• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

becoming a freight train driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will.C

I've recently been offered a position pending a medical as a Trainee Driver for a FOC as an external off of the street so it does happen.

One thing I'll say is get as much experience in the working world as you can and always take opportunities when they're given to you. Not long before getting the chance to become a Train Driver I was asked if I wanted to Step up to a Shift Leader at my current work. Many have turned it down because of the poor pay and pretty rubbish conditions, I took it though as it meant me completing a 4 week training course and it was also a position of responsibility, both of which tick some of the boxes on the job criteria in my opinion. It also gave me the majority of my answers for the questions asked in the Multi Modal Interview and Production Manager Interview. It's given me lots of S**ty scenario's to be in but I made sure I met them all head on and dealt with them instead of doing nothing and hoping it went away. I honestly believe that if I didn't have this opportunity then I'd still be applying for driver jobs.

Another thing I'd say is when you get to the assessment and then the final interview just be prepared.
Practice as much as you can, I even got a manager at my work to do mock interviews with me which certainly helped no end. I done my research and found examples of questions that are asked which are all on this forum, and then prepared my answers, I'd write them out fully and then break them down into what I call 'buzz words.' Single words that when you remember you can then roll off a complete and accurate answer.

There's so much knowledge on this forum, it has been a vital source of info for me and there are many knowledgable people on here who have been in the industry for years.

Just keep at it as well, I'd applied for a fair few positions and got knocked back. The position that I've been offered was one I applied for last August! Didn't hear from them about the assessment day date till Feb this year, then had the Production Manager Interview a couple of weeks back, now have a start date of July/August, pretty much 12 months all in all.

Like I was told in the final interview, age is also on your side.

Good luck fella, all the best ;)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.