• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Cambrian359

Would assume costs? as surely having all units fitted would make things much more flexible and operationally friendly for planners etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
Apparently it's very easy to add the ERTMS to any additional 197s if they need to.

Also the 3 x 158s that were booked to visit south wales on a 3 day cycle.were also so crews in the South would remain competent on them as well as utilising capacity. Obviously with the 197s that isn't relaxant as they are already on most long distance services.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I don't think that has ever been officially answered - was it a cost-saving measure or are ETCS-fitted units somehow inferior if you don't have to have it? If I recall correctly they were originally expected to all be delivered with ETCS/ERTMS but that later changed for some reason (or perhaps there was a misunderstanding of the original announcement and it was only ever 21 ETCS-fitted units on-order).

The Holyhead portion would have to be a non-ETCS unit otherwise the ETCS-fitted ones would still be going through to Holyhead and all 21 units would be occupied with the Cambrian duties, just as there was normally only 3 diagrams visiting south Wales out of the 24 ATW 158s. Also, if I recall correctly the round trip time from Shrewsbury to Birmingham International and back puts the unit from Holyhead on a service to Pwllheli when it goes back west (and vice versa) so to avoid sending ETCS-fitted units to Wrexham/Holyhead the train would have to be three units east of Shrewsbury (4-cars doing Aberystwyth/Pwllheli - Birmingham International plus a non-ETCS unit providing the Wrexham/Holyhead portion).
Cost is one consideration, and necessity has to be another.
Every single piece of electronic kit installed in a drivers cab introduces risk of failure. so don't have it unless you need it. I can recall more than one instance of something as simple as a DRA button coming off in the drivers hand. Result unusable cab, possible cancellation, reversal if possible, or finding another unit to bury the defective cab. Much easier not to have the kit in the cab in the first place if it is not needed - or up until the time ETCS is rolled out to the routes the unit work in normal service

Phil from Mon

IV95 was a 150 today, and the trolley came off at Chester. Uncomfortable, noisy and draughty, but at least not a cancellation. To think that a year ago I was on the same train sitting in first!

Dan G

Cost is one consideration, and necessity has to be another.
Every single piece of electronic kit installed in a drivers cab introduces risk of failure. so don't have it unless you need it. I can recall more than one instance of something as simple as a DRA button coming off in the drivers hand. Result unusable cab, possible cancellation, reversal if possible, or finding another unit to bury the defective cab. Much easier not to have the kit in the cab in the first place if it is not needed - or up until the time ETCS is rolled out to the routes the unit work in normal service
Isn't ERTMS just a software load on these units?

craigybagel

Established Member
Isn't ERTMS just a software load on these units?
Hardware too. Some of the wiring has been done, but I think that's about it. Most noticeably, they still have analogue speedometers. I suspect there's other bits of equipment but fitted either. It's a quicker fix than on the 158s, but slightly more involved than just adding software.

wickham

Something odd has happened with the delivery of the Class 197s - according to my notes 197001-32 and 197042-051 are delivered, but what has happened to 033-041 and why have 042-051 apparently overtaken them ? Might it be that 042-051 were completeted somewhere other than Llanwern - ie: imported complete ??

sd0733

Established Member
Something odd has happened with the delivery of the Class 197s - according to my notes 197001-32 and 197042-051 are delivered, but what has happened to 033-041 and why have 042-051 apparently overtaken them ? Might it be that 042-051 were completeted somewhere other than Llanwern - ie: imported complete ??
022-032 haven't been accepted either. The gap between 021 and 042 are the ERTMS fitted units for the Cambrian. Mostly in storage at Telford I believe.
Not sure what any immediate plans for them are.

sd0733

Established Member
Doesn't look like 197120's made it out thus far :(
Showing as under maintenance at Chester so would appear something not quite right with it as shoulnt be due anything that quickly. Hopefully its debut isn't too far off.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I thought '120 was out about a week ago Crewe / Cardiff or was that strictly on test and not in revenue service?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
1W64 1504 Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly is showing as 5 carriages from Cardiff, so I assume this will change.

sd0733

Established Member
1W64 1504 Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly is showing as 5 carriages from Cardiff, so I assume this will change.
Yes that won't go so will have to swap the 3 car out. It could go to Shrewsbury as a 5 but not further.

sd0733

Established Member
Now showing as 197115 only from Cardiff.
Likely to change again as that one is booked to split at Manchester to form 2 separate trains back. There are workarounds with set swaps at Crewe but it'll be 2x2 car 197 wherever possible

Lurcheroo

Was there any reason why they didn’t just fit ERTMS equipment to all of the 197’s? Sorry if I’m missing something obvious here
As well as cost I also heard that it was to avoid the boot up time of the software on the DMI on turnaround. Takes a good 4 or 5 minutes to get fully setup on ERTMS, little quicker if your in unfitted mode, but still a lot longer than a non-ertms unit.

On the subject of ERTMS units, I have heard today that there is ERTMS testing booked on the Cambrian for 9th of March with proving runs in April/May. Entry into service on the Cambrian is dated for December 2025.

Also previously it had been reported that Llanbedr, Tygwyn and Abererch (all short platforms with level crossings and a drivers white light) were going to be a problem with the 197's and were potentially looked at being closed but now it is being reported that they are all in within spec. Llanbedr is apparently still reported to be getting a new platform which is deeper so that the shelter is moved back to aid with drivers sighting the road as the crossing is the last open crossing on the Cambrian and receives a fair amount of misuse, but it is also said that it will be receiving barriers. I don't know for sure but I do hope the platform length is extended so that it fits a 2 car, I think a 4 car would be a bit overkill but would be nice for when the 4 cars are in operation.

Jez

Established Member
On the subject of ERTMS units, I have heard today that there is ERTMS testing booked on the Cambrian for 9th of March with proving runs in April/May. Entry into service on the Cambrian is dated for December 2025.
That seems a long gap between the testing/proving runs and entry into service.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
While on my usual wait for the train home, I noticed 197016 sounded really unwell pulling off just now. Very quiet trains normally but this was making a bit of a roaring sound, reminded me a little bit of the sound a plane does as it takes off - much quieter of course, but that sort of sound.

I do hope that’s an accidental typo for 2024.

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Yes it does and no it’s not unfortunately. I double checked they didn’t meant 2024 and was assured that 2025 was the latest given plan, as of yesterday
Ive been told the same. As I understand it its due to the plan being effectively an overnight change, 158s finish one day and the 197s start the next (it'll be slightly more complex than that!) So everything, training, maintenance etc will have to be 100% ready for the service introduction.