• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 172

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
More pictures on test here, including full length track running.

http://www.old-dalby.com/present.htm

I'm unsure how well the new transmission packages and engines have done, will find out hopefully fairly soon. All I've heard is that it goes like the clappers off the mark!

Aictos

Established Member
Probably a improvement on the 150s, any idea what the 150s are like vs the 172s for passenger capacity, how fast it takes to full operating speed ie 75 on the LOROL and 100 on the LM.

Still, could we see better timetabling on the NLL between Gospel Oak and Barking due to the better acceleration of the 172s?

WillPS

Established Member
Is it just me that finds it weird that LM's and LO's Turbostars are both classified as 172s, despite being quite substantially different, when there are things like 158s and 159s where the differences are trivial.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Im not convinced you are going to get much out of them timetable wise, whilst they go like the proverbial off a shovel from a stand Ive heard the doors take an age to do. What you gain in A-B time is shafted by the dwells.

anonymous0101

172 specifically - I would imagine the bogies being based on the 220 / 222 design would be good for it, and the 6 speed transmission would help with acceleration / hillclimbing ability.

Line speed on Gospal Oak to Barking line is 50 mph. The fastest line speed on LOROL lines is 60 mph. North London Line and Euston to Watford (DC lines)are 45 mph maximum.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Has anyone managed 125mph with a mechanical transmission, I'd have thought with the higher horsepower engines Electric would have been the way to go. Voyagers accelerate rapidly too, but are pegged from max performance

Fincra5

Established Member
Those bogies make the train look quite different from side-on.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Id be interested to know the technical reason why the exhuast manifolds stick out as much as they do on these, and then drop down before bending back upwards towards the outlet/exhuast pipe...

I think it is because the bogies have inside frames, ie the frames are within the wheelsets, like on 220s. On older DMUs eg 158s the exhaust passes over the bogie, between it and the underside of the coach, where there is room available for it. So on these the only room is outside/above the wheels.

Be interesting to see the real thing close up but I'd expect the horizontal pipe is still within the bodyside limits, and the drop down before bending up will be to form a smooth curve for the gas flow, I think.

So now you might ask where does the exhaust go on a 220? Up through the carriage at the inner end of the bogie, and the inner end of the lobby. You can see where it comes out on the roof...

the sniper

Established Member
Are there any pictures of the London Midland ones yet?

I haven't seen any, buy RAIL said in their most recent issue that work has started on LM's 172's. I'm dying to see them! :D

RAIL also said that LM should now be getting their first units in Autumn.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
All the current ones do- but the 172s do, in fact, use mechanical transmission- that's why it has been mentioned.

Wyvern

Established Member
It's a six speed automatic. Presumably epicyclic with a fluid flywheel.

anonymous0101

Torque converter changing to fluid coupling? Same as on 15X's and 170's? Which would make it Diesel Hydraulic wouldn't it?

I read somewhere it is a 6 speed ZF automatic perhaps similar to what is used in buses and some coaches. However this transmission is limited to around 360 bhp.

Status
Not open for further replies.