• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

sd0733

Established Member
Are the current Saturday 197 diagrams the same?
Saturdays are booked for more 197s to Cardiff.

The 07:16, 09:14 Shrewsbury to Cardiff are 2 car and the 11:16 is a 4 car which then splits at Canton

The 11:22, 13:23, 15:23 and 17:16 off Cardiff back to Holyhead then utilise the 4 units that went down.

That's what's booked though, there's a fair few substitutions caused by poor availability of working units some days and allocated crew not signing them so it's not a guarantee one will show!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MDB1images

66515 worked 6Q98 from Donnington FRT to Crewe today with 197030. Another ETCS fitted 197.
Anyone know if when the Class 197's head from Donnington to Crewe Basford Hall if they head to the Arriva Depot(for start of service checks etc)or do they head onto Wolverton Works for the start of mods etc?

Cambrian359

Anyone know if when the Class 197's head from Donnington to Crewe Basford Hall if they head to the Arriva Depot(for start of service checks etc)or do they head onto Wolverton Works for the start of mods etc?
I’ve seen mention of ‘going in for mods before service’ several times now, I’m curious as to what mods a new built to order fleet need?

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Some go to the Carriage Sidings and some go to Basford Hall for onwards travel to Wolverton.

Bob Price

A class 47 just hauled 035 from Crewe Basford to Chester with a load of hoppers as barrier wagons. It looks like they are taking more and more over to Chester. Does anyone know if more handovers are actually due rather than rumoured?

The_Train

Established Member
It seems that if they head to Basford Hall, it is usually for onward movement to Wolverton

sd0733

Established Member
The planned date to accept more units has been delayed by around 4 weeks so is now expected to be mid July.

There's an extra diagram being introduced on Monday with the 04:21 Holyhead to Cardiff, 18:25 Cardiff to Chester, 00:38 Chester to Holyhead being transferred to 197.

The 18:25 currently comes from Llanelli but will be temporarily split to allow the 197.

craigybagel

Established Member
The planned date to accept more units has been delayed by around 4 weeks so is now expected to be mid July.

There's an extra diagram being introduced on Monday with the 04:21 Holyhead to Cardiff, 18:25 Cardiff to Chester, 00:38 Chester to Holyhead being transferred to 197.

The 18:25 currently comes from Llanelli but will be temporarily split to allow the 197.
I take it that means they've been cleared for Shrewsbury to Crewe now?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The delay isn’t fantastic, but it’ll be good when they’re accepted.

Of course, the delay is not great but it is what it is. What is fantastic is that Crewe-Shrewsbury is now cleared for 197s, and that trials with 6-car trains are underway.

It may be late, but the big change is coming 8-) Soon enough I will be able to get a 197 to Manchester, not yet but it's coming and I'm looking forward to that opportunity. The red pen is ready to go!

Jez

Established Member
Mid July wont be too long - we are nearly at the end of June already.

Is there any date when they are expected to operate West of Cardiff yet or is it too soon to say? I assume training is well underway now at Carmarthen depot?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
A class 47 just hauled 035 from Crewe Basford to Chester with a load of hoppers as barrier wagons. It looks like they are taking more and more over to Chester. Does anyone know if more handovers are actually due rather than rumoured?
I was told elsewhere it was 005 not 035. Don't think 035 is out on the network yet.
Mid July wont be too long - we are nearly at the end of June already.

Is there any date when they are expected to operate West of Cardiff yet or is it too soon to say? I assume training is well underway now at Carmarthen depot?
Probably need more units to even start thinking about that. Also the fact of passenger clearance.

The_Train

Established Member
It appears that 005 has been at Wolverton recently. Seen a pic of it being hauled by a shed from Wolverton to Crewe yesterday before it's onward move to Chester today.

Does anybody know when 005 first appeared on the network as there is a photo on Flickr from December last year suggesting it was in the sidings at Chester but seems strange that is the only photo from that time so wondering if that is a mis-identification?

CaergwrleKen

So they aren’t accepting any more 197 but are happy for one to stay in Cardiff all day doing nothing?

craigybagel

Established Member
So they aren’t accepting any more 197 but are happy for one to stay in Cardiff all day doing nothing?
What makes you think it's doing nothing? Having a working set on Canton all day can be very handy for static training for both traincrew and maintenance staff.

Jez

Established Member
I was told elsewhere it was 005 not 035. Don't think 035 is out on the network yet.

Probably need more units to even start thinking about that. Also the fact of passenger clearance.
There will be 38 units once this latest batch get accepted. At the moment the majority of North Wales (aside from those booked for 158s) are 197s as well as a few to Cardiff and the Crewe/Chester shuttle and that's with just 15 units. If they have 38 they should have plenty to at least start running some to Carmarthen.

Bob Price

Ah my mistake. The problem is with the webcams and the 197 numbers is they are hard to read. There was a 2 and a 3 car set in the Holyhead test yesterday but couldn't see which three car as the number was hidden.

Two three cars units formed 3Z97 Chester to Crewe this morning. First time I have seen two three car units coupled and running. Looks like a test as they are running back to Chester on 3Z98 at 9.50.

Last edited:

SeaKing

Ah my mistake. The problem is with the webcams and the 197 numbers is they are hard to read. There was a 2 and a 3 car set in the Holyhead test yesterday but couldn't see which three car as the number was hidden.

Two three cars units formed 3Z97 Chester to Crewe this morning. First time I have seen two three car units coupled and running. Looks like a test as they are running back to Chester on 3Z98 at 9.50.
RTT saying 110 & 112
104 on 3J25 Shrewsbury to Crewe

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Rather annoyed that 197015 - which I’d been looking forward to getting - has been subbed for a pair of 153s at Chester. More untrained drivers and hence set swaps. Gah.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Rather annoyed that 197015 - which I’d been looking forward to getting - has been subbed for a pair of 153s at Chester. More untrained drivers and hence set swaps. Gah.

I know the feeling, I looked at RTT and was all geared up for some 197 action myself. Never mind, chances are it'll be the first 197 I clear for 1,000 miles so I'll wait 8-) New batch of Patience Pills (not a real product at all, sadly) has arrived today, in the form of some really good news, so the wait continues.

I was going to do the 1211, thus 197015, from Hereford to Cardiff and get some more 231 action in. Combining it with some energetic walks of course!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I know the feeling, I looked at RTT and was all geared up for some 197 action myself. Never mind, chances are it'll be the first 197 I clear for 1,000 miles so I'll wait 8-) New batch of Patience Pills (not a real product at all, sadly) has arrived today, in the form of some really good news, so the wait continues.

I was going to do the 1211, thus 197015, from Hereford to Cardiff and get some more 231 action in. Combining it with some energetic walks of course!
Well you’d have bumped into me boarding it at Newport ahahaha.
As it stands I’m going back to London for my birthday so the nine 197s I’ve got is all I’ll have for now, but hopefully next week I can get up to double figures :lol: