• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Anonymous10

Established Member
TfW has announced that a number of trains will be minimum 4 coaches when Euros football is on

Are any of these 197s (as used in photo) ?

I'd assume the additional capacity for west Wales comes in the shape of 3 coach trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lurcheroo

TfW has announced that a number of trains will be minimum 4 coaches when Euros football is on

Are any of these 197s (as used in photo) ?

It’s probably much too far in advance to say what we will be working the services yet.
I had wondered if they would use MK4’s but I’m not sure that they will. I would expect the services to and from the north will be 197’s if not MK4’s.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I appreciate that the 197 seats are not perfect, but I really think people forget how close we were to getting the IET seats. It was certainly worth the extra £2m for the seats we have.
The "£2m" will just be a few bob on the monthly leasing cost.
The £2m will have been paid up front by the Rosco (with approval from TfW).

Lurcheroo

Yes quite probably, which makes it even worse when IET’s couldn’t have better seats for the work they’re doing.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There are 9224 standard class seats on the 197 fleet and it was stated that it was £1.9million for the upgrade.
Making it £191 per seat.
I don't think you can read that much into it. Presumably the change from Fainsa Comrail ('ironing boards') to Fainsa Sophia was a contract variation (I seem to recall a quote along the lines of variation orders "turning a net loss into a gross profit"). Had the Sophias been specified initially the actual price difference between the two seats may well have been quite a bit less than £191 per seat.

Good point. Would there also have been a whole stack of variation orders (between TfW and KeliosAmey, between KeliosAmey and the ROSCO, between the ROSCO and CAF and between CAF and Fainsa), with each firm building in their own markup (profit margin)? Might have almost been cheaper to have them delivered with Comrails and change the seats after delivery - after all Network South East sent their 158s for mods (to become 159s) on delivery rather than putting in a variation to have them delivered to the full 159 spec.

Last edited:

Jez

Established Member
Does anyone know which departures from Maesteg are booked 197 on a Saturday please?

BillStampy

Does anyone know which departures from Maesteg are booked 197 on a Saturday please?
197116 seems to be on the early Cheltenham start as its swapping in for 197045 so it can go to Chester as it stays at Gloucester overnight, I can't know about the others at current but if you to plan one that might be a high chance.

Got a 3 car (with standard plus) 197 from Swansea to Cardiff yesterday, it was bound for Manchester and then everyone was turfed off at Cardiff. Looked like onto a 150 on platform 1, I didn't envy them. The 197s are pretty comfortable, it's just a shame about the horrendous lighting.

wls1

197122 entered service today? Currently allocated on 1D36 Man Air - Llandudno along with 197112. Is this accurate or has the allocation been changed by TFW?

MP393

197122 entered service today? Currently allocated on 1D36 Man Air - Llandudno along with 197112. Is this accurate or has the allocation been changed by TFW?

Internally on systems it’s showing as 197122 solo, rather than a 6 car with 112. Could well be a typo though, it’s not unheard of, I’ve seen 231s allocated to Bidston’s instead of 230s in the past because of a misplaced finger!

sd0733

Established Member
Heart of Wales line has engineering work this weekend, there's some work taking place particularly around Llanbister Road which will gauge clear it for 197s which will allow some proving runs to take place in the not too distant future.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Heart of Wales line has engineering work this weekend, there's some work taking place particularly around Llanbister Road which will gauge clear it for 197s which will allow some proving runs to take place in the not too distant future.
Interesting, I assume for emergency stock moves?

sd0733

Established Member
Interesting, I assume for emergency stock moves?
Believe so. As far as im aware there won't be an ASDO database for heart of Wales so it will be stock moves only. Clearing them would open up possibilities in the future though.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Believe so. As far as im aware there won't be an ASDO database for heart of Wales so it will be stock moves only. Clearing them would open up possibilities in the future though.
It would. I also found the documents previously linked in another thread interesting where it discusses mk4s and increasing that fleet. Maybe would allow 197s to work the HOWL oneday.

Jez

Established Member
197116 seems to be on the early Cheltenham start as its swapping in for 197045 so it can go to Chester as it stays at Gloucester overnight, I can't know about the others at current but if you to plan one that might be a high chance.
Thanks. I managed a ride up to Maesteg from Bridgend on 197019. My first 197 on this line. I went up and back on the same train as nothing much in Maesteg!

I have noticed quite a few were 197s today including the 3 car you mentioned.

the second new one in the last week or so. Are they starting to get back to introducing them more frequently now? Cant be many of the 3 cars left to go into service.

Thanks for the update. I imagine at some point in the future they will be cleared for passengers so they can occasionally cover for the 153s. Much like the 175s which the amount of time i heard of them running a service on the HOWL didnt go into double digits in 18 years.

Last edited:

Caaardiff

the second new one in the last week or so. Are they starting to get back to introducing them more frequently now? Cant be many of the 3 cars left to go into service.
There's 15 in service and 26 due in total. So still plenty to arrive which will make a huge difference.

Jez

Established Member
There's 15 in service and 26 due in total. So still plenty to arrive which will make a huge difference.
More are most definately needed. I was on a 2 car to Bridgend today (11xx to Manchester) and it was very overcrowded. Could barely get to the doors to get off. Lots of tutting and rolling eyes from passengers for a 2 car 197 on such a busy time on a Saturday.

BillStampy

Thanks. I managed a ride up to Maesteg from Bridgend on 197019. My first 197 on this line. I went up and back on the same train as nothing much in Maesteg!

I have noticed quite a few were 197s today including the 3 car you mentioned.
Good to hear! Probably less tomorrow due to Ebbw Vale being a part of the situation, still not cleared there just yet! I was on 197118 between Severn Tunnel and Llanharan a week or two ago, what a smooth ride it was. Hoping for the better!

Established Member
On realtime trains. To Manchester, right now...

"Cardiff Central [CDF]
Pathed as Diesel locomotive, trailing load 245 tonnes at 110mph"

Oh goodie! And this locomotive iiiiiisssss...

Oh deary

Anonymous10

Established Member
On realtime trains. To Manchester, right now...

"Cardiff Central [CDF]
Pathed as Diesel locomotive, trailing load 245 tonnes at 110mph"

Oh goodie! And this locomotive iiiiiisssss...

Oh deary
Paths will not always guarantee a loco. Given the small fleet unit subs are more likely.

BenBracken

The Carmarthen to Pembroke Dock line is closed for 10 days next week for engineering works. Would that be to prepare anything for 197 running? Or can they use the line as is?

Caaardiff

The Carmarthen to Pembroke Dock line is closed for 10 days next week for engineering works. Would that be to prepare anything for 197 running? Or can they use the line as is?
Most other types can use the line - 158s, 175s, HSTs, IETs, so I'd imagine that minimal works are required for 197s. Not sure if any testing has actually been done yet so until that's done they won't know anyway.

BenBracken

Most other types can use the line - 158s, 175s, HSTs, IETs, so I'd imagine that minimal works are required for 197s. Not sure if any testing has actually been done yet so until that's done they won't know anyway.
TfW said ‘the summer’ for introduction onto PD branch. So that would suggest when the summer timetable comes in, which is about 12 weeks away. So surely they are going to do some proving runs pretty soon?

Caaardiff

197s will be cleared before the June timetable change. Clearances shouldn't pose a huge issue because of all thenother types that use the branch. The main task is setting up ASDO.