• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

TimboM

Established Member
How did they deal with those in Mk3 days, or did that have grandfather rights to release doors off the platform?
Have I misunderstood or are you suggesting "grandfather" rights would permit unlocking doors that were not at a platform? On a passenger service in 2019? Really??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Have I misunderstood or are you suggesting "grandfather" rights would permit unlocking doors that were not at a platform? On a passenger service in 2019? Really??
Of course, this is becoming less common as rolling stock is renewed but it is still very much a thing in places.

MrEd

What, then, would have happened with a Mk3 set at stations for which it was too long? E.g. at Watford Junction? In all the times I used the sleeper in Mk3 days I just never gave this any thought. I don’t think the Mk3 sets were ever fitted with selective door operation? Was it local door only? I seem to think that local door only was standard for the smaller stations on the WHL on the Fort William route, but what happened at Watford when the rear three or so coaches of the Inverness portion were off the platform? I can’t imagine local door operation would be feasible there.

Scotrail84

Established Member
How did they deal with those in Mk3 days, or did that have grandfather rights to release doors off the platform?
All doors were released with stewards manning coaches that were off the platform

Which platform does CS normally call at which doesn't accommodate all the doors?
Off the top of my head all doors won't release at the following stations. Falkirk Grahamston, Dunblane, Blair Atholl, Dalwhinnie, Newtonmore, Kingussie, Carstairs, Carlisle, Preston, Watford Jn, Carnoustie and several stations on the route to Fort William - Dalmuir, Gaerlochead, Arrochar, Ardlui, Crianlarach, Tyndrum Upper, Bridge of Orchy, Rannoch, Corrour, Tulloch and Roy Bridge.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
All doors were released with stewards manning coaches that were off the platform

Off the top of my head all doors won't release at the following stations. Falkirk Grahamston, Dunblane, Blair Atholl, Dalwhinnie, Newtonmore, Kingussie, Carstairs, Carlisle, Preston, Watford Jn, Carnoustie and several stations on the route to Fort William - Dalmuir, Gaerlochead, Arrochar, Ardlui, Crianlarach, Tyndrum Upper, Bridge of Orchy, Rannoch, Corrour, Tulloch and Roy Bridge.
I haven't been up there for the last 2 years so haven't been on the new Mk5s but before that I was "the" regular at Garelochead. Garelochead can take 6 coaches of class 156 with some room to spare (4 for ft William, 2 for Oban). I think all the West highland Stations up to Crianlarich are the same. A mk 5 coach is just under a metre shorter than a 156 coach so I don't think the sleeper won't fit at any of these stations.

JModulo

I haven't been up there for the last 2 years so haven't been on the new Mk5s but before that I was "the" regular at Garelochead. Garelochead can take 6 coaches of class 156 with some room to spare (4 for ft William, 2 for Oban). I think all the West highland Stations up to Crianlarich are the same. A mk 5 coach is just under a metre shorter than a 156 coach so I don't think the sleeper won't fit at any of these stations.
6 coaches in the summer though... plus a loco

paul1609

Established Member
6 coaches in the summer though... plus a loco
Yep, Im pretty much sure that fits at Garelochead. The stop board is also some distance off the platform for normal running. Its not like there's a signal post telephone for the driver to use and if the driver stops short with a long train it will be foul of the previous section.

Established Member
I alighted the Southbound sleeper at Bridge of Orchy last January, the TM said the seated coach might not be platformed and I'd have to go with him through the lounge to the next door with a panel if not. That did indeed end up happening.

I can't remember wether it was local door only though or wether just certain doors opened. I don't recall anyone else being there apart from the TM and myself chatting while we waited for the ScotRail service back towards Mallaig.

TimboM

Established Member
Any news on 15340 ?. Any signs of repairs being done ?.
Still not been out. At any given time currently only 28 coaches of 75 are required due to the reduced timetable, so don't expect to see 15340 reappearing for a long while.

AY1975

Established Member
The Caledonian Sleeper website appears to suggest that only the Edinburgh and Inverness portions are currently running (with passengers for Edinburgh being allowed to stay on the train until 07.30, and the Edinburgh portion for southbound passengers being available for boarding at Waverley between 23.00 and 00.15), but at least for the last few nights Real Time Trains shows an Edinburgh train running in the path of the Inverness train as cancelled.

I'm guessing that it's the same arrangement as during the first lockdown last spring whereby only one train runs per night from Euston to Inverness, dropping off coaches at Waverley for Edinburgh passengers northbound and picking up the Edinburgh portion at Waverley southbound.

Established Member
The Caledonian Sleeper website appears to suggest that only the Edinburgh and Inverness portions are currently running (with passengers for Edinburgh being allowed to stay on the train until 07.30, and the Edinburgh portion for southbound passengers being available for boarding at Waverley between 23.00 and 00.15), but at least for the last few nights Real Time Trains shows an Edinburgh train running in the path of the Inverness train as cancelled.

I'm guessing that it's the same arrangement as during the first lockdown last spring whereby only one train runs per night from Euston to Inverness, dropping off coaches at Waverley for Edinburgh passengers northbound and picking up the Edinburgh portion at Waverley southbound.
This has been the case since at least November (with other portions running over the Christmas period only I think)

but at least for the last few nights Real Time Trains shows an Edinburgh train running in the path of the Inverness train as cancelled.
That is a path solely for operational purposes and hasn't run at all.

Essexman

Established Member
A couple of observation.

I have made a booking for May but the berth selector doesn’t seem to be working.

For years I’ve used Flexipass but now I am sixty I can get a third off individual bookings with Senior Railcard but not the Flexipass. I assume this is because it’s transferable but it will no longer give me a cost advantage.

FQTV

A couple of observation.

I have made a booking for May but the berth selector doesn’t seem to be working.

For years I’ve used Flexipass but now I am sixty I can get a third off individual bookings with Senior Railcard but not the Flexipass. I assume this is because it’s transferable but it will no longer give me a cost advantage.

The room selector isn’t working beyond March at the moment; they’re aware of it and they’re reportedly fixing it, but couldn’t give me a likely date by which it will be sorted.

paul1609

Established Member
A couple of observation.

Yes that's correct, it was the same with me and a forces railcard. I haven't had the chance to try my veterans railcard yet but realistically I won't (can't afford) to make the number of trips to justify a flexipass now anyway.

Essexman

Established Member
The room selector isn’t working beyond March at the moment; they’re aware of it and they’re reportedly fixing it, but couldn’t give me a likely date by which it will be sorted.
Thanks
I've been allocated room 2 so hopefully can cancel and rebook choosing one in centre of coach in due course.

JModulo

Thanks
I've been allocated room 2 so hopefully can cancel and rebook choosing one in centre of coach in due course.

I've found that the majority of the time even if it is working you end up being moved from your room of choice due to a fault or the staff wanting to keep a full coach empty (when you may be the only booking in said coach).

Last edited:

John Bishop

Major problems with 1S25 yesterday morning. Terminated at Kingussie 392 late. Stock arrived into Inverness at 1625. Must be a record?

Roger B

Issues with a component falling off the stock.
Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Note to all rolling stock procurers and ROSCOs: CAF products may seem cheaper than products from other manufacturers, but when you consider lifecycle maintenance and running costs, reliability and availability issues, customer experience, and probably longevity (admittedly tbc), it doesn't look that way. Please do not inflect any more of their shoddy products onto our railways.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Anything important, or just something that other trains could have hit?
The fact the service was delayed at Kingussie for around 6.5 hours would strongly indicate it was something important / required for the onward progress of the train.

Not sure why concerns about other trains hitting debris would've stopped 1S25 for that long??

Essexman

Established Member
CS have another IT issue now. Fort William trains shown as fully booked for most of August whereas last week they showed plenty of availability.
CS have reported it to their IT department.
They changed my room for June booking as room selector on website is still down.
CS do seem to get a lot of IT issues.

JModulo

Anything important, or just something that other trains could have hit?
Not anything special, and something that is a rather quick fix, but as Tim suggests above it prevented the train from moving further. A bit like for instance if a hose clamp fell off your cars radiator. Whilst the clip itself is nothing really, you'd then lose all of your water and couldn't drive.