• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we ditch the culinary discussion surrounding how you should cook sausages and get back to talking about the Caledonian Sleeper please. :)

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If anyone follows Simon Wilson on YouTube he's just made a video travelling from Edinburgh on the sleeper, even got taken to vaults below Waverley Station!

Overnight On Luxury British Sleeper Train / Simon Wilson

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Does anybody know anyone who has actually used the shower in their Club Cabin? We didn’t as it seemed like it would get everywhere soaked. The male writer of the one review I read didn’t use it either, and having had the option I don’t blame him!

D6130

Established Member
Does anybody know anyone who has actually used the shower in their Club Cabin? We didn’t as it seemed like it would get everywhere soaked. The male writer of the one review I read didn’t use it either, and having had the option I don’t blame him!
I used it last September with no problems whatsoever....unlike our last journey on the Thello sleeper from Paris to Venice in May 2019, when it flooded the cabin and soaked our shoes and luggage!

trainophile

Established Member
I used it last September with no problems whatsoever....unlike our last journey on the Thello sleeper from Paris to Venice in May 2019, when it flooded the cabin and soaked our shoes and luggage!
Oh that’s interesting. Your Europe experience was just what we anticipated on the Cal Sleeper if we’d tried.

Presumably you sit on the shelf that covers the toilet - there’s no headroom to have a standing up wash?

trainophile

Established Member
Must admit while I can see the benefits of an en-suite loo (for #1 only unless the ventilation is very good!) I'd prefer a larger shared shower at each end.
I agree. A toilet along with the washbasin within your private accommodation would be perfectly adequate. Especially as most if not all the destinations have shower facilities available. You might get a bit more moving around room too.

alholmes

I’ve used it, no problem at all. Water pressure was ok, and water temperature was hot enough. The shower area soon dried up, so getting everywhere soaked wasn’t a problem.

endecotp

I did. No problems.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I've used them three or four times. Water was a bit cold on the first trip, but no problems on the others.
The floor does seem to dry out quite quickly
I have heard of them running out of water as the tanks are shared between adjacent compartments (for obvious reasons the supply is limited).
Whether you sit on the shelf or stand up is a matter of choice (and possibly height, although at 5'9" I managed standing up - and of cousre if hyou're sittingh down there are parts that the water won't reach.....), but the shelf does have to be lowered unless you want the loo seat and, more importantky, the loo roll, to get soaked.

trebor79

Established Member
I used it. Water pressure was fine but the water was stone cold. Well, it was refreshing after a fitful night's sleep!
Want long after the new stock came into use and there were still lots of teething problems.

Established Member
Just North of Tring and the TM has just made an announcement saying we're on approach to London Euston. Seems a bit premature?

He did say rooms to be vacated by 8AM though, but needless to say in the seats people are already packing stuff away based on that announcement.

Class15

On Moderation
Just North of Tring and the TM has just made an announcement saying we're on approach to London Euston. Seems a bit premature?

He did say rooms to be vacated by 8AM though, but needless to say in the seats people are already packing stuff away based on that announcement.
That’s not so ridiculous, Tring is 30 (?) minutes from Euston so if people have unpacked a lot, maybe. But I would put the announcement around Bushey.

ajrm

I agree. A toilet along with the washbasin within your private accommodation would be perfectly adequate. Especially as most if not all the destinations have shower facilities available. You might get a bit more moving around room too.
Some hope! There's about as much space in the new shower facilities at Euston as there is in the cabin shower, unless you use the accessible one. The ensuite shower is a godsend especially if you are in a rush on arrival as it saves the hassle of dressing in last night's clothes and packing, alighting the train then unpacking and undressing again... instead you leave the train fresh and ready to go.

trainophile

Established Member
Haha I actually meant there would be a bit more room in your cabin if they reduced the width of the shower/toilet “cupboard”. Granted not a lot though!

I had a strip wash at the sink, I always bring a flannel and a plastic mug for hair rinsing. It’s not the easiest operation but as you’re departing anyway and the room will be housekept it doesn’t matter if a bit of water gets splashed around.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Some hope! There's about as much space in the new shower facilities at Euston as there is in the cabin shower, unless you use the accessible one. The ensuite shower is a godsend especially if you are in a rush on arrival as it saves the hassle of dressing in last night's clothes and packing, alighting the train then unpacking and undressing again... instead you leave the train fresh and ready to go.

It's quite disappointing if they've really just used "lowest common denominator" cheap standard 760mm cubicles at Euston. It's meant to be a premium service, they could have at least used 800mm which makes quite a difference, ideally 900.

It's not a cheap campsite.

H&I

Must admit while I can see the benefits of an en-suite loo (for #1 only unless the ventilation is very good!) I'd prefer a larger shared shower at each end.

I would reconsider travelling on the Caledonian Sleeper if I had to share a shower with strangers. I much prefer having an en-suite shower cabin.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
That’s not so ridiculous, Tring is 30 (?) minutes from Euston so if people have unpacked a lot, maybe. But I would put the announcement around Bushey.
Indeed, they might still be in bed! Given the logistics of both occupants getting dressed and packed in a twin-berth cabin without coming to blows, 40 minutes does not seem unreasonable.

Established Member
Indeed, they might still be in bed! Given the logistics of both occupants getting dressed and packed in a twin-berth cabin without coming to blows, 40 minutes does not seem unreasonable.
I'd agree were it nor for the fact that every time I've been in a room on the Sleeper, I've had a knock to say we're 30 minutes from Euston/Highland destination of choice. With one exception, and that was because I was sat in the club car en route to Fort William.

But for a train wide announcement? No.

Announce that we're 30 minutes away, by all means, but not "final approach".

greyman42

Established Member
Some people are simply hopeless when they wake up and will need this time to sort themselves out.

The Puddock

I'd agree were it nor for the fact that every time I've been in a room on the Sleeper, I've had a knock to say we're 30 minutes from Euston/Highland destination of choice. With one exception, and that was because I was sat in the club car en route to Fort William.

But for a train wide announcement? No.

Announce that we're 30 minutes away, by all means, but not "final approach".
Sorry for referencing Northlink Ferries on this thread again (it's the closest comparison I can think of to the sleeper and I travel with them far more frequently these days that I do with CS) but they make a very loud announcement to all cabins and public areas on the boat a full hour before it arrives. However I think this is motivated by wanting to get as many passengers into the restaurant for breakfast as much as it is the desire for everyone to get off as quickly as possible.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think the problem with shared showers is that everyone will want to use them at about the same time.

Sorry for referencing Northlink Ferries on this thread again (it's the closest comparison I can think of to the sleeper and I travel with them far more frequently these days that I do with CS) but they make a very loud announcement to all cabins and public areas on the boat a full hour before it arrives. However I think this is motivated by wanting to get as many passengers into the restaurant for breakfast as much as it is the desire for everyone to get off as quickly as possible.
Similar announcements in the early morning on the Harwich-Hoek ferry - preceded by an excessively jolly Dutch sea-shanty

Trainbike46

Established Member
Similar announcements in the early morning on the Harwich-Hoek ferry - preceded by an excessively jolly Dutch sea-shanty
Similar announcements on Birkenhead-Belfast ferries - at 5:45 am, 45 minutes before arrival at 6:30. They repeat it at 6 am.