• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elecman

Established Member
I always understood the original intention was DMUs from whichever date they choose, with the continuation of bustitution of last/ first Trains whilst the OLE works are finished overnight. Then Electric services from the May timetable change. So the unfitted steelwork / wiring will carry on at night whilst the DMU service runs during the day.

The main delay now must be to platform works at Blackpool North, Poulton and Kirkham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I always understood the original intention was DMUs from whichever date they choose, with the continuation of bustitution of last/ first Trains whilst the OLE works are finished overnight. Then Electric services from the May timetable change. So the unfitted steelwork / wiring will carry on at night whilst the DMU service runs during the day.

The main delay now must be to platform works at Blackpool North, Poulton and Kirkham.

Precisely what I was thinking but posts from LDECRexile who is very well informed suggests it really is mainly OHLE that is the hold up.

Elecman

Established Member
The OHLE was never intended to be complete by March 26th it only ha# to be complete Tested and signed into use by the May timetable change

Railrover700

Last edited:

Jonny

Established Member
The trouble is that it is rather difficult to safely do the OHLE work while trains are running. Hence they may prefer a line closure.

LDECRexile

Established Member
As I understand it the OHLE could be completed over an indefinitely long period overnight, holidays etc, with diesels providing rail services. However, the blockade has been lengthened instead partly to get the pain over and done with and benefits realised as soon as possible and largely because the testing train is unavailable after 15th April, as per #6544 (linked below.)

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...r-electrification.66879/page-219#post-3385818

All parties also want to limit reputational damage and release the kit and staff for whatever lies next. The indefinite drizzle approach would push other schemes further back.

Geeves

Established Member
From what we can make out Northern plan to have an Electric on both the airport and Liverpool workings on timetable change over date. We know from previous OHLE works that even when it looks like all is lost they suddenly pull the finished product out of the bag, Chat moss for example. That gives them till May to get it done.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
From what we can make out Northern plan to have an Electric on both the airport and Liverpool workings on timetable change over date. We know from previous OHLE works that even when it looks like all is lost they suddenly pull the finished product out of the bag, Chat moss for example. That gives them till May to get it done.
(My emphasis)

I thought that until I learned that the testing train is unavailable after 15th April, which makes 15th April effectively the deadline, hence we don't have a couple of months to clear the backlog, but about three weeks.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
(My emphasis)

I thought that until I learned that the testing train is unavailable after 15th April, which makes 15th April effectively the deadline, hence we don't have a couple of months to clear the backlog, but about three weeks.
The previous mention (unless there was another one I missed) was that it was booked for a period ending 15 April. Do we know if it is possible to change that booking for a later date? It's not as if the testing train is overwhelmed with work commissioning electrification elsewhere...

LDECRexile

Established Member
The previous mention (unless there was another one I missed) was that it was booked for a period ending 15 April. Do we know if it is possible to change that booking for a later date? It's not as if the testing train is overwhelmed with work commissioning electrification elsewhere...

I have been told that it is booked for that period because the 15th is the latest it's available.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I have been told that it is booked for that period because the 15th is the latest it's available.
Dave is this the one you and I and (LNGWJoint?) saw in Liverpool Lime Street Dec 2014 which is yellow coaches with a pantograph and measuring equipment sandwiched between two class 37s? I think it is usually based at derby? Is this one and the same?

driver_m

Established Member
Might not be the test train thats the issue, but the staff needed to test the line. Hopefully it all gets sorted out now, and those angry writers in the gazette are chippy wrapping material for hungry rail passengers in the near future .

59CosG95

Established Member
Dave is this the one you and I and (LNGWJoint?) saw in Liverpool Lime Street Dec 2014 which is yellow coaches with a pantograph and measuring equipment sandwiched between two class 37s? I think it is usually based at derby? Is this one and the same?
It could well be something of the sort - the "MENTOR" coach (MENTOR: Mobile Electrical Network Testing, Observation & Recording) is the one fitted with the pantograph.
Alternatively, the NMT (New Measurement Train) could be used, as the route into Blackpool North is due to receive Pendolinos.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I visited Kirkham Jct, Bridge 29, Blackpool N, Layton, Poulton and the Yarrow Viaduct today.

Bridge 29 is having its parapets raised, which appears to be the only thing preventing wiring around Kirkham Jct. I would be surprised if the Bridge 29 work lasts beyond tomorrow, it may even finish today, after which the wiring teams can get stuck in. I have been told that all imminent wiring is to be done at night.

Blackpool N was awash with orange, including people with clean clobber guiding "blue helmets" round (ie visitors) so the site is under close scrutiny. The platforms looked close to done, one base awaits its mast, otherwise to this layman it looks wire-ready. There are no wires up in the station, but the carriage sidings look hearteningly wiry and also awash with orange. Road-rail kit was on site, some in use.

Layton looks fully wired in the Blackpool direction, just the return wire in the Preston direction.

Wires approach Poulton from Blackpool, finishing just west of Tithebarn Rd bridge. I don't know where they restart south of the station, but I happened to meet NODROG who said Singleton looks fully wired. A photo was published and copied onto this thread a day or two ago which made it look as if Poulton platform is a million miles from done. That is not the case, it looks very encouraging. If we were opening to the public on Monday what I saw from the road bridge gave me no worries that we could. Plenty of orange on show, some with road-railers.

Progress is slow but clear on Yarrow viaduct, where a bespoke job is being done to fix pairs of "bases" on the outsides of two pillars. Three of the four are in place. Very amiable abseiling Orangeman reckons it is more likely to take weeks than days.

Photos later.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member

Probably, but all I've been told is "Test Train", so I can't be sure.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Progress is slow but clear on Yarrow viaduct, where a bespoke job is being done to fix pairs of "bases" on the outsides of two pillars. Three of the four are in place. Very amiable abseiling Orangeman reckons it is more likely to take weeks than days.

Now I can well understand that that work was badly affected by recent wind and weather, and needs to be done in daylight.
Great report by the way.

driver_m

Established Member
It could well be something of the sort - the "MENTOR" coach (MENTOR: Mobile Electrical Network Testing, Observation & Recording) is the one fitted with the pantograph.
Alternatively, the NMT (New Measurement Train) could be used, as the route into Blackpool North is due to receive Pendolinos.

Wouldn't have thought the NMT is required first to run a pendo for testing. Did it run out of Liverpool before a pendo ran across the St Helens Central line when it was freshly wired to test the durability of the power?. I remember two were used on the Chat Moss to try and see if it could cope with a large power draw. At a guess they'll probably try an 88 or a 92 to test the power draw first.

59CosG95

Established Member
Wouldn't have thought the NMT is required first to run a pendo for testing. Did it run out of Liverpool before a pendo ran across the St Helens Central line when it was freshly wired to test the durability of the power?. I remember two were used on the Chat Moss to try and see if it could cope with a large power draw. At a guess they'll probably try an 88 or a 92 to test the power draw first.
The 92 seems to be a certainty for power draw (and type) testing, given that the GBRf 2018 Tour includes 92 haulage into Blackpool North!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Bridge 29 is having its parapets raised, which appears to be the only thing preventing wiring around Kirkham Jct. I would be surprised if the Bridge 29 work lasts beyond tomorrow, it may even finish today, after which the wiring teams can get stuck in. I have been told that all imminent wiring it to be done at night.
I'd have thought it would be possible to get on with installing (but not energising) wiring under a bridge that needs its parapet raising, as long as it doesn't need clearances increasing underneath as well. The raised parapet addresses the hazard of people dangling things onto a live wire, which can't arise until the wire is energised.

Class 170101

Established Member
Manchester Picc and Vic – Preston
Hourly Preston – Manchester Victoria service will now run between Buckshaw Parkway and Manchester Victoria
Hourly Manchester Airport – Blackpool North via Wigan EMU service

Have I missed something but where do trains turnaround at Buckshaw Parkway? Surely Preston is a more worthwhile traffic objective in any event both for flows in and out of Preston?

LDECRexile

Established Member
I'd have thought it would be possible to get on with installing (but not energising) wiring under a bridge that needs its parapet raising, as long as it doesn't need clearances increasing underneath as well. The raised parapet addresses the hazard of people dangling things onto a live wire, which can't arise until the wire is energised.

Normally, yes, but when you look at my photos from yesterday you'll see the method adopted for this bridge is the exception which proves the rule.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Have I missed something but where do trains turnaround at Buckshaw Parkway? Surely Preston is a more worthwhile traffic objective in any event both for flows in and out of Preston?

I think it would be reasonable to interpret "between" as "via", but as written, you are right, making it rum. Is Preston a worthwhile traffic objective for flows out of Preston?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

There's a new crossover east of Buckshaw which allows turnback moves from the station.
Presumably it saves a unit and avoids congestion through Euxton Jn and at Preston.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Might not be the test train thats the issue, but the staff needed to test the line. Hopefully it all gets sorted out now, and those angry writers in the gazette are chippy wrapping material for hungry rail passengers in the near future .
I have heard your lot are looking to run an instrumented test Pendo down there in April, chances are they won't be by the sounds of it.

driver_m

Established Member
I have heard your lot are looking to run an instrumented test Pendo down there in April, chances are they won't be by the sounds of it.

Wouldn't be surprised. The Liverpool one was held up a number of times. Still, it shouldn't be a problem getting a train or a driver if they did it at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.