• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cat stuck down Liverpool railway embankment

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
In all seriousness, it's odd how we have a very high regard for some animals (dogs, cats etc), a medium level of regard for others (farm animals, for example), very little regard for others (flies, wasps) and no regard whatsoever for the rest (bacteria and the likes, which are still living things). And, bacteria aside, as they're out to kill us, it's purely cultural and differs between countries as to which fits which bracket.

Yes I tend to agree, cuteness to care ratio, and its definitely a cultural thing, I wouldnt dream of eating a swan or south American spider, but they are a probably a lot healthier than McDonalds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
In all seriousness, it's odd how we have a very high regard for some animals (dogs, cats etc), a medium level of regard for others (farm animals, for example), very little regard for others (flies, wasps) and no regard whatsoever for the rest (bacteria and the likes, which are still living things). And, bacteria aside, as they're out to kill us, it's purely cultural and differs between countries as to which fits which bracket.

Might be a good idea to find out how cheese is made and how we digest our food, (etc, etc).

I'm within a whisker of getting bored with this thread.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Slightly more on-topic, is there any news about the poor cat in question? I'm an owner myself (ours is a house-kitty due to the mortality rate on our local roads) and the thought of someone's cat trapped and calling for help within earshot is absolutely heart-wrenching.

I'm absolutely astonished at the callous nature of some of the comments on this story, most people see their cat or dog as a member of the family. Put yourself in their shoes (or paws) for a moment.

D1009

Established Member
Slightly more on-topic, is there any news about the poor cat in question? I'm an owner myself (ours is a house-kitty due to the mortality rate on our local roads) and the thought of someone's cat trapped and calling for help within earshot is absolutely heart-wrenching.

I'm absolutely astonished at the callous nature of some of the comments on this story, most people see their cat or dog as a member of the family. Put yourself in their shoes (or paws) for a moment.
No, that's because it's now old news. This is August, and newspapers like to sensationalise stories to play on people's emotions to fill space. I'm sure this kind of event happens regularly, very sad for the people involved, but in the global scheme of things is it really that important?

Trackman

Established Member
This thread reminds me of an old Fred Dibnah tale of a cat stuck on the ledge at the top of a chimney!

shredder1

Established Member

Apologies if my comments have upset you, it was not intentional, but some of us make light of tragic situations, had I have been on the ground at the time, I`d be the first to put a rope on and climb down the embankment. I am an animal lover too and yes pets are members of the family, all life is precious, indeed I lost my pet mouse a few years ago. He was called Elvis, I was devastated, he was caught in a trap :cry:.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apologies if my comments have upset you, it was not intentional, but some of us make light of tragic situations, had I have been on the ground at the time, I`d be the first to put a rope on and climb down the embankment. I am an animal lover too and yes pets are members of the family, all life is precious, indeed I lost my pet mouse a few years ago. He was called Elvis, I was devastated, he was caught in a trap :cry:.

That one made my morning. :lol:

BestWestern

Established Member

Absolutely superb!

Status
Not open for further replies.