• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge at Whaley Bridge to be replaced early 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Network Rail press release

Residents in Whaley Bridge are being invited to an information event to learn more about essential work next year to secure the future of the High Peak town's railway link.

Network Rail is investing £5.1m to replace a Grade II listed bridge which takes the railway over Buxton Road.

The bridge, which was built in 1863, needs to be replaced to keep rail passengers and the Whaley Bridge community safe for years to come.

Despite regular maintenance over the years, the bridge now needs to be significantly strengthened and undergo a major upgrade.

Without the work taking place there's a real risk a bridge bash by a high vehicle could stop trains above for many months, completely cutting off Whaley Bridge, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Dove Holes and Buxton from the railway network.

To explain how engineers plan to carry out this vital work, the project team is hosting a community information drop-in event on Wednesday 23 November 2022 at Whaley Bridge Uniting Church between 4-7pm.

So engineers can replace the bridge safely, it is proposed that Buxton Road will need to be closed:
  • From 9 January – 15 January 2023, there will be single line traffic under the structure.
  • From 16 January – 31 March 2023, the road will be fully closed to traffic.
  • From 4 February – 5 March 2023, there will be no pedestrian access under the bridge.
Helena Williams, project manager at Network Rail, said: “We understand that closing Buxton Road will cause residents disruption, which is why we have worked hard to make sure the full road closure is as short as possible.
“Because of the bridge’s special heritage status, we have to preserve as many of its original features as possible, which means the work will take much longer than a standard bridge replacement. I hope to see the local community at our information event so we can share more information about our plans and address any concerns.”
Network Rail has worked carefully with High Peak Borough Council and Historic England to make sure the work is carried out in consideration of the bridge's heritage status.

The team will preserve around one third of the original structure and replace the rest of the bridge in-keeping with its original design.

This important preservation lengthens the time the work will take compared to a more straightforward modern bridge replacement.

Work to replace the bridge begins on 4 January and will be completed in April 2023.

From 17 February – 28 February 2023, there will be no railway services between Hazel Grove and Buxton, passengers are advised to check www.nationalrail.co.uk before travelling.

And here's a piece from the Buxton Advertiser for a couple of weeks ago:

An application has been submitted to High Peak Borough Council (HPBC) for Listed Building Consent for a proposed partial reconstruction of a historic railway bridge in the town.

The BEJ42 bridge carries the Buxton to Edgeley Junction railway line over the A5004 Buxton Road.

Network Rail, and its predecessor Railtrack, have been aware of a crack in the outer cast iron span of the bridge since 2002, the application states.

[snip]

The problems with the bridge have been ongoing for many years.
An application for Listed Building Consent to replace the bridge with a modern span was submitted by Network Rail in 2010.

This was refused by HPBC in 2011, and subsequently dismissed at appeal later that same year.
The reason for refusal was because the application failed to fully justify the significant harm to the listed structure.

[etc etc]

See the application at www.highpeak.gov.uk and search for HPK/2022/0342.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadMarsupial

The lengthy road closure is due to the use of the road to store materials, cabins and containers. The local county councillor has been trying to arrange an alternative place for all this storage which would result in a much shorter ( down to 14 days ) road closure. I don't know whether she succeeded - she said she had agreement in principle a couple of weeks ago.

furnessvale

Established Member
Quite a long diversion by road to circumnavigate that!
There is a vey short road diversion available, via Old Road, but it is not suitable for HGVs. It is, however, banned for through traffic to avoid it becoming a rat run. I believe it should be made available for cars only. and perhaps the local buses, for the duration of the works.

Sadly, the local authority are very reluctant to adopt any traffic measures which upset local residents, hence the nonsense of cars parking both sides of the main road in question, just south of the railway bridge, which causes chaos in the rush hour.

Blurb

The local residents do not have anywhere else to park their cars. In rush hour many cars are seeking a quicker route to Buxton via Long Hill rather than staying on the A6.
Anyway…back to the bridge closure. Alternative pedestrian route is through the park and not excessively longer.

furnessvale

Established Member
The local residents do not have anywhere else to park their cars. In rush hour many cars are seeking a quicker route to Buxton via Long Hill rather than staying on the A6.
Anyway…back to the bridge closure. Alternative pedestrian route is through the park and not excessively longer.
Pedestrians fine. Without using Old Road it is a long diversion for cars. Not sure the lack of alternative parking is an excuse for blocking a public highway. Parking should be allowed on ONE side, the west side, with double yellows on the east side where the majority of houses have private drives.

It is ALL relevant to the reconstruction of a railway bridge that could cut Whaley in two for weeks on end.

ricoblade

The lengthy road closure is due to the use of the road to store materials, cabins and containers. The local county councillor has been trying to arrange an alternative place for all this storage which would result in a much shorter ( down to 14 days ) road closure. I don't know whether she succeeded - she said she had agreement in principle a couple of weeks ago.
For the current ECML road bridge work at Bawtry, they've created 2 off road compounds and the total road closure is 2 weeks.

unlevel42

Is this the bridge that has been cited in another thread as a reason for more stone/cement traffic using the Hope Valley?
If so will some trains be rerouted?

The Planner

Veteran Member
No, almost no stone trains go this way due to the steep falling gradient from Dove Holes to Whaley Bridge, and the lack of a crossover at Buxton; occasional empties go up the hill.
Pretty sure a crossover is going in at Buxton as part of the block.

furnessvale

Established Member
No, almost no stone trains go this way due to the steep falling gradient from Dove Holes to Whaley Bridge, and the lack of a crossover at Buxton; occasional empties go up the hill.
More to do with the steep climb out of Buxton towards Dove. The condition of the bridge at Whaley has stopped loaded freights for a few years, but I think engineers trains still occasionally cross it.

There are two return empty paths to the quarries that way. The evening one is almost certain to run, the afternoon less so.

MisterSheeps

Buxton to Bibbington is 1 in 66 up, then it's 1 in 58 down most of the way from 'Dove' to 'Whaley', whatever Disley to Hazel Grove is, and you've got the problem of getting it through Stockport. Shame Adswood bridge went.

furnessvale

Established Member
Buxton to Bibbington is 1 in 66 up, then it's 1 in 58 down most of the way from 'Dove' to 'Whaley', whatever Disley to Hazel Grove is, and you've got the problem of getting it through Stockport. Shame Adswood bridge went.
Correct. Whaley will never become a major freight route, but if it only takes one or two extra trains a day from the Dowlow direction, it will be most welcome to the residents of mine, and a whole string of villages who don't have the luxury of a Whaley road bypass.

MisterSheeps

From what I have read, half is through limestone (rest is shale), leaks through the roof, strong underground springs, has been relined several times, AFAIK needs constant maintenance, greasy rail conditions. In cold conditions you get large damaging icicles. But it's 1 in 90, so easier than the former LNW (via Whaley Bridge).

Snow1964

Established Member
There will possibly be a Network Rail digital update (emails) that can be signed up for. They are doing it for Bradford-on-Avon bridge rebuild (but that is taking 8 months because it is enclosed by buildings on all corners).

Incidentally I have just added some new photos to BoA bridge thread

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I wonder if they'll increase the clearance of the bridge at the same time with a slimmer deck perhaps - it's a slightly low bridge and this is the High Peak, sometimes driving skills are in shortage with the mixture of tourists and non-local HGV drivers.

snowball

Established Member
I wonder if they'll increase the clearance of the bridge at the same time with a slimmer deck perhaps - it's a slightly low bridge and this is the High Peak, sometimes driving skills are in shortage with the mixture of tourists and non-local HGV drivers.
The planning application is linked from the Buxton Advertiser in post #1. The arched profile seems unchanged, at a glance.

furnessvale

Established Member
Clearances will be the same. The southernmost arch actually remains untouched as no rail lines are above it. The other three arches are to be replaced by replicas made of Corten steel.

One of the major causes of delay was Derbyshire County Council's desire to see increased road clearance to allow larger HGVs versus the local authorities desire to stop this at any cost! It would appear the log jam is broken possibly, my guess, by the worsening condition of the bridge and NR banging heads together to avoid a class 66 being deposited in the road!

MadMarsupial

Meeting tonight by Network Rail to discuss this work has been cancelled at very short notice. Source - local County Councillor.

Steve 0353

Meeting tonight by Network Rail to discuss this work has been cancelled at very short notice. Source - local County Councillor.
They have trouble running a railroad and now cannot even run a meeting. Nice cold walk for nothing.

Network Rail press release

And here's a piece from the Buxton Advertiser for a couple of weeks ago:
Personally I would be happy to replace the bridge with a modern structure - can be done quickly. What I would like to know is how we will get a bus service at the Buxton side of Whaley.

MadMarsupial

#1 gives the reasons - basically to explain what they were doing to the bridge and to go through the extensive closures. The only way to bypass the bridge is to use "Old Road" which is a narrow "access only" road where passing other vehicles is often difficult. There are a small number of people in Whaley who don't want the bridge repaired at all because they fear a lot of heavy quarry traffic on the line but it is explained above that this is not going to happen. Most people are concerned with the practical problems during the long proposed closure which NR haven't really thought through e.g. kids getting to school, the problems that the closure will cause for Old Road and its residents and bus routes. NR were given advance warning of the issues and the strength of feeling so decided to cancel and prepare better - source CC Ruth George.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Clearances will be the same. The southernmost arch actually remains untouched as no rail lines are above it. The other three arches are to be replaced by replicas made of Corten steel.

One of the major causes of delay was Derbyshire County Council's desire to see increased road clearance to allow larger HGVs versus the local authorities desire to stop this at any cost! It would appear the log jam is broken possibly, my guess, by the worsening condition of the bridge and NR banging heads together to avoid a class 66 being deposited in the road!
I know it's listed, but the increased road clearances would have made a lot of sense to enable the A5004 (Long Hill) as a diversionary route if the Chapel bypass is closed.
It's quite a long way around, esp. from the North for a HGV friendly route if the bypass is closed, given the low bridge at Buxworth too.
But that's up to HPBC I suppose.
I can see the urgency of getting it done given the severing effect in Whaley it would have too, but it's a missed opportunity.

The planning application is linked from the Buxton Advertiser in post #1. The arched profile seems unchanged, at a glance.
Get to read that paper at work, will give it a peruse thank you.

furnessvale

Established Member
I know it's listed, but the increased road clearances would have made a lot of sense to enable the A5004 (Long Hill) as a diversionary route if the Chapel bypass is closed.
It's quite a long way around, esp. from the North for a HGV friendly route if the bypass is closed, given the low bridge at Buxworth too.
But that's up to HPBC I suppose.
I can see the urgency of getting it done given the severing effect in Whaley it would have too, but it's a missed opportunity.

Get to read that paper at work, will give it a peruse thank you.
A new design giving increased road clearance was submitted by NR several years ago but rejected by HPBC. Any urgency now is entirely down to prevarication by the local authorities.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are a small number of people in Whaley who don't want the bridge repaired at all because they fear a lot of heavy quarry traffic on the line but it is explained above that this is not going to happen.
NIMBYism at its finest...

Steve 0353

There is a vey short road diversion available, via Old Road, but it is not suitable for HGVs. It is, however, banned for through traffic to avoid it becoming a rat run. I believe it should be made available for cars only. and perhaps the local buses, for the duration of the works.

Sadly, the local authority are very reluctant to adopt any traffic measures which upset local residents, hence the nonsense of cars parking both sides of the main road in question, just south of the railway bridge, which causes chaos in the rush hour.
I agree but using Old Road is the only option to have a bus service. Maybe they could use it for Buses only and enforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.