarantee is that a guard will automatically get through the sift or even any safety critical personnel as they have carried the required fields to be automatically sifted however that is where it ends. Once sifted and internal candidate except an MDD or shunt driver will be treated the same as anyone else. The only guarantee Bev is getting through the sift and only if you are SC.

chrisdmadd

The only almost certain guarantee is that a guard will automatically get through the sift or even any safety critical personnel as they have carried the required fields to be automatically sifted however that is where it ends. Once sifted and internal candidate except an MDD or shunt driver will be treated the same as anyone else. The only guarantee Bev is getting through the sift and only if you are SC.

I might be mis-reading what you've put there but are you saying you will automatically get through the sift if your SC?

My TOC recently took on drivers and me the fitter got through the sift but a number of guards and MDDs didn't even get an interview.

Beveridges

Established Member
If you fail a sift with northern as an internal its no big deal there is always loads of other chances, sometimes within weeks of each other, improve your app form (often poorly written ones fail that dont answer the questions properly), try again, repeat until success. I dont know anyone in northern who wants to be a driver who has been stuck in their conducting / platform / cleaning role for a long time and unable to move, with the exception of those few who have failed the psycho tests twice.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My TOC recently took on drivers and me the fitter got through the sift but a number of guards and MDDs didn't even get an interview.

Where I am its very rare for a fitter to apply to become a driver, and quite rare for an MDD to apply (although technically an MDD is already a Driver but a different sort of Driving role), most internals who apply are conductors, often with success, often with less than 12 months experience.

Last edited:

Legzr1

In my experience , it's the other way round !
Freight drivers , trained , then going to the passengers .

In my experience too.

There are XC, EC, Ftpe and Northern depots in Newcastle, Edinburgh, Leeds and Donacaster where the majority of drivers are ex-freight.
Some are close to 100% ex-freight.

Perhaps it's different further south (especially at the suburban companies servicing London and Birmingham).

Still, if freight is the dream then there are opportunities with GBrF and DBS for ground gaff, shutters and even control / TOPS staff to move into the footplate grade - GBrF actively encourage it and a large proportion of DBS drivers are ex-fitters and ground staff so there's a decent chance of progression.

TDK

Established Member
I might be mis-reading what you've put there but are you saying you will automatically get through the sift if your SC?

OK, I will be honest here. Firstly if a guard puts in an application form for a driver and does not get through to the sift they have either missed out a part of the form, have completely messed it up or have a poor record i.e. sickness, punctuality etc. The questions asked on the sift are graded and the answers a guard gives will certainly get them through. There are no guarantees in life except death so therefore there is a possibility a guard will not get through the sift and if that is the case it is not down to their previous experiences as these are enough to get them through.

Legzr1

Yeah I've certainly put the cat among the pigeons at my place it seems. Lots of raised eyebrows!

Whereas, at the largest FOC in the country (who have recently gone through a large recruitment drive) its common place.
An acting APM covering several large depots in the North and several hundred drivers and groundstaff was a fitter a few years ago, moved onto driving and is now a fairly well respected manager moving up the management pile.

The are very real opportunities out there.

Perhaps TOC qualified drivers and shed drivers aren't the best to be giving advice really.:|

Beveridges, you mentioned you were a platform assistant prior to moving into the driving grade. Is this a well-trodden path for just Northern, or do other TOC's tend to bring up more internal vacancies for trainee drivers?

Beveridges

Established Member
Beveridges, you mentioned you were a platform assistant prior to moving into the driving grade. Is this a well-trodden path for just Northern, or do other TOC's tend to bring up more internal vacancies for trainee drivers?

Well trodden path in Northern but I don't know if it is in other TOC's. In some TOC's, especially InterCity ones, it clearly isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.