• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cars and owner stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

8A Rail

Established Member
Over recent weeks, the theme continues with Audi drivers with their brains in their backsides I'm afraid! Sorry for anyone who drives an Audi on this forum, nothing personal but nothing will change my mind on this thought!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisC

Established Member
Driving standards have certainly deteriorated in recent years, and a lot of “stereotypical” behaviour is now commonplace.

Take indicators for example. Once a famously seldom-specified optional extra on BMWs, it appears other manufacturers have now followed suit and deleted them from their standard equipment lists…
I don’t think that the use of indicators have any connection to this thread title any more. The use of indicators in so many driving situations just seems to be going out of fashion. There seems to be very few drivers these days who use their indicators when intending to turn left or right at traffic lights. People just now seem to hopefully go into the correct lane without indicating and sit in a queue of traffic and then turn without indicating at any point. There also seems to be less drivers indicating, even on narrower country roads, when overtaking cyclists. Whether indicating is a legal requirement or not it does help drivers around to be aware of your intentions.

This morning I sat in a queue of about a dozen vehicles in the right hand lane at traffic lights waiting to turn right. I think I was the only one who had the indicator on and I am an Audi A1 driver!

Indicators, if used at all, are often applied far too late. They should indicate where you are going, not where you have gone. As a cyclist you have to be ever vigilante of being left-hooked. Grrr.

8A Rail

Established Member
Indicators, if used at all, are often applied far too late. They should indicate where you are going, not where you have gone. As a cyclist you have to be ever vigilante of being left-hooked. Grrr.
As well as being selected 'before' the use of your brakes rather than after you apply your brakes!!!

bramling

Veteran Member

Or on motorways where the right indicator seems to be “I have just made a sudden decision to change lanes to the right, I must do it immediately, and stuff everyone else”. I really wish this is something the police would clamp down on, people changing lanes into the path of others.

It doesn’t seem to be specific to any particular types of car though - in fact there’s a special version of it for white van man which is “I’m too dumb to realise that my van doesn’t have the power to overtake going up the approaching hill, but I must change lanes now anyway”.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Over recent weeks, the theme continues with Audi drivers with their brains in their backsides I'm afraid! Sorry for anyone who drives an Audi on this forum, nothing personal but nothing will change my mind on this thought!
I'd broaden that out to include BMWs, VWs (though only Golfs and larger), Porsches and especially Mercedes-Benzes. There's a theme emerging here,though it doesn't seem to apply quite so much in their homeland!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'd broaden that out to include BMWs, VWs (though only Golfs and larger), Porsches and especially Mercedes-Benzes. There's a theme emerging here,though it doesn't seem to apply quite so much in their homeland!

In my experience, Merc drivers are the worst for lane hogging. Much worse south east of the M42.

DustyBin

Established Member
It's a Vectra with fewer seats and the chassis stiffness sorted. :D

I part-ex'd it 6 years ago, at a Kent dealership; so I was very surprised to see it summer 2022, driving past my current car, only 3 miles from home on the Hampshire - West Sussex coast!

I’ll admit to having always found SAABs interesting (even the GM era ones!).

450.emu

Mercedes A-Class or B-Class. Most commonly in white with an illegally-spaced personalised number plate with raised lettering and bought on the never-never by those types who live in rabbit-hutch houses on new estates.
They go for Mercs because they don't want to be seen with a Vauxhall Astra on the drive when they think they can have a Merc for similar money.
Usually it's the GLA mini SUV around these parts, but they are well made and hold residuals better than a Peugeot Astra. Styling on all PSA cars is very similar, their Android Auto is as reliable as the Class 230 D Trains at Bletchley :E

There is also the slightly quirky GLB 7 seater, I think the team who did the seating on Greater Anglia's Class 720s helped with the layout and comfort :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DustyBin

Established Member
You can tell GM got involved with Saab later on - the one parked on the road really has the look of a Vectra.

Do you think? It looks more natural evolution of Saab design to me. I can sort of see the similarities around the lights and grill, but again they’re distinctly Saab.

thejuggler

From the Grauniad, possibly should be called its "no **** Sherlock" section:

Who'd have thought it ;)
The number of Subarus registered in the UK is so low (and the vast majority aren't WRX fire breathers with big pipes) I'd be interested to see how the analysis has been done that puts them in the top three.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The number of Subarus registered in the UK is so low (and the vast majority aren't WRX fire breathers with big pipes) I'd be interested to see how the analysis has been done that puts them in the top three.

It's probably "number of accidents per owner" or "number of accidents per mile driven". Neither of which have any impact on how many there are.

bramling

Veteran Member
It's probably "number of accidents per owner" or "number of accidents per mile driven". Neither of which have any impact on how many there are.

My interpretation of that article is that this is specifically relating to accidents where specific manoeuvres have been carried out. I might be getting the wrong end of the stick, however it doesn’t seem to be referring to all types of accident.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Last edited:

Ted633

And a 99 and a Carlsson! :D
Grey one is technically a Carlsson. It was Erik Carlsson's last Saab.

What's not to love. :) Is the "dead daily" save-able?
Possibly. Think it's got a fuel injection issue for me the 2nd time this year. Will attempt to fix it and will then sell it on for a few hundred quid. (Has over 200k on the clock, but has 8 months MOT.)
I do a lot of motorway miles, so can't really trust it anymore.

gg1

Established Member

I refer you to my previous post from a few months ago ;)

Subaru Impreza - middle aged man who hasn't grown out of his teenage boy racer phase.

bramling

Veteran Member
It looks like now is a bad time to admit I've recently bought a BMW... :oops:

BMW is a bit of an outdated stereotype. They are sufficiently common that their popularity will outgrow any stereotypical behaviours. In any case, “that” type of person now seems to find Audi more appealing.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I am also a BMW owner!

Swanny200

I had a 9-3 vector diesel, had astronomical miles for a 55 plate when I picked it up at 3 years old and was still going at 300k, was rapid for a 1.9 diesel unless it had been tuned beforehand (was the TiD not the TTID, only issues I had was the cd player and satnav playing up. Even now I still miss it

Established Member
BMW is a bit of an outdated stereotype. They are sufficiently common that their popularity will outgrow any stereotypical behaviours. In any case, “that” type of person now seems to find Audi more appealing.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I am also a BMW owner!

I completely agree. You're just as likely to come across somebody driving a Citroen, SEAT or Mazda who doesn't indicate or cuts across without looking, so it's hardly exclusive to BMW drivers. Out of interest, which BMW do you drive? I've got a 63-reg F11 520d Touring, which I'm really happy with so far, especially as it's a manual. I had an E39 528i a few years ago too, really starting to wish I'd kept it!

cactustwirly

Established Member
You can tell GM got involved with Saab later on - the one parked on the road really has the look of a Vectra.
It is a Vectra underneath, the diesels use Fiat engines from the GM/Fiat partnership.

Obviously Saab reworked the Vectra platform to make it more premium. In the same way a Jaguar X type or Volvo V70 of the same era isn't just a rebadged mondeo

bramling

Veteran Member
I completely agree. You're just as likely to come across somebody driving a Citroen, SEAT or Mazda who doesn't indicate or cuts across without looking, so it's hardly exclusive to BMW drivers. Out of interest, which BMW do you drive? I've got a 63-reg F11 520d Touring, which I'm really happy with so far, especially as it's a manual. I had an E39 528i a few years ago too, really starting to wish I'd kept it!

2000 520 E39 and 2015 520 F10. Both manual, which is quite a rarity on the F10. Likewise really pleased with both, the E39 is a wonderful machine.

DustyBin

Established Member
2000 520 E39 and 2015 520 F10. Both manual, which is quite a rarity on the F10. Likewise really pleased with both, the E39 is a wonderful machine.

I had a manual F10 520d (190) as a company car. It was very “adequate”, and I mean that in a positive way. It was decent to drive for what it was, and did everything without fuss.

Are the earlier cars with the N47 engine as problematic as the internet would have you believe?

m79900

Tall superminis such as Ford B-max, Vauxhall Meriva and Nissan Note are often owned by older people who have to look after grandchildren regularly, so want a small car, but need space to get big child seats in the back!

Status
Not open for further replies.