• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

trebor79

Established Member
Is Caledonian Sleeper potentially stuck in a situation where it has sold tickets on the basis of distancing for the next twelve months and would be breaking that agreement if they went back to full capacity? If so, they might not be able to change it for a while.
Wouldn't have thought there's any contractual commitment there. They haven't defined "reduced capacity", and they say they are following government guidelines, so if those guidelines change then so can their policy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

becky_rtw

Interested in the cold shower comments as both my recent journeys a few weeks ago I couldnt get the hot water to work. I had a cold shower on the way back to London after hiking all day as the showers were shut in FT lounge (COVID related no doubt, as were the lounge capacity limits).

I've used the Aberdeen sleeper before, so I was surprised at how bad the experience was, particularly on the way up where we were in an end berth and it was crazy noisy from some water tank and the alarm/comms system in the galley next door.

Breakfast was also much worse than I remember. Instant coffee bluergh.

Still better than flying, but I will be thinking hard before spending that amount again. It definitely felt like very poor value for money.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Still better than flying, but I will be thinking hard before spending that amount again. It definitely felt like very poor value for money.
Agreed. Given that they aren’t giving discounts with my 26-30 railcard it’ll probably become a once or twice per year treat for me now, particularly given that there are so many little things they still can’t get right. I used to use it 4-6 times a year when the prices were a bit more reasonable, so it’s a shame.

Steve Harris

I fear it's straying off topic but that is in no way a clue as to whether the business is functioning. Whilst many do say 2021 there are a huge amount that either have an out of date year*, a simple copyright footer with no year or no copyright footer at all!

*You are posting on one right now.

Well IF it is functioning, a 6 year out of date website doesn't really instil customer confidence (at least in me, as if they can't be bothered on keeping a website up to date how bothered are they in keeping their customers happy ?) Of course 1 year out of date can be a simple oversight (although 8 months in it really should of been changed).

Although saying that, CS's website is up to date yet there is a big difference between what the website says and what is actually offered especially if your travelling to/from Aberdeen right now.

trek

Looking at booking engines, it remains not possible to buy a ticket for day travel on the seated portions.

Moreover, there remains reduced capacity.

I note that Scotrail has abandoned 'social distancing.
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/bus...al-distancing-onboard-all-trains-in-scotland/

Is Caledonian Sleeper potentially stuck in a situation where it has sold tickets on the basis of distancing for the next twelve months and would be breaking that agreement if they went back to full capacity? If so, they might not be able to change it for a while.

Yes it's shown as "set down only" until December timetable change but the hope is it will change sooner.

My trip's not until late September but it would be good to see some indications it's actually going to be brought back as it makes any days out along the West Highland line very short without.

MrEd

Well IF it is functioning, a 6 year out of date website doesn't really instil customer confidence (at least in me, as if they can't be bothered on keeping a website up to date how bothered are they in keeping their customers happy ?) Of course 1 year out of date can be a simple oversight (although 8 months in it really should of been changed).

Although saying that, CS's website is up to date yet there is a big difference between what the website says and what is actually offered especially if your travelling to/from Aberdeen right now.
Interestingly, if you look at the ‘sleeper experience’ section and look at the club car page it still suggests that the club car is closed, and does not show any menus. It all seems a little slipshod.

Does anyone have a current (as of Aug 2021) club car menu?

JonathanH

Veteran Member

alangla

ScotRail’s Twitter feed seems to have been busy last night (and seems to have stayed on till about 4am) some sort of police incident around Waverley involving the power being turned off and a broken down train around Haymarket where passengers refused to leave and BTP had to be involved. It looks from RTT like the sleepers were looped at Newbridge, Linlithgow etc to sit it out. Appears ScotRail may have run some extra services in the early hours that aren’t on RTT plus I imagine congestion at Waverley will have been horrendous. Friday night during the festival, great time for that sort of incident.

Falcon1200

Established Member
1M16 2045 Inverness-Euston was on time to Linlithgow.... Currently still in Scotland, 300L at Elvanfoot (between Carstairs and Beattock). Looks like another horrendous night for passengers and staff in the Edinburgh area.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Someone jumped/fell off the bridge above Waverley station landing on the roof and had to be rescued. All power to the OHL was turned off while a rescue effort was carried out.

Apparently there was also a ScotRail service that failed near Slateford as well that caused further delays.

Established Member
Lners 1S30, 1S31 and 1S32 all moved forward from Drem to Waverley using there 1 Generator Units.

On Moderation
1M16 eventually terminated at Watford Junction 293 late. Stock gone forward as 5M16 to Wembley depot.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
This question might have been answered previously but the thread is 357 pages long...

Is there a reason why the Highland sleeper has a public timetable departure at Preston of 00:30 but according to the WTT isn't even due to arrive until 00:49, and depart at 00:58?

peteb

According to RTT 1M16 2045 Inverness and Fort William to Watford Junction (where it arrived at 1234) was cancelled between WJ and Euston due to trespass. But no evidence of trespass at Watford delaying anything else so CS couldn't even deliver passengers to Euston after all that delay in Scotland!!!! Appalling.......although maybe folks had decamped at Crewe for an earlier arrival and the train was by then a marie-celeste service?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Probably due to the earlier incident in Scotland which did involve trespass and royalled f’d things up last night, you can’t expect the staff to work 18 hour shifts, plus the stock may need moving, etc. There may have also been no platform available at EUS, and I’m sure CS wouldn’t have terminated at WFJ unless they had to.

najaB

Veteran Member
This question might have been answered previously but the thread is 357 pages long...

Is there a reason why the Highland sleeper has a public timetable departure at Preston of 00:30 but according to the WTT isn't even due to arrive until 00:49, and depart at 00:58?
I can only assume it is so that any passengers are there on time?
According to RTT 1M16 2045 Inverness and Fort William to Watford Junction (where it arrived at 1234) was cancelled between WJ and Euston due to trespass. But no evidence of trespass at Watford delaying anything else so CS couldn't even deliver passengers to Euston after all that delay in Scotland!!!!
The cause of the delay in Scotland was trespass, so the attribution was correct, IMO.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It can arrive 30 minutes “early” given a clear run, ie 00:30, and thus can pick up and depart at that time as that’s what advertised to passengers. A later advertised departure time would mean needing to wait.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
According to RTT 1M16 2045 Inverness and Fort William to Watford Junction (where it arrived at 1234) was cancelled between WJ and Euston due to trespass. But no evidence of trespass at Watford delaying anything else so CS couldn't even deliver passengers to Euston after all that delay in Scotland!!!! Appalling.......although maybe folks had decamped at Crewe for an earlier arrival and the train was by then a marie-celeste service?
By 1234 I'm not sure it really matters whether you are deposited at Watford or Euston so long as there is a connection to Euston shortly after.

Not really appalling - the circumstances were outside the control of Caledonian Sleeper. I'd assume that the driver booked to take a locomotive into Euston and bring the stock back to Wembley is simply out of hours.