• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham to Teignmouth (or locality)

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
You could also do a similar split with a Freedom of Severn & Solent 3 in 7 rover saver
£3.40 x2 Birmingham - Barnt Green singles
£4.40x2 Barnt Green - Worcester not Birmingham single(stop short at Ashchurch)
£45 FOSS
£13.70 Tiverton - Teignmouth SVR

Total £74.30

My split is cheaper than that ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
In the 'experienced travellers' bracket:

Droitwich Spa - Chippenham Off Peak Return £26.50. Start short at Birmingham New Street and end short at Bristol Temple Meads on this ticket. No need to alight at Bristol TM if on a through train to Exeter/Teignmouth

Bristol TM - Teignmouth Off Peak Return £35.00

Total: £61.50.

Combination could be used on the 1542 Birmingham NS - Teignmouth direct service on Friday 6th September.

No direct trains on the return on Sunday 8th September and engineering works between Bristol and Gloucester in the morning. The first all train option would be 1322 from Teignmouth changing at Exeter St Davids for the 1350 to Birmingham New Street.

soil

Established Member
I think I'd pay the £2 extra for the Craven Arms - Teignmouth Anytime Return, TBH. (Or Church Stretton - Totnes, for the same price.)

Last edited:

jkdd77

In the 'experienced travellers' bracket:

Droitwich Spa - Chippenham Off Peak Return £26.50. Start short at Birmingham New Street and end short at Bristol Temple Meads on this ticket. No need to alight at Bristol TM if on a through train to Exeter/Teignmouth

Bristol TM - Teignmouth Off Peak Return £35.00

Total: £61.50.

Combination could be used on the 1542 Birmingham NS - Teignmouth direct service on Friday 6th September.

No direct trains on the return on Sunday 8th September and engineering works between Bristol and Gloucester in the morning. The first all train option would be 1322 from Teignmouth changing at Exeter St Davids for the 1350 to Birmingham New Street.

Cheaper still:
Droitwich Spa - Chippenham Off Peak Return £26.50.
Bristol TM - Exeter St Davids Off Peak Return £26.50
Exeter St Davids - Teignmouth Off Peak Day Single £3.90
Teignmouth - Exeter St Davids Off Peak Day Single (dated for day of return travel) £3.90
Total: £60.80

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, I agree that the Craven Arms ticket is the best alternative so far. Far less likely to convince a guard that Droitwich Spa - Chippenham is valid via Birmingham, and using a combination of tickets that don't join together in an obvious way will only attract more questions.

I'd rather pay the extra £2 for much less bother.

MarlowDonkey

If the resolution of this is to find a cheap Birmingham to Bristol TM fare, then Birmingham to Bromsgrove return is 6.90 and Bromsgrove to Bristol TM (not via BHM) is 28.80, assuming I've looked it up correctly. The restriction obviously that the train stops at Bromsgrove which might require a change of train to get to Bristol.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If the resolution of this is to find a cheap Birmingham to Bristol TM fare, then Birmingham to Bromsgrove return is 6.90

You need two singles at £5.50 each as this ticket you mentioned is not a period return.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Plus there are only two trains a day between Bromsgrove and Cheltenham; the rest of the time you'd have to change at Worcester which will add an hour or more to your journey.

bnm

Established Member
Far less likely to convince a guard that Droitwich Spa - Chippenham is valid via Birmingham

I agree there is always a chance that one day you'll get a TM not prepared to accept the ticket. I've had a couple of TIRs issued, but correspondence with CrossCountry confirmed my original tickets were valid. A friend successfully appealed a UFN also. You can of course protect yourself further by getting an itinerary and seat reservations, as booking engines will give both for a Droitwich Spa - Chippenham Off Peak Return.

Incidentally, despite Easement 700189, you can also get seat reservations for Worcester and Malvern to Chippenham via Birmingham New Street using booking engines.

Someone not confident enough to use the 'system' to their financial benefit is of course better off (piece of mind, if not financially) with the Craven Arms - Teignmouth option.

soil

Established Member
Someone not confident enough to use the 'system' to their financial benefit is of course better off (piece of mind, if not financially) with the Craven Arms - Teignmouth option.

In this case it's not clear that the cheaper option (£61.50) is cheaper, on average, than the more expensive (£63.50) one, given the greater risk of having to write letters, etc., to deal with any TIRs, etc.

chutuk

Hi All,

Sorry to re-visit this, just wanted to double check there's been no new easements/changes that would affect the proposed tickets (Craven Arms to Teignmouth via BHM) as I'm now in a position to purchase them.

Thanks again!
Andy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.