• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

can public transport ever recover from COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

I also haven't seen much evidence of TOCs trying to encourage people back. Some are being less hostile than they were previously (e.g. Northern), but some (XC) are sitll making it such hassle to travel that many won't bother.

I notice XC are still running their once an hour BHM - LEI service, with an alternate extension to Cambridge. I must admit, I won't use XC whilst I can drive to Nuneaton and jump on an WMT service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Apparently Chiltern kicked a load of schoolkids off one their services this morning between Dorridge and Leamington (presumably at Warwick?) as it was too crowded and they had to wait an hour for the next one. What a complete farce.

crablab

LNER have appear to have turned on their at seat reservation system again, on the Azumas.

This has been disabled for a long time (presumably because it shows unoccupied seats as "available", as opposed to "out of use due to social distancing").

Bikeman78

Established Member
I know I keep repeating myself but lifts lifts lifts.
In the cities most offices rely on lifts, if social distancing says you can only get low single fingers in each lift how are you going to get everyone in and out? A bigger problem than trains because it is enforceable, so the employer/building manager will have to enforce it. I haven’t heard whether anyone is researching the risk - very short journeys vs proximity and limited ventilation.
ps I was wondering about fire evacuation tests - you legally have to do them, but they are about as non-distanced as you can get!
That's most of New York City stuffed then!

Meerkat

Established Member
Someone will have to make a call that a few minutes with masks on in a lift is an acceptable risk.
seeing as I still haven’t seen any reliable evidence of aerosol transmission (Just specific ‘well how else’ examples, and theoretical lab work) this must surely be possible?
Obviously you would need a protocol for those who can’t wear masks, but in an office scenario they could have special badges and get a clear ride (or just WFH on a proven medical exemption)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
LNER have appear to have turned on their at seat reservation system again, on the Azumas.

When I did my Rail Rover in the first week of August, it was on roughly a third of the time, i.e. about one train in every three that I took.

Are you saying it's now switched on generally?

crablab

Are you saying it's now switched on generally?

No - only the train I've taken today had it turned on. All the others I've taken (fairly regulaly) over the last few months had it turned off and announcements to the effect that the system couldn't cope with how they were doing the reservations...

Darandio

Established Member
Can public transport ever recover from Covid-19?

Not if displays like today continue, as I was walking on the other side of the road it was the first time i'd seen a bus sail straight past people waiting at a bus stop with 'Bus Full - Social Distancing' on the front display. Except as it came towards me and slowed for the level crossing I could see it clearly wasn't full, I counted 8 people and 5 full rows at the back were completely empty.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
No - only the train I've taken today had it turned on. All the others I've taken (fairly regulaly) over the last few months had it turned off and announcements to the effect that the system couldn't cope with how they were doing the reservations...

I think it doesn't update if someone makes a reservation joining at an intermediate station after the train has departed the origin move.

So people may move to an 'Available' seat to find that it isn't available when somebody comes to claim it later.

route101

Established Member
I think it doesn't update if someone makes a reservation joining at an intermediate station after the train has departed the origin move.

So people may move to an 'Available' seat to find that it isn't available when somebody comes to claim it later.

Bit like XC!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If reservations are compulsory it doesn't overly matter because you sit in your reserved seat and don't get to complain if you sit elsewhere and someone else tells you to shift, though.

crablab

It's a minor inconvenience having to retrieve your phone to double check your seat (whilst faffing with a bag), being unable to confirm by looking at the reservation displayed on the screen.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It's a minor inconvenience having to retrieve your phone to double check your seat (whilst faffing with a bag), being unable to confirm by looking at the reservation displayed on the screen.

The screens are also handy for easily resolving the "you're sitting in my seat" disputes.

Does strike me as an oversight in a new train that they can't be updated in realtime, unless the issue lies with the station reservation systems.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Apparently Chiltern kicked a load of schoolkids off one their services this morning between Dorridge and Leamington (presumably at Warwick?) as it was too crowded and they had to wait an hour for the next one. What a complete farce.
Utterly Disgraceful! What did that achieve? I dispair at the total stupidity exhibited in this country.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Utterly Disgraceful! What did that achieve? I dispair at the total stupidity exhibited in this country.

Its typical of this country at the moment, insisting people do something but putting up barriers in their way to make it as hard as possible to do it!

david1212

Established Member

Unless one of the services that called at Lapworth or Hatton, but then the wait may have been more than an hour, the next station would be Warwick Parkway. The distance to Leamington is about 4 miles. If a service that then stopped at Warwick ( Town ) still only a few minutes to Leamington so on the surface pointless. Warwick ( Town ) to Leamington station is about 2.5 miles. Depending where the children were going maybe less than 2.5 miles to there.

I wonder if the issue was the number of passengers waiting to join the train ? Might a more reasonable approach have been to ask all the schoolchildren to stand in groups for the remainder of their journey ?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes i know though over 2 miles is a decent hike, and you have to know which way to go! It wasn't clear from the various complaints online where the kids were left, possibly at Dorridge itself. They boarded and then were told to get off.

But anyway it seems to me that continuing to restrict passenger levels on public transport *and* encouraging everyone to go back to their commutes and school is not going to work...

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Yes i know though over 2 miles is a decent hike, and you have to know which way to go! It wasn't clear from the various complaints online where the kids were left, possibly at Dorridge itself. They boarded and then were told to get off.

But anyway it seems to me that continuing to restrict passenger levels on public transport *and* encouraging everyone to go back to their commutes and school is not going to work...
If these children did wait for the next train, wouldn’t it be highly likely that they would face the same ‘too crowded’ issue on the next service, too?

david1212

Established Member

Most if not all would have a phone with internet so could soon find where they were and the way to where they needed to get to. That doesn't of course make the action taken any more justifiable.

The only way to control capacity is a booking system that even where no system to allocate specific seats limits the total numbers e.g. for trains and buses with 2+2 seating only allow one person per row so 25%. For daily travel though not simply not realistic plus how is excess demand managed ?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Most if not all would have a phone with internet so could soon find where they were and the way to where they needed to get to. That doesn't of course make the action taken any more justifiable.

That part of the world has plenty of country roads not very suited for pedestrians...

david1212

Established Member
That part of the world has plenty of country roads not very suited for pedestrians...
Warwick ( Town ) to Leamington is urban to the point where but for the signs you would not know where one ended and the other started.
From Warwick Parkway there is a footpath too but then over an hour walk to Leamington station or the town centre. Yes Lapworth and Hatton are rural and totally unsuitable places to evict any passengers from a train due to overcrowding.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I'm going to venture the opinion, from experience in my own youth, that the schoolkids were happy to wait and miss the first lesson, and that it's the parents that were up in arms. So they might have known what to do but chosen not to do it.

telstarbox

Established Member
Here's the latest graph. Usage still hasn't broken through 40% of 2019 values.
(The last day is 31 August, a Bank Holiday which may explain the significant drop at the end.)

1599755313053.png

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
The amount of tickets I've been flogging on board to surprised passengers expect a spike shortly :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It would be interesting to see the above graph broken down by business sector.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Warwick ( Town ) to Leamington is urban to the point where but for the signs you would not know where one ended and the other started.
From Warwick Parkway there is a footpath too but then over an hour walk to Leamington station or the town centre. Yes Lapworth and Hatton are rural and totally unsuitable places to evict any passengers from a train due to overcrowding.
But at least you can shuttle back and forth between the two for just 44.9p per day if you buy an annual season ;)

bramling

Veteran Member
The amount of tickets I've been flogging on board to surprised passengers expect a spike shortly :lol:

Trouble is a full load on a Sprinter or two doesn’t make up for all those London commuters. Car park at my local station, normally bursting at the seams on a weekday, still only a handful of cars - very little increase over June, July and August, and still doesn’t seem to be progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.