• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C2C- Future Trainee Train Drivers and Shunters - East Ham and Shoeburyness (23/10/23)

Samzino

Hopefully we hear back this month. Really excited for even a sniff of opportunity to be in the front office.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zain K

Hey guys, I applied for shunter and mainline trainees. Got to the managerial interview stage but have not heard anything yet

Samzino

Hey guys, I applied for shunter and mainline trainees. Got to the managerial interview stage but have not heard anything yet
I assume they're still processing things in the background. That is however also assuming you've completed the DMI rather than awaiting a date to sit one.

Last edited:

Zain K

I assume they're still processing things in the background. That is however also assuming you've completed the DMI rather than awaiting a date to sit one.
Yeah already done the DMI at the London head office about a month back now. Seems others on here are still waiting too. No updates showing yet on my application so hopefully still doing background work as you said.

Samzino

Yeah already done the DMI at the London head office about a month back now. Seems others on here are still waiting too. No updates showing yet on my application so hopefully still doing background work as you said.
Yeah, the campaign to be fair did mention 24/25 so we could be in for a wait. I believe only Shunters have so far heard and had a start date given around April time.

Zain K

Yeah, the campaign to be fair did mention 24/25 so we could be in for a wait. I believe only Shunters have so far heard and had a start date given around April time.
Thanks Sam, happy to hear back from you and be on this forum :D. Probably did not get the shunter then but let's wait and see for the street to seat train operate job.

Just curious if I should contact the admin lady who messaged me about the assessment dates and interview and ask about an update on the applications

Samzino

Thanks Sam, happy to hear back from you and be on this forum :D. Probably did not get the shunter then but let's wait and see for the street to seat train operate job.

Just curious if I should contact the admin lady who messaged me about the assessment dates and interview and ask about an update on the applications
No harm in sending an Email. Also to be honest unless the specific role says end of process or similar to that, one can assume they're still in the running.

Samzino

It's interesting how C2C has run the last parts of this campaign. Pretty good communication in the early stages up to the DMI then basically naught for most candidates which is pretty poor as they'd have only a handful of candidates from the initial applicants to deal with.

A simple generic email on letting candidates who are still under consideration know how roughly the process is going, and an email for those who've failed the DMI isn't much to ask for.

Find it interesting they'd pay for candidates to sit assessments that pass their standard to then leave some of them in the lurch. Whilst they're not the only TOC to do this it does seem C2C are pretty consistent with poor general communication as evident with other campaigns.

I'd hope of course I'm somewhat wrong but it's quite poor even if it's the railway norm in recruitment(which other companies to be fair tell you your fate mostly), once you've had the DMI stage.

Shrimper_95

I’ve been offered a job for the shunter role but since then my emails have been ignored and I’m at the stage of having to consider whether to withdraw my notice at my current job due to the fact I have still yet to receive a contract for a job I’m supposed be starting in less than three weeks!

Zain K

I’ve been offered a job for the shunter role but since then my emails have been ignored and I’m at the stage of having to consider whether to withdraw my notice at my current job due to the fact I have still yet to receive a contract for a job I’m supposed be starting in less than three weeks!
I'd let your in charge know about the likely job offer so when you get the contract they'll know about your notice. Noticed you went on the 12th of Feb like myself for the interview. Went for 1:30pm.

I'm hoping they just have their hands tied and busy with stuff hence why they have not gotten back to us and other people yet including job offers.

Last edited:

Samzino

I believe you've done the medical right? Might be a case of them indeed being backlogged however it isn't very good if you're being left to wonder with that much time left before the start date.

Have you since been down to the C2C HQ to sign any forms or have you been given details for staff onboarding, etc. What does your c2c careers portal profile page say?

Samzino

With an offer given they're still unable to communicate effectively with you??? That's pretty poor, at least they're consistent, communication wise to be fair.

As Zain says, maybe a prompt to your current manager may be in due as forewarning for the notice. But I'd not be handing anything in till you see an actual contract as its not unheard of for an offer to be withdrawn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
I believe you've done the medical right? Might be a case of them indeed being backlogged however it isn't very good if you're being left to wonder with that much time left before the start date.

Have you since been down to the C2C HQ to sign any forms or have you been given details for staff onboarding, etc. What does your c2c careers portal profile page say?
With an offer given they're still unable to communicate effectively with you??? That's pretty poor, at least they're consistent, communication wise to be fair.

As Zain says, maybe a prompt to your current manager may be in due as forewarning for the notice. But I'd not be handing anything in till you see an actual contract as its not unheard of for an offer to be withdrawn.
Nothings changed then :lol:

When I joined the whole process took about 6 months for me but others in my training group had been in the process for two years. Due to their lack of communication I could only give my former employer ten days notice.

5 years later when I left they took months to provide a reference and then got upset when I couldn't give the required notice because of their slow communication. I don't think I actually know any driver who has left for another TOC who gave them the correct notice for the same reason!

Samzino

When I joined the whole process took about 6 months for me but others in my training group had been in the process for two years. Due to their lack of communication I could only give my former employer ten days notice.

5 years later when I left they took months to provide a reference and then got upset when I couldn't give the required notice because of their slow communication. I don't think I actually know any driver who has left for another TOC who gave them the correct notice for the same reason!
Wow, really hope they do give us some notice as my employer wants definitely more than 10 days haha.

6 months is a while indeed. Makes my wait microscopic. Its at least a good thing that I can wait and give them time if it's the case of waiting for the process to be sorted.

Zain K

Was 6 months the time of doing the assessments and being told about the job offer or wait after the DMI?

Gives me some hope :o. Can't be negative to C2C as we don't know what is happening in the background. Just keep praying on my current part.

Established Member
Was 6 months the time of doing the assessments and being told about the job offer or wait after the DMI?

Gives me some hope :o. Can't be negative to C2C as we don't know what is happening in the background. Just keep praying on my current part.
From application to start date! However others starting the same time as me had applied two years prior. There seems to be no logic behind the process.

Zain K

From application to start date! However others starting the same time as me had applied two years prior. There seems to be no logic behind the process.
Ah okay. So putting that scenario here it may be April to May start date but never know. Fingers crossed its just backlog if stuff and procedures waiting to be finalised

BigG796

im sure in my interview they said they was looking at a may start date for the mainline course, but who knows things always change.

miki9

Anyone else's online application portal been updated? For my husband, under "Current stage", it's been updated to Rejected, after having got through all the tests and DMI. Had no other communication from c2c :(
Could this be for real or an error due to it taking so long? Don't want to lose hope!

Samzino

im sure in my interview they said they was looking at a may start date for the mainline course, but who knows things always change.
I heard May too. I do believe that HR could be quite busy with preparation for Shunters, leavers and etc. Shunters are basically starting in the next two weeks, onboarding for them and the necessary preparation must be a lot. So I believe we could start hearing some information after the Shunters start.

Last edited:

Samzino

Anyone else's online application portal been updated? For my husband, under "Current stage", it's been updated to Rejected, after having got through all the tests and DMI. Had no other communication from c2c :(
Could this be for real or an error due to it taking so long? Don't want to lose hope!
It would be correct that it's updated to Rejected. This was similar to those who received "Rejected After Shortlist" which was the stage prior to Assessments.

If you're prior stage was "First Interview" or similar then it won't be an error.

It's a hard knockback especially without an email to initially break the news. Hopefully your Husband however has applied or continues to apply to other opportunities as the hardest part in the Assessments are done.

Can add that information to future apps and baring a few additional tests depending on the Enhanced Toc he'd be sitting the DMI straight away after passing the initial sifts. Goes without saying that if the TOC is National standard like C2C, GWR and SWR etc then in most cases again its straight to DMI after their sifts.

Last edited by a moderator:

miki9

It would be correct that it's updated to Rejected. This was similar to those who received "Rejected After Shortlist" which was the stage prior to Assessments.

If you're prior stage was "First Interview" or similar then it won't be an error.

It's a hard knockback especially without an email to initially break the news. Hopefully your Husband however has applied or continues to apply to other opportunities as the hardest part in the Assessments are done.

Can add that information to future apps and baring a few additional tests depending on the Enhanced Toc he'd be sitting the DMI straight away after passing the initial sifts. Goes without saying that if the TOC is National standard like C2C, GWR and SWR etc then in most cases again its straight to DMI after their sifts.

Thank you, it is a real kick in the teeth, but yeah, the bright side is that he's done the worst part now! Poor showing from c2c though with no email to let him know. He even emailed them last week asking for an update but had nothing back.

Samzino

Thank you, it is a real kick in the teeth, but yeah, the bright side is that he's done the worst part now! Poor showing from c2c though with no email to let him know. He even emailed them last week asking for an update but had nothing back.
The communication is a reoccurring theme it seems in this fourm but on the flip side(not that it's the outcome wanted) you both can relax a bit now and focus on the next Company for opportunity.

Learning what may have gone wrong in the DMI and then hopefully smashing the next one. Good Luck!

Samzino

Hard one to hear indeed.