• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cat stuck down Liverpool railway embankment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
Tell that to my cat...the most she likes to hunt in our garden is grass and then throw it up at various places around the house...

Mine too, in fact the only thing they hunt is a nice spot to curl up and go to sleep.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
My late Dad was a Station Officer at a very busy station and point blank refused to send any men up trees to rescue cats.
Infact, on one occasion his solution (to the apparent horror of the rspa officer and owner) was to get the high pressure hose out (branch?) and knock it out of the tree as 4 men with tarpaulin caught it at the bottom.
His point being that firemen had died in the past rescuing cats and wouldn't risk any of his men for "a bleeding cat".

My brother in law is a firefighter and he said rescuing animals is a good training exercise, as well as being great PR. And nobody is expected to put their life at risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antman

Established Member
Poor little cat and we all love our PET animals, but how many of us meat eaters even think about the slaughter of beasts on an industrial scale to keep us fed with our burgers, sirloin, rump etc :|

Personally I don't eat meat but I wouldn't assume those that do have no care for animal welfare.

6Gman

Established Member
Personally I don't eat meat but I wouldn't assume those that do have no care for animal welfare.

Going somewhat off-topic but ...

I eat meat, and yes I do care about animal welfare.

Which is why I don't eat chicken, because I don't feel it can be humanely produced.

Each to their own.

Antman

Established Member
Going somewhat off-topic but ...

I eat meat, and yes I do care about animal welfare.

Which is why I don't eat chicken, because I don't feel it can be humanely produced.

Each to their own.

Absolutely, proves the point I was making.

alxndr

Established Member
As far as I can see, there's a cat which may or may not be on railway property, with the only evidence of it being there is the sound of meowing despite attempts to find it and a trap. Furthermore, it may or may not be in a location that's at height, and thus dangerous to send people into.

I personally feel that Network Rail has done enough here. If it was known that the cat was there, and at least a rough idea of where it was then it might be a different story, but without any hard evidence that it is there there's only so much which can realistically be done. If they were to send people looking all over for it then when do you stop? After an hour? After five? After every last bit of foliage has been removed and rifled through? What about the next cat? Should NR create a special "cat rescue team" to search for every cat which might possibly be on the railway? The line has to be drawn somewhere.

However, it should be weighed up what the risk is of members of the public taking matters into their own hands and going looking for a cat which might be there. I feel this is the bigger issue. Are the people threatening to do so online really going to do it? Would it be negligent to do nothing now that they are threatening to do so?

cactustwirly

Established Member
What a truly stupid remark.

Agreed, If it weren't for meat eaters then there wouldn't be any demand for pigs, sheep etc. They would probably become extinct.

The dairy industry is more inhumane because male friesian calfs are shot at birth because the farmers cannot afford to keep them (no milk, and they produce very little meat)

Antman

Established Member
Agreed, If it weren't for meat eaters then there wouldn't be any demand for pigs, sheep etc. They would probably become extinct.

The dairy industry is more inhumane because male friesian calfs are shot at birth because the farmers cannot afford to keep them (no milk, and they produce very little meat)

Did you actually read what I posted?

Antman

Established Member
It seems people are reading would not care about animal welfare instead of wouldn't.

Indeed, maybe I should have worded it differently but it still seems crystal clear...............:oops:!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spartacus

Established Member

Total rubbish. Friesian bulls have a good amount of lean meat on them and are usually sold on to another farmer to be raised for beef, typically and mince. Given the price of milk these days they're a vital source of income for dairy farmers, and even if the price of milk was high the calves would be more than valuable enough to sell for beef.

Anyway, we're seriously off topic now.

baz962

Established Member
I think you must have a very narrow view of what "human progress" looks like.

"Cost" is an entirely artificial concept solely developed by humans to facilitate exchange and collaboration. Yes, money does presently rule our lives through our governments, however it doesn't define existence nor can it place value on life.

To value any life in terms of "cost" and to believe in a pecking order of existence that is based on monetary value is very limited.

You know I love animals my dog is my world but you just kind of argued a point that agreed with the people you are disagreeing with.
If cost shouldn't matter and I am not taking sides here just throwing something in then let the owner pay for the rescue after all the money should not matter more than their cat

BestWestern

Established Member
Indeed, maybe I should have worded it differently but it still seems crystal clear...............:oops:!

Indeed I also misread your post, so that's an apology from me as well. I read it as a suggestion that those of us who eat meat don't care about animal welfare, which it clearly (having read it properly!) wasn't.

My bad, sorry chap :oops:

Antman

Established Member
Indeed I also misread your post, so that's an apology from me as well. I read it as a suggestion that those of us who eat meat don't care about animal welfare, which it clearly (having read it properly!) wasn't.

My bad, sorry chap :oops:

No problem, I've misread a few postings before, easily done;)!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In all seriousness, it's odd how we have a very high regard for some animals (dogs, cats etc), a medium level of regard for others (farm animals, for example), very little regard for others (flies, wasps) and no regard whatsoever for the rest (bacteria and the likes, which are still living things). And, bacteria aside, as they're out to kill us, it's purely cultural and differs between countries as to which fits which bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.