• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Drsatan

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been discussed earlier in the thread but will these units be doubled up on Manchester to West Wales services? Three cars won't be enough on most services.

Is there an option for TfW to order additional centre cars if necessary?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wobman

On Moderation
Apologies if this has already been discussed earlier in the thread but will these units be doubled up on Manchester to West Wales services? Three cars won't be enough on most services.

The S Wales to Manchester 197 services will be doubled up, so they are planned as 5 car sets with the 3 car having 1st class.

Tfw have not announced about ordering additional centre cars as yet, but it would certainly make sense with the caf plant in Newport having no future work after the tfw fleet is built & tfw will need longer units in the future.

tomuk

Established Member

They will run in five (2+3) car sets and share the Manchester to Cardiff services with the 7? extra Mk4 loco hauled sets. Exactly what happens west of Cardiff isn't confirmed. When it was going to be 197s exclusively it was going to be five cars Manchester to Swansea with the two car gong forward into West Wales.

Drsatan

Established Member
They will run in five (2+3) car sets and share the Manchester to Cardiff services with the 7? extra Mk4 loco hauled sets. Exactly what happens west of Cardiff isn't confirmed. When it was going to be 197s exclusively it was going to be five cars Manchester to Swansea with the two car gong forward into West Wales.
Two cars won't be enough during bank holidays and in the summer.

craigybagel

Established Member
Standard looks very cramped. 4 windows, 9 rows...
It's not as bad as it looks on paper. I've set in the standard seats and the legroom is decent - as good as if not better than the current fleet.
Two cars aren't likely to be appearing my themselves anywhere that's likely to be busy.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
It's not as bad as it looks on paper. I've set in the standard seats and the legroom is decent - as good as if not better than the current fleet.

Two cars aren't likely to be appearing my themselves anywhere that's likely to be busy.
Can we hold you to that Craigy !!!!
I notice the Rhymney line now seems pretty solid two car trains except for the four car flex units. Was never that poor when those wretched four wheel things were around !!!

craigybagel

Established Member
Can we hold you to that Craigy !!!!
I notice the Rhymney line now seems pretty solid two car trains except for the four car flex units. Was never that poor when those wretched four wheel things were around !!!
You only need to look at the numbers being ordered for reassurance. As has been pointed out many times, the overall size of the fleet is increasing massively.

The Valleys have had to struggle as naturally the lack of a reliable replacement in capacity for the departed Pacers has affected those routes more than others.

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
Surely, they might just as well order a few more 197’s and get shot of the 153’s that they plan to use on the Heart of Wales & Crewe to Shrewsbury stoppers.

Just walked past a 197 on P8 at Crewe. Looks great but overall impact lessened by the dead fly carnage on the front!

craigybagel

Established Member
Surely, they might just as well order a few more 197’s and get shot of the 153’s that they plan to use on the Heart of Wales & Crewe to Shrewsbury stoppers.
That would cost a lot more, on a route that's not exactly renowned for it's profitability. I agree that if a new fleet was required for the route it would be easiest just to get extra 197s, but given all the crews already work 153s, and the maintenance staff are already familiar, in this case the status quo seems to work out ok.

Envoy

Established Member
That would cost a lot more, on a route that's not exactly renowned for it's profitability. I agree that if a new fleet was required for the route it would be easiest just to get extra 197s, but given all the crews already work 153s, and the maintenance staff are already familiar, in this case the status quo seems to work out ok.
I was thinking that relatively few 2 car units would be needed (compared to total fleet size) to get rid of the old 153’s. The Heart of Wales might attract more leisure traffic if it had modern air conditioned trains.

GWVillager

Standard looks very cramped. 4 windows, 9 rows...
1651851061044.jpegI took this picture, from what I could see it seemed reasonably spacious and light. Even if the layout might be a bit cramped, the ambience and body shape should help. I don't like how small those windows are though, and the lack of tables concerns me, I don't think TOCs fully realise how crucial they are in attracting families and groups onto trains.

Anonymous10

Established Member
there's 197 3 car stop markers on Pembroke dock branch so 3 cars might be on the lines west

Jez

Established Member
It does seem odd they are keeping a small fleet of 153s when getting rid of everything else. Its nice in one way that one of the ancient fleets is being kept. Id sooner some 175s were kept for HOW and to deputise on other routes that 197s will run but wont go into that. The 175s are going.

How many extra standard class seats will be on a 5 car 197 formation compared to the current 3 car 175s that form most of the Manchester to West Wales? It used to be 2 cars that would struggle but recently ive seen quite a few 3 car 175s full and standing room only. An increase is desperately needed. The sooner the better.

I was thinking that relatively few 2 car units would be needed (compared to total fleet size) to get rid of the old 153’s. The Heart of Wales might attract more leisure traffic if it had modern air conditioned trains.
The HOW has 3 diagrams but that includes some work from Crewe-Shrewsbury and before Covid some Swansea-Cardiff work to get the sets back to Canton. You could probably cover this with an additional 3 197s (2 cars each)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
GWVillager beat me to it (further seating layouts at https://tfw.wales/info-for/passengers/accessible-travel/train-accessibility), but in addition, here's a link to an archived document from the original franchise award that listed specifications of some of the planned fleet (including new stock, and refurbishment to existing units):

The document lists details for 2-car, 3-car pre-First fittment, and post-First fittment. The balance is removing 28 standard seats to provide 16 first class.
Why do those 'accessibility' seat plans contain so much less information than the detailed layout diagram for the 197s? Admittedly there is a lot of clutter on the latter that is unhelpful for passengers, but the position of window pillars and to-scale seat spacing (so you can get an idea of legroom) would be useful when booking seats. Although I note that TfW seem to have gone the opposite direction to LNER during COVID and stopped offering seat reservations altogether, they aren't the only operator to provide seat plans that are lacking useful information.

Even if the layout might be a bit cramped, the ambience and body shape should help. I don't like how small those windows are though, and the lack of tables concerns me, I don't think TOCs fully realise how crucial they are in attracting families and groups onto trains.
What ambience? As far as I can tell from the detailed seat plan (see link above), even first class does not have segregated vestibules (there appears to be a partion door between first and standard, but not between the first class saloons and the doorway). One of the bays in 1st is partially blocked by a window pillar too.

Seat pitch (spacing) on a 197 in airline seating is given on the diagram as 820mm. That is better than a 158 but less than a 175 (84cm by my tape measure) and even TfW have admitted that legroom is not quite as good as a 175.

2-car units are expected to remain the norm on the Cambrian lines west of Machynlleth. These can be quite busy particularly in summer. Admittedly the suituation may have changed now that more mark 4 sets are coming, but it also seemed likely that Milford Haven - Swansea would be reduced from the current mix of 2 and 3 coach 175s to 2-car on every single service (I think somebody said that the number of 197s fitted with first class would not be sufficient to both provide first class on all Holyhead-Cardiff services and allow the 3-car portion of the Manchesters to continue to Milford Haven).

You only need to look at the numbers being ordered for reassurance. As has been pointed out many times, the overall size of the fleet is increasing massively.
There are also increased demands on the fleet though, in the form of the additonal Liverpool services (extension of Manchester Airport workings to Bangor might also require an extra diagram, as might filling in the last few gaps to go hourly to Aberystwyth?). Together with doubling up the Manchester-Swansea those extra services accounted for most of the 26 additonal units and, when you consider that there are three south Wales class 158 diagrams, the number of ETCS fitted units ordered (21) is no different to the current number of units available for the Cambrian.

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
there's 197 3 car stop markers on Pembroke dock branch so 3 cars might be on the lines west
I think that is a case of logic triumphing. If the five car arrives at Swansea or Carmarthen for the split, it might be 3+2 or 2+3 so being able to run the 3 car to Pembroke dock, instead of shunting the units around would be beneficial.

craigybagel

Established Member
Seat pitch (spacing) on a 197 in airline seating is given on the diagram as 820mm. That is better than a 158 but less than a 175 (84cm by my tape measure) and even TfW have admitted that legroom is not quite as good as a 175.
I'm very tall. If 197 legroom is acceptable for me (and it is) it's really not something people need to worry about.
2-car units are expected to remain the norm on the Cambrian lines west of Machynlleth. These can be quite busy particularly in summer. Admittedly the suituation may have changed now that more mark 4 sets are coming, but it also seemed likely that Milford Haven - Swansea would be reduced from the current mix of 2 and 3 coach 175s to 2-car on every single service (I think somebody said that the number of 197s fitted with first class would not be sufficient to both provide first class on all Holyhead-Cardiff services and allow the 3-car portion of the Manchesters to continue to Milford Haven).

There are also increased demands on the fleet though, in the form of the additonal Liverpool services (extension of Manchester Airport workings to Bangor might also require an extra diagram, as might filling in the last few gaps to go hourly to Aberystwyth?). Together with doubling up the Manchester-Swansea those extra services accounted for most of the 26 additonal units and, when you consider that there are three south Wales class 158 diagrams, the number of ETCS fitted units ordered (21) is no different to the current number of units available for the Cambrian.
Don't make any assumptions about the Cambrian just yet. In real terms there should be more units available for the Cambrian than is the case now. Also, supposing TfW have somehow got their sums wrong (which I don't personally believe, but I'll humour it just in case) then adding ETCS to some of the non-fitted 197s is a much, much simpler task than it was with the 158s.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Don't make any assumptions about the Cambrian just yet. In real terms there should be more units available for the Cambrian than is the case now. Also, supposing TfW have somehow got their sums wrong (which I don't personally believe, but I'll humour it just in case) then adding ETCS to some of the non-fitted 197s is a much, much simpler task than it was with the 158s.
Effectively it's the same number of units as the 158s (given that three 158s are used where ETCS is not required) and they seem to have just about enough 158s to cover the diagrams so in terms of number of units they might well have their sums right. It is number of seats, toilets, table bays (particularly ones aligned with windows), segregated vestibules, floor area devoted to standees (far too much of this due to wide doors) and possibly carriages (in summer) that I think are out.

craigybagel

Established Member
Effectively it's the same number of units as the 158s (given that three 158s are used where ETCS is not required) and they seem to have just about enough 158s to cover the diagrams so in terms of number of units they might well have their sums right. It is number of seats, toilets, table bays (particularly ones aligned with windows), segregated vestibules, floor area devoted to standees (far too much of this due to wide doors) and possibly carriages (in summer) that I think are out.
It's the same number of units if the timetable across the TfW network is the same as now. But there's a full recast coming.

krus_aragon

Established Member
How many extra standard class seats will be on a 5 car 197 formation compared to the current 3 car 175s that form most of the Manchester to West Wales?
274 vs 190, for a net gain of 84, per the diagrams and figures I linked to in my previous post.
Why do those 'accessibility' seat plans contain so much less information than the detailed layout diagram for the 197s?
Those are the diagrams I'd originally gone looking for, thanks.

There are also increased demands on the fleet though, in the form of the additonal Liverpool services (extension of Manchester Airport workings to Bangor might also require an extra diagram, as might filling in the last few gaps to go hourly to Aberystwyth?)
Junction - Bangor return is easily done in the same time as the Junction - Llandudno - Junction - Llandudno - Junction shuttle move that Manchester services have long operated, so it's just the additional Llandudno-Liverpool services that need to be considered there.

(My crayon timetables indicate that there'll be plenty of time for the Liverpool - Llandudno services to shuttle back to the Junction during their layover.)

anthony263

Established Member
I can see tfw adding ertms to more of the class 197’s hopefully to a small batch of the 3 carriage units to help during summer

GWVillager

Why do those 'accessibility' seat plans contain so much less information than the detailed layout diagram for the 197s? Admittedly there is a lot of clutter on the latter that is unhelpful for passengers, but the position of window pillars and to-scale seat spacing (so you can get an idea of legroom) would be useful when booking seats. Although I note that TfW seem to have gone the opposite direction to LNER during COVID and stopped offering seat reservations altogether, they aren't the only operator to provide seat plans that are lacking useful information.

What ambience? As far as I can tell from the detailed seat plan (see link above), even first class does not have segregated vestibules (there appears to be a partion door between first and standard, but not between the first class saloons and the doorway). One of the bays in 1st is partially blocked by a window pillar too.

Those diagrams are much better, thanks. With regards to the vestibule doors, I completely agree, that's the main issue with 1/3 2/3 doors, they're very loud with those exposed doorways. 170-style sound barriers might help, but from what I can see they're not fitted. On legroom, I am very tall as well, and I find the 175s unusually comfortable to travel in the airline seats. I doubt 2 cm will make much difference in all honesty, but the extra capacity will, the Marches route is getting ridiculously overcrowded. On a different note, I wonder what those First Class seats are. They're obviously not the same as Standard, but they don't look like the same sort fitted to the Class 80x. Could be wrong though.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
How many extra standard class seats will be on a 5 car 197 formation compared to the current 3 car 175s that form most of the Manchester to West Wales?
274 vs 190, for a net gain of 84, per the diagrams and figures I linked to in my previous post.
I've expanded on this, for example adding a comparison with 158s for the Cambrian, over in the wider discussion topic.

On a different note, I wonder what those First Class seats are. They're obviously not the same as Standard, but they don't look like the same sort fitted to the Class 80x. Could be wrong though.
Have any first class seats for the class 197s been sighted? TfW have cancelled/postponed my planned visit to see the mock ups, but I don't think they have a mock-up of first class do they?

anamyd

On Moderation
According to a Transport for Wales 'service changes' notice, on the Cambrian Line on Sunday the 15th of May (2022) all day, buses replace trains due to essential improvement work.

"Network Rail is upgrading the signals on the Cambrian Line to allow for the operation of our brand new trains. Trains will be in operation on this line to test the signal upgrade, but for safety reasons will not be for public use. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Will this involve testing of the ERTMS/ETCS 197s, already?

craigybagel

Established Member
According to a Transport for Wales 'service changes' notice, on the Cambrian Line on Sunday the 15th of May (2022) all day, buses replace trains due to essential improvement work.

"Network Rail is upgrading the signals on the Cambrian Line to allow for the operation of our brand new trains. Trains will be in operation on this line to test the signal upgrade, but for safety reasons will not be for public use. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Will this involve testing of the ERTMS/ETCS 197s, already?

Have CAF delivered one fitted with ERTMS ? Thinking about it, has 197020 been delivered ahead of it's contemporaries ? Perhaps that is an ERTMS example
003 has ERTMS fitted, though it's been running around with it isolated - it's mostly been on the Crewe - Shrewsbury training circuit.

The ERTMS equipment on the Cambrian requires upgrading to more modern standards as part of the introduction of the 197s and it may just be that 158s will be out testing the upgraded systems before the line reopens.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
197013 the newest unit at Donnington Rail Freight Terminal today. (10/5/22)

Attachments

• IMG_7862.JPG
    IMG_7862.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 91

Bob Price

A 197 is out today on 3D02 1002 Llandudno Junction-Chester ECS. Just passed it at Rhyl.
Saw the working go past Crewe webcam and there was a two car in multiple. GBRF seem to running one from Craven Arms and there are TfW coded ones running crew training to Shrewsbury. Seems Crewe is the place to be

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Saw the working go past Crewe webcam and there was a two car in multiple. GBRF seem to running one from Craven Arms and there are TfW coded ones running crew training to Shrewsbury. Seems Crewe is the place to be
It's Freightliner not GBRF. 197003 has been doing the Crewe to Shrewsbury runs recently.