• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancelled due to too many passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

philthetube

Established Member
Could a train full of standees be too heavy?
Pendelinos can be too heavy to tilt and then have their max speed reduced.

On Corsica 20 years ago they used to operate one car trains, these were oftern rammed and the driver had absolutely no protection from passengers, (there was not a cab at all) just a sear om the centre of the car, the best seat on the train was the rear drivers seat, if you imagine a flexity tram with the cab wall taken out that gives an idea.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

seagull

I was on a Class 158 which actually failed and needed to be rescued (1+ hour delay caused) by being "too heavy". The extreme full and standing load of passengers, on a hot summer day, and a signal stop on the gradient up into into Wolverhampton station, meant the engines, already very hot, both reverted to idle in seconds after power was applied and no forward movement was therefore possible.

(The reverting to idle being a feature of some multiple unit engines that helps protect the engine against overheating)

wobman

On Moderation
I was on a Class 158 which actually failed and needed to be rescued (1+ hour delay caused) by being "too heavy". The extreme full and standing load of passengers, on a hot summer day, and a signal stop on the gradient up into into Wolverhampton station, meant the engines, already very hot, both reverted to idle in seconds after power was applied and no forward movement was therefore possible.

(The reverting to idle being a feature of some multiple unit engines that helps protect the engine against overheating)
It doesn't help that 158's don't like any form of heat and the air con fails every summer, this week is going to be fun with high temperatures and kids holidays.

topydre

I haven't witnessed a 158 actually failing due to weight, but at the end of university term once there were huge numbers of us on the ex-Aberystwyth portion (storing luggage was also a bit like jenga and the cupboard-type space that was normally used for bicycles was commandeered) and I remember hearing the engines really struggling to get up Talerddig. We made it though!

contrex

Not the cab exactly, but when I was a commuter on the SR it was perfectly normal in the peaks for standing passengers to cram into guards' brakes on EPBs and SUBs. Front brake very handy for exiting at the teminus.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Same as travelling ‘pass’.

I might be wrong but I always understood "on the cushions" to mean steam loco crew who took a rest break in the coach behind the loco? On A4 (Mallard type) locomotives on the East Coast main line they accessed the coach via a corridor inside the tender.

wobman

On Moderation
I might be wrong but I always understood "on the cushions" to mean steam loco crew who took a rest break in the coach behind the loco? On A4 (Mallard type) locomotives on the East Coast main line they accessed the coach via a corridor inside the tender.
It's just travelling PAO

dk1

Veteran Member
I've never heard that one. Just know it as going from A to B in the train rather than driving.

Sleepy

Established Member
Not the cab exactly, but when I was a commuter on the SR it was perfectly normal in the peaks for standing passengers to cram into guards' brakes on EPBs and SUBs. Front brake very handy for exiting at the teminus.
Also normal in peaks on Wickford - Southminster DMU's back in the day.

londonbridge

Established Member
To save starting another thread, was at East Croydon earlier this morning, the 07:23 Thameslink to Brighton was cancelled due to passengers causing a disturbance on the train, anyone know what happened?

DorkingMain

To save starting another thread, was at East Croydon earlier this morning, the 07:23 Thameslink to Brighton was cancelled due to passengers causing a disturbance on the train, anyone know what happened?
9T88 (inbound working) was turned back at Three Bridges after ending up about 30L, so it was started from Haywards Heath.

Don't know the exact details but believe someone had to be removed after smoking on the train and setting the fire alarm off.

Sleepy

Established Member
Did those get busy in the peaks?
Yes from memory, leaving Wickford in evening 3 car + 2 car it was normal to have standees in guards van as far as Woodham Ferrers at least (would 2nd member of staff be required in addition to the guard as remember Burnham on Crouch ticket office staff being on board ?) Bear in mind pre- Covid 12 car operation was deemed necessary to introduce but I've no idea of housing expansion on route since I lived there in early 80's. Another claim to fame was the need to re-introduce guards on the line after a number of years of DOO operation due to 12 car workings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.