• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changes to SWR Super Offpeak tickets from September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I guess it could just be the wording "evening out" which can be confusing at they might define evening as after 5/6pm and not at 1;30pm which in most people's eyes is the afternoon.
It's far from a sensible name. The Sunday ticket is priced the same. That name at least does make sense.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
nickw1 says they paid the "Offpeak" fare which is £1-odd more. Depending on how it was purchased, they may have reason to complain.

Ticket machine at Southampton Central, at around 13:25. £5.70 sounds about right.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I guess it could just be the wording "evening out" which can be confusing at they might define evening as after 5/6pm and not at 1;30pm which in most people's eyes is the afternoon.
My thoughts as well. Pretty stupid name for a ticket available in the afternoon.

I read somewhere that they also aren’t appearing on the top ten front screen of TVMs, you have to go via the alphabetic menu…

nw1

Established Member
We would probably have been able to comment more usefully if you'd mentioned the specific price you'd paid today!

It sounds like you should have paid £4.50 today. Before the September fares this would have been £4.80.

Just checked, I did indeed pay £5.70.

Sounds like the wording on the ticket machine was dodgy, something I suspected but didn't want to mention until I had harder evidence.

I'm hardly going to choose an 'evening out' ticket at 13:30, so they really should have called it something else. I wonder if this wording is a cynical attempt to get people not in the know to overpay?

Thanks for confirming this - I will know next time that evening starts at lunchtime! ;)

Whose “green agenda” are you referring to? If it’s the government’s you need to be well aware that actions and words rarely coincide.

Quite, it was supposed to be a sarcastic comment on the TOCs' paymasters.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Ticket machine at Southampton Central, at around 13:25. £5.70 sounds about right.
I don't know SWR's machines - did you have to choose an outward train to get the fare options? If so, even more reason to complain.

Alex365Dash

I don't know SWR's machines - did you have to choose an outward train to get the fare options? If so, even more reason to complain.
SWR’s ticket machines don’t have a journey planner in them.
South Western Railway has an incredibly well hidden ticket machine price guarantee that might come in useful here.
South Western Railway said:
Ticket machine price guarantee

In the unlikely event that you buy a ticket from one of our self-service machines, and then find a cheaper one for the identical journey, you could be entitled to a refund for the difference.
Your best bet would probably be making a refund claim under the ticket machine price guarantee above.

nw1

Established Member

No, just had a list of ticket options. Typed in destination, got options. Assumption is you're travelling now.

SWR’s ticket machines don’t have a journey planner in them.

South Western Railway has an incredibly well hidden ticket machine price guarantee that might come in useful here.

Your best bet would probably be making a refund claim under the ticket machine price guarantee above.

OK - thanks for that.
To be honest I am not interested in a refund of £1, I just wanted to know if I was getting the correct ticket, and whether a cheaper option would be available in future.

Now I know I can get the evening ticket at lunchtime, I'm happy. So thanks for the replies :)

Starmill

Veteran Member
No, just had a list of ticket options. Typed in destination, got options. Assumption is you're travelling now.

OK - thanks for that.
To be honest I am not interested in a refund of £1, I just wanted to know if I was getting the correct ticket, and whether a cheaper option would be available in future.

Now I know I can get the evening ticket at lunchtime, I'm happy. So thanks for the replies :)
You don't necessarily have to request a refund for £1, you can simply write pointing out that their ticket names are counter-intuative and that as a result of that you paid more than you needed to. This then defends the principle without the hassle of insisting on a claim.

miklcct

On Moderation
Just found out that an evening single / Sunday single from Bournemouth to Holton Heath is cheaper than one to Hamworthy.

James H

It seems that these changes have opened up some opportunities for split ticketing on longer journeys like Bournemouth to London that didn't exist before.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It seems that these changes have opened up some opportunities for split ticketing on longer journeys like Bournemouth to London that didn't exist before.
I wouldn't shout too loudly about them or they might not exist for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.