• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Central Possibilities

Anonymous10

Established Member
True, but if that 'same type' was LHCS with first class it would still not have occurred. The issue is having too small a subfleet so it could only run Swansea-Manchester at a reduced frequency and someone, somewhere, unfortunately decided that providing a high-quality service every two hours between Cardiff and Manchester was more important than between Swansea and Manchester every three hours. More mark 4 sets, allowing the first class service to run through to Swansea at least every two hours (prefrably enough to run it hourly), would have resolved the issue.

So, the big question is - is there a way to make the GWML fit for the future without extending platform 0?
Is there anything inherently wrong with gwml running through plat 1 and 2, plat 3 and 4 can also handle the gwml.

I do wonder if plat 0 should take the terminators. with the stoppers on plat 1 and 4 and the gwml to London using plat 2 and 3 along with a few trains in the gaps.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caaardiff

More mark 4 sets, allowing the first class service to run through to Swansea at least every two hours (prefrably enough to run it hourly), would have resolved the issue.
Using a loco with longer fuel range would have solved the issue. Currently the range only allows one trip to include Swansea.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
So, the big question is - is there a way to make the GWML fit for the future without extending platform 0?
From an outsiders perspective, I am not sure there is.

Can't easily disentangle the freights without trying to force a fifth track through so the freight operators can have a single track railway to themselves on the south side of the line.
As the line is electrified you might be better off having the passenger trains share, if you can order some relatively high performance EMUs for the stoppers.

If you wanted a bay platform you might be able to do a Nottingham-style step out to use one of the through roads as a platform line, but I'm not sure that really helps much.
The stations design really has created a bit of a pickle.

anthony263

Established Member
The number of terminators from the east of Cardiff isn't helping the situation. I think we should have gone for a 67 to Manchester every 3 hours I stead of 2 with all services running to swansea proving a deal could be done for 67s to be re filed between trips at Landore while service layover at swansea. This could work but you'd need to make sure the 67 is at the Manchester/Cardiff end of the trains at swansea to easily uncouple them. Maybe have 67s being swapped over at swansea.

Could look at extending services west of Cardiff. Sewta proposed this when they were looking at options for reopening the line to Beddau although cheaper to do it as a branch to pontyclun the Welsh government want to reopen the line to Fairwater instead

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Using a loco with longer fuel range would have solved the issue. Currently the range only allows one trip to include Swansea.
Seriously? I know it has been said that the 67s have poor fuel economy, but my understanding is that there is no fuel point in Carmarthen and yet the 175s (and presumably most if not all the other DMUs inheritted from ATW) could do two full day diagrams between visits to a fuelling point (eg. start Chester one morning, Carmarthen the next before finally finishing up at a fuel point at the end of the second day). If a 67 really cannot even manage one full day diagram then that sounds like seriously bad fuel economy.

Is there anything inherently wrong with gwml running through plat 1 and 2, plat 3 and 4 can also handle the gwml.
Capacity for future services, there's a bit of discussion about it in Network Rail's Welsh Route Study (this is a draft version - anyone have a link to the final one?). The gist of it seems to be that the traditional approach of using platforms 3 & 4 for westbound services and 0-2 for eastbound requires terminating services off the current mains to cross the path of freight trains twice (once on arrival and then again after reversal to cross to the other side of the station).

Network Rail's idea seems to be to get rid of the crossing moves by tying the northern group of platforms (0-2) to the northern pair of tracks (the current up main and down main) and the southern platforms (3 and 4) to the southern pair of tracks (the current releif lines). Platform 0 would be the primary platform for the 'up main', platform 2 the primary for the 'down main' and platform 1 would be used bi-directionally for anything on the 'mains' that arrives when it's normal platform is already occupied. For example, a Portsmouth to Cardiff train would arrive on platform 2 before shunting to platform 0 to go back east.

Also, I'm not clear whether the 16tph from Queen Street requires some sharing of platform 4 between GWML and Valleys services, which may mean that there won't be enough capacity to use platform 4 as the main westbound GWML platform in future. 6tph of stoppers (1tph from Ebbw Vale, 1tph Abertillery, 2tph Cheltenham and 2tph Bristol), which probably don't require as much time for cleaning etc. in the turnback sidings before returning, particularly if some of them run through to/from Maesteg and/or Swansea.

I do wonder if plat 0 should take the terminators. with the stoppers on plat 1 and 4 and the gwml to London using plat 2 and 3 along with a few trains in the gaps.
I suppose platform 0 could be treated as a bay platform in theory - if I recall correctly it was made bi-directional when the area was resignalled. However that idea would be incompatible with your other suggestion of putting the stoppers on platforms 1 and 4 (unless there is a grand total of zero terminating stoppers). More importantly, as long as there are still services from Paddington which start/terminate at Cardiff then these services would not be able to use platform 0 unless it is lengthened to take them, which brings us back to demolition of much of the main booking hall building. The illustrations of the proposed redevelopment* included in the above linked document show the clock tower but I'm not sure how this would be supported since to extend platform 0 much of the rest of the booking hall building is in the way and would have to go.

In theory, having the 'mains' in the middle of the formation with the up relief on one side and the down relief on the other (as indeed they are east of Bishton flyover) would work quite well for intermediate stations on a simple four-track line with no junctions branching off. If this could be done, and there wasn't (m)any trains terminating at Cardiff Central, your suggestion would probably work quite well for Cardiff Central itself but leave you with a mess of conflicting moves at all the various junctions between Cardiff and the Severn.

The future configuration of the four tracks east of Cardiff is something that needs to be decided soon, since the designers of the various new stations being planned between Cardiff and the Severn Tunnel (consultation runs to 14 January) need to know which tracks will be used for the stopping services in each direction, so they can put the new platforms in the appropriate places.

* I think that is the version of the proposals which saw all the platform buildings and canopies demolished and replaced with a Reading-style 'transfer deck' footbridge, I think there was another version somewhere else which kept the platform buildings but the clock tower seemed to have gone

Correct. Network Rail don't want a 260m platform length either.
How long do they want it then? Probably a fair bit longer than 260 metres? The wording used in the route study linked above is "extending Platform 0 into a full length facility for Intercity Express Programme (IEP) trains". A pair of 5-car IEP trains in multiple would be (nominally, at least) 10x26 metres long, so 260 metres is presumably the minimum they want. Moving InterCity services to what are currently the relief lines (and having them use platform 4 westbound and 3 eastbound) would avoid the need to get IETs onto platform 0, so avoiding the need to lengthen it for them. However, in that case platform 0 would presumably need to be used by 12-car class 387s on match day crowd buster shuttles to Newport; given the need to fill the entire train, use of Selective Door Openning might be an issue and a full-length platform could be required anyway.

The stations design really has created a bit of a pickle.
Other than just having 10 full-length platforms (six for the GWML, four for the ValleyLines) and no through roads without platforms I can't think of a design that would really suit the infrustructure (the mix of passenger branches to the north and freight facilities to the south is a pickle in itself, as wherever you put slows, fasts and freights you end up with either fasts stuck behind freights, fasts stuck behind stoppers and/or conflicting moves at junctions - and even with six GWML platforms the drop from four tracks to two west of Cardiff would still cause issues due to the need to turnback some services in Cardiff).

Meerkat

Established Member
Is it just a platform problem or also the throats?
The East throat seems to be some way from the platforms which would increase line blocking as trains come and go across it.
The West throat looks very old in layout and maybe optimised for a time of coal trains etc?
Would it help if Canton was rebuilt so the part nearer the main lines was mainly stabling sidings that trains from the East could quickly move into before awaiting a platform for a return trip?
Could you put a west facing bay behind platform 0 in the car park?

Caaardiff

Space is at a premium without a major redesign. There's bridges either side of the station with little scope for a bay platform to be added anywhere.
When looking at Google maps the only place there may be scope is next to platform 8 where there's currently some land and buildings, but not sure if it's railway land or part of the new development being built. Also not sure how long the platform would be.
Alternatively is the having a similar style platform 0 but on the opposite side. Not great for through trains but could be utilised as a terminating platform from the East as well as having Platform 0 from the West. Thus avoiding the need for shunting.

MarkyT

Established Member
Platform #0 as a full-length intercity platform is a great idea, but not by extending significantly at its east end which would require significant existential alterations to the historic main hall.

Here's how I would look at it.

The existing #0 is 100m long. Its access is via a public door in the west end wall of the main building at track level. Passengers walk alongside the track (fenced clearly) then up the east ramp onto the platform surface. If the access was moved back away from the track, the space occupied might be used for an east-end extension of about 40m. Modern standards don't require a ramp so the stopping point could be right at the west end of the main hall building. That gives us 140m so far, leaving ~130m to find to accomodate a 10 car 80x.

The river bridge isn't wide enough to accommodate a platform extension alongside the existing track across the entire river, which is what is required. The bridge deck narrows quite sharply from east to west. One idea might be to cantilever a lightweight platform structure out from the existing bridge where required, if the structure could take it*. This would just about give the length required before the railway must squeeze past some recent apartment developments on the west bank of the Taff. I'd go as wide as practical seeing as it's supposed to be the main eastbound intercity platform and might be ideal for rugby and other event specials. I'd also specify as much canopy as can be afforded. Fortunately there's plenty of space available at the east end for a wide platform and it's access arrangements, facilties and retail, right at the usual 1st class end using some of the small station car park land. The low rise west wing of the station frontage at ground level could be repurposed as an additional concourse area with access up to the redeveloped platform, to divert long-distance passengers entering from the street away from the existing crowded main hall.

A big advantage of the idea is the long overlap beyond the starting signal that could be available at the east end if the signal was moved back west to near the actual stopping point. That could allow the approach from the west to be speeded up significantly from the existing 30mph, but that would ideally have the curve in the platform ironed out, to an extent at least, which would help with platform-train interface design including stepping distance. There's some scope for such straightening wholly on the existing bridge, although that might require a longer length of cantilevered structure for sufficient width throughout of the new platform construction alongside.

Lengthening of platform #0 would also require the severing of the west crossing pointwork to line A, the northmost eastbound track approaching platform #0 from the west. As #0 would no longer be used typically by local trains, I assert this would not be much of a problem. For the rare occurrence of a diverted up GWR or TfW express approaching from the VOG instead of the main line, the train might be accommodated in one of the other platforms instead. Note Line A would effectively become the new 'Up Fast' for trains from the west so some minor rearrangements of points and signalling around Leckwith Loop Jn might be worth considering.

* - A cantilever is only one construction suggestion. The bridge might be widened in the same or similar materials as the original or an entirely self-standing structure might be built alongside for the platform, loosely tied to the bridge but having its own support pillars in the river as necessary. Perhaps part of it could be cantilevered, part self-supporting. Lots of detailed design possibilities.

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There's no aspiration to demolish the station building, nor build over the River Taff. Platform 0 will not be supporting 9*26m or 10*26m.
Have you some evidence for this? As I posted above there certainly was a clear aspiration to commit extensive demolition and to accomodate IEP trains on platform 0 in the draft Welsh Route Study. For something more recent, see here (TfW Cardiff Central Enhancements FAQ) under "Will enhancements to the station mean any improvements to train performance and reliability of services stopping at Cardiff Central station?" This clearly states that the "project will improve capacity at platform 0 to enable new, longer trains to use it". While the latter doesn't mention IEP trains, in the absense of any evidence stating otherwise I assume they are talking about the same plan.

Is it just a platform problem or also the throats?
The East throat seems to be some way from the platforms which would increase line blocking as trains come and go across it.
The West throat looks very old in layout and maybe optimised for a time of coal trains etc?
Would it help if Canton was rebuilt so the part nearer the main lines was mainly stabling sidings that trains from the East could quickly move into before awaiting a platform for a return trip?
Could you put a west facing bay behind platform 0 in the car park?
The impression I get from the route study (and the TfW link I posted above) is that it is a bit of everything - platform occupancy, passenger circulation/queuing space inside the station buildings, turnback sidings (both availability of and access to them) and maybe the throats. The existing passenger subway for access to/from platforms 1-8 is apparently congested at busy times for example, something at least one of the redevelopment proposals sought to address by demolishing all the platform buildings/canopies and replacing them with a footbridge to take some of the load off the subway. My own view on the passenger circulation issue (to avoid demolition of any heritage stuff) is either to widen the disabled-access subway (the one with the lifts)* and try to add stairs up from that in addition to the lifts or to add footbridges across both ends (from platform 0 to platform 8 at the west end and from the new bus station to platform 8 at the east end) beyond the heritage canopies. In addition I would suggest using the space currently occupied by the car park behind platform 0 to build a new retail unit and move the M&S store up from the ground floor into the new unit, allowing the space vacated by M&S to become a new queuing area for match days (and possibly a waiting room the rest of the time) and possibly some new toilet facilities to replace the crammped, seatless, toilet blocks in the platform buildings.

* not sure if this would be practical - are the tracks above essentially on a bridge with mostly empty space beneath or is it a solid embankment? I can see widening the subway being a non-starter in the latter case.
The river bridge isn't wide enough to accommodate a platform extension alongside the existing track across the entire river, which is what is required. The bridge deck narrows quite sharply from east to west.
As you say, the bridge over the Taff is wider at its eastern end - wide enough to accomodate a platform extension for a short distance (or at least it appears so in Google Earth). Using this (plus the 20 or metres gained at the other end by moving the access to avoid the need for a ramp) is how I arrived at my suggested 200 metre maximum in post #27. The attached Google Earth screenshot will hopefully clarify this.
1703795571912.png

Lengthening of platform #0 would also require the severing of the west crossing pointwork to line A, the northmost eastbound track approaching platform #0 from the west. As #0 would no longer be used typically by local trains, I assert this would not be much of a problem. For the rare occurrence of a diverted up GWR or TfW express approaching from the VOG instead of the main line, the train might be accommodated in one of the other platforms instead. Note Line A would effectively become the new 'Up Fast' for trains from the west so some minor rearrangements of points and signalling around Leckwith Loop Jn might be worth considering.
I have previously thought about extending platform 0 further back over the bridge as you suggest by widening the bridge. Having looked into it again now though I don't think the pointwork is just for access from the Vale Of Glamorgan but is also required for Canton Depot. If I'm right, this means TfW services which start from Cardiff would be unable to use platform 0 if coming off the depot. Not good, and together with the cost of widening the bridge (and possibly heritiage issues of its own - is the bridge over the Taff listed?) probably makes extending platform 0 any further west than the current bridge allows a non-starter. Which means no 12-car 387s or 9-car 800s, let alone 10-car, without SDO.

Can't easily disentangle the freights without trying to force a fifth track through so the freight operators can have a single track railway to themselves on the south side of the line.
Another option is that, instead of having 'main/fast' and 'relief/stopping' lines you try to split the line between Cardiff and Newport into two (effectively) seperate double-track mixed-traffic railways running side by side, one for traffic to/from the Ebbw Vale and Marches lines and the other for Severn Tunnel Junction (and beyond). It looks like there is space for 6 tracks (possibly more) around the site of the proposed 'Cardiff East' / 'Newport Road' station so these seperate mixed traffic railways could each become three trakcs at this point to provide some overtaking opportunities. Similarly there is a wider section around the junctions to Ebbw Vale (a little to the east for the proposed 'Newport West' station though).

As the line is electrified you might be better off having the passenger trains share, if you can order some relatively high performance EMUs for the stoppers.
Would you get much of a performance boost from replacing a with a bi-mode FLIRT (the only likely alternative to a DMU in the medium term for most of the stoppers, since Swansea, Maesteg, Cheltenham and Hereford are all unelectrified and we are still waiting for the Filton bank to be wired into Bristol Temple Meads)? The stoppers can't escape the deadweight of diesel engines and/or traction batteries yet.

If you wanted a bay platform you might be able to do a Nottingham-style step out to use one of the through roads as a platform line, but I'm not sure that really helps much.
I was just looking into this on Google Earth, but (as with platform 0) a Nottingham-style step would come up against another of the sub-issues of this multi-dimensional puzzle - providing capacity for international events at the stadium next door. I very much suspect that there is zero chance of providing any additional platform capable of taking a 12-car class 387 (let alone a 10-car class 800/802 formation) without sacrificing at least one of the many historically valuable elements of the listed building. While a Nottingham-style step at Cardiff Central could provide an additional platform, none of the current platforms are long enough to be split into two platforms of useful length.

However, I also noticed that, while there is not enough space to extend platform zero all the way across the Taff bridge, it looks like it might be possible to do so with platforms 3 and 4. That might just make these two long enough to be split into a 260 metre 'A' section at the east end (capable of taking a 10-car IET) and a 170 metre 'B' section (same as the proposed new stations between Cardiff and Severn Tunnel Junction and sufficient for a 7-car class 197 lashup or a pair of 231s I think). Google Earth screenshot highlighting the area of the possible platform extension follows:
1704328243507.png

Coupled with the short (non-destructive) extension of platform 0 I proposed above, this could provide the following for the GWML side of Cardiff Central:
  • Three 170 metre through platforms (0, 3b and 4b*)
  • One east-facing bay (about 260 metres long) platform (platform 3a)
  • Three long (at least 260 metres) through platforms (1, 2 and 4a*)
This might work quite well with the Burns Commission proposal for the southern pair of GWML tracks to become the 'express lines', since platform 3 is positioned south of the through tracks and thus might be good as a bay for the southern pair of GWML tracks (currently the releif lines), but useless if the London services (etc.) still need to use the northern pair.

* I would renumber one of these as platform 5, or make the new 'B' section platforms 5a and 5b leaving the current 3&4 as-is, given the tiles in the subway refer to a platform 5 that doesn't currently exist

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member
However, I also noticed that, while there is not enough space to extend platform zero all the way across the Taff bridge, it looks like it might be possible to do so with platforms 3 and 4. That might just make these two long enough to be split into a 260 metre 'A' section at the east end (capable of taking a 10-car IET) and a 170 metre 'B' section (same as the proposed new stations between Cardiff and Severn Tunnel Junction and sufficient for a 7-car class 197 lashup or a pair of 231s I think). Google Earth screenshot highlighting the area of the possible platform extension follows:
View attachment 149653

Coupled with the short (non-destructive) extension of platform 0 I proposed above, this could provide the following for the GWML side of Cardiff Central:
  • Three 170 metre through platforms (0, 3b and 4b*)
  • One east-facing bay (about 260 metres long) platform (platform 3a)
  • Three long (at least 260 metres) through platforms (1, 2 and 4a*)
This might work quite well with the Burns Commission proposal for the southern pair of GWML tracks to become the 'express lines', since platform 3 is positioned south of the through tracks and thus might be good as a bay for the southern pair of GWML tracks (currently the releif lines), but useless if the London services (etc.) still need to use the northern pair.

* I would renumber one of these as platform 5, or make the new 'B' section platforms 5a and 5b leaving the current 3&4 as-is, given the tiles in the subway refer to a platform 5 that doesn't currently exist
The wideway to the west of #3/4 is an interesting observation. I don't think the idea of swapping mains and reliefs wholesale throughout S. Wales is very likely, considering the freight facilities on the south side. The resignalling for electrification reconfigured and simplified the east junction significantly, further cementing the station split into distinct Main and Relief sides. The crossovers at Long Dyke and Moorland Rd Junctions are further out but much higher speed than the former Cardiff East pointwork. The setup still feels a little unfinished though. I expect like initially at Bristol East NR had to resignal the existing layout at Cardiff's West junction for the most part becasue there was not the programme time to accomplish a major remodelling, let alone a final spec all stakeholders had agreed on. The new signalling system should be easier to modify in the future, however, and I expect there to be a good case for layout simplifications in this very (overly) complex area.

On the #0 subject, it makes sense if all the 'main group' (#0,#1#2) are full intercity length for maximum flexibility. That is what makes lengthening #0 so compelling. It's not a good idea to send short trains across the main flow to call in a short platform on the north side, especially if more local trains in the future may then be using the relief side, the south pair, to Newport and just have to cross back again. That little car park area also provides plenty of space to widen #0 at the crucial east end where new access, facilities, and 1st class lounge might be arranged, relieving the main hall and subway of much of the London departure passenger flow.

With some track realignment (as shown below), I think space for an extended platform #0 might be found on the Taff bridge, which I have confirmed is not heritage-listed by Cadw, neither individually nor as part of the wider station group. The slew of the platform #2 track (line B) takes it across into the path of line C, the former up main which I would propose removing for the greater good. I'd still leave line D, the former down main as a through line and use it for access to a middle scissors (Cambridge style) partway along an extended and divided #3. The main reason for Line C slew is to ensure sufficient clear overlap is retained ahead of a down direction run-in to each and any of the main group, whatever may be crossing over in front at the west end. I think there's much opportunity for simplification of the West Junction and as I said before, if many eastbound Intercities are newly handled in #0, that makes #1 and #2 more available for other traffic, coming from the VOG or the depot, whether regional or intercity length.

1704561883216.png

Here's a sketch integrating some of these ideas. #0, #1, #2, are all shown full intercity length as is #5 (old #4). I've lengthened #3 into the space you identified and split with a scissors crossover partway along from the remaining through line. Removal of the other through line, in addition to allowing the slewing at the west end, also helps with more convenient maintenance access to equipment through the station such as the new scissors turnouts. Used predominantly by westbound regional trains. #5 is split into #5W & #5E. Trains normally draw forward into #5W, with #5E being a 'closing up' berth allowing shorter regional trains to clear the east throat and pull in to await their booked slot in #5W. Terminating trains can be scheduled to reverse in #5E behind a through train in #5W. The whole of #5 can be used by a long train if ever required to be diverted from the Main side of the station. That's the main reason I've also doubled the left hand ladder at Long Dyke Jn so this can take place at the same time as an eastbound regional departure from #4 (E.g an Ebbw Vale train running fast on the mains). I'm working on a simulation to show trains moving around and interacting on this layout

1704563243650.png

Smwrff

The Masterplans for Cardiff Central are being conceptually finalised and should become public in early 24. I understand that it includes a new concourse over the platforms - at the western end of existing main station building. Platform 0 will be extended east by the 'partial' demolition of main building - the facade is listed and will be retained - the rest of the building is architecturally worthless. There will be large development on South side of station. The whole platform area will become covered with tgecexisting platform buildings and covers being largley removed

NR have finally accepted that Cardiff Central is simply not fit for purpose (and is unsafe) and needs a massive redevelopment - not tinkering around the edges

Western 52

This sounds quite a radical redevelopment. It will be a shame to see the platform buildings go, as they are classic 1930s. It certainly needs capacity enhancement though. The stairs to the platforms can become very crowded.

Where will the funding source for the rebuild be from? I can't see Welsh Government affording it.

Smwrff

We really dont need a quaint 1930s relic....we need passenger safety and comfort
The latest proposals from a range of sources are below but very little finalised yet....

Network Rail:

Network Rail launches Cardiff masterplanning for key city centre regeneration opportunity (networkrailmediacentre.co.uk)

Transport for Wales:

Cardiff Central Enhancements | TfW

Cardiff Capital Region:

Metro Central - Cardiff Capital Region

Architects – Powell Dobson:

Powell Dobson Cardiff Central Railway Station

Regarding funding railway infrastructure is not devolved in Wales (unfortunately) so is responsibility of UK Government (Network Rail) But in reality it will be jointly funded by UK & Welsh Governments as well as Cardiff Capital Region.

MarkyT

Established Member
The Masterplans for Cardiff Central are being conceptually finalised and should become public in early 24. I understand that it includes a new concourse over the platforms - at the western end of existing main station building. Platform 0 will be extended east by the 'partial' demolition of main building - the facade is listed and will be retained - the rest of the building is architecturally worthless.
But it is still listed in its entirety. While I personally think it would be very worth sacrificing certain elements of historic interest for the greater good, as long as the important facade is retained, classifying the complex as a whole as 'worthless' beyond the facade isn't going to win the industry any favours when it is specifically listed as "the most complete example of GWR major city railway station of the period following the regrouping of the railway system"

I understand its a lot easier to build a new transfer deck over the station to relieve the subway and existing stairways than it would be to construct a new subway, it means going up very high from street level. At Reading that made sense as at least on the south (town centre) side the street approach is at platform level. Are there unused arch structures under Cardiff Central station that could be formed into new additional cross-passages from which new accesses up to the platforms above might be made, like London Bridge, or is the station raised above the surrounding ground on a solid earth-filled retained embankment? Does the masterplanning report discuss these alternatives?

We really dont need a quaint 1930s relic....we need passenger safety and comfort
The latest proposals from a range of sources are below but very little finalised yet....

Network Rail:

Network Rail launches Cardiff masterplanning for key city centre regeneration opportunity (networkrailmediacentre.co.uk)

Transport for Wales:

Cardiff Central Enhancements | TfW

Cardiff Capital Region:

Metro Central - Cardiff Capital Region

Architects – Powell Dobson:

Powell Dobson Cardiff Central Railway Station

Regarding funding railway infrastructure is not devolved in Wales (unfortunately) so is responsibility of UK Government (Network Rail) But in reality it will be jointly funded by UK & Welsh Governments as well as Cardiff Capital Region.
This image from the Architect's website shows the main facade retained with the extended platform 0 surface built back into the space occupied by the current hall. Note the little computer people visible through the screen glass wall 'on top' of current roof level. I think they must be on the transfer deck above the platforms as they're too high to be on platfrom 0 as track level is only three to four metres above street level in the station square. It's a good solution if they can swing it, albeit I'm not too keen on the styling of the new elements here which despite clearly being deliberately understated, still manage to overshadow the old facade due to their sheer scale. Would be nice to keep the front canopy and clocktower - you know time and railways, quite iconic!
161_335_image_View%201%20-%20Square%20View_draft%202%20Web%202.jpg

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
I’m not buying that politicians will allow public money to destroy a listed building once the uproar starts.
You can’t even put P0 through without destroying the impressive large concourse.

Call me cynical but it whiffs of an unacceptable plan so that less outrageous alternatives get approved and funding.
How many trains are really using five through mainline platforms - surely the lines either side aren’t running trains so closely they can’t cope?
Running more through trains or rebuilding the west end with Canton rejogged to provide better sidings would be the first call?

Smwrff

One of the architects renders (#2 in the sequence) seems to show Platform 0 extending along length of existing station building and beyond (to the east). One of the earlier plans (now dropped?) was to physically move the existing station building in its entirety to the north (and a bit east) - not that difficult from an engineering perspective but would be a challenge to maintain operations. Another plan was to install large underground concourses - similar challenge as above. So the overplatform concourse seems the most achievable solution.

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member
One of the architects renders (#2 in the sequence) seems to show Platform 0 extending along length of existing station building and beyond (to the east). One of the earlier plans (now dropped?) was to physically move the existing station building in its entirety to the north (and a bit east) - not that difficult from an engineering perspective but would be a challenge to maintain operations. Another plan was to install large underground concourses - similar challenge as above. So the overplatform concourse seems the most achievable solution.
This one I assume. The platform level seems to be at mezzanine height within the old building shell. People above that must be on the transfer deck (modern term for a wide footbridge).
161_331_image_Cardiff%20-%20View%202%20Web.jpg

td97

Established Member
I think space for an extended platform #0 might be found on the Taff bridge
Have you some evidence for this? As I posted above there certainly was a clear aspiration to commit extensive demolition and to accomodate IEP trains on platform 0 in the draft Welsh Route Study.
On the #0 subject, it makes sense if all the 'main group' (#0,#1#2) are full intercity length for maximum flexibility. That is what makes lengthening #0 so compelling.
Platform 0 will be extended east by the 'partial' demolition of main building - the facade is listed and will be retained - the rest of the building is architecturally worthless. There will be large development on South side of station.
show Platform 0 extending along length of existing station building and beyond (to the east).

See my previous post, which can be interpreted as a platform between the existing station building and River Taff, or approximately 173m platform length.
There's no aspiration to demolish the station building, nor build over the River Taff. Platform 0 will not be supporting 9*26m or 10*26m.
In the current plans, the maximum supported formation would be 8-car 387 or 5+2 MK4 + loco. The only IEP would be a 5-car.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
That thing is so very ugly.

NR have finally accepted that Cardiff Central is simply not fit for purpose (and is unsafe) and needs a massive redevelopment - not tinkering around the edges
This is not news - Network Rail have wanted this for many years, a massive redevelopment (including extension of platform 0 through the main booking hall building) has been on the cards since at least March 2015 (date of the draft Welsh Route Study I linked to above (and again here)).

the rest of the building is architecturally worthless.
If that's what Network Rail think, I'm disgusted and horrified (but not surprised, given the extent of demolition proposed in the earlier versions of the redevelopment proposals). The rest of the station is far from worthless - the whole booking hall building, main passenger subway and all the platform buildings on platforms 1 to 7 are all listed because of its completeness. It's all valuable because the whole is worth more than the sum of the parts - every little bit of historic fabric they demolish would be highly disrespectful to the listing in my opinion.

There will be large development on South side of station. The whole platform area will become covered with tgecexisting platform buildings and covers being largley removed
I think you have a typo there - I guess you meant to say "covered with ..., the existing platform" but I'm not sure what should go where I have put the three dots ...

Why do we have a system of listing buildings? I would suggest that, if we didn't 'need' 'quaint relics', then we wouldn't have listed buildings at all.

In the case of Cardiff Central, the key questions in my mind are:
  • do all the GWML platforms (ie. not those for the ValleyLines (platforms 6 and above)) need to be long enough to take a 12-car class 387 after a major event takes place in Cardiff?
  • can platform 0 be extended westwards, across the Taff and beyond the current pointwork giving access to platform 0, to allow IETs to use it as shown in MarkyT's proposal above?
  • where do we need the 1930s relic?
My own view is that, depending on the answers to the first two questions, there may be a strong argument to say that the answer to the third is that "it belongs in a museum" rather than on a working railway. However, finding a 'museum' that can take a 6-7 platform station*, and the task of moving such a large collection of buildings, is likely to be extremely challanging. Part of me would love it to be moved west to become a new St Fagans station, keeping it operational and linking in with the St. Fagans museum. However that would only really need two platforms (plus two through roads for non-stopping services) and I think the track there is at ground level which almost certainly makes installing the subway(s) impractical.

* I don't think platform 0 is listed, and of course there's no platform 5 at the moment

Smwrff

This one I assume. The platform level seems to be at mezzanine height within the old building shell. People above that must be on the transfer deck (modern term for a wide footbridge).
161_331_image_Cardiff%20-%20View%202%20Web.jpg
Take a look at the glass wall on the left and follow it till it intersects the station building. Not on the edge of the building but at the edge of the eaves - with people shown on the left of the glass wall, ie on an extended platform 0. Note also the level where this concourse (lets call it level 1 = platform level) intersects the station building - meaning that the existing ticket hall (on ground floor = level 0) will be no more. The main concourse level (level 2 - over platform) can be seen above, and I believe that the main access to level 2 will be at west end of existing station. You cant see this in this set of renders but you can see this clearly in the renders for the new south side building.

i think i meant to say: '...the whole platform area will be covered, with the existing platform buildings and covers removed.'

or 'decluttered' as one of the documents says..

The 'Ugly Building' referred to above is the new Multi-Storey Car Park, with construction just started, to replace the existing ugly surface car park. It is being built as part of a much larger development and will look a lot less ugly when included within a modern cityscape. Once built it will allow the south side of Central Station to be fully developed. This will become the main (only ?) entrance for all vehicle drop offs with a dedicated taxi rank included within the MS Car Park structure, as well as a Coach Station and eventually a tram stop, which will all be included under a covered concourse.
The north side of the station will become mainly (totally ?) passenger access and include a covered concourse to the new bus station.

This is progress and desparately needed - Grade II listing does not mean no change - it means that changes have to be well considered and subject to strict planning controls - and this appears to be what the architects are trying to do.
We can not keep Cardiff Central as a living museum - it has to be functional and safe - which is not currently the case.

I

Have found some more renders which show some of the early plans -
This old render shows the overplatform concourse to the west of the existing station building - the old 'wave' roof has been dropped in favour of the 'gold' roof and the concourse has been reduced in scale from two stories as shown in this render to single store

Last edited:

Smwrff

I think you have a typo there - I guess you meant to say "covered with ..., the existing platform" but I'm not sure what should go where I have put the three dots ...
i think i meant to say: '...the whole platform area will be covered, with the existing platform buildings and covers removed.'

The 'Ugly Building' referred to above is the new Multi-Storey Car Park, with construction just started, to replace the existing ugly surface car park. It is being built as part of a much larger development and will look a lot less ugly when included within a modern cityscape. Once built it will allow the south side of Central Station to be fully developed. This will become the main (only ?) entrance for all vehicle drop offs with a dedicated taxi rank included within the MS Car Park structure, as well as a Coach Station and eventually a tram stop, which will all be included under a covered concourse.
The north side of the station will become mainly (totally ?) passenger access and include a covered concourse to the new bus station.

This is progress and desparately needed - Grade II listing does not mean no change - it means that changes have to be well considered and subject to strict planning controls - and this appears to be what the architects are trying to do.
We can not keep Cardiff Central as a living museum - it has to be functional and safe - which is not currently the case.

I

Have found some more renders which show some of the early plans -
This old render shows the overplatform concourse to the west of the existing station building - the old 'wave' roof has been dropped in favour of the 'gold' roof and the concourse has been reduced in scale from two stories as shown in this render to single storey

Attachments

• 5924_81445_1.jpg
    5924_81445_1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
There seems to be quite a lot of platform to the West of the buildings, so I was pondering whether you could build a transfer deck over the western half.
Escalators going up through the site of the current M&S with a barrier line off the Central Sq and the current building retained as a food concourse/booking hall.
I reckon it could still drop platform escalators in relatively midway on the platforms whilst leaving the old buildings and canopies on the eastern halves.
No long through P0, but you could put in a P-1 to the north of P0 for trains terminating from the West.
Several options of what to then do with the current subways - keep, unbarriered through only pedestrian route for non-station traffic, transfer only etc etc.

Then rebuild the western throat (looks like it is still set up for lots of coal trains....) and clear the northern part of Canton to create an array of long parallel stabling sidings.

Smwrff

The transfer deck/concourse is over the western end of the station as you suggest. See this elevation from earlier design which clearly shows location of concourse although design has been radically changed and reduced in length and height.

Not sure if terminating trains from west will help - it is trains from east that are the problem....

I believe that one tunnel will be retained for platform to station exit only - no platform entry - with the other for north south pedestrian access only with no platform access

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109-165844_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109-165844_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
The transfer deck/concourse is over the western end of the station as you suggest. See this elevation from earlier design which clearly shows location of concourse although design has been radically changed and reduced in length and height.

Not sure if terminating trains from west will help - it is trains from east that are the problem....

I believe that one tunnel will be retained for platform to station exit only - no platform entry - with the other for north south pedestrian access only with no platform access
Why do they need that awful wavy roof?
Surely terminating trains from the West still block a platform, and there are a few of them, with hopefully more to come.
trains from the east could go into a reconfigured Canton, with an array of stabling sidings.

Smwrff

They have dropped the Wavy Roof design. Latest plans (the Gold Roof design) are as shown in #46 above. I used the Wavy Roof render only to show the possible position of the cross platform concourse..

But the Gold Roof design is not final and the concouse may have moved more centrally - we should know more very soon (Q1 24) when the Masterplan is published as part of the Planning process.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Are there unused arch structures under Cardiff Central station that could be formed into new additional cross-passages from which new accesses up to the platforms above might be made, like London Bridge, or is the station raised above the surrounding ground on a solid earth-filled retained embankment?
I've asked about this before but cannot remember every getting any replies - does anyone here know?

This image from the Architect's website shows the main facade retained with the extended platform 0 surface built back into the space occupied by the current hall. Note the little computer people visible through the screen glass wall 'on top' of current roof level. I think they must be on the transfer deck above the platforms as they're too high to be on platfrom 0 as track level is only three to four metres above street level in the station square. It's a good solution if they can swing it, albeit I'm not too keen on the styling of the new elements here which despite clearly being deliberately understated, still manage to overshadow the old facade due to their sheer scale. Would be nice to keep the front canopy and clocktower - you know time and railways, quite iconic!
161_335_image_View%201%20-%20Square%20View_draft%202%20Web%202.jpg
It could just be sloppy drawing, but even the main facade doesn't seem to have survived intact in that version of the proposals. Yes the big letters 'GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY' are still there, but as well as the little canopy along the front (which also wraps round onto the east wall at the far end) having vanished ALL the archways appear to be open to ground level, allowing passengers to walk through any of them. There really was very little of the 'most complete big-4 era major city station' left in that version - maybe the subway would have survived but I think the platform buildings and canopies would have gone.

Maybe you have seen the new proposals; I haven't. In the case of the gold-roof version (as pictured above, with no clock tower) I would strongly disagree that the architects had given much (if any) consideration to the listing. I would agrue that was not a change, but a near-total demolish and replace project. If that is necessary (and it may be, but I would want to see some evidence that the potental alternatives have been throughly explored) then I would argue that there is no point retaining that tiny remnant of the facade and they should instead be looking to move as much as possible of the listed building to somewhere like St. Fagans.

Is not it functional currently?

Where are the saftey issues? Wherever they are, I would proabably accept that they need to be addressed - but there may be ways to do this while retaining the museum element of it. If not, as I've said above, more effort needs to be put into preserving as much as possible either on-site or elsewhere - rather than just the token guesture of retaining part of the facade.

Any other issues can almost certainly be addressed in other ways with no damage to the listed building at all. For example, building a new toilet block on the car park on the south side behind platform 8 could remove the need for toilets on the platforms, allowing far greater provision that is possible in the platform buildings.

There seems to be quite a lot of platform to the West of the buildings, so I was pondering whether you could build a transfer deck over the western half.
Escalators going up through the site of the current M&S with a barrier line off the Central Sq and the current building retained as a food concourse/booking hall.
One of my ideas to avoid touching the historic parts of the station would be to do something like that (which would also provide easier access between platform 0 and the other platforms) AND also build a footbridge at the east end linking one of the upper floors of the new bus station building to platforms 1-8 beyond the end of the canopies (I think one of the architects proposals for the new bus station had something like this). There's less room at the east end of the platforms though so that one would have to be a footbridge (possibly with lifts only) rather than a wide transfer deck.

Several options of what to then do with the current subways - keep, unbarriered through only pedestrian route for non-station traffic, transfer only etc etc.
Assuming congestion in the subways is (one of) the safety issue(s), then the first thing I would try is ticket barriers at both ends set either to 'exit only' or 'entry only' so that they become mainly one-way (plus people changing trains between platforms) with the new bridges at each end being available to all station users.

I'm not sure that makes sense since one subway has stairs to/from the platform while the other has lifts. I guess the lift one could simply have the lifts locked out-of-use if alternative PRM access is provided via a new footbridge and/or transfer deck but I can't see an easy way to prevent passengers using the stairs to move between one platform and another without messing up the listed tiles.

No long through P0, but you could put in a P-1 to the north of P0 for trains terminating from the West.
I think a 170 to 200 metre long platform 0 (the most that can be done without losing access from Canton or impacting the booking hall) would be more useful than two short (100ish metres) platforms (one being your proposed west-facing bay).

Surely terminating trains from the West still block a platform, and there are a few of them, with hopefully more to come.
trains from the east could go into a reconfigured Canton, with an array of stabling sidings.
The indicative train service the NR route study assumed four trains per hour between Cardiff and Swansea for 2043 - two to Bristol Temple Meads (BRI) and two through the Severn Tunnel to Reading/London. The Maestegs (2tph) would run through too, 1tph to Ebbw Vale and 1tph to Abertillery. Nothing is shown to terminate at Cardiff Central from the west. 4tph from the Marches, 2tph from Gloucester, 2tph from BRI and 3tph through Bristol Parkway (2 Reading/London and 1 from Cheltenham) would terminate on the GWML side of Cardiff Central from the east. That's a total of 11tph coming in from the east and having to be turned round. Thus, there would seem to be a far-greater need for an east-facing bay (or several) than there is for a west-facing one. Other than political franchise silos, should capcity be found on the two-track railway west of Cardiff to increase the frequency, there is no obvious reason why any additional services from the west could not run through to one of the destinations further east.

They have dropped the Wavy Roof design. Latest plans (the Gold Roof design) are as shown in #46 above. I used the Wavy Roof render only to show the possible position of the cross platform concourse..
The gold roof design is itself at least 8 years old (an article featuring it is dated 2015) and, in 2018, was apparently dropped as too expensive (BBC article). The 2018 article shows a very ugly proposal for what I think is the south side and some very sketchy interior shots of the northern concorse showing new direct stairs leading to platforms 1 & 2 in place of the current subway.

Meerkat

Established Member
That's a total of 11tph coming in from the east and having to be turned round.
Sounds to me like rebuilding the northern bit of Canton into long straight stabling (maybe with servicing facilities) would be a big help.

Topological

Presumably it would help to have more central sidings to the West so that anything coming into 3 and 4 could take refuge before heading back out on 1 and 2?

Noted upthread that there is a plan to change the focus of the platforms to have all the GWR going through 0,1 and 2.

Getting TfW to ditch the Mk4 and get through running on the Manchesters again does not look so expensive when looking at the costs of some of these schemes though. (Obviously if a loco can be found with the necessary range then the Mk4 can stay)