• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central line - shortage of serviceable trains

Established Member
Had it been the usual way of working, I would agree; but that isn't how the underground works. To borrow a few trains from around the system, even if they were compatible, to overcome a serious but temporary problem, would require a massive staff training exercise as things are operated today. Not just drivers, platform staff, maintenance staff and even cleaners have to be trained.
I'm aware. The TOC I work for has just introduced a micro fleet of two units.

If there was such a need to do it, it's not impossible.

Other train incompatibilty is not the issue - other train non availability is.
Agreed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Just to add to the "use other trains".

There were a lot of plans for an interim fleet that could be used to cover the outer reaches shuttles and free up stock for CLIP.

This did include;

Replacing the W&C stock with 1972/1967 Hybrid stock from various sources and send the remaining 1992TS (Ex.BR out)
Re-building D78 double enders for the north end of the Hainault Loop shuttles.
Releasing 1972TS from the Bakerloo by uplifting the LOROL service to 6 or 9tph and curtailing the Bakerloo to Queens Park.

Also excluded from CLIP was;

Converting to 4 car units.

And way back, the floors work was also excluded, until SNC-Lavalin found out what state the floors were in.

But...

Management and strategy was not the best on CLIP when it eventually was incepted 6 years late, then delayed by the creation of "TfL Engineering" while also being delayed by the typical TfL head in sand approach to fleet managment. Note that I say TfL, not LUL.

I think you mean 'proprietary'.
Congrats, you managed to spot someone's poorer quality English.

I would post something more witty as a retort, but I thought I'd maintain the standards.

Lockwood

Why do cleaners need knowledge on different types? Is it as simple as doors open and close here, Hoover can go here, don't get this bit wet? Or something more technical?

Curious, not disparaging.

RingArm

Health and safety. Cleaners don't need more than a briefing but it still has to be done so they don't hurt themselves or break things.

Thirteen

TfL are moving towards having the same stock on different lines, the S stock is used on four different lines and the 2024 stock will eventually be used on four lines as well. I wonder if the Jubilee and Northern Line trains might be replaced with similar stock.

Nym

Established Member
TfL are moving towards having the same stock on different lines, the S stock is used on four different lines and the 2024 stock will eventually be used on four lines as well. I wonder if the Jubilee and Northern Line trains might be replaced with similar stock.
S Stock has at least four different versions used across the 'four' lines. 2024 stock will have at least three different lengths when fully deployed, and at least two signalling systems.

As much as TfL 'aspires' to common stock across lines, it fails at the first hurdle of letting contracts in an appropriate manner, let alone managing the delivery of their fleet so that there actually are commonality and compatibility between their fleets.

Established Member
S Stock has at least four different versions used across the 'four' lines.
I'm interested by this. I thought it was simply S7/S8!

Are you meaning the S7+1 and S8-1 or are there other variations too?

Nym

Established Member
There are some significant design variations within each class as well as the S7+1 etc. Mostly to try and "reduce costs" as how the client saw it, when in fact, the re-design work just made things worse.
(Not to mention TfL, Metronet and Litchurch Lane's obsession with round connectors, but that's a separate matter).

I'm interested by this. I thought it was simply S7/S8!

Are you meaning the S7+1 and S8-1 or are there other variations too?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I understand that there's a technical constraint on interrupting the current upgrade programme at a delicate stage, and using the half-sets. But from a political perspective if there are drivers but not enough sets then surely going to an emergency timetable would be helpful? There may be a lot of political heat from reducing the service at the quietest parts of the route, or supplementing with buses, but there's also political heat from trains being too full to get on in the City every Tuesday -Thursday peak, and so on and so forth.

thomalex

There may be a lot of political heat from reducing the service at the quietest parts of the route, or supplementing with buses, but there's also political heat from trains being too full to get on in the City every Tuesday -Thursday peak

Seems a good compromise to me

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Just to add to the "use other trains".

There were a lot of plans for an interim fleet that could be used to cover the outer reaches shuttles and free up stock for CLIP.

This did include;

Re-building D78 double enders for the north end of the Hainault Loop shuttles.
Are the platforms compromise height? Are any of the platforms north of Stratford compromise height?

Snow1964

Established Member
Are the platforms compromise height? Are any of the platforms north of Stratford compromise height?
Those built as the new tube (Leytonstone - Newbury Park) were tube height from opening in 1940s

All the others were as built by Great Eastern Railway, (except where additional platforms created, at Leytonstone and Hainault) although since ending of full size rolling stock, track has been raised at some.

xtmw

... and a signalling problem in the South Woodford era. Not a good day for the Central line at all!

Point failure not related to rolling stock
Indeed, a cracked rail at North Acton Junction. Trains routed to West Ruislip only with an emergency speed restriction.

Last edited:

MaidaVale

Would it be worth introducing an emergency timetable? It seems that only about 10% of trains are cancelled (more at weekends) but this leads to long gaps because of the way that the timetable is structured.

Latest rumors are that another is in the works to reduce the service further. Hopefully this one actually makes a difference, as the last one didn't help us all that much in the end.

Let's just say I'm glad that I'm no longer on the Central line as the problems that the near future looks to be holding are not ones I'm keen to deal with. I don't see this issue getting much better any time soon, regardless of a timetable reduction.

bramling

Veteran Member
It’s fortunate this shortage of trains is only happening now that the Elizabeth line has opened.

It has been going on for some years, what we are seeing at the moment is a particularly rough section of a very big patch.

I remember quite a few years ago talking to a driver who had transferred to Hainault from another line. Even then it was remarked upon how much of a novelty it was that “the trains are so unreliable that half the time your train is cancelled”.

It’s quite a shame really, as when they work the trains are operationally quite decent, and the ATP/ATO system is in principle so much better than the Thales system on the Jubilee, Northern and sub-surface lines.

My sad prediction is the whole situation will probably come to a head when something safety-related occurs. It’s hardly great that the control staff, themselves under-resourced as a result of Covid and heavily reliant on overtime, are working flat out every day having to manage the constant shortage of both drivers and trains. I’m sure we can all see what the possible consequence of this could be.

MaidaVale

It has been going on for some years, what we are seeing at the moment is a particularly rough section of a very big patch.

I remember quite a few years ago talking to a driver who had transferred to Hainault from another line. Even then it was remarked upon how much of a novelty it was that “the trains are so unreliable that half the time your train is cancelled”.

It’s quite a shame really, as when they work the trains are operationally quite decent, and the ATP/ATO system is in principle so much better than the Thales system on the Jubilee, Northern and sub-surface lines.

My sad prediction is the whole situation will probably come to a head when something safety-related occurs. It’s hardly great that the control staff, themselves under-resourced as a result of Covid and heavily reliant on overtime, are working flat out every day having to manage the constant shortage of both drivers and trains. I’m sure we can all see what the possible consequence of this could be.

Yeah the situation in service control isn't great at the minute on the Central, but it's slowly improving and is certainly pointing in the right direction. There are a number of new trainees either at or headed for Central service control which should help alleviate the pressure on them somewhat.

The time I spent up there was during the worst patch of shortages during spring/early summer 23 when there were little-to-no trainees, and the levels of strain were really bad. At least they shouldn't have to struggle with lack of control staff AND lack of trains simultaneously too much anymore.

Not sure if I agree with you on the point about the ATP/ATO system personally, but I work on a conventional line so I'm probably not entitled to much of an opinion haha (I have worked with both the Central and Northern systems previously however)

contrex

Don't quite understand how that can be. A failed motor can be rewound, there's any number of places that can do that sort of work.
We had some absolutely ancient DC motors (and 3.3kV AC for that matter) at a factory I worked at. Every so often one would flashover and be sent away for a rewind. No big deal. OEM was long since out of business.
I'm sure I read some years ago (in connection with the 1938 stock on the Isle of Wight) that the industrial base, skills, etc, for that sort of work was waning at quite a rate, to the extent that there weren't that many firms to choose from any more.

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
I'm sure I read some years ago (in connection with the 1938 stock on the Isle of Wight) that the industrial base, skills, etc, for that sort of work was waning at quite a rate, to the extent that there weren't that many firms to choose from any more.
There's more than you think. I've never known it be an issue to get a motor rewound, even very old DC stuff.
Whether you have a whole load of procurement internal rules and approvals that mean you can't just go to the market is an internal issue for TfL/LU. But there's no shortage of places able to do this work.
I even know of an industrial equipment manufacturer that builds their own motors in house, from scratch to their own designs. Had a tour round the place years ago and was astonished to see a guy assembling a largeish motor from base components (that had been manufactured in house).

stuu

Established Member
There's more than you think. I've never known it be an issue to get a motor rewound, even very old DC stuff.
Whether you have a whole load of procurement internal rules and approvals that mean you can't just go to the market is an internal issue for TfL/LU. But there's no shortage of places able to do this work.
I even know of an industrial equipment manufacturer that builds their own motors in house, from scratch to their own designs. Had a tour round the place years ago and was astonished to see a guy assembling a largeish motor from base components (that had been manufactured in house).
A friend of mine runs a small business making distributors and alternators etc for vintage cars. My impression from talking to him is that there is a lot of skilled cottage industry-scale manufacturing, but the medium sized enterprises just aren't there any more, and that's the sector that is needed to support a fleet of trains

contrex

A friend of mine runs a small business making distributors and alternators etc for vintage cars. My impression from talking to him is that there is a lot of skilled cottage industry-scale manufacturing, but the medium sized enterprises just aren't there any more, and that's the sector that is needed to support a fleet of trains
In the wider world of industry, DC commutator motors have been on the decline since the late 1970s, when AC motors with VFD started to come in. Typical story:
I was working for Phillips Driscopipe (Petroleum) making polyethylene pipe. I wanted to try a DC to AC conversion but management was hesitant to change. Our Baldor rep offered us a free trip to Fort Smith to learn more. Well to make a long story short we converted a 250 HP first. It went smoothly and management liked it so much we started converting each time a DC motor was toast. In no time we had 12 lines running AC. About 6 years. They have never looked back. It is now SOP for the other plants around the country.

D7666

main line 313 / 317 / 319 GEC (EE legacy) motors even in 2010s years there was only one contractor in British Isles could do those DC motor overhauls.

note I said British Isles, as the outfit was based in Dublin, and not part of a GB company.

it is not true there is no shortage; there is a shortage, and is based on people with the skills to actually do the job

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It’s fortunate this shortage of trains is only happening now that the Elizabeth line has opened.

To me it seems like the motor replacement was probably slightly planned around the opening of the Elizabeth line.

However February will be interesting on the weekends; Stratford - Shenfield is having its regular annual closure so hordes of Elizabeth line and Greater Anglia passengers are going to be descending on Newbury Park by bus, and that could get interesting if the service is still in Severe Delays on a busy Saturday...

contrex

Re my posts above about the demise of the classic DC motor, I should make it clear that I feel rather sad in a way about that. They were the first electrical machines I learned about (via an interest in railway electrification). The mysteries of under, level, and over compounding, how to clean a commutator, cooking off moisture, starter design... Believe me, I'll miss them.

Sunil_P

11 minute wait at Newbury Park this morning - with the Greater Anglia rail replacement crowd too! Better coming back from town in the afternoon - Newbury Park train within 5 minutes.

xtmw

The service wasn't that bad yesterday - one of the depots ran a full service yesterday ! But then again, it was Sunday so less trains were required.