• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

BenBracken

There's not any 150s to Manchester today showing anyway. Everything right through to the 21:30 is showing as either a Mk4 or 197. There is a pair of 153s on that but they started at Canton this morning after a 197 failed on depot so a unit in Crewe/Chester that went onto the Bidston wouldn't have been able to cover that anyway.
It does seem to be settling down now to a fairly regular 197 operation. Haven’t seen any 15x on Milford services for a few days now and the last train to Fishguard has been a 197 regularly this week. Are we turning a corner now? Are new units coming on stream or just returning from the wheel turners?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lurcheroo

It does seem to be settling down now to a fairly regular 197 operation. Haven’t seen any 15x on Milford services for a few days now and the last train to Fishguard has been a 197 regularly this week. Are we turning a corner now? Are new units coming on stream or just returning from the wheel turners?
More have been coming into service (I don’t know how many) but also more of the sets with damage have been returning to service as well.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Spoke too soon, the 0730 and 1030 off Manchester are both single 150s.

Nothing on Journey Check to say that the 10:30 is 2 coaches instead of 4 though? Or will it be a pair of 150s? 4 different types of coach won't feature on JC - it's only interested in the number of carriages, not the type or length thereof.

sd0733

Established Member
Nothing on Journey Check to say that the 10:30 is 2 coaches instead of 4 though? Or will it be a pair of 150s? 4 different types of coach won't feature on JC - it's only interested in the number of carriages, not the type or length thereof.
Both the 0730 and 1030 are 2 car 197 diagrams so it's 2 car v 2 car.
The 1130 is officially shortfomed as that's 2 car instead of booked 3.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Both the 0730 and 1030 are 2 car 197 diagrams so it's 2 car v 2 car.
The 1130 is officially shortfomed as that's 2 car instead of booked 3.

Even hours from Manchester Piccadilly are all booked Mk4 since December I believe, apart from the 22:30 to Crewe. Some odd hours are too, but the others are 197s.

sd0733

Established Member
Even hours from Manchester Piccadilly are all booked Mk4 since December I believe, apart from the 22:30 to Crewe. Some odd hours are too, but the others are 197s.
The 10:30 and 18:30 from Manchester are part of CH120 diagram which is a 2 car 197. The Mk4 diagrams are CF901-904.

The base long term diagrams are Mk4 but they'll be Short Term Planning diagrams until further notice until all 7 sets are in service then effectively CH120 will be replaced by CF905 and it'll go over to Mk4s

Last edited:

Caaardiff

The 10:30 and 18:30 from Manchester are part of CH120 diagram which is a 2 car 197. The Mk4 diagrams are CF901-904.

The base long term diagrams are Mk4 but they'll be Short Term Planning diagrams until further notice until all 7 sets are in service then effectively CH120 will be replaced by CF905 and it'll go over to Mk4s
But will all 7 actually ever make it into service? And will they be reliable enough to provide 5 diagrams consistently?

sd0733

Established Member
But will all 7 actually ever make it into service? And will they be reliable enough to provide 5 diagrams consistently?
Yes there'll be 7 sets without a doubt. The in service sets are just taking priority over HD03 to keep as many in service as possible, 2 sets can't be done at the same time.

Second question, I'd like to think so. Lots of things to hopefully improve availability but time will tell on that one.

DannyMich2018

We can only hope or it'll be short formed 197s to cover....
197s are operating all 3 diagrams on the Borderlands today presumably due to no 230s been available so potentially one less available for mainline services. Mk4s surely can't be as unreliable as the 230s?

Anonymous10

Established Member
197s are operating all 3 diagrams on the Borderlands today presumably due to no 230s been available so potentially one less available for mainline services. Mk4s surely can't be as unreliable as the 230s?
They're not as unreliable but to cover a mk4 would for same coach number require 2 units and even 1 unit would likely require short forming at least occasionally

CHAPS2034

Anyone got any idea of the plans for 197s operating into Birmingham?

I believe there was a pair at New Street today

but they were on their way to Tyseley, presumably for some spannering?

From December 24, shockingly enough.

Why shockingly?

sd0733

Established Member
I believe there was a pair at New Street today

but they were on their way to Tyseley, presumably for some spannering?
Showing as 197010 and 197044. 044 has been out of service quite a while at Chester so could well be for some form of maintenance but can't be sure what or why!

Liam L

Showing as 197010 and 197044. 044 has been out of service quite a while at Chester so could well be for some form of maintenance but can't be sure what or why!
My only guess could be the wheel lathe at Tyseley as stock does visit Tyseley every now and then for it. Apart from that I've got no other guesses

sd0733

Established Member
My only guess could be the wheel lathe at Tyseley as stock does visit Tyseley every now and then for it. Apart from that I've got no other guesses
Could well be seeing as one also went to Newton Heath for tyre turning last week.

Topological

It's a poor long wait. I don't doubt there's reasons, likely to do with the ETCS/ERMTS signalling, but it's still poor for customers waiting.
This creates visions of passengers genuinley standing at New Street waiting for the 197

At least they have 158s if they get bored of the wait.

Imagine still having 150s turn up...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This creates visions of passengers genuinley standing at New Street waiting for the 197

At least they have 158s if they get bored of the wait.

I was unlucky enough to indeed be wedged next to the toilets on a single 150 from Birmingham to Shrewsbury last friday, and then stranded there for two hours at around 11pm due to Cardiff cancellations.

Jez

Established Member
It's a poor long wait. I don't doubt there's reasons, likely to do with the ETCS/ERMTS signalling, but it's still poor for customers waiting.
At least they have 158s on that route most of the time which are acceptable for a regional express type service unlike the 150s and 153s that were on the Manchester to Carmarthen/Milfords for many months.

Lurcheroo

but it's still poor for customers waiting.
As more of the fleet is brought over to 197’s it will continue to free up 158’s meaning 4 and 6 car 158’s will become more the normal again between Shrewsbury and Birmingham so customers waiting for an improved service will be pleased.

If your on about customers waiting specifically for 197’s on that route then there are not many of them. Really only is enthusiasts.

You can still find 150’s on the Birmingham’s, pretty much daily, just hope it’s a 4 car and not a 2 !!

L401CJF

Established Member
To be fair though, with the Cambrian at least the punters only have to put up with 158s - which are pretty nice units although granted are showing their age a bit in places. At least its not a line ran by 150s or 153s they have to endure. The biggest complaint along the Shrewsbury-Birmingham section is short formations rather than the type of stock used.

childwallblues

Established Member
To be fair though, with the Cambrian at least the punters only have to put up with 158s - which are pretty nice units although granted are showing their age a bit in places. At least its not a line ran by 150s or 153s they have to endure. The biggest complaint along the Shrewsbury-Birmingham section is short formations rather than the type of stock used.
At least there is the WMT Shrewsbury-Birmingham NS 196 operated service to fall back on.