• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 175 future speculation

Philip

On Moderation
For a fleet of 70 vehicles you really don't want to be splitting the fleet into two micro-fleets with different operators.

Mediocre top speed? Same as a 168.
Atypical gearing? From my experience they're rather more sprightly than the asthmatic 168s and 170.
Chiltern main line absolutely suits them.
Well they won't all be going to Chiltern, I think that is nailed on considering 165s and 168s won't be leaving. So it'll either be two micro fleets or they all go to a different operator (probably Northern).

Multiples of 2 isnt what Chiltern want to do.

They had a "business zone" but they have got rid.

Multiples of 3 in double formation is surely even worse though, as that will increase the operating costs?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mmh

Established Member
That isn't a problem with 158s as they have unit end gangways so you can just couple them together, but the 175's lack of gangways makes them less user-friendly as 4/5-car trains.
Exactly, pretty much the only fault with the 175 design was no gangways and a different coupler to everything else they ended up working with. The magic of the new post privatisation railway with no standards. Elsewhere, couplers were changed to get around that. That 175s were incompatible with sprinters was madness.

Sadly, we haven't learned. The same happens with every new build.

tomuk

Established Member
Multiples of 3 is surely even worse though, as that will increase the operating costs?
Currently Chiltern 168s are a mixture of 2 3 and four car sets as you can imagine this is difficult to diagram. They want to move to three car sets but that would leave one spare centre car.

Wolfie

Established Member
Currently Chiltern 168s are a mixture of 2 3 and four car sets as you can imagine this is difficult to diagram. They want to move to three car sets but that would leave one spare centre car.
That would seem sensible albeit Southern's fun and frolics with the former Scots 170s suggests possibly non-trivial. I'm sure that a 170 operator (e.g. Cross Country) would happily grab a spare centre car.

tomuk

Established Member
That would seem sensible albeit Southern's fun and frolics with the former Scots 170s suggests possibly non-trivial. I'm sure that a 170 operator (e.g. Cross Country) would happily grab a spare centre car.
Chiltern were hoping to gain some sets rather than lose the centre car but if they were compensated with extra 175s.

Philip

On Moderation

In that case a logical solution would seem to be converting the 168s into all 3-car formation, spare centre car goes into a 170 elsewhere and six 3-car 175s (or even 3-car 170s to covert to 168s) join the fleet to replace the six loco-hauled sets.

Wolfie

Established Member
In that case a logical solution would seem to be converting the 168s into all 3-car formation, spare centre car goes into a 170 elsewhere and six 3-car 175s (or even 3-car 170s to covert to 168s) join the fleet to replace the six loco-hauled sets.
That would represent a significant capacity cut.

Philip

On Moderation
That would represent a significant capacity cut.

But as stated before, Chiltern are looking to reduce operating costs and increase stock efficiency - it has been suggested that they may not even replace the LHCS if it goes.

tomuk

Established Member
six 3-car 175s (or even 3-car 170s to covert to 168s) join the fleet to replace the six loco-hauled sets.
Six would be waste of time and would attract all the disadvantages associated with small micro fleet. I would suggest all the 175s go to Chiltern. The 3-cars in six car sets on the Long distance Birmingham\Oxford- Marylebone and the 2-cars for East West Rail services. You could base them at Bletchley. Any resulting overcapacity can be dealt with by 165s going to GWR in the South-west.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think there is a need to be realistic here about what the DfT will allow regarding the length of Chiltern services. Chiltern has managed with 3 and 4 car services between London and Oxford / Birmingham for a long while and will continue to do so. The availability of 175s is unlikely to lead to lots of off-peak 6-car trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’m not sure if the 175s would be able to maintain anywhere near the standard of comfort the LCHS provides. In a pinch they could do but there’s no urgent need to replace them as far as I’m aware.

Without a doubt 175s are more comfortable than the piece of junk that is the InterCity 70 seat.

Other than 1st the only decent Mk3 Chiltern had was the one in the Banbury set with the Arriva interior with Grammers. Yes, they look like your Nan's front room but that doesn't give seat comfort.

Yes, 150s are just about the only thing they’re an upgrade for!

Oh no, from what I could tell that was quite a high quality offering, I presume it’s still there just declassified now?

Still 1st on some services, declassified on others. It was catering that was dropped.

Energy

Established Member
Chiltern has managed with 3 and 4 car services between London and Oxford / Birmingham for a long while and will continue to do so.
Usually a couple units a couple with some services being 7 cars long... well they were meant to be but were often shortened due to Chiltern not having enough units.

With the 172/1s gone and mk3s getting older it will be a bigger squeeze at Chiltern.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Can't say I've been on a 175 but I'd sorely hope they don't sway around and have gangway squeaks worse than a MK3. As for replacement the coaching stock certainly isn't getting any younger....

They are awful, awful things. All stink of p*ss with rubbish seats. I feel sorry for whichever TOC they end up with.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Mediocre top speed? Same as a 168.
Atypical gearing? From my experience they're rather more sprightly than the asthmatic 168s and 170.
Chiltern main line absolutely suits them.
They absolutely fly between Wilmslow and Crewe. In my experience they will get to 100 mph faster than a 158 will reach 90.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well, based on that and that alone, probably EMR for Nottingham-Liverpool seeing as we get the rubbish that other TOCs are done with :lol:

Eh? Liv-Notts got brand-new 158s when they were first a thing, and has always had those 158s except for a short period when it got, er, brand-new 170s, under Central Trains. Though 156s do show up, I suppose.

QSK19

Eh? Liv-Notts got brand-new 158s when they were first a thing, and has always had those 158s except for a short period when it got, er, brand-new 170s, under Central Trains. Though 156s do show up, I suppose.
Comment made in jest in light of cascades of the CT 15x, ex-LNER HSTs, 360s, 156/9s, etc. It’s as if EMR are used to cascaded stuff in poor condition; so the comment was more EMR-related with the Notts-Liverpool as an example of an EMR service as opposed to being aimed at the route specifically 8-)

Rich McLean

Established Member
The 175s would also be perfect for Cardiff-Penzance in a mixture of 2, 3 and 4 car formations, where there 100mph top speed can be utlized, but due to the cost of training crew and fitter familiarisation, the DfT won't send them there. Still think they will end up in the North West, to release 156s to Heaton, to in turn release 158s to GWR. I cannot see them going to Chiltern and expanding the fleet.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
You are the first person I have ever heard say anything bad about Class 175 seats. And legroom is excellent.

They basically feel like a modern Mk2.

Yeah legroom is alright to be fair; I think they're too reclined though and the armrests are far too low for anyone of a reasonable height.

craigybagel

Established Member
The 175s would also be perfect for Cardiff-Penzance in a mixture of 2, 3 and 4 car formations, where there 100mph top speed can be utlized, but due to the cost of training crew and fitter familiarisation, the DfT won't send them there. Still think they will end up in the North West, to release 156s to Heaton, to in turn release 158s to GWR. I cannot see them going to Chiltern and expanding the fleet.
Someone's going to have to pay for crew training wherever they go, even if it's the North West. Too long a period of time has passed since the entire fleet was allocated to the Wales and Borders franchise.

Philip

On Moderation
Someone's going to have to pay for crew training wherever they go, even if it's the North West. Too long a period of time has passed since the entire fleet was allocated to the Wales and Borders franchise.

That's why Northern seems the most logical place if the fleet is not split up, as Northern can utilise them all efficiently (by cascading Sprinters). Chiltern cannot do that unless they get rid of their 165s or 168s which isn't going to happen in either case if the report is anything to go by. Splitting the fleet between TOCs would mean extra crew training costs, so I think 175s to Northern and Northern 170s to Chiltern for conversion to 168s (if they decide to replace the LHCS) would make the most sense.

On Moderation
That's why Northern seems the most logical place if the fleet is not split up, as Northern can utilise them all efficiently (by cascading Sprinters). Chiltern cannot do that unless they get rid of their 165s or 168s which isn't going to happen in either case if the report is anything to go by. Splitting the fleet between TOCs would mean extra crew training costs, so I think 175s to Northern and Northern 170s to Chiltern for conversion to 168s (if they decide to replace the LHCS) would make the most sense.
You're not making any sense. There's a clear indication in the Chiltern business plan document about 175s going to Chiltern. As for getting rid of 165s or 168s, all it says is "the Operator shall introduce a HyDrive fleet fitment programme in respect of all the Class 165 units comprised in the Train Fleet": there is no indication of what the size of each fleet will be. You cannot assume the fleets are as now; the DfT has the right under the current contracts to move stock around as it sees fit by directing operators to do so.

GWVillager

I’d argue GWR could utilise them well, to add to the recurring Cardiff-Penzance suggestion. The fleet replace the 2+4 HSTs on all the routes they operate, as well as the interregional services of Cardiff-Portsmouth, Great Malvern-Southampton, and Worcester to Westbury. The inadequate 165/166s could then be cascaded to the South West to replace the ageing 150s. This would mean that two elderly and unpopular (be it with the public or ASLEF) fleets are withdrawn, whilst upgrading or maintaining passenger comfort, all without requiring new trains.
I don’t think depot fitters/crew training is really much of a factor- they’re quite unusual trains so it’s more or less a level playing field- and their North West operation was so long ago it might as well be forgotten. That said, areas that have had 180s might have an edge (I suppose including the North West slightly), and GWR seems like the only likely candidate in this regard (though they were stabled at Worcester weren’t they?).

There's downsides too to GWR use. They're not gangwayed throughout (as a 158 is), so a 4 or 5 car formation would need traincrew swapping between sets. Would RMT 'do a 360' and demand multiple crew? Additionally they can't work in multiple with anything else and I don't know anything else in the West with Scharfenberg couplers, in case of breakdown.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation

I don't think Northern's 170's are going anytime soon - its been discussed plenty of times about that.

175's feel like a good idea!

Rich McLean

Established Member
There's downsides too to GWR use. They're not gangwayed throughout (as a 158 is), so a 4 or 5 car formation would need traincrew swapping between sets. Would RMT 'do a 360' and demand multiple crew? Additionally they can't work in multiple with anything else and I don't know anything else in the West with Scharfenberg couplers, in case of breakdown.
They cannot, 158s are useful for tagging 150s to when moving them on and off branches or dropping down a spare and towing back a failed unit.