• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

sd0733

Established Member
I'd imagine something will be done on it at the CAF shed on Newton Heath? Other than that, I've no idea!
Seems likely, looking at its allocation history there seems to be something wrong with it. It seems to have terminated at Hereford on 9th Nov, ran ecs Hereford to Shrewsbury on 11th Nov before carrying on to Chester on the 14th Nov and hasn't moved since.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
There was a very similar path in earlier which got cancelled but was shown as allocated 197012 so presume its that one which has gone this afternoon. Currently showing as Crewe South Yard having come from Chester so seems a Likely candidate.

Can't help on the why
Interesting, thanks.

Lurcheroo

There was a very similar path in earlier which got cancelled but was shown as allocated 197012 so presume its that one which has gone this afternoon. Currently showing as Crewe South Yard having come from Chester so seems a Likely candidate.

Can't help on the why
I know one unit had a catastrophic power pack failure after a driver did a power pack reset on the move. Could it be that one ?

Jez

Established Member
Honestly it just gets more disgusting by the day.

Four TfW with ticket machines slung on their shoulder waiting on the platform for the 12:49 197/1B operated service to Manchester. I ask them if I have the right platform for Manchester and if they know which end the standard premium end will be. The one nearest to me, who was originally with her back to me, turned round and said “have you got a standard premium ticket?”

I said, “No, but you’re not selling them yet, right? I was more interested in looking-“

She cut me off and said “Then it doesn’t matter which end, does it.” Turned her back to me again and struck up a new conversation with her colleagues. Part of me wondered if she’d been trying to be funny, but it didn’t come across that way, her face was deadpan serious! The guard (who’d been on the platform with her) came through to check my ticket and did apologise profusely when I told him I wasn’t thrilled.

-

Anyway. 197115’s Standard Premium area is lovely and could very well be simply “First Class” were it equipped with the necessary accessible toilets this end of the train, the lamps are absolutely perfect.

Much as I love leather furnishings the headrest pushes my head forward a bit much and I think it’s a shame they didn’t cover the whole seat in leather and then lose the headrest, which would certainly make it a similar style to the MK4 offering. The firm, generous wings of the seat will be amazing for when I need to take early morning trips, and what with there being seats both sides of the door there is plenty of space.

Not a jot of signage yet so I sincerely hope no one has been asked to move before.
Thanks for the write up and photos. if all goes to plan I will be on it later on this evening during its return working to Swansea! It will be my first journey of 2024.

Im sorry to hear about your experience at Cardiff Central before boarding the train although this doesnt surprise me.

GWVillager

Honestly it just gets more disgusting by the day.

Four TfW with ticket machines slung on their shoulder waiting on the platform for the 12:49 197/1B operated service to Manchester. I ask them if I have the right platform for Manchester and if they know which end the standard premium end will be. The one nearest to me, who was originally with her back to me, turned round and said “have you got a standard premium ticket?”

I said, “No, but you’re not selling them yet, right? I was more interested in looking-“

She cut me off and said “Then it doesn’t matter which end, does it.” Turned her back to me again and struck up a new conversation with her colleagues. Part of me wondered if she’d been trying to be funny, but it didn’t come across that way, her face was deadpan serious! The guard (who’d been on the platform with her) came through to check my ticket and did apologise profusely when I told him I wasn’t thrilled.

-

Anyway. 197115’s Standard Premium area is lovely and could very well be simply “First Class” were it equipped with the necessary accessible toilets this end of the train, the lamps are absolutely perfect.

Much as I love leather furnishings the headrest pushes my head forward a bit much and I think it’s a shame they didn’t cover the whole seat in leather and then lose the headrest, which would certainly make it a similar style to the MK4 offering. The firm, generous wings of the seat will be amazing for when I need to take early morning trips, and what with there being seats both sides of the door there is plenty of space.

Not a jot of signage yet so I sincerely hope no one has been asked to move before.
Seemingly you figured out how to turn the lamp on? I wasn't able to sit by the window (the train was nearly full) and couldn't see how it was done.

Jez

Established Member
I managed to get 197115 this evening between Port Talbot and Swansea. Love the standard plus area. I will definately make use of this on longer journeys if the upgrade cost is reasonable.

Lurcheroo

I managed to get 197115 this evening between Port Talbot and Swansea. Love the standard plus area. I will definately make use of this on longer journeys if the upgrade cost is reasonable.
Sounds like Swansea to Manchester is just an extra £13

BenBracken

I’ve been keeping half an eye on the first few weeks of Milford - Manchester services on RTT. Majority are 197s, but there have been a few 150s scheduled as well sadly. There was a 158 on yesterday, which is a better compromise. There have been a few cancellations due to flooding, although according to RTT those services were running but TfW said not! There was one service that was terminated at Haverfordwest and cancelled to Milford, due to ‘too many trains needing repairs’. Not sure how saving 45 mins off the return leg would really solve something like that?! Only time I’ve spotted a 197 in Fishguard had been on a Sunday, guessing there’s less demand for them then.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Anyone know why a 197/0 went to Newton Heath yesterday please?

Its talked about in the middle of the previous page of posts.

EDIT
Found it, start at post number 5,577.

Bob Price

Watching the Crewe webcam and a three car197, possibly 109, is on a Swansea to Manchester service. Along with the MK4 sets out today, things may be improving on the Marches at last.

sd0733

Established Member
Watching the Crewe webcam and a three car197, possibly 109, is on a Swansea to Manchester service. Along with the MK4 sets out today, things may be improving on the Marches at last.
Quite a few 3 cars on the Marches now alongside the Mk4s and a few 2 car 197s. The only 15xs up to Manchester today are a couple of 158s, no 150s or 153s showing at all so improvements are certainly happening.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Common to see four or five three car sets on the Marches now.

sd0733

Established Member
Common to see four or five three car sets on the Marches now.
Over the next few weeks 3s should become the norm on South Wales-Manchesters.
The current mid-term plan is that 3 cars are concentrated on Manchester to South Wales and 2x2 car on North Wales- Manchester/South Wales. With the current restrictions that's seen to temporarily be the best use of capacity in Spring/Early summer but there's time to change yet!

Will 120 be the only 197 that gets the grey? It looks great.
Believe so. It looks good externally but there's been a lot of comments internally and from others about it extended across the windows.

Think it might be 115
There's a few going through Crewe today. Looks like at least 197101/108/109/112/115 are out on the Marches.

Jez

Established Member
Sounds like Swansea to Manchester is just an extra £13
Thats excellent.

TfW have said ‘this summer’
I believe the original plan was May 2024 for Pembroke Dock but that may well have been delayed since those plans were announced.

Over the next few weeks 3s should become the norm on South Wales-Manchesters.
The current mid-term plan is that 3 cars are concentrated on Manchester to South Wales and 2x2 car on North Wales- Manchester/South Wales. With the current restrictions that's seen to temporarily be the best use of capacity in Spring/Early summer but there's time to change yet!
Thats really good news. Ive noticed on RTT that quite a few 3 cars today.

BenBracken

Does anyone have an idea on how regularly new 197s are being manufactured and signed off for use? Just wondering what sort of timescale we are looking at to get shot of 15x units covering 197 diagrams.

sd0733

Established Member
Does anyone have an idea on how regularly new 197s are being manufactured and signed off for use? Just wondering what sort of timescale we are looking at to get shot of 15x units covering 197 diagrams.
It's not really the manufacturing that dictates it but the Acceptance. Sets seem to be building up at Crewe as they're being delivered but very slow coming out the Acceptance process. A few have begun the process but then ended up back in the workshop for whatever reason slowing it down.

The plan I believe was that a 2 car took a week now it's mostly 3 cars around a week and a half for those but that's slowed right down recently.

15x covering are already getting rarer, today it's a little higher as there's 3 197 diagrams subbed for 15x covered by each of a 150, 158 and pair of 153s, along with a 150 on a Mk4 diagram but those days are all being well numbered really considering some days a few weeks ago there was a constant precession of 150s up the Marches.

Markdvdman

I see my train the 3:06pm (from Bridgend - Llanelli) is a 2 car 150 again! Started 6 mins late from Manchester. Only twice I have been on a 197 - gutted but more gutted as it will undoubtedly be horrendously late again!

Anonymous10

Established Member
I see my train the 3:06pm (from Bridgend - Llanelli) is a 2 car 150 again! Started 6 mins late from Manchester. Only twice I have been on a 197 - gutted but more gutted as it will undoubtedly be horrendously late again!
I have used a 197 3 times in two recent trips, it's worth remembering this is more of a fluke now.