• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus fare cap beyond election

clagmonster

Established Member
It’s a fixed payment for the period effective, regardless of actual customers carried. It’s calculated using data from autumn 2022 seasonally adjusted and further adjusted for inflation and mileage changes.
Split reg services offer singles throughout but through fares on non-linked service are excluded. I believe Hull to York is £2 on X46/7 but if you went to, say, Foxwood on their 12 that’s a separate fare.
Cheers.

The split reg services feel a bit like the operator having their cake and eating it, but if the scheme allows it then so be it.

On the through ticketing between non linked services, previously there was no through fare from Hull to Foxwood, although I am not sure the 12 was an EYMS service back when the scheme started. Nevertheless, the same is true of a journey say from Willerby to York, for which there wasn't previously a through fare and there still isn't a £2 fare.

However, that leads me to consider, what happens on journeys where there was previously a through fare? Say for example the connecting through fares onto services 1/2 to Europarc in North East Lincolnshire. Would a passenger travelling from, say Waltham to Europarc be charged £2 or whatever through fare without cap is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ALEMASTER

For me I think the conversation that needs to happen is whether the money being spent subsidising the cheap fares would be better used supporting tendered services that are being axed because local authorities have insufficient funding as costs of providing the service have increased with inflation.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think the fare cap will remain regardless of who governs, but may be raised to £2.50. It's either not known, or forgotten, by many that the pensioners' Winter Fuel Payment quickly decreased to £200 from £300 per household and has only increased again (as a one-off?) this last Autumn.

Leedsbusman

Cheers.

The split reg services feel a bit like the operator having their cake and eating it, but if the scheme allows it then so be it.

On the through ticketing between non linked services, previously there was no through fare from Hull to Foxwood, although I am not sure the 12 was an EYMS service back when the scheme started. Nevertheless, the same is true of a journey say from Willerby to York, for which there wasn't previously a through fare and there still isn't a £2 fare.

However, that leads me to consider, what happens on journeys where there was previously a through fare? Say for example the connecting through fares onto services 1/2 to Europarc in North East Lincolnshire. Would a passenger travelling from, say Waltham to Europarc be charged £2 or whatever through fare without cap is?

Cheers.

Yes that’s probably a better example - the 12 came to mind just to prove a point.
The through fare is up to the operator really - nothing to stop anyone charging £2 but it’s officially out of scope.