• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Temple Meads - eastern approach remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes, you can see that they have already started work.

During part of the Bristol East work, there will be no platforms available at Temple Meads. The T3 occupation of all lines being appropriately the country (West) side of Bath Road over bridge.

What’s bizarre is that the work to “extend the platform” is ‘temporary’. Keeping in mind that it’s only the surface that needs work doing, as the platforms were build for much longer trains. The surface and coping stones having been damaged by the various plant (dumpers, etc.) used last time they resurfaced the current in use part of the platform... Oh and not much effort being maid to control the vegetation.
What’s bizarre is that the work to “extend the platform” is ‘temporary’. Keeping in mind that it’s only the surface that needs work doing, as the platforms were build for much longer trains. The surface and coping stones having been damaged by the various plant (dumpers, etc.) used last time they resurfaced the current in use part of the platform... Oh and not much effort being maid to control the vegetation.

Given that the four coach Castle class ‘HST’ 2+4 sets now call regularly, as do some DMUs that are four units long, it would make sense to do a proper job of it.

And if the passenger numbers grow again once the effects of COVID19 Corona virus have disappeared, it is possible that even longer trains may call at this station (e.g. 2 car + 3 car Turbos).
Temporary works may secure exemption from some standards that would be costly to comply with.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
A recent extension of usable platform on the upside at Bedminster allowed a 4 car 158 to stop comfortably,but a Castle is front 2 coaches only. The reason given for not lengthening further to accommodate a full Castle set was that any further extension would require the surface to be brought up to modern standards. Also additional lighting would need to have been provided. This and similar work at Parson Street (I was told) would take place for the Bristol Metro work. Is this temporary work being removed upon completion of the Bristol East works?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
During part of the Bristol East work, there will be no platforms available at Temple Meads. The T3 occupation of all lines being approximately the country (West) side of Bath Road over bridge.
Thanks for that explanation! I was going to question what was in the article linked to myself since the description in the article didn't exactly explain it well.

"The work on the layout of the tracks at the Bristol East junction just to the north-east of Temple Meads will affect the city's main station for at least eight weeks this summer, and mean for a time trains won't be able to reach Temple Meads from the south west."

Makes it sound like trains from the South West need access to Bristol East Junction which obviously isn't the case specifically, although if they are taking up all the platforms too as part of the work that would explain why trains can't use the station!

Annetts key

Established Member
As well as the Bristol East Junction track work, the interlocking data (the signalling system) needs to be changed. Hence any and all signalling controlled by the affected interlocking system has to be taken out of use.

In addition, the next phase of erecting scaffolding for the Temple Meads station roof works will be taking place.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
As well as the Bristol East Junction track work, the interlocking data (the signalling system) needs to be changed. Hence any and all signalling controlled by the affected interlocking system has to be taken out of use.

In addition, the next phase of erecting scaffolding for the Temple Meads station roof works will be taking place.
That makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation.

greatvoyager

Established Member
What’s bizarre is that the work to “extend the platform” is ‘temporary’. Keeping in mind that it’s only the surface that needs work doing, as the platforms were build for much longer trains. The surface and coping stones having been damaged by the various plant (dumpers, etc.) used last time they resurfaced the current in use part of the platform... Oh and not much effort being made to control the vegetation.

Given that the four coach Castle class ‘HST’ 2+4 sets now call regularly, as do some DMUs that are four units long, it would make sense to do a proper job of it.

And if the passenger numbers grow again once the effects of COVID19 Corona virus have disappeared, it is possible that even longer trains may call at this station (e.g. 2 car + 3 car Turbos).
An extended platform may very well be useful in the future, but I guess time will tell.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
More details starting to come out from GWR: https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/...content=EB1133046&utm_campaign=APR_BERP_P1_21

Looks like it's going to be a long summer for me commuting from Cardiff to Bristol...

Yep you might want to take some time off between 9-13 August and 31 Aug - 3 Sep.

For the rest of the time you’ll be changing at Parkway.

(This assumes you’re not commuting at weekends, which adds a little more fun)

However, I shouldn’t worry too much. Twice in my time I’ve had my commute disrupted by long term engineering works which caused me to lose direct services and have extended journey times. After a couple of trips you get used to it and it becomes the ‘new normal’. In my case one of the changes lasted the best part of a year, adding half an hour each way - yes it was a bit of a chore but you soon forget it.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I think one of the last weekend blocks is getting shifted too due to some events on.

superkev

Established Member
I dont suppose the works include taking the opportunity to do any electrification works.
Criminal to me Filton bank was not done or at least masted when it was 4 tracked.
K

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I dont suppose the works include taking the opportunity to do any electrification works.
Criminal to me Filton bank was not done or at least masted when it was 4 tracked.
K

Correct, as that would extend the block. However everything is being out in ‘electrification ready’, ie there will be nothing in the way of ‘simply’ putting up the OLE. Roughly half the cost of electrification is getting everything out of the way, so arguably about half of the tasks for electrification are being done in this project.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Network Rail's page about the improvements makes interesting reading.

NetworkRail said:
Bristol East Junction
This summer, we’ll be replacing the tracks at Bristol East Junction, on the approach to Bristol Temple Meads station from London, the midlands/north and south Wales.

The brand new tracks in a clever new layout will allow trains to come in and out of the station more easily, meaning less delays and better journeys. An extra line is also being introduced to support additional suburban services being planned for the future.

That seems to imply (without saying explicitly) substantial improvements to suburban services. Does anyone have any idea what those might be? Off the top of my head the new 2tph to London aren't exactly 'suburban services'. There's the possible 1tph to Henbury, but that's pretty speculative on whether that branch gets built. And the expected 1tph to Portishead when that line opens won't be relevant to Bristol East Junction unless it carries on East of Bristol. Putting those together doesn't by itself really seem to quite match with the optimistic text on NR's page, so I'm wondering if there are other service improvements being planned?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Network Rail's page about the improvements makes interesting reading.

That seems to imply (without saying explicitly) substantial improvements to suburban services. Does anyone have any idea what those might be? Off the top of my head the new 2tph to London aren't exactly 'suburban services'. There's the possible 1tph to Henbury, but that's pretty speculative on whether that branch gets built. And the expected 1tph to Portishead when that line opens won't be relevant to Bristol East Junction unless it carries on East of Bristol. Putting those together doesn't by itself really seem to quite match with the optimistic text on NR's page, so I'm wondering if there are other service improvements being planned?

Various extra services in the GW franchise, and the proposed MetroWest project.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The Severn Beach line is expected to move to half hourly in December - a very long awaited and welcome improvement that was dependent on both Filton bank four tracking and Bristol East.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Yep likely to be the half hourly metrowest services that are supposed to be starting in December (through journeys from the Severn Beach line to Bath and Westbury apparently, though struggling to find a definite source for that).

DaveHarries

Established Member
The Severn Beach line is expected to move to half hourly in December - a very long awaited and welcome improvement that was dependent on both Filton bank four tracking and Bristol East.
Good news indeed and, being a user of the line, I certainly welcome it and will look forward to using this improved service if it materialises. I also hope that, as part of the December improvements that are planned, Severn Beach will get a more frequent daytime service (although I don't live there). I think it could be improved further without altering that frequency between Bristol Temple Meads and Avonmouth and hope that will happen one day.

Yep likely to be the half hourly metrowest services that are supposed to be starting in December (through journeys from the Severn Beach line to Bath and Westbury apparently, though struggling to find a definite source for that).
Yes I heard this as well on another forum.

Dave

Yindee8191

Good news indeed and, being a user of the line, I certainly welcome it and will look forward to using this improved service if it materialises. I also hope that, as part of the December improvements that are planned, Severn Beach will get a more frequent daytime service (although I don't live there). I think it could be improved further without altering that frequency between Bristol Temple Meads and Avonmouth and hope that will happen one day.

Yes I heard this as well on another forum.

Dave
I believe the weekday service through to Severn Beach will be hourly, as an extension of every other one of the half hourly Avonmouth services.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I believe the weekday service through to Severn Beach will be hourly, as an extension of every other one of the half hourly Avonmouth services.
Good. I hope that it will be well-used: Severn Beach is rather short on public transport: the only other public transport it has is the bus to Cribbs Causeway.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that there were plans to increase the Bristol TM to Worcester service to hourly by extending the trains which currently terminate at Gloucester. I wonder if that will be implemented at the same time as the improvements to the Severn Beach line.

Dave

ABB125

Established Member
I also seem to recall reading somewhere that there were plans to increase the Bristol TM to Worcester service to hourly by extending the trains which currently terminate at Gloucester. I wonder if that will be implemented at the same time as the improvements to the Severn Beach line.
Hopefully; an hourly service south from Worcester would really be useful for me!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a reminder that this thread is for the discussion of what is actually happening on the Bristol Temple Meads eastern approach remodelling project from an infrastructure works perspective.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then please use or start another thread in the appropriate section.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I appreciate why it wasn't possible to do it any other way (schemes like this take a hell of a long time to plan in and isn't something that can be significantly brought forward at a moments notice), it is somewhat bad timing that the disruption will occur right when a lot of people will start getting back on the train after spending the best part of a year not using the railways. Will be interesting to see what happens. I'm somewhat lucky in that my company have essentially unofficially confirmed that they will let people work from home going forward if that is what they want, so I shouldn't be too badly affected by the works - but for those people who don't have that option it has the potential to be pretty painful! Especially if you commute between Bristol and Bath, August is basically just a write off rail wise.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I appreciate why it wasn't possible to do it any other way (schemes like this take a hell of a long time to plan in and isn't something that can be significantly brought forward at a moments notice), it is somewhat bad timing that the disruption will occur right when a lot of people will start getting back on the train after spending the best part of a year not using the railways. Will be interesting to see what happens. I'm somewhat lucky in that my company have essentially unofficially confirmed that they will let people work from home going forward if that is what they want, so I shouldn't be too badly affected by the works - but for those people who don't have that option it has the potential to be pretty painful! Especially if you commute between Bristol and Bath, August is basically just a write off rail wise.
At least it's timed for when a lot of people are on holiday and with no schools traffic substitute buses will be a bit quicker (and also easier to source!). The Nottingham and Derby blockades showed how people can change their arrangements if given enough notice.

Roast Veg

Established Member
At least it's timed for when a lot of people are on holiday and with no schools traffic substitute buses will be a bit quicker (and also easier to source!). The Nottingham and Derby blockades showed how people can change their arrangements if given enough notice.
Yes Derby blockade was, while disruptive, very well handled. I expect this to be much the same.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Filton lines closed Sat 10th July to Sat 7th Aug.
All lines closed Sat 7th Aug to Sat 14th Aug.
(plats 8, 10, 12, 15 still accessible from West, except on Sun 8th when everything is shut)
Main lines closed Sat 14th Aug to Tues 31st Aug.
All lines closed (again!) Tues 31st Aug to Sat 4th Sept - Rhubarb curve open to allow traffic to avoid station.

Having said that - this was from a plan that was written just before somebody got a bit poorly in Wuhan.

Will X-Country services use the avoiding line route between North Somerset Junction and Bristol West Junction?

-Colly405-

Just received the publicity letter from GWR, and they are stating that Temple Meads is only completely shut on 8/8 and 31/8-3/9. Does that mean that the shuttles via SPM on 9-14/8 are only because the East end is closed, and that the west end is open as usual?

snowball

Established Member
The July issue of Modern Railways has a focus on the Western, and pp. 59-63 are about the Bristol East project.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The July issue of Modern Railways has a focus on the Western, and pp. 59-63 are about the Bristol East project.
Went into a newsagent today (Sunday) and failed to find it. Perhaps the edition is not out yet but I will keep my eyes open as I would be interested to read that.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.