• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
Did I not read there were additional checks being done on these, so perhaps a reason for the enforced short-formations?
Post #15523 upthread refers.
In the absence of a fix, of which there hasn't been any word, presumably inspection frequency is still two weekly vice monthly which might partly explain why the short forms are still occurring?

Caleb2010

When I arrived at Inverness yesterday there were 2 coaches sitting out of the rake over by the motorail sidings - plus a short distance away, some sort of generator coach.

When we got into the platform there were 2x73/9 heading a sleeper set where the whole thing was marginally longer than the 2x170 I was on.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
When I arrived at Inverness yesterday there were 2 coaches sitting out of the rake over by the motorail sidings - plus a short distance away, some sort of generator coach.

When we got into the platform there were 2x73/9 heading a sleeper set where the whole thing was marginally longer than the 2x170 I was on.
Reduced length services because they are going into Kings Cross this weekend.

al78

Established Member
Planning a trip, and considered using the sleeper for the first time since the new stock came in. Took one look at the prices - minimum of £265 for Inverness -> London, five months ahead - and quickly dismissed that idea.

Clearly this is no longer a service for normal people; we have to fly and pollute instead, if we can't spare the time for the day train.

So, serious question: Who actually uses the sleeper, at these prices? Apart from MPs?
I have booked it for a trip in the second half of May and paid something similar to that both ways. Combined with car hire it is a very expensive way to holiday in the UK. As the purpose of my trip is raising money for Shelterbox by walking 100 km and climbing 10,000 m whilst I am up in the NW highlands, using the sleeper gives me two additional hiking days to achieve that target.

What I'm hearing is a small chorus of "it's affordable with a railcard!".

Which sums up UK rail pricing in general, IMHO :(
I'm curious as to what percentage of the population qualifies for a railcard. I don't other than a network railcard which costs more per year than I would save by using it.

Having had a quick look there are a lot of railcards available so if you are old, young, disabled, a veteran, live in SE England or frequently travel with someone else you can get a third off most rail fares (I guess not peak time fares though).

Last edited:

JModulo

How's 92006 coming along now? Have they got it to behave
Not really, no. Restricted to ECS duties currently and was released to help cope with maintenance requirements of the others currently needing larger jobs carried out.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm curious as to what percentage of the population qualifies for a railcard. I don't other than a network railcard which costs more per year than I would save by using it.

Slightly OT, but *everyone* qualifies, you jsut have to find someone else to travel with you.

At a guess, the proportion of the GB population that:

a) would consider using the train
b) is not aged between 30-65,
c) nor a veteran, disabled, or rail staff,
d) wants or needs to travel alone

will be below 20%

al78

Established Member
Slightly OT, but *everyone* qualifies, you jsut have to find someone else to travel with you.

At a guess, the proportion of the GB population that:

a) would consider using the train
b) is not aged between 30-65,
c) nor a veteran, disabled, or rail staff,
d) wants or needs to travel alone

will be below 20%
So I am in a minority it appears, unless I can find someone else who wants to travel from Horsham to Manchester and back on the same days as me who is willing to be the second named person on a Two Together railcard. Everyone qualifies if you include theoretical but impractical scenarios that are never going to happen.

trainophile

Established Member
Are Two Together railcards time restricted? Otherwise it might work for work colleagues who frequently have to go to other offices/sites together. Or take the wife/partner/neighbour/drinking pal, who can do some shopping/have lunch/go to the cinema while the other traveller is doing their business. Assuming the wife/partner etc. is generally available and not at work themselves.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Are Two Together railcards time restricted? Otherwise it might work for work colleagues who frequently have to go to other offices/sites together. Or take the wife/partner/neighbour/drinking pal, who can do some shopping/have lunch/go to the cinema while the other traveller is doing their business. Assuming the wife/partner etc. is generally available and not at work themselves.
They're not valid before 0930 Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays.)

Amaranthe

I see the Inverness sleeper lost 151 minutes between Pitlochry and Blair Atholl this morning. Any idea what happened?

Likely to be delayed more now due to an incident between Aviemore and Inverness.

EDIT - Apologies, just saw Scotrail's tweet from earlier about a breakdown.

EDIT 2 - Now cancelled between Aviemore & Inverness.

Last edited:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Are Two Together railcards time restricted? Otherwise it might work for............. the wife/partner/neighbour/drinking pal, who can do some shopping/have lunch/go to the cinema while the other traveller is doing their business. Assuming the wife/partner etc. is generally available and not at work themselves.
That would only be a saving if they were going to go anyway. It's 1/3 off each ticket.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I see the Inverness sleeper lost 151 minutes between Pitlochry and Blair Atholl this morning. Any idea what happened?

Likely to be delayed more now due to an incident between Aviemore and Inverness.

What is the actual point in cancelling it on that last stretch, other than not having to find a platform for it at Inverness itself? I'm sure all the passengers will have been overjoyed at the prospect of standing on a already overloaded 170 attempting to negotiate the gradients with all their luggage packed around them

Or has the railway completely given up due to said incident and either put on buses or told passengers to use CityLink services from outside the station

Amaranthe

What is the actual point in cancelling it on that last stretch, other than not having to find a platform for it at Inverness itself? I'm sure all the passengers will have been overjoyed at the prospect of standing on a already overloaded 170 attempting to negotiate the gradients with all their luggage packed around them

Or has the railway completely given up due to said incident and either put on buses or told passengers to use CityLink services from outside the station
Looks like a line closure between Aviemore & Inverness due to a trespass incident.

Ticket acceptance with Citylink was already in place due to the earlier breakdown and latest info was replacement coaches were organised. Or you could travel via Aberdeen if you so wished!!

PG

Established Member

They'd probably have been less overjoyed if they were still sat on the train in Aviemore! I can't see, via RTT, that the stock hasn't departed from Aviemore since it arrived there almost 2 hours ago. Presumably it'll have to head to Inverness at some point unless tonights southbound is also going to be cancelled?

Edit: I see @Amaranthe has provided an update which explains why the stock hasn't moved.

Amaranthe

Sad to say that the Press & Journal is now reporting someone was struck by a train hence the line closure.

Thoughts with all involved.

Amaranthe

Sadly a fatality at Culloden has been confirmed.

Looks like 1T86 0942 Inverness - Queen Street was the service involved.

Devonman2014

I'm travelling from Inverness. Or, actually, a significant distance from Inverness, but that's the relevant sleeper stop. I'm trying to book well ahead, so on day trains I would be using Advance tickets. The day train from Inverness to London is currently £74.10 on similar dates. To be fair, I'd also have to add a hotel night to use it, which would bring it up to.... perhaps half the CS fare or a little over.

You're right that things are a lot more affordable for couples. While there's much about the new approach to sleepers that I dislike, the effective doubling of price for solo travellers (by not allowing you to book a bunk in a shared cabin) is the most egregious.

al78

Established Member
Personally I'm prepared to take that on the chin. The standard rooms aren't big enough to swing a mouse so I'd have to become very friendly with anyone who I shared a room with.

John Bishop

Traction issues- 2 x 73s on it. Had to swap locos around before proceeding.

vuzzeho

I have a question - it may be a dumb one. My friend lives between KX and STP and the other day, he mentioned that he saw the Caledonian Sleeper leaving St Pancras. I thought he was confusing the stations, but he sent me this video, where it's being overtaken by a 395, and now I'm confused. Where was it going/coming from? Surely not St Pancras, right?
View attachment 656807ec85e542f48a888fd95b81e118.mp4

modernrail

I have a question - it may be a dumb one. My friend lives between KX and STP and the other day, he mentioned that he saw the Caledonian Sleeper leaving St Pancras. I thought he was confusing the stations, but he sent me this video, where it's being overtaken by a 395, and now I'm confused. Where was it going/coming from? Surely not St Pancras, right?
View attachment 155765
Is it using the new connection between HS2 and HS1? ;)