• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Celia Drummond replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Some of the London Overground stations (like on the GOBLIN line) have gone from Anne in Silverlink days to Emma Hignett and then back to Anne again. A similar thing happened at Gatwick Airport and on the entire Southeastern network where Anne was replaced and then returned years later. I personally prefer Emma Hignett being used.

Unfortunately i have heard the London Overground are looking to replace the Amey system soon. So it is likely that Anne will be used on the entire London Overground network eventually. It is a real shame as i have always thought that Emma Hignett works very well at these stations and has become such a well known London voice.

The remaining London Overground stations that still have the Amey system with Emma Hignett are the very last stations in the UK with a BR era Ditra derived system still remaining. The voice has changed to Emma Hignett when LO took over and the system has been updated many times but this system dates back over thirty years from British Rail days. It will really be an end of era when this system gets replaced.
Indeed, we still get the circus horn warning for passing trains, delays or TfL style announcements on my section of the ELL.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stadler

Indeed, we still get the circus horn warning for passing trains, delays or TfL style announcements on my section of the ELL.
I love that circus horn sound. I wish that was used all across the UK network. It is very effective in getting the attention of passengers for fast train announcements and platform alterations announcements and various other important announcements. It previously used to be heard all over the Southern network until 2018 when they switched from Amey to Atos Worldline. It could also be heard on the Southeastern network until 2012 when they switched from Thales to Atos Worldline. Now these LO stations are the last places.

Anerley, Clapham High Street, Crystal Palace, Brockley, Forest Hill, Honor Oak Park, New Cross Gate, Norwood Junction, Penge West, Sydenham, Wandsworth Road, West Croydon, all still have the old circus horn sound.

route101

Established Member
Yes they have. Every station on the main Cross Country network has actually been recorded. Oxford, Reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton Airport Parkway, Southampton Central, Brockehurst, Bournemouth, etc, have all been recorded. All the stations on the route to Penzance have been recorded too. In fact she has even recorded, Devonport, Dockyard, Starcross, Menheniot, Lostwithiel, Quintrell Downs, St Columb Road, Roche, Bugle, Luxulyan, many other stations, etc, despite the fact they have no direct Scottish services. Alison Mckay has recorded a huge amount of stations.

You can see all of the Alison Mckay (Ketech) files here:

You can see all of the Scottish Female (ASL) files here:

So both of the two main voices used on the Scotrail network have recorded a large amount of English stations. Including many that are not served by direct trains from Scotland any more. They can both certainly announce Cross Country services to Reading and beyond.
Interesting. When XC serve Reading, Bournemouth and Guildford from Scotland which is rare now, there was no announcements made for these at Glasgow Central. This made me wonder.

Parallel

Established Member
Interesting. When XC serve Reading, Bournemouth and Guildford from Scotland which is rare now, there was no announcements made for these at Glasgow Central. This made me wonder.
Glasgow Central is voiced by Karen Cunningham rather than Alison McKay. Karen also ignores any announcements with Inverness Airport in at Glasgow Queen Street so she might not have those XC served stations recorded.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Glasgow Central is voiced by Karen Cunningham rather than Alison McKay. Karen also ignores any announcements with Inverness Airport in at Glasgow Queen Street so she might not have those XC served stations recorded.
I've heard Karen announce as far as Reading before, so the stations are in the system, but it depends on how far south she goes.

Mat17

Who is it that does the announcements at Manchester Piccadilly and has done since the early 2000s? Unless it's changed recently. Is this Celia or Anne?

route101

Established Member
Who is it that does the announcements at Manchester Piccadilly and has done since the early 2000s? Unless it's changed recently. Is this Celia or Anne?
Anne. Surprised how long Anne has been doing the announcements and is still getting rolled out.

I've heard Karen announce as far as Reading before, so the stations are in the system, but it depends on how far south she goes.
I suppose there was a token service to Reading from Edinburgh until fairly recently.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They should just hire Jon Briggs to do everything and be done with it.
It'd be a good voice to use. I can imitate Briggs' "Here are the nine contestants preparing for today's show. Only one of them will win up to ten thousand pounds... the others will leave with nothing," to a T. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.