• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Busiest single platform station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Have we asked this question previously? What's the busiest single platform on NR in terms of numbers of trains departing? I thought Chafford Hundred would be pretty busy, but then I looked up Dingle Road (near Penarth) which has 8 trains an hour departing in either direction from its single platform. Can anywhere else top that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Chafford Hundred is the busiest by number of passenegers.

Initial thoughts are Ware or Dingle Road.

Please please, please no-one be a smart arse and say somewhere on the Liverpool underground network.

Statto

Established Member

Please please, please no-one be a smart arse and say somewhere on the Liverpool underground network.

I was going to mention Liverpool Central Wirral Line platform.:lol:

daikilo

Established Member

I don't think any station on the Liverpool Underground network is single platform and nor are they "owned" by Network Rail. Dingle Road will meet both criteria until NR divolves everything in Wales.

Statto

Established Member
I don't think any station on the Liverpool Underground network is single platform and nor are they "owned" by Network Rail. Dingle Road will meet both criteria until NR divolves everything in Wales.

There is more than 1 platform at all the Liverpool Stations, but the Wirral line has only 1 platform on the loop Stations bar James Street which has 3 platforms., all the Stations on the loop served by the Wirral line connect with other lines bar James Street

daikilo

Established Member
There is more than 1 platform at all the Liverpool Stations, but the Wirral line has only 1 platform on the loop Stations bar James Street which has 3 platforms., all the Stations on the loop served by the Wirral line connect with other lines bar James Street

Yes, but the question was "single platform stations", and Lime Street has heaps upstarirs, whilst Central has 3 plus a few more under the rubble upstairs.

And I maintain that I don't think the loop stations "belong" to NR (not sure about the track though).

That said, if the loop platforms count then any one will have more trains and far more foot-flow than Dingle Road.

Last edited:

FGW_Lad

Hey guys, I've just joined the forums so don't be too harsh lol!!

Windsor & Eton Central seems to be very busy always, does that count?

Cheers :D

First class

Established Member
Network Rail own all Merseyrail stations, including the underground ones! Like every other TOC, Merseyrail "leases" the stations from NR.

Anyway, Merseyrail busiest single platforms:

Ormskirk - 1.028 million at last count
Kirkby Merseyside - 2.192 million at last count

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Why will NR's introduction of a Wales route change anything? It's an organisational change and will have no effect on NR's freehold of the stations.

MadCommuter

Network Rail own all Merseyrail stations, including the underground ones! Like every other TOC, Merseyrail "leases" the stations from NR.

Anyway, Merseyrail busiest single platforms:

Ormskirk - 1.028 million at last count
Kirkby Merseyside - 2.192 million at last count

OP stated 'in terms of number of train'. Would these stations still be the case?

Ivo

Established Member
Ormskirk and Kirkby both have four trains an hour, plus an irregular service to Preston/Manchester on what is generally considered a separate platform in the same way as at the likes of Bristol Temple Meads (3/4, etc) or Birmingham New Street (10a/10b, etc). An interesting point though is that the Merseyrail Lime Street station is actually operated separately to the rest of the station (Merseyrail manage it, not Network Rail), and is essentially only considered a part of the main station for logistical purposes. So in that sense it could actually count, with its 14tph off-peak. Of course, Moorfields and Central do not count, because there is the small matter of the Northern Line above it.

I'm surprised no-one has said Cardiff Bay yet. Along with the afore-mentioned Stourbridge Town, it is surely one of the top two, counting terminating services as two (arrival and departure)?

In terms of different services, Colchester Town must be in with a shout, having Colchester to Walton-on-the-Naze, the local to the main station only, and also a Liverpool Street train?

(Seen as I've mentioned them, one fact about Kirkby, and two about Moorfields: 1, Courtesy of the change of PTE stations passenger usage recordings for the 2009/10 data, Kirkby is now the busiest single-platform station by usage, beating Chafford Hundred by almost 300,000; 2, To access Moorfields station from Moorfields itself passengers have to go up an escalator from ground level, and then down from the ticket office to the underground platforms; 3, The gap between the two platform levels is unusually large for a simple "cross" station such as Moorfields, because whilst the Northern Line passes over Queensway, the Wirral Line passes under it.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.