• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Blindtraveler

Established Member
So much for "the hotel on wheels".
Whilst I absolutely 100% agree with you, don't say it too loudly as still accusing it of being a hotel on wheels, which it undoubtedly is to my way of thinking seems to badly affect the blood pressure of some people on this thread

The quality of the lounge car breakfast versus the quality of the seated passenger bacon rolls, of which I don't imagine they sell all that many apart from on the longer distance Highland services where breakfast is far more of a priority due to arrival time is so stark but again it could be more obvious that any seated passenger is most definitely an unwanted nuisance third class on that train. Don't know what the purchase of all bacon roll or other breakfast options that those in classic rooms can purchase our like, I assume the same stuff?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
So much for "the hotel on wheels".
Indeed
+
It hasn’t been advertised as a hotel on wheels for several years.
Ah well there is a thing. For all those who think marketing is a waste of money here is the proof that it is not (normally) a waste and also how effective it is. That marketing of Caledonian Sleeper as a hotel on wheels has stuck in many peoples minds for a long time. That shows how effective marketing is.

But there is a need to stick to what you say !. CS cannot really promise something and then change their minds later without perhaps clearly/explicitly advertising that it is no longer a "Hotel on Wheels". It is like the incorrect newspaper stories that can appear anywhere including the front page. The subsequent correction is always in fairly small print and NEVER on the front page !.

I would rather like to think of CS as a hotel on wheels btw. Given the cost it makes sense too. Perhaps with a little bit more cost CS could relax and bask in the glory of what they once promised and people still remember ?. In realty the trains are fairly full so the current marketing must be attracting a lot of one off travellers - tourists. The subsequent conversation about who the CS service should be meant for has been done to death.

JamieL

Whilst I absolutely 100% agree with you, don't say it too loudly as still accusing it of being a hotel on wheels, which it undoubtedly is to my way of thinking seems to badly affect the blood pressure of some people on this thread
Perhaps because it is misrepresenting what the CS actually is? When challenged, the only reference anyone can find to "hotel" in official literature is in reference to Club cabins only as a "hotel experience". And that is clearly relating to the features of Club (towels, toiletries, ensuite, lounge access etc). No other reference is made in the official publications - instead it is labelled a "unique way" to travel. And it is exactly that. Far too many here waxing about unrealistic expectations based on a spurious "hotel" metric when the CS is first and foremost a train. And one of the best services on the rail network at that.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It's quite interesting because when the new stock first came along the entire train as far as cabins were concerned was a hotel experience on rails and presumably now somebody sufficiently big enough and loud enough has come along and told them to tone it down slightly as the classic accommodation whilst I'm told very good he's certainly more of a hostel then a Hilton

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have fond memories of the BR bacon roll that used to be served on the southbound Highland Chieftain; it was a ritual of mine to eat it as my breakfast whilst looking out of the droplight window as we headed up to Slochd summit. It was slightly soggy and the roll was a bit chewy but that's just what a railway bacon roll was and should be.

You must have been very heavily delayed to be having breakfast on the southbound ascending Slochd!

Unless you were having that morning’s leftovers for supper, in which case its no wonder it was soggy.

Davester50

Well predicted...

marks87

Established Member
Microwaved bacon rolls are always horrible. They do have the equipment to grill bacon from scratch in the lounge car kitchen but for some reason they persist with microwaving pre-cooked stuff instead.
Reheating pre-cooked bacon in a microwave isn’t actually that bad, provided it’s done properly (and cooked well in the first place).

But the roll (or any bread for that matter) should never see the inside of a microwave. Even the softest of morning rolls will come out like a Rustler’s burger bun.

Iskra

Established Member
I've just had a message through for my journey tomorrow night in the seated section, telling me that I'll be required to alight and change carriages at 0400 at Edinburgh to continue to Aberdeen. This is a known and recurring phenomenon, that can't be popular with passengers, so why don't they tell you at the time of booking, rather than the day before and knock £10 off this leg for the inconvenience? If people knew this at the time of booking they could make an informed decision whether this is the right option for them. Telling people the day before after they have made other plans around their journey is just going to get people's backs up and have them turning-up pre-disposed to be negative due to the perceived disruption.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That isn't meant to be how it works, you normally have to do so for Fort William, not Aberdeen. Are they for some reason sending the Fort William lounge and seated car to Aberdeen and sending the through one to FW?

Iskra

Established Member
That isn't meant to be how it works, you normally have to do so for Fort William, not Aberdeen. Are they for some reason sending the Fort William lounge and seated car to Aberdeen and sending the through one to FW?
Ah, that makes sense as last year in the berths from Fort William I met an annoyed cyclist who had to move his bike at Edinburgh at 3am. So the point about prior-communication still stands.

I presume this disruption is due to stock being checked for cracks?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah, that makes sense as last year in the berths from Fort William I met an annoyed cyclist who had to move his bike at Edinburgh at 3am. So the point about prior-communication still stands.

It would save one pair of coaches if you shunted the Aberdeen one on at Edinburgh as well as the FW one, so it could be.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

I suppose on the occasions when most of the seated passengers are going to Fort William it could be argued that it makes sense to send the two extra non-sleeping coaches to Aberdeen and let Fort William get the through coaches. That would inconvenience fewer people but is not much advance notice.

On the other hand it may be that both portions are getting a fresh seated coach at Edinburgh if the through coach meant for Aberdeen has a fault not discovered until the Southbound the night before.

BRX

Established Member
They do tell you, when booking a seat to fort William, that you'll need to "change trains".

Established Member
They do tell you, when booking a seat to fort William, that you'll need to "change trains".
Which of course, may not be something a cyclist is doing.

It is made very clear when booking a seat, I quite agree.

Class800

Established Member
I've just had a message through for my journey tomorrow night in the seated section, telling me that I'll be required to alight and change carriages at 0400 at Edinburgh to continue to Aberdeen. This is a known and recurring phenomenon, that can't be popular with passengers, so why don't they tell you at the time of booking, rather than the day before and knock £10 off this leg for the inconvenience? If people knew this at the time of booking they could make an informed decision whether this is the right option for them. Telling people the day before after they have made other plans around their journey is just going to get people's backs up and have them turning-up pre-disposed to be negative due to the perceived disruption.
If you tell people they won't book?

SussexSeagull

Video review of Euston to Fort William by the excellent Mark Swain on his Let's Make A Trip YouTube channel. Not exactly allowing review but at leat Customer Service redeemed the situation to an extent.

Class800

Established Member
Doesn’t tell you when indeed
“Please be aware that you must move your bike between carriages at Edinburgh.”
That refers to bikes and wasn't in the picture the person showed - the information is available elsewhere in a less prominent place on the website

alistairlees

Established Member
Here's the review page for a seat to Fort William. The description of the change at Edinburgh is right in front of you

(image shows legs of journey shown as "21.15 London Euston to Edinburgh 03.48", and "Edinburgh 04.50 to Fort William 10.00", with "You must change from one carriage to another at Edinburgh" between the two legs.)

1708369121425.png

Struner

bThat refers to bikes and wasn't in the picture the person showed - the information is available elsewhere in a less prominent place on the website
was replying with this in mind #15703 & #15710:
How will a cabin travelling cyclist know at what time he will have to change trains at Edinburgh before booking?