• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I believe 102, 103 and 107 are due first, with the 197/1B units to follow immediately after.

Thanks. I really hope TfW do some mega cheap First Advance singles from Manchester/Stockport to points south and west, as this would be a good way of allowing those on a budget such as myself to sample the product.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thanks. I really hope TfW do some mega cheap First Advance singles from Manchester/Stockport to points south and west, as this would be a good way of allowing those on a budget such as myself to sample the product.
Good luck. I can never find TfW advances, cheap expensive or otherwise.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Good luck. I can never find TfW advances, cheap expensive or otherwise.

£1.40 from Manchester to Stockport is nearly always available if I'm up for the 40min walk home from there (as opposed to catching the direct service to my local station just a bit further on)

Kite159

Veteran Member
TfW seem to have changed the model from cheaper 'TfW only' flexible tickets to cheaper advance tickets on some of the routes they offered TfW only fares.

No doubt that £1,40 fare mentioned by @Jamesrob637 will be available on most departures from Manchester to Stockport even if the trains are crush loaded

Jez

Established Member
Will there be enough 197s in service to have South Wales to Manchester's as 4 (or even 5 carriages) from the Dec timetable or will they still run as 2 or 3 cars a bit longer?

Dai Corner

Established Member
What a daft idea - to have a dragon on the side with it partly obscuring the view out for anyone unfortunate enough to be stuck in the relevant seats.

I thought the body shells were shipped over from Spain? Not exactly all made in Wales then?
Agreed.

Assembled in Wales would be more accurate.

Philip

On Moderation
Will the business class 197s also be diagrammed for Manchester-North Wales and if so will the upgrade be offered? If not will 101-112 be diagrammed separately from the remaining 14 3-car units?

Lurcheroo

It’s looking like it may get declassified so you’ll be able to sit there if there’s a seat available on any ticket.

sd0733

Established Member
Will the business class 197s also be diagrammed for Manchester-North Wales and if so will the upgrade be offered? If not will 101-112 be diagrammed separately from the remaining 14 3-car units?
From what I know they'll be run as normal 3 cars at least to start with.
When or if 'business class' is introduced I don't think anyone knows for sure. As @Lurcheroo says it's looking likely at the moment that it'll just be declassified.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The original plan, no. Manchester Swansea only for Business class upgrades. 113+ would have been put onto split and attach diagrams for that route, with a /0 that would work the Swansea West Wales part on it's own, and 101-112 would have been booked for all Holyhead Cardiffs (excluding the daily 67) and a few Manchester North Wales', although the 197/1Bs would have no doubt slipped onto the odd Holyhead Cardiff or Manchester North Wales every now and then and been declassified.

Now that business might not happen due to disputes over toilet access, no one knows what will happen in the long term, but for the short term the 197/1Bs will enter service with the 2+1 area declassified.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
197050 is on the Wrexham Bidstons today on the old 150 diagram. It appears to be keeping time really well at the moment!

craigybagel

Established Member
I would hope so with nearly twice the power!
Power means nothing if you can't get it down, and the Bidston line is notoriously slippy. 197s will out power anything in the fleet on a dry rail but they get very twitchy when it gets slippy. Through in the fact that dwell time tends to be a bit slower than 150s and crews being less familiar with them on that route and it's not surprising they can't keep to time.

Steve B

For a bit of context - I was travelling on that line yesterday and both the 230 and 150 were running late - the 150 was about 15min late getting me back to Wrexham, meaning I missed what passes for a connection there and had to wait over an hour for the next train south to Shrewsbury.

As has been said already, this line isn't a straight-forward one, and for a first day in passenger service I wouldn't expect miracles.

Bikeman78

Established Member
For a bit of context - I was travelling on that line yesterday and both the 230 and 150 were running late - the 150 was about 15min late getting me back to Wrexham, meaning I missed what passes for a connection there and had to wait over an hour for the next train south to Shrewsbury.

As has been said already, this line isn't a straight-forward one, and for a first day in passenger service I wouldn't expect miracles.
Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but the Bidston line switches to a train every 45 minutes with three units in the new timetable. Not sure what those units will be but the extra 15 minutes per round trip should be enough for most trains to run on time.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but the Bidston line switches to a train every 45 minutes with three units in the new timetable. Not sure what those units will be but the extra 15 minutes per round trip should be enough for most trains to run on time.
Two 230s and a 197, I think someone said upthread?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Does anyone know whether more lines than just Chester to Manchester have been authorised for 5/6 car running? I've been looking at the unit diagrams from the Dec 2023 TT change, and there are multiple 5 car formations booked along the Marches.

1V92 is also allocated a 3+2 197 tomorrow, so we'll see if that does happen!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
1V92 is also allocated a 3+2 197 tomorrow, so we'll see if that does happen!
The early allocations are (in my experience) often quite wrong, I've seen a good number of 150s or 153s on the Cambrian during the early draft, but it's a nice surprise going to sleep expecting a single 150 and waking up to a double 175!
It's already changed to a 2+2 197
Operated with:
  • 197045 to Chester
  • 197045 + 197015 to Cardiff Central