• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Lurcheroo

I wonder what the rush is to get 197s on the Cambrian? It's not like the 158s are needed elsewhere.
Yes I can’t understand, nor can anyone local to the Cambrian. Not only that but everyone local to the Cambrian doesn’t believe we will actually see them this year, but it’s certainly being pushed by the 197 team it seems.
GWR, for example, could do with them and it gets them off TfW's books. Don't overlook the political effect of shiny new trains either.
Perhaps it is something to do with that , can’t see much else really.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caaardiff

I wonder what the rush is to get 197s on the Cambrian? It's not like the 158s are needed elsewhere.
Until the 756's are fully in service and possibly the 398's on the Valleys, the 231's will still be seen on the Valleys alongside 150's and a few 153's. If the Cambrian 197's enter service soon, I can see TFW postponing the Cambrian for as long as possible so those 197's can be used in the South until the 231's move to Ebbw Vale and Maesteg - Cheltenham.

southernyoshi

As a passenger on the Cambrian, I honestly don't care whether we get 197s at all, as long as it's not what the consistent hourly service depends on. Give us that & I'll be perfectly happy to keep the 158s here :)

Lurcheroo

As a passenger on the Cambrian, I honestly don't care whether we get 197s at all, as long as it's not what the consistent hourly service depends on. Give us that & I'll be perfectly happy to keep the 158s here :)
My understanding is that they are currently planning to introduce the hourly service after the 197’s have entered service.
Theoretically if they decided never to give us 197’s then there’s enough 158’s to do it as there’s 24 of them and 21 ERTMS 197’s.
But I don’t see it likely that we keep 158’s long term.

Now don’t get me wrong here, I love the Cambrian, but it looses a lot of money each year and TFW/Network rail have been trying to come up with ways to reduce the loss.
A crazy amount of money has been spent on the line in the past few years and a good portion of that is in preparation for the 197’s.
Machynlleth maintenance depot had an extension to be able to fit them, upgrade of the ERTMS baseline system to be compatible with them, they’re talking about rebuilding a few of the short platforms on the coast to accommodate them, so it’s hard to see that they’d do all that and not have them on the Cambrian.

Another thought I have had last night, is TFW are currently trying to reduce their operating costs without reducing any provided service / get more people on the trains to make more money.
I wonder if the leasing costs and running costs for the 197’s are significantly lower than the 158’s so the sooner they’re swapped over the sooner they start saving on some costs ?

BillStampy

Full 197 diagrams on Maesteg Cheltenham today, 1723 and 2237 still don't count as they are booked 15X. How lovely. Unfortunately the missing MK4 diagram that realistically should be a 197 is a double 153. I don't know any other diagrams that could be a 150/153 when it should be a 197 but I think we'll see enjoy the 197s on the Maesteg branch before we get the 231s, since the standard plus unit which I took home last week was superb.

Topological

Full 197 diagrams on Maesteg Cheltenham today, 1723 and 2237 still don't count as they are booked 15X. How lovely. Unfortunately the missing MK4 diagram that realistically should be a 197 is a double 153. I don't know any other diagrams that could be a 150/153 when it should be a 197 but I think we'll see enjoy the 197s on the Maesteg branch before we get the 231s, since the standard plus unit which I took home last week was superb.
Interestingly today the diagram is a pair of 153s all day, yesterday a 197 did the first Manchester trip.

I think it is obligatory to point out that despite having the Cardiff severance the 10:30 and 18:30 from Manchester are not actually a Mk4 diagram. Realtime trains pathing is not an indication etc etc

At least I know where to stand on the platform and it is not a 150. 153s are better than a 150.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Now don’t get me wrong here, I love the Cambrian, but it looses a lot of money each year and TFW/Network rail have been trying to come up with ways to reduce the loss.
A crazy amount of money has been spent on the line in the past few years and a good portion of that is in preparation for the 197’s.
Machynlleth maintenance depot had an extension to be able to fit them, upgrade of the ERTMS baseline system to be compatible with them, they’re talking about rebuilding a few of the short platforms on the coast to accommodate them, so it’s hard to see that they’d do all that and not have them on the Cambrian.
Longer platforms, additional depot space and, most of all, upgraded ERTMS would still come in useful some day when the 158s are eventually replaced by something.

Another thought I have had last night, is TFW are currently trying to reduce their operating costs without reducing any provided service / get more people on the trains to make more money.
I wonder if the leasing costs and running costs for the 197’s are significantly lower than the 158’s so the sooner they’re swapped over the sooner they start saving on some costs ?
If I recall correctly, the leasing (and possibly running) costs of a 158 in ATW days were considerably lower than a 2-car 175, so the 158s are probably cheaper to lease than 197s (on the basis that newer stock seemed to have higher leasing costs, at least in ATW days), but I've no idea what the lease rate for the 197s is.

I think it is obligatory to point out that despite having the Cardiff severance the 10:30 and 18:30 from Manchester are not actually a Mk4 diagram. Realtime trains pathing is not an indication etc
Both are planned to be mark 4 once HD01-HD07 are all available though aren't they (going by the fact they are advertised as having 1st class accomodation in TfW's PDF timetable booklet for CDF-MAN)?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Both are planned to be mark 4 once HD01-HD07 are all available though aren't they (going by the fact they are advertised as having 1st class accomodation in TfW's PDF timetable booklet for CDF-MAN)?

All even hours and some odd hours will be booked MKIV after the June TT change.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I was on one of the 197.1s with 1st Class areas last weekend. The conductor/guard announced (on the lines of)
"First Class at the rear; free first class upgrades at present until the complete fleet roll-out, after which 1st Class upgrades will be available at £5 or more"

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I was on one of the 197.1s with 1st Class areas last weekend. The conductor/guard announced (on the lines of)
"First Class at the rear; free first class upgrades at present until the complete fleet roll-out, after which 1st Class upgrades will be available at £5 or more"

So this that I was told on 20th February by TfW’s social media team either isn’t true or the reminder hasn’t taken effect yet presumably:

Good afternoon, our premium fares on the Class 197 were launched in December 2023 and are in effect now, a reminder will be sent to our on-board staff about this

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Simple economics from the boardroom. The 197s were ordered to entirely replace the 158s, so they will not be wanting to pay for two different fleets to cover one lot of diagrams any more than they have to,.

In my opinion the TfW 158s will be handed back just as soon as is practical, in a similar manner to the 175s disappearing before the replacements arrived - hence 153s on the Manchesters etc. Probably just as well that 153s don't have ERTMS else they would doubtless have been returning to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli !!!

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
All even hours and some odd hours will be booked MKIV after the June TT change.
Even and odd hours from where? Assuming you mean from Manchester there are no odd hours 67 departures from there in the June timetable - and nor are there ever likely to be given you need 5 sets to run a full 2 hourly service Manchester - Cardiff and 1 daily Holyhead - Cardiff. You also run into difficulties as 3 of the odd hours services are worked by Shrewsbury drivers who don't sign 67s.

In June the odd hours departures are all booked 197, and the evens MKIV (apart from 2030 and 2232).

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Even and odd hours from where? Assuming you mean from Manchester there are no odd hours 67 departures from there in the June timetable - an nor are there ever likely to be given you need 5 sets to run a full 2 hourly service Manchester - Cardiff and 1 daily Holyhead - Cardiff. You also run into difficulties as 3 of the odd hours services are worked by Shrewsbury drivers who don't sign 67s.

In June the odd hours departures are all booked 197, and the evens MKIV.

From Manchester yes, and thank you for clarification.

Lurcheroo

Longer platforms, additional depot space and, most of all, upgraded ERTMS would still come in useful some day when the 158s are eventually replaced by something.
Yes they would, they’re nice upgrades too, but if the 158’s were staying, that money would not be getting spent. It is all only being spent to accommodate the 197’s.
Simple economics from the boardroom. The 197s were ordered to entirely replace the 158s, so they will not be wanting to pay for two different fleets to cover one lot of diagrams any more than they have to,.

In my opinion the TfW 158s will be handed back just as soon as is practical, in a similar manner to the 175s disappearing before the replacements arrived - hence 153s on the Manchesters etc. Probably justas wellthat 153s don't have ERTMS else they would doubtless have been returning to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli !!!
Not sure if they have to pay for the 197’s until they’re in service ? Surely something like that in the agreement with CAF.

I have heard many people complain about ERTMS and I have said the exact same about 153’s ! Even on the Aberystwyth’s during the 175 fiasco.

Caaardiff

Any updates on new deliveries? 197118 entered service on 16th Feb and hasn't appeared to be another since.

fadster

Any updates on new deliveries?
197120 was on a Manchester airport service yesterday looking very new. It joined up with a 2 car unit at Chester for the onward leg to Manchester.

BenBracken

If I recall correctly, the leasing (and possibly running) costs of a 158 in ATW days were considerably lower than a 2-car 175, so the 158s are probably cheaper to lease than 197s (on the basis that newer stock seemed to have higher leasing costs, at least in ATW days), but I've no idea what the lease rate for the 197s is.
Are the 197s leased or has TfW bought them with the £800m they got from WAG? If they are leased which company is it? Doesn’t seem right they are assembled in Wales then given straight to an external hire firm?

Lurcheroo

Are the 197s leased or has TfW bought them with the £800m they got from WAG? If they are leased which company is it? Doesn’t seem right they are assembled in Wales then given straight to an external hire firm?
They’re definitely leased. According to wiki (yes, I know) they're owned by SMBC Leasing.

Jez

Established Member
I noticed yesterday there were quite a few 197 diagrams missing. 2 of the Milford Haven to Manchester were 150s and there was a 158 and pair of 153s on Maestegs. A 197 was however covering for a MK4 on the diagram.that included the 1630 Manchester to Swansea.

Western 52

I noticed yesterday there were quite a few 197 diagrams missing. 2 of the Milford Haven to Manchester were 150s and there was a 158 and pair of 153s on Maestegs. A 197 was however covering for a MK4 on the diagram.that included the 1630 Manchester to Swansea.
Indeed, I had the misfortune to be on 1V44 from Cardiff, formed of 150284. Over crowded and I heard several people complaining. At least it was almost on time.

317 forever

Established Member
They have invented shrinking 197s now:

This one arrives as 197108 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C01151/2024-02-29/detailed#allox_id=0
Then goes off to Carmarthen as a 197018: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:P63984/2024-02-29/detailed

Its obviously a typo but will be nice when it works the other way :)
I experienced a shrinking 197 yesterday.

My journey from East Didsbury to Manchester Piccadilly in the morning had 3 carriages. For the return journey in the evening it had shrunk to 2 carriages. :lol:

Lurcheroo

Could anyone on here confirm if the ERTMS 197's are built ? I know 003 is and has been out and about so I guess mileage accumulation wont be an issue for that one, but I've not heard of any others building any mileage.