• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 175 future speculation

Lurcheroo

Sure by oversee I mean someone responsible for the overall operation yes, I certainly wouldn't expect someone hovering over every person to ensure they have done a job correctly.
I would expect such an individual however to be someone experienced with the maintenance work that needs to be done and should be performing random spot checks to verify that the work has been completed correctly.

I agree we won't really know if corners were deliberately cut by CAF or as you very rightly pointed out that an maintenance step was missed. I would however question if they kept the old experienced staff on that nobody spoke up and questioned if the procedures were changed by management? I would hope now however that wherever they end up these maintenance procedures have now been well documented and they can continue with a new TOC for many years to come without issue!
It’s hard to say exactly what did or didn’t happen, but it wasn’t TFW who should’ve been maintaining them properly.

Unfortunately I don’t work at Chester so don’t know the depot staff there and know if they kept the same people or not. You would certainly hope they do they did they would’ve been willing to speak up and not allow something so crucial to be missed.

Yes, the GWR rumours seem plausible and I think they would be a good fit, I’d love to see them have a ‘good home’ where they can be made good use of.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
Wouldn’t the contract have asked for the units be kept in condition suitable to be returned at the end of the lease, and any extensions needed whilst achieving that standard would be at the maintainers‘ cost?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Apparently 175s going to GWR is just a rumour and isn’t happening? So I am being told?

Lurcheroo

Apparently 175s going to GWR is just a rumour and isn’t happening? So I am being told?
It is just a rumour, it seems like people have been able to substantiate that it was being considered but was not confirmed by any mean.

Where are you heading that it’s not happening ?

TheWalrus

Established Member
It is just a rumour, it seems like people have been able to substantiate that it was being considered but was not confirmed by any mean.

Where are you heading that it’s not happening ?
I can’t go into much detail, but Someone has said GWR have said they’re not taking them? All I will say is, I don’t think the source was an official source!

I have also seen at least three of them have been parked at Ely Does this suggest at all they will not be going to GWR? Or could they be going there then to GWR?

Energy

Established Member
I can’t go into much detail, but Someone has said GWR have said they’re not taking them? All I will say is, I don’t think the source was an official source!

I have also seen at least three of them have been parked at Ely Does this suggest at all they will not be going to GWR? Or could they be going there then to GWR?
Angel's rolling stock for lease/disposal has them as available Q2 2024. There hasn't been an announcement from GWR but they need more stock for the Mid Cornwall Metro.

Apparently, the TfW 150/2s are in pretty bad condition so it's unlikely they'd make their way across.

REVUpminster

Exeter depot seems good at keeping rolling stock in service. They did it with the 143s and are doing it with the 150/2s. They could use the Welsh 150s for new services and spare parts.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Exeter depot seems good at keeping rolling stock in service. They did it with the 143s and are doing it with the 150/2s. They could use the Welsh 150s for new services and spare parts.
It's the corrosion and exam requirements that is the problem with TfWs 150s, they're in a really bad state.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Oh well, we can just muddle on then with short formed trains.....if your right it's frankly criminal , a real waste of good trains.
I agree, just what someone told me unfortunately. Hopefully they do go back into service.

Nym

Established Member

Xavi

Reported on WNXX Forum today by a credible source that a deal has been been put together for GWR to receive all 27 175s and half a dozen 2 or 3-car units from elsewhere.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Reported on WNXX Forum today by a credible source that a deal has been been put together for GWR to receive all 27 175s and half a dozen 2 or 3-car units from elsewhere.
I'd quite like to know where those additional units will come from.

On Moderation
I wouldn’t trust that ATL document too much. Some of them 153s are already gone.

Hint: look at the GCR
Likewise some of the HST vehicles have also changed owner.

And the formations of the 175s are wrong in that list!

Energy

Established Member
It's the corrosion and exam requirements that is the problem with TfWs 150s, they're in a really bad state.
Indeed, the TfW ones are very corroded.
The extra units is expected to be cascaded and dependent on being replaced at the current TOC.

Angel own both the 165/166s and the 175s. If Chiltern gets additional stock then some of their 165s doesn't seem unlikely.
I wouldn’t trust that ATL document too much. Some of them 153s are already gone.

Hint: look at the GCR
Yes, it isn't fully up to date.

Lurcheroo

TfW have 24x 158s, the additional half dozen could easily be them if this deal is legitimate.
Well, slight flaw. how can you sign a deal on an asset this is not available ? No one knows for certain when TFW’s 158’s will be available.

brad465

Established Member
Well, slight flaw. how can you sign a deal on an asset this is not available ? No one knows for certain when TFW’s 158’s will be available.
Okay, so what stock in storage right now could this theoretically cover? The suggestion of 165s from Chiltern above presumably wouldn't do as they're not available either.

Caaardiff

We're also talking about one post about a credible source after recently discussing that the previous rumour of fleets going to GWR that was also from a credible source has also been said to not be happening.

Xavi

previous rumour of fleets going to GWR that was also from a credible source has also been said to not be happening
What source?

The contributor on WNXX says the operator that will release the extra 6 or so 2/3-car units must receive replacement stock first.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Angel own both the 165/166s and the 175s. If Chiltern gets additional stock then some of their 165s doesn't seem unlikely.
Just in terms of thinking what stock is likely to be available on a shorter timeframe, let’s work with Chiltern gaining the entire fleet of ex-TPE mk5 sets. As I understand it there are more mk5 sets than Chiltern has mk3 sets in active service, which may allow an internal cascade with 168s taking on some duties that are currently run by 165s. This could possibly provide a source of 165s to transfer to GWR.

Established Member
Just in terms of thinking what stock is likely to be available on a shorter timeframe, let’s work with Chiltern gaining the entire fleet of ex-TPE mk5 sets. As I understand it there are more mk5 sets than Chiltern has mk3 sets in active service, which may allow an internal cascade with 168s taking on some duties that are currently run by 165s. This could possibly provide a source of 165s to transfer to GWR.
That’s believed to be all off - few million being thrown/wasted on nursing more years out the Mk3s instead.

The exile

Established Member
That’s a pretty massive increase if true - even allowing for HST replacement, Mid Cornwall Metro and Metro West enhancements.

Xavi

That’s a pretty massive increase if true - even allowing for HST replacement, Mid Cornwall Metro and Metro West enhancements.
Yes it would be although GWR never received the 769s either and consequently GWR regional services are struggling for stock even before service enhancements in Cornwall, Devon (Cullompton / Wellington), and Bristol. Also, too many 5-car IETs are operating from Paddington due to being used on Cardiff-Penzance.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Also, too many 5-car IETs are operating from Paddington due to being used on Cardiff-Penzance.
Isn't that a matter of the train supplier not meeting agreed contractual levels of availability rather than there not being theoretical capacity in the fleet to provide units for Cardiff to Penzance? Effectively bringing in more stock is letting the train supplier off the hook?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Isn't that a matter of the train supplier not meeting agreed contractual levels of availability rather than there not being theoretical capacity in the fleet to provide units for Cardiff to Penzance? Effectively bringing in more stock is letting the train supplier off the hook?
Who's to say hitachi aren't footing the bill for the additional stock?however the 80x were not intended for the route so I wonder if they had enough without those issues to run the service with 80x.