• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Celebrity diesels - the most famous and popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Throw in a Class 23 for good measure.

Maybe the replica Ivatt 10002 as well..?

Re celebrity diesels - I’d say D1015 Western Champion would fit the bill as well and I don’t think that’s been mentioned yet.

tumbles

Maybe the replica Ivatt 10002 as well..?

Re celebrity diesels - I’d say D1015 Western Champion would fit the bill as well and I don’t think that’s been mentioned yet.
Are there any other sole remaining examples of class? Few of the shunters? Class 12 ?

Suppose you could also chuck in the prototype HST. It would be quite the gala

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are there any other sole remaining examples of class? Few of the shunters?

On the diesel side the prototype power car (41001) immediately springs to mind.
There are quite a few electric classes that only have one surviving member too - for example classes 71, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 and the class 89.

On Moderation
Suppose you could also chuck in the prototype HST. It would be quite the gala
That power car is not going to be operational unless there is a massive change in the Science Museum's policy.

AndrewE

Established Member
Seeing as 10000 and 10001 have been mentioned I will propose that by far the most famous Diesel engine (but obviously not the most popular) would be the Diesel in Rev W Awdry's "Duck and tne Diesel Engine!"

tumbles

That power car is not going to be operational unless there is a massive change in the Science Museum's policy.
Indeed I was just maybe talking hypothetically - not sure we’ll ever see the 41/71/40/31/52 from the NRM outside of York but it’s nice to dream.
Somebody could create 13004 for the occasion.
I’m sure people have commented in past that’s it’s not quite as simple as removing one cab and welding them together. Would love to see one put cab to cab as they were built tho.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seeing as 10000 and 10001 have been mentioned I will propose that by far the most famous Diesel engine (but obviously not the most popular) would be the Diesel in Rev W Awdry's "Duck and tne Diesel Engine!"

I reckon the Cobo would be pretty popular at Thomas events too!

D6968

I reckon the Cobo would be pretty popular at Thomas events too!
When 821 was in Green it was rather popular with its ‘Boco Metrovick Class’ plates! I recall a rather senior member of the DTG driving it at the time being questioned on ‘why this isn’t the real Boco’ by a younger member of the public one Thomas weekend!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When 821 was in Green it was rather popular with its ‘Boco Metrovick Class’ plates! I recall a rather senior member of the DTG being questioned on ‘why this isn’t the real Boco’ one Thomas weekend!

Just weld an extra axle on one of the bogies. It’ll be fine. ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That might only work on the Island of Sodor and Their attitude to the ORR :lol:

OK so I might just have accidentally started this thread:

DustyBin

Established Member
In response to the original question I think only “Deltic” comes close. I know non-enthusiasts who are familiar with it, I don’t think they’d know any other diesel loco by name (or number).

It does raise the question though; as it’s a non-runner and most won’t have actually seen it, has it found fame off the back of the subsequent production class? The conversations often seem to go something like “I remember seeing Deltics at Newcastle, they sounded great, have you seen the prototype at Shildon?”.

If it ever ran again I think it would be very popular with enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike.

Edit: Sorry I hadn’t read the original post properly, we’re talking within enthusiast circles here not amongst the general public!

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
46009 if you're over 50; Blown up dramatically as the BBC News main story to show us diesel was safe to haul Nukes.
edit it was a Deltic
You were right the first time. If BR had sacrificed a Deltic in that manner, enthusiasts would still be salty about it today!

Trackman

Established Member
55022 RSG stands out if it was to get out and about.
About 10 years ago I was stood at Salford Crescent station at around 7am and what should come through but 55 022 light engine.
There were no cranks about , but the commuters were very impressed - even commenting to each other.

Pigeon

Didn't Chris Rea do a song about Deltics ? That's fairly pop culture !

He did a whole album called Deltics. I bought it purely because it had a picture of the prototype Deltic on the back.

46009 if you're over 50; Blown up dramatically as the BBC News main story to show us diesel was safe to haul Nukes.
edit it was a Deltic

The Deltic as main story was the occasion of the very last arrival at KX, including some bloke going down on his knees and kissing the side of it.

46009 was of course a Peak, but despite that prominent news item I wouldn't call it much of a celebrity. Nobody seemed to find it significant even when it was a recent event. But I had a 46009 shirt at one point and 46009 is the unofficial TCP port for a train delay excuses daemon.

LiftFan

Not sure if it quite counts, but given the recent viral videos I'd say 73962 "Dick Mabutt" has gained more public recognition

Trackman

Established Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned D326 as an infamous celebrity diesel?
Was cut up very sharpish at Doncaster, but I believe was offered to the NRM beforehand.
There is a thread about it somewhere on here about it.
There’s a bit about it here Rob:

It had another accident didn't it?
---
This isn't fake news either.
I saw the clairvoyant on TV predicting it before the incident, I took note as being a young enthusiast.

Status
Not open for further replies.