• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TFL_Rocks

I never passed my 2nd stage. I wonder if there will be any trainee driver vacancies coming up anytime later this year?

Thanks

J03LY

Good afternoon all, I really appreciate all the information and advise you give on here. I applied back in February and last month I done my VSE at home. I haven't heard back since. Just wondering what you guys think. I really hope I have meet the grade. Thank you in advance.

clarets2005

Good afternoon all, I really appreciate all the information and advise you give on here. I applied back in February and last month I done my VSE at home. I haven't heard back since. Just wondering what you guys think. I really hope I have meet the grade. Thank you in advance.

12LDA28C seems pretty well informed and may know something that I don't, but I believe some depots are being prioritised over others for a number of reasons.
You should hear back from the recruitment team eventually, but recruitment on the railway has a reputation for being very slow at times, so patience is probably the best thing for now.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Of the people who took the online VSE test in late May, the majority passed and those people should be invited to attend OPC at Watford for testing very shortly. Those who failed should already have been informed so I would say if you have heard nothing so far, it might be good news.

J03LY

Of the people who took the online VSE test in late May, the majority passed and those people should be invited to attend OPC at Watford for testing very shortly. Those who failed should already have been informed so I would say if you have heard nothing so far, it might be good news.
Thank you for your comment, I know I have to be patient and that I will be. I would like and love to get into a career with Chiltern railways. I am really keen and passionate about it. Without trying to sound stupid. Once again thank you.

12LDA28C seems pretty well informed and may know something that I don't, but I believe some depots are being prioritised over others for a number of reasons.
You should hear back from the recruitment team eventually, but recruitment on the railway has a reputation for being very slow at times, so patience is probably the best thing for now.
I understand patience is required and it's just the feeling of the unknown. If you have passed or failed. I will keep my patience as it will be worth the wait if I am successful. Thank you for the comment

mr_roggger

Phone call from the nurse that conducted the medical within the hour after the doctor had confirmed the results. I understand a doctor has to interpret the ECG, the nurse was able to give the OK on everyhting else (on mine at least).
email from HR with the contract the next day. This was somewhat shorter than I was led to believe - the nurse said that the urine alcohol/drugs test could take up to 48 hours to process, but I got the OK from HR in fewer than 24 hours.

RoyalE3091

Phone call from the nurse that conducted the medical within the hour after the doctor had confirmed the results. I understand a doctor has to interpret the ECG, the nurse was able to give the OK on everyhting else (on mine at least).
email from HR with the contract the next day. This was somewhat shorter than I was led to believe - the nurse said that the urine alcohol/drugs test could take up to 48 hours to process, but I got the OK from HR in fewer than 24 hours.
Thanks for the response as I would no doubt have asked after when did you hear back from your results.

I actually meant in regards to having the medical booked, did HR phone or email you to book a date in?

Last edited:

mr_roggger

HR booked an appointment for me, and emailed me with about 2 days' notice. Fortunately I was able to book time off of work at short notice and attend. There was an option to reschedule though.

Hey mate. Just wondering, I'm still waiting for some feedback on my application earlier this year for Marylebone. The DB website still says the application is in process however I've not heard anything back since. I'm going to assume I've not been shortlisted however do you know of anyone I could speak to at Chiltern to ask the question? Even a generic email address would help. I already have a full set of OPC passes from late last year so thought that I would at least have been shortlisted. Thanks for the help.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hey mate. Just wondering, I'm still waiting for some feedback on my application earlier this year for Marylebone. The DB website still says the application is in process however I've not heard anything back since. I'm going to assume I've not been shortlisted however do you know of anyone I could speak to at Chiltern to ask the question? Even a generic email address would help. I already have a full set of OPC passes from late last year so thought that I would at least have been shortlisted. Thanks for the help.

If you have a full set of OPC test passes including VSE then you should have been invited straight to interview so I'm not sure what's gone on there. If you haven't previously taken the VSE then you should have been invited for that. I'll make some enquiries.

Lewlew

I’m in the exact same boat as you. However, when I click on the application on the DB portal it comes up with something like “an error occurred, try again later”

SuperS16v

If you have a full set of OPC test passes including VSE then you should have been invited straight to interview so I'm not sure what's gone on there. If you haven't previously taken the VSE then you should have been invited for that. I'll make some enquiries.

Is this just the case for Marylebone? I have a full set of recent OPC passes from January with VSE and haven’t heard anything since the 2nd questionnaire with Moor Street.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Is this just the case for Marylebone? I have a full set of recent OPC passes from January with VSE and haven’t heard anything since the 2nd questionnaire with Moor Street.

That should be the case for anyone who has applied at any Depot, however there is a delay whilst the start date for the next trainee course is finalised due to Banbury recruitment for EWR taking priority because of the timescales involved.

Anyone who has applied for Marylebone and has a full set of OPC passes including VSE should have been invited for interview. Anyone who has full OPC passes not including VSE, should hear something soon depending on the outcome of these interviews which are due to take place in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Lushyavfc

That should be the case for anyone who has applied at any Depot, however there is a delay whilst the start date for the next trainee course is finalised due to Banbury recruitment for EWR taking priority because of the timescales involved.

Anyone who has applied for Marylebone and has a full set of OPC passes including VSE should have been invited for interview. Anyone who has full OPC passes not including VSE, should hear something soon depending on the outcome of these interviews which are due to take place in the next couple of weeks.
I have the original OPC pass, not the VSE but I also haven’t heard anything since the first questionnaire, but it says my application is still in progress so I’m not holding out much faith

12LDA28C

Established Member
I have the original OPC pass, not the VSE but I also haven’t heard anything since the first questionnaire, but it says my application is still in progress so I’m not holding out much faith

As previously mentioned on here, the people currently dealing with recruitment at Chiltern are very busy with other jobs so be assured that things are moving ahead, albeit very slowly.

I had the full set. And they were pretty recent. I don’t mind not being called or being excluded for any valid reason, it just would be good to know either way because I have other applications with other TOC’s in play and some of them require the CBI so will have to make some decisions about which ones to go for in the coming months. Appreciate the help.

Effnjeff

I'm delighted to report that I got selected for Banbury and will be on the August course. Is there anyone else here also on the same course?
Also, can anyone recommend some learning or reading that would be useful in preparation for the course?

12LDA28C

Established Member
I'm delighted to report that I got selected for Banbury and will be on the August course. Is there anyone else here also on the same course?
Also, can anyone recommend some learning or reading that would be useful in preparation for the course?

I would advise not to do any prior learning as everything you need will be provided on the course. It helps if everyone is 'on the same page' on Day 1 of the course so you can all learn together as a team. You will be expected to do some homework away from the classroom environment so that should keep you busy enough. There is a lot to take in.

Effnjeff

I would advise not to do any prior learning as everything you need will be provided on the course. It helps if everyone is 'on the same page' on Day 1 of the course so you can all learn together as a team. You will be expected to do some homework away from the classroom environment so that should keep you busy enough. There is a lot to take in.
Thank you for the advice, it makes good sense. I'll sit tight for now, but I'm itching to get started.

RoyalE3091

Yhup I'm on the August course as well. See you there.

mr_roggger

Congratulations all, I'm attending my manager interview next week. Any tips for interview? How was yours? Thanks
Best advice is to read these forums re. the typical DMI questions. I found the information here invaluable in structuring answers in advance of my DMI, much the same as it was for the MMI.

My DMI was relatively relaxed. I treated it as more of a conversation with questions asked back and forth between both parties, rather than the one-way questioning ("grilling") in the MMI.

amateugraphy

Best advice is to read these forums re. the typical DMI questions. I found the information here invaluable in structuring answers in advance of my DMI, much the same as it was for the MMI.

My DMI was relatively relaxed. I treated it as more of a conversation with questions asked back and forth between both parties, rather than the one-way questioning ("grilling") in the MMI.
Thank you, best of luck with your training!

Effnjeff

Congratulations all, I'm attending my manager interview next week. Any tips for interview? How was yours? Thanks
mr_roggger has put it perfectly above as this was exactly my experience too.
There were quite a few competency based questions just like in the MMI and as you would expect in any job interview. The guys who interviewed me were great, and it felt more like a friendly chat than an interview. Good luck!