• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge at Whaley Bridge to be replaced early 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
A new design giving increased road clearance was submitted by NR several years ago but rejected by HPBC. Any urgency now is entirely down to prevarication by the local authorities.
Typical HPBC! At least it’ll be made safe now…

I agree but using Old Road is the only option to have a bus service. Maybe they could use it for Buses only and enforce it.
Accesses several homes and businesses. Plus its very narrow.
Expect they’ll ban parking on both sides for a few weeks and that’s about it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Work now started according to this press release

Essential work to secure the railway through Whaley Bridge in Derbyshire's High Peak is now underway.

Network Rail is investing £5.1m to replace a Grade II listed bridge which takes the railway over Buxton Road.

The heritage structure, which was built in 1863, needs to be replaced to keep rail passengers and the Whaley Bridge community safe for years to come.

Despite regular maintenance over the years, the railway crossing now needs to be significantly strengthened and undergo a major upgrade.

So engineers can replace the bridge safely, from today (Monday 16 January) the following traffic restrictions will be in place on Buxton Road:

From 16 January – 31 March 2023, the road will be fully closed to traffic
From 16 February – 5 March 2023, there will be no pedestrian access under the bridge
Work is expected to be complete by April 2023

Without the work being carried out there’s a real risk a bridge bash by a high vehicle could stop trains above for many months, completely cutting off Whaley Bridge, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Dove Holes and Buxton from the railway network.

Network Rail has tried to plan the work to cause the least disruption to road users, local people and businesses.

However, the geography of the bridge going over the main road in and out of the town and heritage status of the structure, means that the renewal will be complex and requires a full road closure over several weeks.

The project team met with local people earlier this month to hear their views and concerns on how the scale of the essential upgrade will impact on the town and its businesses.

Acting on suggestions from the public events, from January 23 a shuttle bus service will be provided to help people with additional mobility needs get from one side of Whaley Bridge to the other.

Network Rail is also working with the local bus company on ways its services can be strengthened during the road closure.

Details of the bus services and diversionary routes are expected to be finalised by the end of this week and will be publicised locally with posters and letters will be sent to residents and local businesses.

MadMarsupial

It has indeed. Today!
Work seems to be progressing. The "Cock pub" side of the bridge has now been blasted, repaired and coated in primer. I think that was the easy part as it was not loadbearing. Whaley residents can travel to Newtown or Buxton on the train free of charge if they have a 66+ bus pass and there is a free bus shuttling from The Cock to the other side of the bridge via Chapel and the bypass.

MadMarsupial

that is a long diversion ... why can't it go the street parallel to the old high peak line?
`I presume you mean Old Road. Old Road is access only and practically a single track road. It couldn't cope with the level of traffic and/or vans and lorries. Some people are using it despite clear signage telling them not to. Businesses are affected partic take-aways and sandwich shops.

bristollh

that is a long diversion ... why can't it go the street parallel to the old high peak line?
Don't forget that the shuttle bus also acts to provide a service to people through Chapel to connect with the diverted 199 and/or access Whaley Bridge.

Jeff

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Rail passengers are being advised of a 10-day railway closure from this Saturday on the Buxton line for essential railway repairs in Whaley Bridge.

Network Rail is investing £5.1m to replace a Grade II listed bridge which takes the railway over Buxton Road.

The heritage structure, which was built in 1863, needs to be replaced to keep rail passengers and the Whaley Bridge community safe for years to come.

The project is progressing well and has now reached the point the railway must be closed above for crucial components of the listed structure to be replaced.

It means that from this Saturday 18 February until Tuesday 28 February 2023, there will be no trains between Hazel Grove and Buxton.

During that time:

the existing railway lines will be lifted,
the old bridge structure will be removed,
the new steel ribs will be craned into place,
pre-cast concrete panels for the new bridge deck will be installed,
then new tracks will be laid ready for trains to run again from start of service on Tuesday 28 February.

Passengers are urged to check www.nationalrail.co.uk if they're planning to travel on the Buxton line during the 10-day closure.

Rail replacement buses will be in operation to keep passengers on the move between Hazel Grove and Buxton.

However they will not be able to serve Whaley Bridge station itself because of the road closures needed for the project*.

Rob Stephens, Network Rail principal route engineer, said: “We’ve reached the stage the railway needs to close in this important project to make Buxton Road bridge fit for the future. While rail replacement buses will be in operation to keep passengers on the move, journeys will take longer and I’d advise people to check National Rail Enquiries so they know exactly what to expect while travelling between Buxton and Hazel Grove between 18 and 28 February.

“I’d also like to thank residents and businesses in Whaley Bridge for their continued patience and support while we carry out this major bridge upgrade, which will secure the town’s vital railway link for generations to come.”

Chris Jackson, regional director at Northern, said: “All investment in rail infrastructure that improves the customer experience and service reliability is very much welcomed. I’d like to thank customers for their patience while this essential work is carried out and apologise for any short-term inconvenience caused.”

Pedestrians are also reminded that from this Thursday (16 February) there will be no access under the bridge until Sunday 5 March.

Buxton Road will remain closed until Friday 31 March and work is expected to be complete by April 2023.

Network Rail is working carefully with High Peak Borough Council and Historic England to make sure the work is carried out in consideration of the bridge's heritage status.

The team will preserve around one third of the original structure and replace the rest of the bridge in keeping with its original design.

This important preservation lengthens the time the work will take compared to a more straightforward modern bridge replacement.

You can find out more about some of the conservation work carried out across the railway network at: www.networkrail.co.uk/working-with-railway-heritage.

furnessvale

Established Member
Press release

Of course, trains could continue from Hazel Grove as far as New Mills Newtown for passengers, empty stock reversing at Furness Vale. This would get passengers away from the horrendous traffic jams in HG as far up as Disley but that would be far too convenient for them. Far better to make them suffer.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Of course, trains could continue from Hazel Grove as far as New Mills Newtown for passengers, empty stock reversing at Furness Vale. This would get passengers away from the horrendous traffic jams in HG as far up as Disley but that would be far too convenient for them. Far better to make them suffer.
Although New Mills Newtown is quite hard for rail replacement to get to.

furnessvale

Established Member
Although New Mills Newtown is quite hard for rail replacement to get to.
I'm sure passengers would walk to the A6, if necessary, rather than sit in the jams through HG and up the A6 as far as High Lane before the traffic eases. In any case, no need for a specific rail replacement bus, just make tickets valid on the 199 between Buxton and New Mills Newtown.

I don't suppose the curtailed train at HG is going to run via Chinley and the freight line into Buxton via the back door either?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I'm sure passengers would walk to the A6, if necessary, rather than sit in the jams through HG and up the A6 as far as High Lane before the traffic eases. In any case, no need for a specific rail replacement bus, just make tickets valid on the 199 between Buxton and New Mills Newtown.

I don't suppose the curtailed train at HG is going to run via Chinley and the freight line into Buxton via the back door either?
See, the latter would be useful, but I don't think it's passed for passenger service unfortunately.
Northern never organise ticket acceptance with High Peak Buses, I don't think they have a particularly good relationship with the company, and the 199 is slower.
A direct bus from New Mills Central for Manchester passengers might be a good idea to at least try and provide a GM to High Peak link.

furnessvale

Established Member
See, the latter would be useful, but I don't think it's passed for passenger service unfortunately.
Northern never organise ticket acceptance with High Peak Buses, I don't think they have a particularly good relationship with the company, and the 199 is slower.
A direct bus from New Mills Central for Manchester passengers might be a good idea to at least try and provide a GM to High Peak link.
The freight line has been used for passenger diversions in the not too distant past, and charters still go that way.

Rail tickets are currently being accepted on 60, 61 and 190 services so the relationship must have improved. 199 New Mills to Buxton would be a useful add on.

Your proposed New Mills Central service misses out Stockport. Extension from HG to NMN is the only sensible option. It would directly rail serve Middlewood, Disley and New Mills Newtown, and be the fastest option for everything south of NMN.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The freight line has been used for passenger diversions in the not too distant past, and charters still go that way.
The Sectional Appendix shows the ex-Midland line from Chinley to Buxton via Peak Forest to be for freight only. It is not provided with TPWS, which is a requirement for all passenger lines.

When the Hazel Grove - Buxton line was blocked by a landslip near Middlewood in 2016, Northern operated a DMU shuttle service between Buxton and New Mills Newtown, but only used the Peak Forest line for ECS moves of the trapped units to and from the depot. This required FOC drivers to act as route conductors, because Northern traincrew do not sign the line.

Railtours can get special dispensation to traverse freight lines.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The Sectional Appendix shows the ex-Midland line from Chinley to Buxton via Peak Forest to be for freight only. It is not provided with TPWS, which is a requirement for all passenger lines.

When the Hazel Grove - Buxton line was blocked by a landslip near Middlewood in 2016, Northern operated a DMU shuttle service between Buxton and New Mills Newtown, but only used the Peak Forest line for ECS moves of the trapped units to and from the depot. This required FOC drivers to act as route conductors, because Northern traincrew do not sign the line.

If required, service passenger trains can also get the same special dispensation available to railtours for Goods Line Authority.

AlastairFraser

Established Member

See, Northern getting route conductors must be difficult. I know there is a base at Peak Forest, but AFAIK the quarry is still pretty busy, so they're not likely to have many spare.

Rail tickets are currently being accepted on 60, 61 and 190 services so the relationship must have improved. 199 New Mills to Buxton would be a useful add on.

Your proposed New Mills Central service misses out Stockport. Extension from HG to NMN is the only sensible option. It would directly rail serve Middlewood, Disley and New Mills Newtown, and be the fastest option for everything south of NMN.
Hmm, weird.
I wonder why they left out the 199, it would give passengers more options.
Perhaps they're worried about overcrowding - HP had some driver shortages not too long ago and it's difficult to recruit in an area like the High Peak, esp. when there's local competing employers like Lomas Distribution and Buxton Water.

I know my service misses out Stockport - the railway could still run a service to NMN as well if they wanted to serve both markets.
The route from New Mills Central passes Newtown, so it could easily drop off/pick up there on the way to Buxton and it's much easier to turn at New Mills Central at the bus turning circle- judging by your username, you likely already know this.
Given a lot of the weekend Hope Valley services are now 6 car 195s, this splits the flow of passengers to GM from the High Peak, for the sake of under a mile extra than Newtown and still saved mileage off running to HG.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Rail passengers are being advised that the railway between Hazel Grove and Buxton will need to stay closed for an extra day after unexpected complications with a Victorian railway bridge rebuild.

Since Saturday 18 February tracks have been shut so Network Rail engineers can complete essential work to a Grade II listed structure which takes the railway over Buxton Road in Whaley Bridge.

This week Network Rail has been deconstructing the 1863 built bridge and replacing it with new steel in keeping with its heritage features*.

But the team ran into unexpected problems during the demolition of the 160-year-old railway crossing.

Despite detailed surveys of the bridge before work started it was only when deconstruction began that the actual condition of the original structure was revealed.

Elements which were intended to stay intact during demolition couldn't be removed in one go, leading to work taking much longer than anticipated.

That means the railway will now reopen from first service on Wednesday 1 March – a day later than hoped.

Today (Friday 24 February) Network Rail has apologised to passengers for the delay.

To keep people on the move the project team has worked closely with train operator Northern to ensure that rail replacement buses will be in place between Hazel Grove and Buxton during the extended railway closure**.

Passengers are advised that journeys will take longer than usual, and to check www.nationalrail.co.uk before they travel.

Rail Ranger

A further complication of diverting trains from Buxton via Peak Forest and Chinley to Hazel Grove is that there is no direct access from Buxton station to the Peak Forest line. It requires reversal in a reversing siding at Buxton, the exit from which used to be and may still be controlled by a ground signal. Passenger trains are not allowed to depart under the authority of a ground signal. Also the points at the exit from the reversing siding may need to be clipped and scotched if there is no facing point lock requiring the presence of a Mobile Operations Manager. I believe that the crossover points at Furness Vale do not have a facing point lock.

Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
A further complication of diverting trains from Buxton via Peak Forest and Chinley to Hazel Grove is that there is no direct access from Buxton station to the Peak Forest line. It requires reversal in a reversing siding at Buxton, the exit from which used to be and may still be controlled by a ground signal. Passenger trains are not allowed to depart under the authority of a ground signal. Also the points at the exit from the reversing siding may need to be clipped and scotched if there is no facing point lock requiring the presence of a Mobile Operations Manager. I believe that the crossover points at Furness Vale do not have a facing point lock.
Correct. In happier times, when passengers mattered, curtailed trains used to run to New Mills Newtown with passengers, then empty stock to Furness to use the crossover MT stock. In even happier times, I have been passenger on trains using the xover with clipped and scotched points!

Press release

Part of the "complications" being that in lifting one of the redundant beams using two cranes it broke in two, demonstrating the state of the structure.

I hope NR learn lessons from this, and in future are rather more forceful with local authorities who prevaricate when essential work needs doing.

MadMarsupial

Correct. In happier times, when passengers mattered, curtailed trains used to run to New Mills Newtown with passengers, then empty stock to Furness to use the crossover MT stock. In even happier times, I have been passenger on trains using the xover with clipped and scotched points!

Part of the "complications" being that in lifting one of the redundant beams using two cranes it broke in two, demonstrating the state of the structure.

I hope NR learn lessons from this, and in future are rather more forceful with local authorities who prevaricate when essential work needs doing.
Given the state the structure was found in will Network Rail now instigate a "Near Miss" type investigation - on the basis that the bridge might have been in danger of failure in recent months/years?

PF19

You'd like to think that a "Lessons Learnt" at minimum is carried out, with NR approaching the council and the local community showing the seriousness of such a failure...
This bridge has been a well known issue for an awfully long time and action should have been taken soon but you live and learn I guess!
Thankfully it'll all be well and the curveball restrictions over the bridge can be removed at long last!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
An update on the rail replacement arrangements.
I've used them the past 2 weekends and props to Northern's RRB contractor for their plan here.
Frequent, on time coaches of a decent standard and they connected to New Mills Central (makes it easier for Manchester connections, but also for the coaches as New Mills Newtown is v. awkward to reverse in and out of).

A big contrast from their Preston services, where 16 seater minibuses have been sent from Preston to Manchester on a Sat (likely Northern's peak).

furnessvale

Established Member
An update on the rail replacement arrangements.
I've used them the past 2 weekends and props to Northern's RRB contractor for their plan here.
Frequent, on time coaches of a decent standard and they connected to New Mills Central (makes it easier for Manchester connections, but also for the coaches as New Mills Newtown is v. awkward to reverse in and out of).

A big contrast from their Preston services, where 16 seater minibuses have been sent from Preston to Manchester on a Sat (likely Northern's peak).
Good at weekends, not so good in the weekday peaks.

The trains should have continued to New Mills Newtown, but the replacement bus could have run Disley to Buxton, with pick up points on the A6. All history now but as far as I can see the rail replacement buses are running virtually empty. Why pay a rail fare when the 199 costs £2.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Good at weekends, not so good in the weekday peaks.

The trains should have continued to New Mills Newtown, but the replacement bus could have run Disley to Buxton, with pick up points on the A6. All history now but as far as I can see the rail replacement buses are running virtually empty. Why pay a rail fare when the 199 costs £2.
I've heard of no problems in the weekday peaks - were there issues with traffic at High Lane? The bypass section at Chapel means they can regain a lot of time if they get delayed earlier.

Why run it Disley to Buxton if you're going to run trains to New Mills Newtown? New Mills Central then Newtown and stations down the A6, excluding Whaley Bridge.
Running to Disley would just mean an awkward turnaround and the RRBs struggling to get to Disley in the 1st place.

The RRBs definitely didn't run empty on the weekend mornings at least - in the evening, yes, but there's never many passengers on it at the time I return from work.
Northern do Railcard advances up to the last minute from Manchester to Buxton for £3.30, which is cheaper than the 199 and 192 or train from Stockport.
Even for local journeys such as Buxton to Furness for example, it's still faster than the 199 if time is limited, because of the limited stop running - besides the fact that the RRB stops in a better location for the vast majority of the residents of Chapel (for the benefits of other readers, Chapel's central station was closed when the Peak Forest freight line, originally the Midland line through the Peak District to Derby closed to passengers in 1968).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What's the latest news as regards trains resuming from Manchester Picc through to Buxton via Whaley Bridge?

Today, tomorrow or now next week?

PF19

What's the latest news as regards trains resuming from Manchester Picc through to Buxton via Whaley Bridge?

Today, tomorrow or now next week?
Should be up and running after 0500 tomorrow (Wednesday 1st March) is the latest I've heard... Here's the latest picture I've got!

Attachments

• IMG_20230227_122656.jpg
    IMG_20230227_122656.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
Not noted for being struck by HGVs, but I wonder which haulage company will get the coconut for scratching that lovely paint job?

Meerkat

Established Member
That is a bit garish! So have the council forced NR to put in a bridge with more restricted clearance than was necessary?!

Status
Not open for further replies.