• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cars and owner stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
Hopefully French nuclear deterrent doesn't depend on electronics from Renault's supplier else the whole world is at risk.

Although in a similar vein I hope the no smoking signs near the Russian missiles are a little better than on some of their naval ships.

I've seen some accurate stereotyping in my time but this is fantastic and deserves a medal!!! I'd have claimed this as my own work!!!

When I drove back from Portree in tricky conditions, virtually every vehicle that had become a cropper on the icy corners was a SUV or 4x4. I could be wrong but I doubt they had given the icy conditions a single second thought. No doubt they overate themselves in general and have not quite grasped the concept of decisions equal consequences.

Yet there was me in a moderately powerful rwd car putting everything into my driving, proceeding with extreme caution where necessary and showing a huge amount of interest in what I was looking to achieve. I rate my driving ability as 5/10 maximum.

Given I've often posted that many don't understand the true cost of car ownership (especially true now that cars are likely to be used less because of WFH), claiming it as my own may have made people just think I hate car drivers (I don't, I design roads so need some people to carry on driving to carry on being employed - rather there's just too people driving).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GS250

And I understand the Renault connection shows in the reliability of new Nissans, electrical issues being a big one.

Nissan, another brand not to touch with a bargepole then. My partner has a 2018 Juke that has had all sorts of electrical issues. Not sure if that model is Renault influenced.

Cannot think of a single stereotype for a Juke. Loads of them in the Highlands though. Fairly sure footed on rough roads but won't break the bank iffy leccys or not.

dgl

Established Member
Hopefully French nuclear deterrent doesn't depend on electronics from Renault's supplier else the whole world is at risk.
It's interesting to note that whilst French automotive electronics aren't that great their electrical installation stuff from the likes of Schneider and Legrand is decent, Legrand making the nice square shaped slimline UK plug.

jackot

Saabs definitely used to be driven by architects or dentists. BMW 3 or 5 series driven by yuppie middle managers or salesmen. I find Jaguars are either midlife-crisis-mobiles bought by middle aged men or driven by newly retired men showing off to their neighbours the fact they drive a 'Jaaaaaaggg'. I can't help thinking of Audi TTs and MX5s as hairdresser cars either.

As mentioned corsas are definitely a victim when it comes to stereotyping. This is what I reckon the common ones are...
Old Corsa- 21 year old with a 14 year old girlfriend heading to McDonalds
New Corsa- 21 year old with a 14 year old girlfriend driving his mums car (without permission) to McDonalds
Corsa Van - 21 year old rogue trader

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Cannot think of a single stereotype for a Juke. Loads of them in the Highlands though. Fairly sure footed on rough roads but won't break the bank iffy leccys or not.

The stereotype for Juke drivers is that they are poor drivers. The Juke is a horrific car, glacial acceleration, turning circle if the proverbial oil tanker, poor driving position, there’s nothing good about it. If you choose to buy a Juke, then there’s question marks about your judgement in motoring matters.

(I may or may not have been stuck behind a Juke today for 5 miles in a 60 limit with them doing 35, in good conditions, but no overtaking opportunity.)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Toyota Prius - must be a taxi driver.
I can vouch for this - my parents own a Prius and when my dad is driving alone he has had a number of people try and open the back door thinking he is a private hire vehicle.

richw

Veteran Member
The stereotype for Juke drivers is that they are poor drivers. The Juke is a horrific car, glacial acceleration, turning circle if the proverbial oil tanker, poor driving position, there’s nothing good about it. If you choose to buy a Juke, then there’s question marks about your judgement in motoring matters.

(I may or may not have been stuck behind a Juke today for 5 miles in a 60 limit with them doing 35, in good conditions, but no overtaking opportunity.)
We’ve got a bright yellow Juke as a pool car at work. I would disagree with it being as bad as horrific. It’s ok. Nothing good about it, but nothing terrible about it neither.

bramling

Veteran Member
I can vouch for this - my parents own a Prius and when my dad is driving alone he has had a number of people try and open the back door thinking he is a private hire vehicle.

One of my relatives has a black Hyundai i30 and is constantly having that issue as well.

dgl

Established Member

and to think my step-mum (as motability cars I should add) had a bright yellow Juke AND a PT Cruiser cabrio! both terrible cars replaced with much better cars (a 'Ceed and an Ioniq)

Energy

Established Member
Very, very saddened by this. Although I am struggling to think whether the Fiesta and Focus (00s onward) have/had any particular reputation.
The Focus RS and Fiesta ST have a reputation but the normal ones don't have one which comes to mind.

As for Ford cutting production, that class of car has lower profit margins and is more difficult for Ford to compete with Dacia on the lower end. The chip shortage made Ford focus on its more premium models and the sales of the Fiesta dropped. Ford also need the production capacity freed up to produce the electric Puma.

Herefordian

Boring but comfy, well loaded and extremely reliable.

The Toyota Camry is another middle aged Asian drivers car. It's a bit more adventurous in design, if a little American. Again...very reliable though.

Can't believe I've just used the term 'well loaded'. That disappeared from motoring descriptions about 20 years ago!

I drive a Toyota Camry. Albeit a lesser spotted XV70. Superb car.

I'm not Asian, but at 42, I can't deny I'm middle aged!

hst43102

Also what is it with women driving an audi Q7??? Those buggers are simply enormous!
Just yesterday I saw an Audi Q7 stop in a traffic jam on a yellow grid blocking access to Newcastle Eldon Square bus station - que lots of angry bus drivers honking their horns at the driver - no surprises, it was a middle aged woman with sunglasses who clearly needs a massive SUV to pop down to the shopping centre.

D365

Veteran Member
The Focus RS and Fiesta ST have a reputation but the normal ones don't have one which comes to mind.

As for Ford cutting production, that class of car has lower profit margins and is more difficult for Ford to compete with Dacia on the lower end. The chip shortage made Ford focus on its more premium models and the sales of the Fiesta dropped. Ford also need the production capacity freed up to produce the electric Puma.
Ah the boy racer reputation… and there’s me wanting to upgrade to a ’sport’ edition at some point.

Yes I did think that it would be the Puma replacing the Fiesta.

The Ham

Established Member

It must be a cost run thing as to which has the worst turning circle the Juke or the Ford Grand C-Max.

The latter does at least have a lot of other things going for it (7 seats, sliding rear doors, decent power - at least the 1.6 petrol engine - and so on)

GS250

It must be a cost run thing as to which has the worst turning circle the Juke or the Ford Grand C-Max.

The latter does at least have a lot of other things going for it (7 seats, sliding rear doors, decent power - at least the 1.6 petrol engine - and so on)

They've sold loads of units though with the Juke. Dare I say, its mainly those who have little interest in cars or driving who buy them.

I drive a Toyota Camry. Albeit a lesser spotted XV70. Superb car.

I'm not Asian, but at 42, I can't deny I'm middle aged!

You are clearly an intelligent car buyer! That's one of the few remaining new saloon cars on sale that can actually be trusted. My natural path from a Mk4 GS is to an ES which I believe is a Lexus version of the Camry. It is very pricey for what it is though. Although you are paying for the engineering and likely reliability.

DustyBin

Established Member

Generally driven by handsome, charming and intelligent 30-something males presumably? ;)

The Focus RS out (or under?) does them both in this regard. Although you can always pop it in drift mode and rotate it more or less on the spot I suppose!

Energy

Established Member
They've sold loads of units though with the Juke. Dare I say, its mainly those who have little interest in cars or driving who buy them.
I think the bigger Qashqai might have carried it somewhat as well
Yes I did think that it would be the Puma replacing the Fiesta
The Puma is a bit more upmarket (they don't offer the base model on it iirc), not really surprising with Dacia eating the market for base spec Fiestas.
Generally driven by handsome, charming and intelligent 30-something males presumably? ;)
:D

GS250

The Focus RS out (or under?) does them both in this regard. Although you can always pop it in drift mode and rotate it more or less on the spot I suppose!

I think most are driven by people who look like Wayne Rooney......

E27007

The chip shortage has played into the car makers hands, instead of volume of sales, profit per car became important, in their report, VW group published a reduction by 20% ot total cars manufactured, and made reported far higher profits.
The chip shortage is predicted to run for another two to three years

Energy

Established Member
The chip shortage has played into the car makers hands, instead of volume of sales, profit per car became important, in their report, VW group published a reduction by 20% ot total cars manufactured, and made reported far higher profits.
The chip shortage is predicted to run for another two to three years
Indeed, most focused on their more premium cars with higher profit margins. Its why the Fiesta dropped as the top seller as Ford were more interested in other models.

Just yesterday I saw an Audi Q7 stop in a traffic jam on a yellow grid blocking access to Newcastle Eldon Square bus station - que lots of angry bus drivers honking their horns at the driver - no surprises, it was a middle aged woman with sunglasses who clearly needs a massive SUV to pop down to the shopping centre.
It's hilarious because they've gone from a hatchback I.E. a polo or similar to sumat 3x the size & like a sherman tank! There's a blonde lass near me with a black Q7 with her private reg K8TYG.

Also another blonde t'other day driving a black bentley SUV thing whatever it is.

The juke I've heard people call it a squashed beetle lmao.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Another unbelievable Juke driver tonight. On a single lane road with passing places, where it is a fairly tight squeeze for two cars to pass, the Juke driver stopped at least two feet out from the bank on her side, and expected me to go through. i motioned for her to reverse the 40 metres or so to a much wider passing pint, but she panicked, and so drew forward a bit to make the gap even smaller. I just about managed to get into the passing place, helped by copious swearing. Then when I was alongside with no forward path available, she drove off - in the direction of my back quarter. how she missed it I’ll never know.

I think I might start a separate thread for ‘why does anyone think the Juke is a car worth having’

GS250

Another unbelievable Juke driver tonight. On a single lane road with passing places, where it is a fairly tight squeeze for two cars to pass, the Juke driver stopped at least two feet out from the bank on her side, and expected me to go through. i motioned for her to reverse the 40 metres or so to a much wider passing pint, but she panicked, and so drew forward a bit to make the gap even smaller. I just about managed to get into the passing place, helped by copious swearing. Then when I was alongside with no forward path available, she drove off - in the direction of my back quarter. how she missed it I’ll never know.

I think I might start a separate thread for ‘why does anyone think the Juke is a car worth having’

To be fair, the 1.5TDi Juke isn't a bad motor. It's surprising nippy and returns decent mpg. It's got reasonable clearance for those who live on uneven terrain. And they are fairly cheap too. However...if Renault are doing the electrics on Nissans, then they are no longer considered a classic reliable Japanese motor....

PsychoMouse

And I understand the Renault connection shows in the reliability of new Nissans, electrical issues being a big one.
As for SUV's, my sister got the use of a Qashqai for half a day as a loan car, it was quite a downer for her having to get back in her micra!
She also breaks the micra stereotype having a 14 plate yet she is only in her 20's, admittedly the car was not her choice as it came from a relative that had become to ill to drive.
I had a 2016 Qashqai. Great car, loaded with kit, very comfy, supringly powerfult for a 1.2turbo.

Was brilliant right up until the timing chain snapped at 35,000 and practically exploded my engine.

GS250

I had a 2016 Qashqai. Great car, loaded with kit, very comfy, supringly powerfult for a 1.2turbo.

Was brilliant right up until the timing chain snapped at 35,000 and practically exploded my engine

Another timing chain broken story? Shocking. Simply shocking. Mate had a timing chain break on an Audi A7...yes ££££££

Timing chains snapping was extremely rare back in the day. Yes, they sometimes got a bit noisy at 100k+ but I don't recall one ever breaking.

DustyBin

Established Member
Another timing chain broken story? Shocking. Simply shocking. Mate had a timing chain break on an Audi A7...yes ££££££

Timing chains snapping was extremely rare back in the day. Yes, they sometimes got a bit noisy at 100k+ but I don't recall one ever breaking.

Like most things these days they’re engineered down to a price. The engine in my Granada is chain driven, it’s a huge duplex chain that will (and did!) eat through its guides before it stretches or snaps. Many of the chains I see on modern engines wouldn’t look out of place on a push bike!

PsychoMouse

Yeah its a fairly common story with them but I'd not come across an example of one on a Qashqai going that soon.

Thankfully I had a relative help me out with the outstanding finance and I managed to sell the car, without an engine, for enough to almost pay him back fully.

I just use the Mrs' Fiat 500 now. Great car.

GS250

Like most things these days they’re engineered down to a price. The engine in my Granada is chain driven, it’s a huge duplex chain that will (and did!) eat through its guides before it stretches or snaps. Many of the chains I see on modern engines wouldn’t look out of place on a push bike!

Yep. Was the same in my old Monza and Senator. You could have pulled a freight train with that chain.

This leads nicely onto another stereotype...

'Granada Man'

Always bought his car 2nd hand with a good few miles on it. Usually a Granada but could be a Rover SD1, Senator or in later years a Scorpio, Omega or Rover Sterling.

Was generally a middle aged-older middle aged white bloke with a beer belly and gravelly old voice. Probably worked in a timber yard and had been in a few scraps in his youth. Very friendly though and was always happy to tell you what a 'great runner' his car was.

Is now a bit lost really as to what to buy. Probably runs around in an older 5 series but will always tell you how expensive it is to run when compared to his old Granada 2.8 Ghia.

bspahh

Established Member
They are also engineered to a weight and efficiency. Add lightness and simplicate.

A Mk3 Granada is smaller than a Mk4 Mondeo. The 163 BHP diesel Mondeo is as quick as the 2.9 litre Granada. I've got a 140BHP Mondeo which is 0.7 seconds slower for 0-60 but gives 50mpg in real world driving. The timing belt change is 10 years or 125k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.